Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Holy loving gently caress I am bawling at the monologue from Episode 4.

e: And then they ruin it with this loving tumblr shipping poo poo goddammit GODDAMMIT

HIJK fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

HIJK posted:

Holy loving gently caress I am bawling at the monologue from Episode 4.

e: And then they ruin it with this loving tumblr shipping poo poo goddammit GODDAMMIT

I really like what they do with the Matt/Karen romantic relationship through season 2.

Seriously though, AvClub called that (ep 4) kissing in the rain scene "something out of a Nicholas Sparks movie, and it's hard to disagree with that.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mars4523 posted:

I really like what they do with the Matt/Karen romantic relationship through season 2.

My problem is that it's dissonant. That monologue is incredible and wrenching and then they switch to Matt feeling Karen up in the rain and we only get a few minutes to make the transition from "holy gently caress heartbreaking" to "romantic playtime!!!!!!!!!!!" All of this emotion pouring out of Frank and then we're supposed to flip a switch and giggle at them in the rain. I mean really.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching Daredevil. The movie. :unsmigghh:

with rifftrax

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

HIJK posted:

My problem is that it's dissonant. That monologue is incredible and wrenching and then they switch to Matt feeling Karen up in the rain and we only get a few minutes to make the transition from "holy gently caress heartbreaking" to "romantic playtime!!!!!!!!!!!" All of this emotion pouring out of Frank and then we're supposed to flip a switch and giggle at them in the rain. I mean really.
I totally agree. And it wouldn't work as a scene on its own, either. Standing outside in a downpour in New York City didn't look romantic or sweet, it looked insanely uncomfortable.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Spoiler for entire season 2 but Uh.. where the hell was the shot of Castle using the giant mini gun? Did I miss that?

Excellent season I'd say on par with the first. Really hope we hear some Bullseye casting rumors though.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mars4523 posted:

I totally agree. And it wouldn't work as a scene on its own, either. Standing outside in a downpour in New York City didn't look romantic or sweet, it looked insanely uncomfortable.

Exactly, isn't that an excellent way to catch a cold? :psyduck: I got caught in a deluge today, I was soaked through in two minutes. It's freezing, your clothes are sticking to you, and the only thing you want is to go home, not to have a romantic moment with someone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Or did I just imagine Season 2 Spoiler the image of Punisher using a mini gun

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Just finished episode 6 of season 2.

Frank and Elektra have quickly become stand out new characters. I'm enjoying this season a hell of a lot more than the first, which was solid but kind of bored me with the mob plot a lot of times.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Mameluke posted:

That's true, but considering how much it was also played up in the (post episode 5, I forget which) flashbacks of her relationship with Matt, breaking into someone's home and smashing all their stuff, then setting up an incredible moral quandary for Matt for seemingly no other reason than kicks, I thought the change in her writing was inconsistent. She also continues to play up the "actually you love mayhem and are just like me" line, which I thought had been dealt with better in the first season and the Punisher plot. But, again, I find all the ninjas and Stick and Nobu painfully incongruous with everything I like about the show.

And speaking of, *wow* at the Punisher, again. Jon Bernthal's performance reminds me a lot of Cuba Gooding, Jr. on American Crime Story, in that both play characters who are objectively horrid people, but whose behavior seems to come from such an obviously damaged and vulnerable place that you can't help but empathize with them.
Post ep 8, we find out that Elektra was sent to seduce Matt as part of a mission from Stick. Her trying to nudge Matt over the line into being a killer seems to have been her mission objective.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Or did I just imagine Season 2 Spoiler the image of Punisher using a mini gun

he picked it up in the final episode, i don't think we saw him use it but he's holding it in the final moments as he walks off somewhere, i think, i'm kinda sleep deprived right now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

BSam posted:

he picked it up in the final episode, i don't think we saw him use it but he's holding it in the final moments as he walks off somewhere, i think, i'm kinda sleep deprived right now.

I specifically remember the "preview" on the Netflix home page showing him use it

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mars4523 posted:

Post ep 8, we find out that Elektra was sent to seduce Matt as part of a mission from Stick. Her trying to nudge Matt over the line into being a killer seems to have been her mission objective.

Right, but that was part of the problem I had with it. Matt forgiving her, especially so quickly, made no loving sense. "I was a mission to you and have every reason to believe you could be a pathological liar but you say you fell in love with me so it's cool." I mean I speak from experience that love often makes no sense but at the same time I thought that was gonna be a major fight with them that'd resolve over the course of a few episodes, not five minutes. It was some of the weakest characterization in either season.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
2x07

I guess we found out whether the Japanese got that building.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
S02 Ep09 Is that Keith David as Fisk's legal advisor?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Wow, a good season. My only gripe is (S2E3) that they completely missed the point of the rooftop scene between Frank and Matt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WAR FOOT posted:

Wow, a good season. My only gripe is (S2E3) that they completely missed the point of the rooftop scene between Frank and Matt.

No, they just did something different.

