Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

No, it's just a type of test that specifically targets the logical/mathematical facet of intelligence.

It doesn't take into account things like spatial or musical intelligence, or any other kind of intelligence, for that matter.

Good for some things but as a delineator of intelligence it's a joke.

Doubly so since people use it to cast judgement on minorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

A butcher, actually. Been in the profession since I was a kid. Which, of course, means she's touched fewer low-quality pieces of meat than your mom has

My mom only buys the finest loin, and she is amazing at what she can do with it.

(legit hungry now).

Strudel Man posted:

I'm really not following your logic. What do you mean by "wouldn't be flat," and why wouldn't a downward pressure on intelligence reduce the number of smart people (for a given level of 'smart?')

It would reduce it, slowly, over time, maybe. But there would still be plenty of smart people being born. The whole movie is based on the idea that only this guy who is normal intelligence can save them and he's unique. There's be plenty of normal intelligence people and even geniuses being born to the stupid people in idiocracy.

quote:

Nah. It's kinda like global warming, really - well-founded scientifically, but politicized enough that certain circles dismiss it out of hand.

This isn't at all true. It's a well-founded test of passing IQ tests. Using that as a proxy for 'intelligence' is silly. Comparing it to global warming is stupid as poo poo, since global warming is an objectively verifiable fact based on physics, whereas IQ is a subjective measurement of a not-well-defined quality.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Chichevache posted:

lmao, they said the same thing about my Iq

Yeah except one of these is a real measure of manhood.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DandyLion posted:

Yeah except one of these is a real measure of manhood.

I say* :monocle:

*without knowing what I'm saying!

I object!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

btw high 5 on "highest they've seen" IQ but also being a huge failure at life. We're blood now.

Feels awful man :that green frog:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

btw high 5 on "highest they've seen" IQ but also being a huge failure at life. We're blood now.

Feels awful man :that green frog:

If you're talking to me I was kidding about "highest IQ evar" but serious about my SAT score (which I guess is a good indicator of success in academia but worthless if you have no drive, ambition, plans or persistence)

And it was the highest SAT score of a new HS with a graduating class of 200 or so.

Humblebrag, I guess. People get into ivy league schools because they do extracurriculars, write awesome entrance essays or whatever else with lower scores on the ACT, SAT or w/e.

I did gently caress all and did a nice job on my math and language bits. Then I continued to do gently caress all and welp

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Isn't IQ a bullshit measurement that skews favorably toward white upper-class males in any case?

I've heard that IQ tests are a decent way to measure intellectual aptitude within a group, but useless for comparing different groups.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sucrose posted:

I've heard that IQ tests are a decent way to measure intellectual aptitude within a group, but useless for comparing different groups.
Yep. This is (probably) the explanation for the so-called Flynn effect, the observation that tested average IQ rose gradually but significantly in the US and other Western countries from about the middle of the 20th century to the end of it.

Obdicut posted:

It would reduce it, slowly, over time, maybe. But there would still be plenty of smart people being born. The whole movie is based on the idea that only this guy who is normal intelligence can save them and he's unique. There's be plenty of normal intelligence people and even geniuses being born to the stupid people in idiocracy.
Yes, "slowly, over time" is how evolutionary pressure works, and why the movie is set 500 years in the future. (Which would still be fairly fast for such dramatic changes, of course, but we make allowances for the fact that it's a comedy).

quote:

This isn't at all true. It's a well-founded test of passing IQ tests. Using that as a proxy for 'intelligence' is silly. Comparing it to global warming is stupid as poo poo, since global warming is an objectively verifiable fact based on physics, whereas IQ is a subjective measurement of a not-well-defined quality.
It's well-correlated to performance on a great diversity of intellectual tasks. Insofar as intelligence is measurable at all, and not just something about which we throw up our hands and say "who knows?", IQ is known to be a decent metric.

In any case, though, I think I've posted enough about it in the subtle movie moments thread.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 08:18 on Mar 19, 2016

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Remember when this thread was about movies? I don't anymore.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Maybe it's time for the gritty Hollywood thread reboot.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shrapnig posted:

Remember when this thread was about movies? I don't anymore.

