Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm surprised just how much nothing has been going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I love the airplane on the ante-penultimate panel here.

At least we can't accuse the artist of having traced a photo, I guess.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Cat Mattress posted:

I love the airplane on the ante-penultimate panel here.

At least we can't accuse the artist of having traced a photo, I guess.

I like her art but moments like that remind me of her gun that shot 50% more bullet per bullet

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I gave up on this webcomic last May after it got really disappointing and self righteous and started disappearing up its own rear end.

Has it gotten better?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I gave up on this webcomic last May after it got really disappointing and self righteous and started disappearing up its own rear end.

Has it gotten better?

It's stopped saying anything at all, so...yes?

On the other hand, the comic still seems to feel it's self-evident that inserting super soldiers into domestic disputes is the best idea ever. It's baffling.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

[...] and this whole call center thing seems like it might be a gambit to make the comic more episodic and get out of the idea of Allison having to fix everything.

Huh. I'm surprised how plausible that sounds.

I can totally see it. Someone calls with some problem (it's not like there's a shortage of legitimate problems that do exist and are insufficiently addressed and/or under-reported), Allison ruminates about how she cannot just punch the other party no matter how much she would like it, she is Right at someone over a few pages of monologue, some manner of conclusion is reached (maybe?? Am I giving too much credit?), wait for next episode.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wittgen posted:

It's stopped saying anything at all, so...yes?

On the other hand, the comic still seems to feel it's self-evident that inserting super soldiers into domestic disputes is the best idea ever. It's baffling.

I'd like to see Alison try to solve a domestic abuse car by punching a hole in a guy and realize that isn't a great answer either.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

rotinaj posted:

I'd like to see Alison try to solve a domestic abuse car by punching a hole in a guy and realize that isn't a great answer either.

Allison stands there, looking at her hand. Beat panel. Mary phases out of invisibility, gives her a high-five, and then disappears back. Chapter ends.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Alison needs to get better at picking people up and moving them around without hurting them or looking like she's intending to hurt them. Being able to wade in to a violent situation and hoist one of the participants away like a fussy toddler sounds like it would be pretty handy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Allison needs to take a "how to fireman's carry" course from John Cena.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You would think as a literal firefighter she would have gotten some information on that front.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think her "lift someone up to save them" and "lift someone up to threaten them" instincts are different, as you might expect.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think her "lift someone up to save them" and "lift someone up to threaten them" instincts are different, as you might expect.

In the strip where she saved the hunky guy from the fire, she uses a grip that would not hold up well to any kind of strenuous situation. Super strength is great until you are carrying someone in a slippery grip and they begin to fall. Then what do you do?

(Grab on tighter!)

And then the victim has two nice crush injuries from Super strength. But I'm mostly nitpicking a choice made for artistic and plot reasons. They were face to face so she could fall in lurve with that dude.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just punch the fire.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Allison is doing things to help people instead of moping about how she can't fix everything all at once, actual jokes and stuff that have made me chuckle at least and there doesn't seem to be any sign of dumb poo poo on the scale of the last chapter on the horizon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I sort of miss the comic trying to deliver a message, because without the quandries or even the ham-fisted moralizing, there's nothing but Allison, the most physically powerful person in the world who is breezing her way through college and having a great life and it's boring.

Total snoozefest.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gee, I wonder if Allison's new professor is a bad person.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There are a few interesting places they could take this discussion, but since the prof's going a bit too far towards bully and Allison to "oppose the bad guy", I doubt it'll go there. After all, Allison did used to have a clear axiom with a very public breakdown when it was challenged (the whole "we have powers so we're the best people to fix things" thing), and that's great example material to discuss in a... less adversarial, more comfortable setting. I don't think personal exploration is the place to go on the first day of class, you need to get people on the same page first as far as terminology, and even when such things do open up the teacher should be the first to show weakness.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Gee, I wonder if Allison's new professor is a bad person.

