Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We really need a gif of that glorious shot of the Ferrari pit wall the moment Mercedes stopped sandbagging in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

AgentJotun posted:

Maybe the show can be improved by somehow crippling the huge advantage Merc have, rather then messing with a decent/not broken qualifying.

This is bullshit. Mercedes did the best job within the regulations. Why should the rules be changed to cripple them specifically. Its the whole attitude that they should level the playing field because some manufacturers did a poo poo job that pisses me off. They don't do it in any other sport.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
F1 is dead

poty
Jun 21, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

This is bullshit. Mercedes did the best job within the regulations. Why should the rules be changed to cripple them specifically. Its the whole attitude that they should level the playing field because some manufacturers did a poo poo job that pisses me off. They don't do it in any other sport.

Because the prospect of the same german team winning forever until the end of time is boring and poo poo and bad and F1 is a TV show

poty
Jun 21, 2008

When Nico Rosberg is winning F1 races, you know something is terribly wrong

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Mercedes time as top dog will come to an end eventually, just got to stick through the tough bits

2000-2004 never forget :smith:

edit: gotta love this headline - Bernie Ecclestone declares F1's new qualifying format 'pretty crap'

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Personally I hope Mercedes wins every WDC until the sport finally takes its last dying breath.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Go watch formula E then :shrug:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh cos if a team wins more than two years in a row the sport will immediately die. Or Worse, people may be forced to watch amazing battles in the midfield and pay attention to more than two teams.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

thegasman2000 posted:

Go watch formula E then :shrug:
Nah.

In all honesty, I really do want to see Ferrari or SOMEONE catch up. As much as I am a fan of Lewis, I struggled to watch like half the races last year because it's just the same poo poo as when Vettel or Schumacher were dominating. Being a fan of the guy winning most of the races doesn't make it any more exciting.

Hell, I think I had more fun watching the Red Bull era because things were a bit loving closer.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

F1 is nothing like other sports. "Regulations" in other sports don't go much further than

1. The ball has to stay on the pitch
2. You can't go around punching the other people

The way you get ahead in normal sports is by finding a guy who is better than usual at kicking/throwing/hitting a ball. There are 7 billion people in the world.

You can search for as long as you want to, but you're not gonna find a better engine than the one Merc has (and obviously only Merc, not even their customer teams). You could hire the best engine designers in the world, it's gonna take years and hundreds of millions, and it still probably would be crap.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Falken posted:

Hell, I think I had more fun watching the Red Bull era because things were a bit loving closer.

for 2010 and 2012, not for the other years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2013 was a worse season than any of the Mercedes years.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
F1 is the chess of motorsport, sometimes you have a grandmaster dominating everything but that does not make the match for third and fourth any less interesting if you like chess.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I have to agree with learnincurve there, the midfield battles are as exciting as chess

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Australia certainly will be, overcomplicated rules, lots of strategy, and hours of tedium for maybe a rook being taken by a pawn/an overtake.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

learnincurve posted:

F1 is the chess of motorsport, sometimes you have a grandmaster dominating everything but that does not make the match for third and fourth any less interesting if you like chess.

F1 is the soap opera of motorsports so any drama is good therefore this new qualifying system is good because everyone is upset.

Except that it was really bad.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I know this might sound like a revolutionary idea but wouldnt it have been a good idea to test a system like this out before you shove it into your multi million pound sport?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

Unsurprisingly, I think this is bullshit. Yes Merc made the best engine (and possibly chassis) prior to an arbitrary freeze date. They were rewarded with the most dominant season in F1 history. Then were rewarded again in 2015 with an even better season. How many championships does F1 have to give them before they are suitably rewarded for their hybrid?

Also the field is leveled by salary caps and drafts in other sports. Although they need leveling far, far less then F1 does. EG In the NBA the Warriors may possibly end up with the best single season record in NBA history. There's still atleast a reasonable chance they wont win the finals. Mercedes on the other hand? May as well give them the trophy now.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Also let me get this in for the first time this year, Poois Shamilton.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Drafts and salary caps are a thing that happens in American sports. Like it or not that's not how European sports work and F1 has a European governing body. We tend to accept that one or two teams in a sport will be dominant which allows them to earn more money in merchandising and whatnot, and then one day another better team will come along and beat them or they will gently caress it up by selling crucial members of a dream team and the like and a new dominant team will come to the forefront. Everybody getting to have a turn at winning because it's unfair if they don't is not the European way.

Football is far worse then F1 for unfair distribution of money, television airtime (more airtime on Sky, the more money you get) and team dominance and yet it's just as popular as it has ever been, so we have to ask why F1 is suffering with a drop in viewers, is it the lack of mainstream media attention, outdated broadcast models, a failure to promote loyalty to the sport and individual teams or a failure to embrace social media in order to reach the young.

I would say it's all of the above and it's entirely to do with having a sport owner who does not give a poo poo about the sport itself and the fact that the promoter is a 85 year old man stuck in the 1970s.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
There's also a lot of dumb reactive rule changes that merely annoy everyone and make the ruling body look utterly idiotic, along with a number of TV channels deciding that "No, we won't help casual fans to get into this sport by broadcasting races on our open channels. We'd rather fleece the existing fanbase with expensive paid channels and only broadcast races there."

