Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

one trick for that 11x11 reactor: cryotheum and resonant ender spread, so if you are careful with placement, you only need 4 buckets of each (or a fifth if you drop one in the center column)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
In general: building wider is "better" building taller is "faster." Increasing the footprint means you can cram more fuel rods and fluids into the space, which means better fuel efficiency and output. Adding layers on top just means you generate more power, with reduced efficiency since the reactor will be hotter. I say "faster" because generally adding another layer of casing/fuel rods/fluids is faster than wholly redesigning the reactor to take advantage of a larger footprint.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Steelion posted:

In general: building wider is "better" building taller is "faster." Increasing the footprint means you can cram more fuel rods and fluids into the space, which means better fuel efficiency and output. Adding layers on top just means you generate more power, with reduced efficiency since the reactor will be hotter. I say "faster" because generally adding another layer of casing/fuel rods/fluids is faster than wholly redesigning the reactor to take advantage of a larger footprint.

That's not actually true, there's no heating or breeding interaction vertically in the current version of BR, when you stack it taller you are literally just multiplying its inputs and outputs linearly. The layers are all technically independent of each other.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Taffer posted:

That's not actually true, there's no heating or breeding interaction vertically in the current version of BR, when you stack it taller you are literally just multiplying its inputs and outputs linearly. The layers are all technically independent of each other.

Well yeah, that's what I'm saying. http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design?length=5&width=5&height=2&activelyCooled=false&controlRodInsertion=0&layout=2OE4OC2OECXCE2OC4OE2O is hotter, and therefore more productive, than http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design?length=5&width=5&height=1&activelyCooled=false&controlRodInsertion=0&layout=2OE4OC2OECXCE2OC4OE2O, simply by virtue of having more fuel rods generating heat. More heat = more power, and stacking levels just cranks up heat. Depending on how hot your reactor was already, this can push it beyond temperature breakpoints that make it (sometimes substantially) less fuel efficient.

e: As I play around with the sim though, it looks like heat has a much smaller effect than I thought it did. I was under the impression that fuel consumption spiked beyond 1kC, but that appears to not really be the case?

Steelion fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 19, 2016

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Power is generated by 'radiation' being output into coolant specifically, the better the coolant the more radiation is captured rather than being turned into heat. But like Taffer said it only works horizontally so the fewer fuel rods on the same Y level the less internal heat and thus lower fuel consumption vs output.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay, so, Tinkers Construct touts itself as a mod that lets you keep using the same tool instead of replacing it like you have to do with vanilla tools. In that case, can someone tell me why, WHY, there are diminishing returns when repairing tools?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

OMG ><

i spent about 40 minutes hunting blizz for the rods as the rec to make the dust only uses that.

And i then spent a few hours building an enderman farm to farm ender pearls for the liquid....... which of course ran my energy system completely dry.

The i had to figure out why it wasnt turning multiblock. Seems the diamond block wasnt allowed in the core.

So now it's time to turn it on.

Ok its way too much power lol.

Do i raise the rods to lower power gen and stuff?

and how do i set my rednet ports?

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 19, 2016

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

Okay, so, Tinkers Construct touts itself as a mod that lets you keep using the same tool instead of replacing it like you have to do with vanilla tools. In that case, can someone tell me why, WHY, there are diminishing returns when repairing tools?

Because eventually you should put moss or flux on it I guess.

Meskhenet posted:

OMG ><

i spent about 40 minutes hunting blizz for the rods as the rec to make the dust only uses that.

And i then spent a few hours building an enderman farm to farm ender pearls for the liquid....... which of course ran my energy system completely dry.

The i had to figure out why it wasnt turning multiblock. Seems the diamond block wasnt allowed in the core.

So now it's time to turn it on.

Ok its way too much power lol.

Do i raise the rods to lower power gen and stuff?

and how do i set my rednet ports?

Putting snowballs into a Fluid Tranposer with liquid Redstone in it is how you are supposed to get Blizz Powder. Unless that is disabled by the modpack, hunting Blizzes is silly.