You just weren't reading closely enough. For example, that whole derail about IQs was actually a metadiscussion about The Cobbler.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
In eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, there is a scene where klementine keeps walking away from Joel, and every time he runs towards her she continues to move farther away because he is living a dream of a memory of this happening. When this scene was shot every time Carey runs past a certain light pole it's a cut but it's so fast and dynamic and fluid and edited so well you can't even tell. So for zero budget at all, gondry continues to hold the highly-complex tone and effect he is going for.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
In that same vein, the opening sequence of 'Snake Eyes' looks like a 20 minute take, where Nicholas Cage is presented with everything he'll need to solve the mystery later in the movie. After watching it again last night, there's at least 10 cuts during the setup! They are just hidden very well, especially for a movie from 1998.

Also, there's dialogue and set pieces related to a giant wave that is apparently in the script, but never happens on-screen.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There are so many of these in Zootopia, I'll just name one cause a lot of the jokes kinda revolve around cute little subtle moments
When they're in the train underground, where the sheep are growing Nighthowlers, the one Ram calls his cohorts Woolt and Jessie. The whole thing looks like a breaking bad scene starring wee animals

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
In 10 Cloverfield Lane, when Howard murders Emmet, you can see he has ear plugs in, so as not to damage his hearing when he shoots him in the face in the enclosed space.

Literally, if you blink, you miss it.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Strudel Man posted:

Yes, "slowly, over time" is how evolutionary pressure works, and why the movie is set 500 years in the future. (Which would still be fairly fast for such dramatic changes, of course, but we make allowances for the fact that it's a comedy).

It'd be insanely fast, and again, the basic premise doesn't work because you'd still have plenty of very smart people in that population. It's a fun movie but the premise has no basis in reality, and it doesn't have to. And comparing IQ's validity to global warming is ridiculous.

Subtle movie moment:

In "The Player" which you should seen if you haven't, there's too many to mention, mostly with the Hollywood insider stuff. But one thing I really liked: throughout the movie Griffin orders tons of different varieties of frou-frou bottled water. That and the line "This is a white wine glass, can I have my water in a water glass?" perfectly sum up a certain Hollywood shallowness.

Obdicut has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Mar 19, 2016

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

synthetik posted:

In that same vein, the opening sequence of 'Snake Eyes' looks like a 20 minute take, where Nicholas Cage is presented with everything he'll need to solve the mystery later in the movie. After watching it again last night, there's at least 10 cuts during the setup! They are just hidden very well, especially for a movie from 1998.

Also, there's dialogue and set pieces related to a giant wave that is apparently in the script, but never happens on-screen.

On the exact opposite of subtle, there's like 15 cuts in Taken 3 where Liam Neeson is running away from the cops and jumps a fence.

I don't mean like, 15 cuts for him jumping ALL the fences, I mean there's a shitton of them for him jumping A SINGLE FENCE. It moves all the way around from horrible to awesome.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The scene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's like Bollywood-level poo poo right there.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Obdicut posted:

It'd be insanely fast, and again, the basic premise doesn't work because you'd still have plenty of very smart people in that population. It's a fun movie but the premise has no basis in reality, and it doesn't have to. And comparing IQ's validity to global warming is ridiculous.
I think the thing people are missing is that the dummies are breeding at a faster rate than the smart folks. Add to the fact a growing sense of apathy from the smart people to have kids and you'll have more dumb people voting than smart people on things. Eventually you will have dumb people vote some dumb people instead of smart people in charge because the pool do smart people is smaller. I mean it may be happening right now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

holy poo poo, that's like parody-level of jump cuts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Android Bicyclist posted:

I think the thing people are missing is that the dummies are breeding at a faster rate than the smart folks. Add to the fact a growing sense of apathy from the smart people to have kids and you'll have more dumb people voting than smart people on things. Eventually you will have dumb people vote some dumb people instead of smart people in charge because the pool do smart people is smaller. I mean it may be happening right now.

HE JUST WANTS TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Away all Goats posted:

holy poo poo, that's like parody-level of jump cuts.

