Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Haha Toto. It is RUUUBBISHHHH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchemiculte
Feb 3, 2015
If they want to shake up the race grid via qually they should bring back the one lap shoot out that they had in the early 2000's.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Halo14 posted:

Haha Toto. It is RUUUBBISHHHH.

Niiiiiiiice

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I imagine track owners just saw their already tenuous Saturday ticket revenue evaporate before their eyes.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
None of the team principals and none of the drivers wanted this system in the first place and the FIA still implemented it.

loving F1.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
in the immortal words of Bart Simpson "come on snipers where are you?"

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Alchemiculte posted:

If they want to shake up the race grid via qually they should bring back the one lap shoot out that they had in the early 2000's.

no way that was absolutely awful and way worse than even this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The absolute worst system was that one lap aggregate qualifying system

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Alchemiculte posted:

Names in a hat, names randomly pulled out

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Funny how F1 can take the one thing that works and break it.

In other news, the world feed is now the Sky feed. I was kinda hoping it would jump over to the C4 feed.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So Seb has taken over from Jenson/Alonso in the role of driver with the most forced enthusiasm for a car that can't win this year then.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

You Am I posted:

Names in a hat, names randomly pulled out
Names in one hat, keys in another. Random drivers in random cars at random grid spots.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Nill posted:

Names in one hat, keys in another. Random drivers in random cars at random grid spots.

Bernie already suggested this

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Well that was a bit poo poo. They should just go back to 12 laps over the session.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"the fast cars didn't have the right to reply" Not sure this would have made any difference to you Christian.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So here's my proposal:

Q1 - Keep it as is. The frantic nature of having all the cars out was good. With so many out there, they're all going to have to push for 2-3 laps because of traffic until the track starts clearing. It works somewhat OK here.
Q2 - Eliminate this 90s bullshit and make it a cutoff time. If the driver in the last remaining position doesn't improve to snatch the position above them or better on the flying lap (outlap + 1, current+1 if they're already on track), they're eliminated. This would again force everyone to go out at the start to avoid having to beat other people's times to stay in. It would also really mix the grid up if someone hosed up their flying lap.
Q3 - Just a regular shortened session with no limitations.

There are probably flaws to this too, I'm just making it up on the fly like the FIA

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 19, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ban refueling during the sessions but allow hot tyre swaps. Might help allow the teams to react and encourage them to stay out.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
F1 2016: We all laughed, but it was serious.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sky still broadcasting.

"Toto voted for it and not me" chuckled a clearly delighted Niki Lauda.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

learnincurve posted:

Sky still broadcasting.

"Toto voted for it and not me" chuckled a clearly delighted Niki Lauda.

Toto blamed track owners/managers

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Niki said that the team principles and Bernie all voted for it before talking to their teams and then all the team managers had screaming fits at them.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

You Am I posted:

Toto blamed track owners/managers

He should have owned it:

"Well it guaranteed we got to keep positions 1 and 2 with 4 minutes to go without any chance of retaliation, so yeah I'm pleased with this qualifying format"

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Hip Benjamin Button looking happy.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

He is banging some model now so I'm not surprised.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Nah I'm talking about Lewis and his glasses haha.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Oh right the Strangelove glasses

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

El Hefe posted:

Bernie already suggested this
Think of the smugness of the "I told you so's" going around right now.
He could probably get it AND the sprinklers if he played his cards right.

darth cookie posted:

Ban refueling during the sessions but allow hot tyre swaps. Might help allow the teams to react and encourage them to stay out.
This is likely the only way it could have worked. Unless a fuel load is mandated teams will continue to go out on fumes good for little more than a single lap due to the huge time advantage it brings.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Williams....have hosed up.

They haven''t filled in mandatory FIA we ain't cheating paperwork to do with suspension settings and could end up with grid drops or DSQ at worst.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I wonder how they'll attempt to improve this qualifying system after all the backlash. Since this is F1, I fully expect them to somehow make it even worse.

learnincurve posted:

Williams....have hosed up.

They haven''t filled in mandatory FIA we ain't cheating paperwork to do with suspension settings and could end up with grid drops or DSQ at worst.
Fine job, lads! :thumbsup:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
williams gonna williams

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I knew something was amiss. They got through a quali without putting the wrong tires on or something similar.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
HaHa-as are the new Caterham aren't they?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
So other than the new qualifying system being a pile of poo poo, what have we learn't.

Mercedes are 2016 WCC and WDC

McLaren have now caught up with most of the teams, and given they have 2 of the best drivers on the grid they should get a few podiums
Palmer is good
Wehrlein is bad

Might be a good season - if you pay no attention to the 1 & 2 spots as they are going to be the same every god drat race, except when they crash each other out etc.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

ukle posted:

McLaren have now caught up with most of the teams, and given they have 2 of the best drivers on the grid they should get a few podiums

Woah woah woah, a top 8 here and there maybe - but a podium?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Diet Crack posted:

Woah woah woah, a top 8 here and there maybe - but a podium?

Grossjean and Perez both got podiums last year so it's completely possible itpo

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
They did it last year. Ah memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve2mDzSc9hA

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I am still speechless that some teams hadn't even read the new quali rules and were sending drivers out with time just to start a flying lap. It's your loving job to know you asshats.

In other news we also learnt the fragility of Nico after his grass stains in q1.

I am glad the mclaren is no longer quite the embarrassment and also Renault are where they deserve to be.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
So I should find a replay of this clusterfuck of a qualifying session?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

keevo posted:

So I should find a replay of this clusterfuck of a qualifying session?

Yes. It was certainly entertaining in it's own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Maybe the show can be improved by somehow crippling the huge advantage Merc have, rather then messing with a decent/not broken qualifying.

• Locked thread