You 'insert' the rods to lower generation, and you set rednet ports by placing two of them as part of the multiblock, then right clicking one and selecting the rod insertion button, and then going into the other and selecting the battery level one, then place a rednet cable between them.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 19, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i just build a large reactor without caring about efficiency because once you're post-power you're pretty much post-scarcity

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So apparently Forge for 1.9 was released a few hours ago and mods are already porting over (and have public releases) including a few of the larger ones like Psi, Blood Magic and Biomes O Plenty. I know that compared to most previous releases, 18->1.9 had very few engine changes, but this feels like the fastest update time between major versions in a very long time.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Because eventually you should put moss or flux on it I guess.

Moss is either entirely disabled in NH, or is a Thaumcraft recipe which I can't see right now. The Flux upgrade appears to be entirely disabled. I sure hope moss is a Thaumcraft recipe, because otherwise, you just have to hope you randomly get it via Iquanatweaks. My hatchet has sadly not gained moss randomly. I'm extremely thankful that my pickaxe did.

Speaking of NH and pickaxes, I found out a bit late that Gregtech Cobalt is just as good as tcon cobalt, and can be melted in the smeltery just like you'd expect. Once you can mine copper ore and have a centrifuge, you can centrifuge 9 impure copper dust (or ore wash it I guess) and make a cobalt pick. EZ PZ. Of course... you might want to make sure the pick has moss on it before you swap to cobalt.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

Moss is either entirely disabled in NH, or is a Thaumcraft recipe which I can't see right now. The Flux upgrade appears to be entirely disabled. I sure hope moss is a Thaumcraft recipe, because otherwise, you just have to hope you randomly get it via Iquanatweaks. My hatchet has sadly not gained moss randomly. I'm extremely thankful that my pickaxe did.

Well then, 'Because GT' is the answer to your previous question. http://tinkers-construct.wikia.com/wiki/Ball_of_Moss is what I was talking about, by the way.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

McFrugal posted:

There aren't diminishing returns while repairing tools. Not even with IguanaTweaks. Hope that helps!

I also don't recommend moss at all on things like hammers. It repairs too slowly and sitting around waiting for moss isn't my idea of a good time. I usually just use a stone head because I'm lazy and it's easy to repair. Stonebound is overpowered as heck although I heard rumblings that it might get changed but until then ardite parts+stone head is really fast for hammers and stuff.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 19, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Well then, 'Because GT' is the answer to your previous question. http://tinkers-construct.wikia.com/wiki/Ball_of_Moss is what I was talking about, by the way.

The blightfall ball of moss was an infusion, that was semi lateish might be similar to that?

Now that my reactor is up, and i can digimine anything with tesseracts, and my ender farm is chugging along nicely.... im not sure what to do...

maybe some AE2 storage, ive got a crap load of chests sitting about.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I wonder what mod in GT:NH is doing diminishing returns then, because I definitely noticed it too. All my gear has levelled up to get diamond and emerald so at least they take longer between repairs, but only my pick has Mossy.

McFrugal posted:

Speaking of NH and pickaxes, I found out a bit late that Gregtech Cobalt is just as good as tcon cobalt, and can be melted in the smeltery just like you'd expect. Once you can mine copper ore and have a centrifuge, you can centrifuge 9 impure copper dust (or ore wash it I guess) and make a cobalt pick. EZ PZ. Of course... you might want to make sure the pick has moss on it before you swap to cobalt.

:monocle:

I've been running with an Obsidian pick head scavenged from a TiConstruct village building, but I just centrifuged some cobalt so I could make that damned cutting machine's weird brass alloy gear that is used in literally no other recipe. Upgrade ho!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Enzer posted:

So apparently Forge for 1.9 was released a few hours ago and mods are already porting over (and have public releases) including a few of the larger ones like Psi, Blood Magic and Biomes O Plenty. I know that compared to most previous releases, 18->1.9 had very few engine changes, but this feels like the fastest update time between major versions in a very long time.

While it is out, it's highly not recommended to use it yet. Both Forge and vanilla have some serious bugs to work through. The mods that updated mostly did so to see just how easy it was - and it's apparently very easy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Randomly gaining moss is the best thing your tools can do. I've been through IguanaTweaks so many times I just changed the config file to require way less experience per level so my tools bump up way faster and I inevitably got at least one moss on everything, which seems ideal.
That said, you CAN get balls of moss in New Horizons. But it's a Thaumcraft recipe and won't show up in NEI until it's been researched.