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
(Spoiler-y question after watching the entire season) Was the giant hole in the ground ever explained? I feel like I've missed something here.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was more bothered by Episode 3 and 4 barely connecting. Matt stands triumphant after taking an entire platoon of thugs, Frank Castle is passed out in the elevator. But I guess we're meant to think he escaped? Off-screen?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

I was more bothered by Episode 3 and 4 barely connecting. Matt stands triumphant after taking an entire platoon of thugs, Frank Castle is passed out in the elevator. But I guess we're meant to think he escaped? Off-screen?

He's shown to escape in 3. When it first shows the elevator, Frank's on the floor awake. Next time it's shown he's escaped out the other side of the elevator, which leads outside.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm at the end of episode 4 so far, loving it. That whole fight at the end of episode 3 is definitely this season's version of the wacky long take narrow hallway fight from last season, though I think they outdid that this time around. Probably going to even top that later on.

My favorite thing so far is that the big cover story Foggy came up with is that Matt's a raging alcoholic, and they just keep going to the same bar and all getting hammered and not mentioning it at all, it's so great. I mean, that's my favorite thing next to them basically taking a Punisher MAX comic and turning it into T.V. gold.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Right, but that was part of the problem I had with it. Matt forgiving her, especially so quickly, made no loving sense. "I was a mission to you and have every reason to believe you could be a pathological liar but you say you fell in love with me so it's cool." I mean I speak from experience that love often makes no sense but at the same time I thought that was gonna be a major fight with them that'd resolve over the course of a few episodes, not five minutes. It was some of the weakest characterization in either season.
General Elektra stuff:
I think the revelation that Stick was using Elektra as a patsy all this time could have made Matt feel more connected to her, not less. Before, she was just this self-possessed sociopathic douchebag, all the choices she made were of her own volition, and Matt would not accept "that" woman. But the fact that she was just a tool for Stick to use in his war, just another child soldier that he had brainwashed...Matt could understand that. He could try to save her from that. He could rationalize that Stick, not Elektra, was the one who tried to manipulate Matt into being a murderer.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

HIJK posted:

I'm not sure how far along you are in the series, but you should return to this thought once you've finished episode 11. If you've gotten that far, think of it in the context of the diner conversation between Karen and Frank. Their stories aren't that far apart.

Speaking of that episode, I loved how Frank's bruises and the shadow cast by his cap kept giving the impression of the Punisher logo. That was good makeup/lighting work.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 19, 2016

nopants
May 29, 2004
Just finished 2x04. Jon Bernthal :love:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't believe I'm watching the trial of The Punisher. I love my peak teevee.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

That was a good season

2x13I have to say though ,I really did not enjoy the Hand/Electra stuff nearly as much as I did any of the Punisher/Fisk stuff (though that's partly because they are fantastic). Nobu was kind of scary in the first season, but whenever he and his ninjas showed up I got taken out of it, the just looked so silly, but I guess there is really no way around that. Electra took a while to grow on me, I really didn't care for her at all until after Stick showed up, though I did end liking her a lot more by the time it was over (her costume looked dumb though).

Seriously though, the Punisher scenes with Daredevil from the first couple episodes were easily enough to carry the whole thing.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Ep 9

My first gripe about the plot.

I'm not sure if I missed something but am I right in assuming that Kingpin was basically just bluffing? He had no idea what actually happened but saw Frank as a way to get rid of Dutton. It was only by coincidence that Dutton actually knew something.

What I found it hard to believe was that Frank would even believe or consider Kingpin's proposal much less tank his court case and relationship with Karen.

I guess Frank isn't fully developed Punisher but he knew he was being used and that Kingpin could have been bullshitting him but still went ahead anyway.

By the end of the episode, I was expecting the reveal that the Blacksmith was the one who tipped off the police and was actually an alias Kingpin used when he was first starting out to take out the competition

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

By the way, can I get a quick reminder of the people that Matt either probably killed or definitely killed in season 1? The guy who fell off a drat high building and the ninja he straight up set on fire come to mind.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 19, 2016

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NowonSA posted:

By the way, can I get a quick reminder of the people that Matt either probably killed or definitely killed in season 1? The guy who fell off a drat high building and the ninja he straight up set on fire come to mind.

The guy he threw off a building didn't die and the ninja was only indirectly set on fire

2x09

And Nobu comes back from the dead anyway so no harm no foul

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

NowonSA posted:

The first one ended up a vegetable and the second one was a magical ninja
so he didn't actually TECHNICALLY kill anyone

e:fb

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
So I just made it to the end of s2e8.

Okay so around episode 7 I was thinking "the Punisher storyline is far more interesting than this stuff with the yakuza" and Wilson Fisk's involvement just absolutely seals the deal for me. It actually makes perfect sense too, if we regard Fisk's ultimate goal was to rebuild Hell's Kitchen and burn down whatever he felt tarnished his vision. Frank basically has the same idea, though I can only imagine this will end with him trying to kill Fisk.

I feel like they got Punisher caught so early on because they wanted to give Foggy and Karen more to do, and that's fair when you consider Foggy's role was mainly being the levity, while Karen at least got time with Ben Urich. Without this case what would they even be doing on the show right now, since all this yakuza stuff is kept so closely tied to the Daredevil side of the plot? It makes sense. But the Punisher storyline is so much more compelling in comparison because the stakes feel real, and the characters react in ways that make perfect sense.