You ordered HOW MANY CAMERAS TODAY?!

gently caress, use them all. I don't care.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Android Bicyclist posted:

No, the premise of the movie is that he, an ordinary person, is the most intelligent person alive. It isn't that dummies are voting for the wrong people. And that's what's totally evolutionarily wrong, even after an actual evolutionary-length change there'd still be outliers who were smart.

It is okay that the premise of the movie doesn't make sense because it is an allegory and not an exploration of the properties of inheritance.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

president camacho is smart as hell

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
he's a big guy of course he has a big head it's not that subtle

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

president camacho's state of the union

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Camacho would be a better president than anyone currently running.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Camacho would be a better president than anyone currently running.
Lol at what dr mercedeces would say about how bernie sanders talks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sucrose posted:

I've read BMI works the same way.

IQ tests seem to be biased against certain types of intelligence though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I've read BMI works the same way.

IQ tests seem to be biased against certain types of intelligence though.

ya wheres the test that measures street smarts and how unlikely u are to think black guys are named jaquan

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

ya wheres the test that measures street smarts and how unlikely u are to think black guys are named jaquan

Please don't cut the doubtless legions of fans of your with posts this edgy "my dude" :ese:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

cracked but lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmZOZjHjT5E

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

what the gently caress happened to this thread

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

what the gently caress happened to this thread

Goons.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

The writing in Spotlight is so good you guys. It's about the newspaper reporters who uncovered the catholic priest sexual abuse scandal back in 2001. To break that story in Boston, where the Catholic Church and culture weild such power and influence, is an epic accomplishment in reporting. It's a real story so I'm not going to spoil tag this, but it is a specific but-non-vital part in the movie you should see so gently caress it.

My favorite thing was the victims they interviewed were highly specific and fully-realized, but were diverse and each of their stories was different and highlighted different aspects of abuse and survivors. One dude was clearly gay, and said he was gay before he was molested, but was also religious so this hosed with him forever, which is a great selection on a writing level because it addressed so many conceptions of being gay, being abused, and being religious so compactly. Another dude was undereducated, and seemed hard and confident like you get from being in prison or permanently poor in a tough neighborhood, had a kid and a wife he loves. Calls it human being poo poo, doesn't want his name used, but when he is told a name in a story could have a huge impact, he mans the gently caress up and says do it. These and others like them are an example of wonderfully compact writing the movie has in spades, it's enthralling.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Olaf The Stout posted:

The writing in Spotlight is so good you guys. It's about the newspaper reporters who uncovered the catholic priest sexual abuse scandal back in 2001. To break that story in Boston, where the Catholic Church and culture weild such power and influence, is an epic accomplishment in reporting. It's a real story so I'm not going to spoil tag this, but it is a specific but-non-vital part in the movie you should see so gently caress it.

My favorite thing was the victims they interviewed were highly specific and fully-realized, but were diverse and each of their stories was different and highlighted different aspects of abuse and survivors. One dude was clearly gay, and said he was gay before he was molested, but was also religious so this hosed with him forever, which is a great selection on a writing level because it addressed so many conceptions of being gay, being abused, and being religious so compactly. Another dude was undereducated, and seemed hard and confident like you get from being in prison or permanently poor in a tough neighborhood, had a kid and a wife he loves. Calls it human being poo poo, doesn't want his name used, but when he is told a name in a story could have a huge impact, he mans the gently caress up and says do it. These and others like them are an example of wonderfully compact writing the movie has in spades, it's enthralling.

doesn't sound very subtle

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Whoops double post so I'll just say my political party is president comacho.

Also why don't you watch the movie and tell me. And it's content which is more than bitching about quality of others content.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Olaf The Stout posted:

Whoops double post so I'll just say my political party is president comacho.

Also why don't you watch the movie and tell me. And it's content which is more than bitching about quality of others content.

the most subtle part of Spotlight was that Brad Pitt's character was illiterate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Smiling Jack posted:

the most subtle part of Spotlight was that Brad Pitt's character was illiterate

Brad Pitt isn't in Spotlight and I don't remember anyone being illiterate