Speaking of Thaumcraft, holy poo poo. I love TC5 and I was really happy with all the changes, but I never realized how ridiculous the change was until I went back to TC4. The whole scheme of trying to scrounge up research points to spend on the discoveries is the single worst part of the entire mod, by far. It's a special kind of awful when you scan every single block, machine, dust, ore, ground ore, etc. that you have to get research points, and STILL end up short. Because what do you do then? You're out of research. I started in a magic forest so I could just farm mana beans, but even that would be tedious.
I made the foolish mistake of changing it to easy mode because I was tired of the research minigame, but the requirements are ridiculous. I saw something that literally required 200 Terra. I can't imagine it's that absurd when you're doing the puzzles.

But hey, one thing I can recommend is that all the Thaumcraft addons, most of which I've never touched, are actually incredible. For as restrictive as so much of the mod is, Thaumcraft (and most especially, sub-mods like Thaumic Bases) have a lot of flexibility. For example, early on, getting Vis is hard. Nodes are (apparently?) set to be few and far in between. But there's a really cheap recipe for something called a Primal Shroom that you make from Vis Shrooms (otherwise pretty useless), and it turns them into a crop that grows on plain dirt/grass. They grow quickly, and when full, you harvest them for 1 seed every time (so expanding your crop means alchemizing more). And when harvested, instead of yielding food or fruit, they explode in a shower of aspect orbs, like mobs drop when they die. So if you have a patch of these things, you can just harvest them every few minutes and fill up your wands for free, no node hunting required.
There's also a plant that grows petals infused with rare Auram essentia, a special pyrofluid that solidifies into a huge pile of blaze powder (which is RIDICULOUSLY full of magic and fire aspects, in this pack), and my personal favorite, a special bush of knowledge-roses that you grow on a crystal block and sprouts into infused scraps. You can then eat the scrap for a lump sum of research knowledge on the given aspect (or +2 to all primals if grown on a mixed cluster), or wash it in the cauldron to turn it into an arcane knowledge fragment.
My biggest complaint so far is that arcane bricks (and thus both the alchemical furnace and infusion altar) require an MV assembler, which gates some bigger/easier features.

Enzer posted:

I really hope other mods follow suit, especially the gaggle of mods that never went to 1.8. There's a lot of things I used to rely on, like Openblocks and Extra Utilities, that just never caught up. Plus, having an official Botania release would be nice. And I can't wait to see what's in store for Thaumcraft, after the huge improvements of 5's last updates.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

From what I understand, the gap between 1.7 and 1.8 is huge, but the gap between 1.8 and 1.9 is nearly nonexistent. Sounds aren't working in the 1.9 versions of Forge yet, and stuff has to be updated to respect handedness, but otherwise it's really simple.

The main problem with 1.7 to 1.8 is the block renderer. From my layman's understanding of it, all blocks that aren't just textured cubes have to be defined as a JSON file. If the block changes shape, all the tweened block states have to be defined in a JSON file as well. This is why a lot of thaumcraft stuff went from being blocks to being entities (like nodes, the node magnet, etc.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

I made the foolish mistake of changing it to easy mode because I was tired of the research minigame, but the requirements are ridiculous. I saw something that literally required 200 Terra. I can't imagine it's that absurd when you're doing the puzzles.

But hey, one thing I can recommend is that all the Thaumcraft addons, most of which I've never touched, are actually incredible. For as restrictive as so much of the mod is, Thaumcraft (and most especially, sub-mods like Thaumic Bases) have a lot of flexibility. For example, early on, getting Vis is hard. Nodes are (apparently?) set to be few and far in between. But there's a really cheap recipe for something called a Primal Shroom that you make from Vis Shrooms (otherwise pretty useless), and it turns them into a crop that grows on plain dirt/grass. They grow quickly, and when full, you harvest them for 1 seed every time (so expanding your crop means alchemizing more). And when harvested, instead of yielding food or fruit, they explode in a shower of aspect orbs, like mobs drop when they die. So if you have a patch of these things, you can just harvest them every few minutes and fill up your wands for free, no node hunting required.
There's also a plant that grows petals infused with rare Auram essentia, a special pyrofluid that solidifies into a huge pile of blaze powder (which is RIDICULOUSLY full of magic and fire aspects, in this pack), and my personal favorite, a special bush of knowledge-roses that you grow on a crystal block and sprouts into infused scraps. You can then eat the scrap for a lump sum of research knowledge on the given aspect (or +2 to all primals if grown on a mixed cluster), or wash it in the cauldron to turn it into an arcane knowledge fragment.
My biggest complaint so far is that arcane bricks (and thus both the alchemical furnace and infusion altar) require an MV assembler, which gates some bigger/easier features.
That 200 Terra research points is probably an incorrect setting, either in the mod itself or in the scripts changing things - easy mode researches aren't supposed to get above about 10 points of any single aspect.