The yakuza storyline is just "Matt and Elektra fight ninjas, get beaten up and then get into arguments about whether it's right to kill or not, also sexual tension" and a lot of it feels like exposition and set-up so far. Roxxon is made up to be this evil company but they come off as so drat generic that I don't give a drat, especially not when we already had a similar storyline like this in Wilson Fisk from last year (who was at least an independent and interesting character in his own right.)

Really if we just cut down the yakuza stuff and focused on the Punisher, this season would be better for it. Hopefully the last five episodes change my stance on this.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, I mostly just wanted a reminder on what crazy hoops they jumped through to make him technically not a murderer. I can't imagine it happens, but I'd love to see him kill a dude and be forced to live with the consequences. I mean, it has to have happened at some point in the comics right, in a wacky alternate universe if nothing else.

Speaking of comics, I love that they straight up the setup for Daredevil and the Punisher's first big chat from the comics.

Also Elektra rocks and you need to give in to the dark side Matt :argh:.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Finished 2x04 and I have a question.

What was the point of Karen checking out the Punisher's house? Does it go somewhere with the DA's office? It just seems like we're getting hints of something that we're told with the Punisher's monologue five minutes later.

Anyways, overall I'm really liking this version of The Punisher, this is easily the best live action version of him so far. Equal parts terrifying, yet somewhat sympathetic and broken man. I''m not a huge fan of him as a protagonist, but I would at least check out a few episodes if he got his own show.

Seriously, if you told me yesterday that I would be getting misty eyed over the Punisher's origin story I would have laughed in your face, but this show sold it.

Edit:

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I mostly just wanted a reminder on what crazy hoops they jumped through to make him technically not a murderer. I can't imagine it happens, but I'd love to see him kill a dude and be forced to live with the consequences. I mean, it has to have happened at some point in the comics right, in a wacky alternate universe if nothing else.

Speaking of comics, I love that they straight up the setup for Daredevil and the Punisher's first big chat from the comics.

Also Elektra rocks and you need to give in to the dark side Matt :argh:.

It's comic book logic. In the real world beating someone into unconsciousness is usually a serious felony, possibly attempted murder, or murder, depending on whether or not they wake up. In comics, people just walk that off all the time.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 19, 2016

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

As someone who has always found the idea of the Punisher a really loving boring one, I gotta say his portrayal here has turned me around on him a lot. Good acting, good season in general (except for [2x09?] the increasing focus on the ninjas, who really were dull as loving dishwater as antagonists go)

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

As someone who has always found the idea of the Punisher a really loving boring one, I gotta say his portrayal here has turned me around on him a lot. Good acting, good season in general (except for [2x09?] the increasing focus on the ninjas, who really were dull as loving dishwater as antagonists go)
Eh, the actual threats in the Punisher's storyline are pretty generic as gently caress.

Give me hordes of ninjas over interchangeable mook ethnic stereotype gangsters any day of the week.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 19, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Episode 7: why didn't anyone actually ASK FRANK how Reyes is involved and whah his grudge is with her

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

El Fappo posted:

(Spoiler-y question after watching the entire season) Was the giant hole in the ground ever explained? I feel like I've missed something here.

not explained no. DD says "it's a 40 story hole." I find it sort of laughable that they have to use super secret encripted cypher just to move dirt secretly out of the city via railway, but again if it is 40 stories worth of dirt, then The Hand being that circumspect does seem more plausible.

I think the bottom of the hole is where the blood is pooled and Electra's body is lowered into, but that is pure speculation

Also, the Punisher owned. Real nuanced acting. Very well done.

Thinking about that traincar full of dirt. We find out later The Hand alreay have access to smuggling tunnles and closed subway line tunnles. Does the super secret ninja clan really not want to throw a bunch of dirt out the subway tunnles? Pansys. Make a ninja bucket brigade.

Black Sky. What do the comics say about this.

And if Electra could be revived by sarcophagus and pool of blood, then why the hell didn't they do it with the Black Sky Stick shot through the heart?

I did like the big poster of a gladiator in the workshop of the armour making dude.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 19, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I prefer the Punisher as an antagonist because he makes for a decent bad guy with a point. The bad guys he targets are usually really bad guys and the justice system can't handle them.

As a leading man in his own comic, he's pretty meh.

It's usually either an over the top revenge fantasy where the criminals essentially wear black hats, or a grim depiction of all the horrible things that criminals do in order justify Frank Castle killing them. Neither of those approaches appeal to me.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 19, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The cemetery monologue in S02E04 is pretty goddamn amazing.

That said, Tony Curran should have learned from the Chinese mobsters who left New York in order to save face :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As much as I love this version of the Punisher, I really hope he doesn't get his own show.

It'd ruin the mystique if it was entirely focused around him. Plus I'd have a bit of an issue of making a guy who essentially boils down to being a mass shooter that sympathetic. Might send the wrong message.