I went and read the last two pages of this shuddering disaster of a comic, and let me tell you how excited I am to see a webcomic interpretation of a philosophy class. :geno:

Why is she even studying philosophy, wasn't her whole thing learning about how to make a positive impact on the world? I guess that starting a NGO that is literally acting as an on call bodyguard service is the kind of thing we'll imply goes on off panel, this is where the real struggle is. Made worse by the fact that we've had her deal with an unfair teacher before, back when this comic actually told compelling stories; which has now been awkwardly referenced. Probably the worst part is that they had the teacher level what has to be the most inappropriate condemnation of people who don't subscribe to, or cannot articulate, an absolute moral principle. An automaton would have nothing but axiomatic behavior.

Bruceski posted:

There are a few interesting places they could take this discussion, but since the prof's going a bit too far towards bully and Allison to "oppose the bad guy", I doubt it'll go there. After all, Allison did used to have a clear axiom with a very public breakdown when it was challenged (the whole "we have powers so we're the best people to fix things" thing), and that's great example material to discuss in a... less adversarial, more comfortable setting. I don't think personal exploration is the place to go on the first day of class, you need to get people on the same page first as far as terminology, and even when such things do open up the teacher should be the first to show weakness.

On the other hand it's a philosophy class and this guy is living up to the legacy of Socrates by arguing in bad faith and pushing his interlocutors into a rhetorical trap.

akulanization fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 6, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I dunno, I like where this is going actually. A cynical critical thinker telling Allison to explain her motivations? Ok :shrug:

akulanization posted:

On the other hand it's a philosophy class and this guy is living up to the legacy of Socrates by arguing in bad faith and pushing his interlocutors into a rhetorical trap.

And what's the problem exactly?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

And what's the problem exactly?

I was disagreeing with the post I quoted. I don't think cracking jokes about philosophy is bad; I have a very low opinion of philosophy as a discipline honestly. And there's nothing wrong with his approach from a rhetorical perspective, but I don't trust them to write this well. They've already called a basic rhetorical trick a bullying tactic. Winning an argument because you're better at arguing isn't bullying. I'm just saying that the socratic method isn't "fair," but teaching isn't supposed to be fair.

I don't trust them to make it interesting or narratively satisfying. I'm pretty sure this is going to devolve into Allison vs Strawman part XIV. You can read a point into the jokes he's making; I'm betting that that is putting in more thought than the writer did though. Ultimately this sequence really only has value if she's wrong. Allison hasn't been portrayed as wrong in a long time.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
You sure? I thought Allison consistently hosed up almost every major goal she's attempted for the last, like, three issues.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I don't think Allison is "they" in this case. I've had several philosophy profs, and this guy is very much the dude they have teach 101 to get people interested. I will be disappointed if Allison just steamrolls him, and honestly he's already holding his own, so I don't think that's where the comic is going with it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

I don't think Allison is "they" in this case. I've had several philosophy profs, and this guy is very much the dude they have teach 101 to get people interested. I will be disappointed if Allison just steamrolls him, and honestly he's already holding his own, so I don't think that's where the comic is going with it.

Yeah, last time she had trouble with a professor she found out by getting a failing grade on a paper and just getting dismissed outright when she questions it. This guy is actively trying to get her to tell him what she thinks, and is showing genuine interest which you'd probably expect from someone who takes philosophy and their students seriously. What someone who is essentially invincible thinks about ethics is a fairly interesting question.

It's a cliche but this is more likely to go in the, adversarial jerk professor ends up being the one who teaches the student the most in the end, or something along those lines. Paladin can't be the one to push Allison in the same way since she's pretty much her support network atm.