I thought I was familiar with all the Thaumcraft addons, but I'm not familiar with the Primal shroom or the other things you mentioned. Any idea what addon they're from?

quote:

I really hope other mods follow suit, especially the gaggle of mods that never went to 1.8. There's a lot of things I used to rely on, like Openblocks and Extra Utilities, that just never caught up. Plus, having an official Botania release would be nice. And I can't wait to see what's in store for Thaumcraft, after the huge improvements of 5's last updates.

Extra Utilities is in open "alpha" for 1.8.9 - it's on CurseForge so if you want to check it out, it's available. It's just undergoing a pretty massive reworking (no more RF, if has it's own energy system now, and a ton of other changes - on the plus side, the Builder's Wand is now reasonable to get early-ish). I don't know about Openblocks, though.

As for Botania, there's basically not ever going to be an "official": release. Vazkii has gotten fed up with all the harassment she's received over the mod and has given it up. In 1.8.9 and onwards, williewillus is now the modder in charge of it.

Glory of Arioch posted:

From what I understand, the gap between 1.7 and 1.8 is huge, but the gap between 1.8 and 1.9 is nearly nonexistent. Sounds aren't working in the 1.9 versions of Forge yet, and stuff has to be updated to respect handedness, but otherwise it's really simple.

The main problem with 1.7 to 1.8 is the block renderer. From my layman's understanding of it, all blocks that aren't just textured cubes have to be defined as a JSON file. If the block changes shape, all the tweened block states have to be defined in a JSON file as well. This is why a lot of thaumcraft stuff went from being blocks to being entities (like nodes, the node magnet, etc.)

Most mods on 1.8.9 are taking less than an hour to update to 1.9 (more if they're big, complicated content mods like BM, but still not much). The jump in between the two versions will basically be immediate. Chances are modders will maintain both 1.8.9 and 1.9 branches until 1.9 gets stablized.

There's a lot of tricks around the change with the renderer now, and ways to generate those JSONs necessary automatically. There are, however, a lot of other changes that still make updating take a long time (dropping of block metadata in favor of block states, for example - I've seen almost every mod praising the block state system as fairly elegant once they've updated, but it's still a PITA to get there).

Speaking of - the official CoFH twitter (and then later, a post from KingLemming on Reddit) have revealed that chances are there won't be a full transition of the CoFH mods to 1.8.9 and beyond. KL is basically burnt on Minecraft at this point and they'll have to do too much massive rewriting. They are apparently working on bringing some things up to 1.8.9, but don't expect everything as-is.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Serifina posted:

I thought I was familiar with all the Thaumcraft addons, but I'm not familiar with the Primal shroom or the other things you mentioned. Any idea what addon they're from?
Thaumic Bases. There are a lot of special plants, including trees that grow golden apples, wheat that grows iron nuggets, self-spreading weeds that grow sugar and sugar cane and don't need water, flowers that grow lapis, "melons" that grow redstone blocks, and more. It's also got a fairly cheap (even in New Horizons) device that lets you hook up two nodes to feed one into the other with about 75% efficiency, and another machine that hooks up to (non-CV) nodes to give them one of a few various enhancements, like faster recovery or a chance for free vis, and can "upgrade" nodes towards Bright status. Some incredibly useful stuff in here.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

If you're the kind of person who would rather wait for a full suite of mods before jumping to a new MC version (i.e. me) then it's very likely you'll never play 1.8.9. Mods go so fast from 1.8 to 1.9 that once they get ported to 1.8 they'll probably be ported to 1.9 within a day or two, probably less.