Who the gently caress would pay 25 euros a month to watch this poo poo?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i fell asleep and missed qualifying, can someone succinctly explain why the sky is falling

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

i fell asleep and missed qualifying, can someone succinctly explain why the sky is falling

Q3 was decided 5 minutes before the end and they literally had everybody out of the cars at 4 minutes to go with them all standing around doing the weigh in and after quali chats while the clock was still running down because of how the new quali system works.

Ergo, F1 is dead and zombie Bernie is stalking the earth looking for tasty babies to eat.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The 90 second count down does not work if it takes 3 mins to do a out lap and a fast lap, and you don't get to finish your lap if the count down has run down. If the tyres did not have to be changed it would be doable, and it might work with some tweaking if people had enough of them. McHonda had to sit in the garage when they had enough time for another fast lap because they had run out of tyres. At one point they were P2 and P3, not a genuine above ferrari and the mercs P2 but certainly legitimately that far ahead of the rest of the midfield.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Meeting environmental and hybrid requirements in the highest spec of engineering and racing is dumb imo. Bring back the V12.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Khan!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

666 KHAN

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

who was hurt the most by this new format? the teams

who is responsible for blocking meaningful changes to the technical regulations that will allow for closer racing? the teams

and besides, wasn't the entire point of this new format to force teams into making mistakes...which they did? the only problem is that mercedes didn't gently caress up. so it just goes back to the real problem, which is that everyone is worse than mercedes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

Meeting environmental and hybrid requirements in the highest spec of engineering and racing is dumb imo. Bring back the V12.

cool idea bro that would end the sport

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Wicka is right. Bernie's crime is trying to save F1 from the neck lock that Merc and Ferrari have over it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wicka - Niki Lauda took an enormous amount of pleasure in throwing Toto, the other team principles and Bernie under the bus over this on Sky after quali. They decided on it and voted for it without discussing it with any of their teams and were then all surprised when their respective team managers went absolutely mental at them and said it would not work.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

2013 was a worse season than any of the Mercedes years.

Yep. Because back then it wasn't even both cars racing each other, just the golden boy taking over.

But my god was that qualifying shameful by the end. Nobody else even trying to go out in the last five minutes? loving disgraceful.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

be nice wicka posted:

cool idea bro that would end the sport

Make it so. New beginnings!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Wicka - Niki Lauda took an enormous amount of pleasure in throwing Toto, the other team principles and Bernie under the bus over this on Sky after quali. They decided on it and voted for it without discussing it with any of their teams and were then all surprised when their respective team managers went absolutely mental at them and said it would not work.

lol that's amazing, thanks. and they did it because it's the ILLUSION of effort. and because they knew if it failed, the teams woudn't take the blame, the FIA and bernie would. and yet the root of the problem is that the teams won't agree to make real changes, and bernie is left to suggest outlandish things like reversed grids in the hope that it will spur the teams to agree to SOMETHING, because that's really the only power he has left.

i blame ferrari more than most because they're the ones with an actual veto, whereas mercedes just whips their four teams into a single voting bloc and takes advantage of the fact that the other teams/manufacturers won't work together against them.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it's like diet crack said, F1 is the highest spec of engineering and racing. living up to that standard requires a lot of money. in the past, that was easy: tobacco companies. when they were banned, F1 had to fill the void, and for now they've filled it with car manufacturers. but the advertising world as a whole has changed, and very few companies are willing to shell out millions of dollars simply to be on a rolling billboard. the biggest sponsors now are companies that work hand-in-hand with F1 teams to develop their products. for the most part, this is great. e.g. SAP pays mclaren quite a lot more money than you'd expect because they get ROI not by being a decal on their car, but by developing their data analytics products behind the scenes in a super high pressure environment. the only real downside of all of this is those loving car manufacturers. they are not content with supplying any old engine. they want something that is relevant to the next-gen road car engines they're building...which means not naturally aspirated V12 racing engines, but high-efficiency turbo hybrids. and it should by obvious why an expensive and complex engine formula leads to an engine-dominated series with large performance differentials and an inability to attract new engine suppliers.

so what's the solution to that? you can go back to non-road-relevant engines and still have super fast cars, but who's going to fund that? i doubt the manufacturers would stick around. from my perspective, the only thing we can really do is keep the regulations stable, abandon the token system and actually allow people to catch up to mercedes (which we've already done), and hope we reach some level of parity that would encourage new manufacturers to come in and inject money into teams other than the four current works outfits.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Bring back Tobacco money.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

and booze money.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

a premier league-esque division of TV money would go some way toward helping things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Honestly, F1 should have a relaxed rule-set so people can do clever poo poo and make cars go as fast as the rules and ingenuity allows them to be. gently caress cost savings, gently caress road car relevance, gently caress mid-season rule fuckery and especially gently caress greenwashing.

• Locked thread