That's my best guess anyways.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 7, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm hoping he actually challenges her about her goals and the things that motivate her, because basically nobody ever does that. Mary had her stabby thing going on but that was more about Allison trying (and failing) to challenge Mary's goals. Well I guess one or two exchanges with Patrick have gone that way, but she threw coffee cups at him and poo poo :shrug:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
To borrow a term from the political cartoons thread, Christ, What An rear end in a top hat.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mean philosophy prof looks so pleased with himself for calling Allison a tyrant :xd:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"A is equal to A", she says.

She talked about making the world better by getting rid of Ayn Rand worshipers, but here she goes pretending the Law of Identity is her core value, just like an Objectivist.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well, he's not exactly wrong either.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I guess he probably doesn't play Human Hive in Alpha Centauri.

Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment. -Chairman Yang

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

"A is equal to A", she says.

She talked about making the world better by getting rid of Ayn Rand worshipers, but here she goes pretending the Law of Identity is her core value, just like an Objectivist.

She was being a smartass.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
This is probably a Prisoner's Dilemma situation the professor is setting up. If everyone puts down a white stone, they all fail or they all have to actually do the work of the class or something like that, so someone (or some percentage of the class) has to put down a black stone and sacrifice in order to have the white stones. Or something like that.

Philosophically, it's a reasonable counter to "we're all in this together": who's going to sacrifice to make that happen?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Haha, I love how Alison is so clueless about how this is going to turn out.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

But don't the prisoner's dilemma experiments with real people show that people generally have a bias towards cooperative rather than shafting behaviour? Absolutely everyone else in this classroom has gone "gently caress you got mine" which is what the rational outcome is but not what actually tends to happen. At least some of the others would cooperate, it's very unlikely that Alison would be the only one to put up a black stone.

Honestly, I'd put up a black stone just to be a contrary jerk to this rear end in a top hat professor but I guess the moral of this story is everyone except Alison is only looking out for themselves.

Absum
May 28, 2013

If they actually all put down white stones this is an asocial idiot class. Never mind that no student said "ok let's all put down a black stone then".

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Serene Dragon posted:

But don't the prisoner's dilemma experiments with real people show that people generally have a bias towards cooperative rather than shafting behaviour? Absolutely everyone else in this classroom has gone "gently caress you got mine" which is what the rational outcome is but not what actually tends to happen. At least some of the others would cooperate, it's very unlikely that Alison would be the only one to put up a black stone.
It was found, at least in some studies in the 80s or 90s that people (or computers can't remember) would choose to cooperate initially, but then default to whatever decision their opponent chose after the first round of decision making. So Tit for Tat, if someone betrays on the first go-around you will betray the second time.

quote:

Honestly, I'd put up a black stone just to be a contrary jerk to this rear end in a top hat professor but I guess the moral of this story is everyone except Alison is only looking out for themselves.

Absum posted:

If they actually all put down white stones this is an asocial idiot class. Never mind that no student said "ok let's all put down a black stone then".
I am surprised that people aren't really picking up on what he's trying to demonstrate here. Especially with Allison being the segway into this topic it's pretty obvious that whatever is being asked of the class, it deals with whether the majority is going to make a decision to help the minority. He does seem like he's rushing the decision along so they haven't had time to talk it over but I would have expected a small (maybe 2-3) number of people to want to help the black stone guy, and expecting the class else to realize that everyone can win go with the black stones themselves.

Even then I would expect that if there was a discussion there would be enough reason to doubt that everyone would be willing to help (say one student is a known rear end in a top hat) that people would just go with a white stone to guarantee themselves a successful outcome. Either way, Allison's reaction is going to be amazing.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
poo poo I would have put down the black stone and then immediately gone to the dean to call the fucker's bluff.

e: I mean he's probably not going to actually follow through, but still: are there any people in the world who are actually like this?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Academia is a strange world full of monster egos and legit nutters teaching classes, you would be amazed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alison eat the stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I really hope that last panel is just for effect and we pull back some to see that Alison and The Victim aren't the only ones who put down black stones. Alison, you are just too pure and good for this world!

• Locked thread