The only real hiccough is how some mods implement the dual-wielding stuff cause it could take a lot of feature rework - but that's design, the porting effort is tiny.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

To be fair, 1.8.9 is pretty decent right now, though largely bereft of tech mods due to the RF thing.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

Thaumic Bases. There are a lot of special plants, including trees that grow golden apples, wheat that grows iron nuggets, self-spreading weeds that grow sugar and sugar cane and don't need water, flowers that grow lapis, "melons" that grow redstone blocks, and more. It's also got a fairly cheap (even in New Horizons) device that lets you hook up two nodes to feed one into the other with about 75% efficiency, and another machine that hooks up to (non-CV) nodes to give them one of a few various enhancements, like faster recovery or a chance for free vis, and can "upgrade" nodes towards Bright status. Some incredibly useful stuff in here.

Really? I'll definitely have to check that out, then. It's already on 1.8.9, too. I'll look into it.

Glory of Arioch posted:

To be fair, 1.8.9 is pretty decent right now, though largely bereft of tech mods due to the RF thing.

Yeah, right now the primary playground for 1.8.9 stuff is magic. Blood Magic, Botania, Thaumcraft, Intangible, Psi, Aura Cascade (if you like it) - all updated for 1.8.9 and fully playable (BM still receiving some work but it's like 90% there.)

There are a few tech mods but not much. And I think we're going to see stuff breaking back apart into multiple energy systems again.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Serifina posted:

Really? I'll definitely have to check that out, then. It's already on 1.8.9, too. I'll look into it.
I haven't tried the 1.8.9 version because the description says it only works for Thaumcraft 4? I don't really understand that bit. Let me know if it works with 189's TC5 though because I'd love to have it in other packs than just New Horizons.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I haven't tried the 1.8.9 version because the description says it only works for Thaumcraft 4? I don't really understand that bit. Let me know if it works with 189's TC5 though because I'd love to have it in other packs than just New Horizons.

Have you tried TC5 at all? Most of the stuff you were describing simply isn't necessary to have in TC5. Research and vis are much more user-friendly.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

I managed to get it randomly on my axe and it has 1800 durability from other random modifiers plus the cobalt head so I can cut down an entire sacred oak tree without it breaking. It's wonderful. It also has a mining speed of 12 and silk touch. The only downside is that my inventory fills up with leaves but I just toss them off the side of the tree. It's worth being able to break through them super quickly.

Vib Rib posted:

I have to build an advanced assembler to get the SC wood cutter anyway. It's incredibly expensive at 44 aluminium ingots but appears to be pretty cheap to run once you have it. That's why I'm probably going to plunge a bunch of resources into medium batteries since one of the sodium medium batteries gets you one aluminium ingot.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 19, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

As a nuclear engineer, the fact that you need yellorite to make the reactor housing has always made me groan. A lot.

If you're including any mods that involve steel, make the reactor housing take steel, please. Actual reactor pressure vessels are almost entirely made out of a couple varieties of steel (stainless 304 and carbon steel, mostly), and steel in game is high up enough most tech trees that it would be an appropriate gating of the huge amounts of RF a good Big Reactor can pump out, as well as some cross-mod intersectioning. It's a good way to solve a few problems at once, and to stop having goddamned uranium in your reactor vessel. Just straight up swap out yellorite ingots for steel ingots and problem solved.

E: Dorky as hell request, if anyone ever hears about someone trying to make a fairly realistic Nuclear Power mod please, please try to get me in touch with them. I love my profession and I would be happy to consult on like science and engineering stuff.

Coming soon... :getin:

this is not going to be a mod i'm just gonna inject a little realism™ and tedium™ into BR

Taffer fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 19, 2016

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Replace all steel requirements with Terrasteel. Boom, fixed.

And change Terrasteel to require actual steel.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 19, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Way ahead of you on that second one

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Black Pants posted:

Now you're thinking with GregTech™.

Reactor casings need Terrasteel which needs steel plates which needs a Railcraft rolling machine which needs a power source and a blast furnace to make steel. But wait, you need charcoal or coal coke to power the blast furnace and the regular recipe has been disabled so you need a coke oven too!

I'll stop talking now. :downs:

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 20, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Glory of Arioch posted:

Have you tried TC5 at all? Most of the stuff you were describing simply isn't necessary to have in TC5. Research and vis are much more user-friendly.
Yes I just said earlier that TC5 is a big step up from 4 in a lot of ways, but while the research/vis plants aren't necessary, there's still a lot of stuff in Thaumic Bases that would probably be nice to have.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

Yes I just said earlier that TC5 is a big step up from 4 in a lot of ways, but while the research/vis plants aren't necessary, there's still a lot of stuff in Thaumic Bases that would probably be nice to have.

The research plants would still be useful. Knowledge fragments can be used in the table to add additional primals if you're struggling on a research, or can be right-clicked in hand to give you XP (which is used to buy secondary/easy mode researches).

I can see how the vis plants could work, too. When I get home I'm gonna download it and investigate.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CoreDuo posted:

I have to build an advanced assembler to get the SC wood cutter anyway. It's incredibly expensive at 44 aluminium ingots but appears to be pretty cheap to run once you have it. That's why I'm probably going to plunge a bunch of resources into medium batteries since one of the sodium medium batteries gets you one aluminium ingot.
The first MV machines I built were an MV steam turbine, battery buffer (4 slot), energy hatch, and 2 medium sodium batteries (super cheap). This let me shift my EBF entirely to MV instead of LV power, so it charges faster, and it's easier to track how many aluminium bars I can safely make -- one per filled battery. The energy hatch can take 2 amps, so both batteries can feed it at once. The real problem is keeping up steam production to fuel the single turbine now. Even with a 2x2x2 railcraft high pressure boiler at max temperature I can't make steam fast enough for constant EBF production, but that's to be expected at this point.
I haven't invested in a transformer yet so I still have some LV turbines attached to my steam tank and feeding a battery buffer to keep my array of LV machines running. Ideally I'll have a transformer soon so I can keep everything running off my MV turbine.

I'd upgrade to a larger boiler, but I can't produce enough fuel with only 4 coke ovens and I'm not eager to make more. My plan is to switch to Thaumcraft-powered charcoal production, rather than my standard coke ovens. With the right research, 2 vacuous and 1 ignis essentia will dupe charcoal. Vacuous has a number of options -- centrifuging tenebrae, which you can get pure from umbral roses (which grow on their own) will make tenebrae as well as lux. Or you could just smelt down a bunch of chests (2 logs and 2 planks with an assembler) and void the massive amounts of wood essentia you'll be getting.
The real ultimate goal is the advanced blast furnace, which makes about 1 charcoal a second, though. Also doesn't produce creosote, so no maintenance. I may want to beeline that.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I hope this makes you happy Magres

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody off-hand know how much water is needed for a given actively-cooled reactor? I thought it was so many buckets per fuel rod, but I can't find it.

Is that a mod that lets you define your own machines and stuff?

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

The first MV machines I built were an MV steam turbine, battery buffer (4 slot), energy hatch, and 2 medium sodium batteries (super cheap). This let me shift my EBF entirely to MV instead of LV power, so it charges faster, and it's easier to track how many aluminium bars I can safely make -- one per filled battery. The energy hatch can take 2 amps, so both batteries can feed it at once.

That's pretty much what I've been doing.

Vib Rib posted:

I'd upgrade to a larger boiler, but I can't produce enough fuel with only 4 coke ovens and I'm not eager to make more.

Coke ovens are easy since you can just throw sand and clay into an alloy smelter and get coke oven bricks, though obviously it's still considerably slower than the blast furnace.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 20, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody off-hand know how much water is needed for a given actively-cooled reactor? I thought it was so many buckets per fuel rod, but I can't find it.

Just dump water in it till it's full. It can't be overfilled so you don't need a specific amount.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Nah, I'm using minetweaker and modtweaker to alter machine recipes, this is the arc furnace from Immersive Engineering. I'm using CustomItems to define my own items/blocks, however. It's amazingly robust, it even lets you create custom inventories like chests, or gravity affected blocks and more. It's what I'm using to make Steel 304. Now that I have it I'm probably going to create a lot of custom items for injecting Tedium™ into my pack.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

one bucket of water turns in to one bucket of steam. You generally want to close the water loop between your reactor and turbines or else you'll be forced to find a way to generate 2 buckets of water every tick

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you link the fluid input/output of the reactor to those of the turbine, it'll recycle enough water forever with no loss too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Serifina posted:

As for Botania, there's basically not ever going to be an "official": release. Vazkii has gotten fed up with all the harassment she's received over the mod and has given it up. In 1.8.9 and onwards, williewillus is now the modder in charge of it.

Not keeping up with all the stuff, but what harassment was she getting? Botania is one of the better mods out there.