Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Is there an actual picture of the poster this twit tried to steal? I must have missed it in all the ballyhoo.

North Korea showed it on CCTV footage of him taking it during his trial.

"Let's arm ourselves strongly with Kim Jong-il patriotism!" Kim Jong-il is blocked out because he's the Tetragrammaton of North Korea.

So yes, he could have stolen much more interesting posters, and North Korea probably got extra-pissed because he stole a poster with The Holy Name on it.

And yes, he pretty clearly did it, most likely while drunk since it happened on New Year's. Surprisingly, a police state puts cameras in hotels full of foreigners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrqxDTUjbTQ

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wonder if it would have been as big a deal if it wasn't a depiction of KJI. The real question is, what kind of prison can contain that mysterious shadow creature?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I wonder if it would have been as big a deal if it wasn't a depiction of KJI.

North Korea would still have taken the opportunity to arrest an American for leverage, probably, but given that people have been arrested for disposing of newspapers with one of the Holy Trinity's pictures incorrectly, yes, that upped the stakes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Of all the posters to steal, you pick the loving huge one with a stiff back so you can't roll it up, and it doesn't even have any cool art on it? :wtc:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well yeah he's a (drunk) dumbass but that choice is still disappointing considering they have masterpieces like these:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was also thinking that, yes, the art is far less interesting than some of the translated posters you can see around the Internet, with retro Soviet style and legends proclaiming One Thousand Times Revenge Against The Yankee Vampire.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
my favourite is the one with the sweaty North Korean and Caucasian men in leotards wrestling it up

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
HUGE RED GIANT WILL SMASH MAP OF ASIA MARKED "US"

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
And here's a ton of pics from someone who snuck into the same floor that Genius Shadowman Prisoner stole the poster from - it's an unmarked floor reserved for use by the North Korean employees, who get tons of wacky propaganda to help immunize them from being so close to evil all day.

http://monsoondiaries.com/2011/08/23/piso-cinco/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lum_ posted:

And here's a ton of pics from someone who snuck into the same floor that Genius Shadowman Prisoner stole the poster from - it's an unmarked floor reserved for use by the North Korean employees, who get tons of wacky propaganda to help immunize them from being so close to evil all day.

http://monsoondiaries.com/2011/08/23/piso-cinco/

It's a miracle that it took this long for one of these idiots to get arrested

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I think that kids sentence is way too harsh

10 years would have probably been fine, or maybe a public beating. Any 20 year old should be more than able to understand 'North Korea is absolutely not loving around'.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I think that kids sentence is way too harsh
You seem to be under the impression that North Korea is a rational state governed by the rule of law, with an eye towards proportional punishment. It is not.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

10 years would have probably been fine, or maybe a public beating. Any 20 year old should be more than able to understand 'North Korea is absolutely not loving around'.
Look on the bright side. With this dipshit picking corn kernels out of pig poo poo for breakfast and carrying 40kg logs on his back ten hours a day, perhaps 20-year-olds will, in fact, consider that North Korea does not have their best interests at heart.

They might even consider going somewhere else to wank off their ego. Like Syria. Or Afghanistan. Or the southern half of Somalia. But that's mostly wishful thinking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WarpedNaba posted:

You seem to be under the impression that North Korea is a rational state governed by the rule of law, with an eye towards proportional punishment. It is not.

I think he was responding to the people who keep acting like a 21-year-old somehow deserves 15 years of hard labor (with the possibility of it being a death sentence depending on how bad they want to keep him as a bargaining chip) for making a drunk mistake.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

A drunk mistake? I'm fairly certain he bought the ticket and made the arrangements while sober. Possibly.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If a North Korean citizen had been caught doing this he'd face far worse than this guy is going to get. He's getting off light.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cliff Racer posted:

If a North Korean citizen had been caught doing this he'd face far worse than this guy is going to get. He's getting off light.

Three generations of their family in a gulag.

I have to wonder, is there a group of people that just haven't heard what North Korea is like, or is it just hubris blinding people when they look around for poverty tourism spots?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WarpedNaba posted:

A drunk mistake? I'm fairly certain he bought the ticket and made the arrangements while sober. Possibly.

And I'm totally sure he was also stone cold sober when he decided that robbing a poster would be a good idea.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

chitoryu12 posted:

And I'm totally sure he was also stone cold sober when he decided that robbing a poster would be a good idea.

You know, plenty of people go to North Korea (or live there permanently,) get drunk and don't end up arrested.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

You know, plenty of people go to North Korea (or live there permanently,) get drunk and don't end up arrested.

Yeah, but they tend to be there on actual business. Like, say, that French guy who got sent down to oversee an animation studio.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Given the prevalence of Meth in Korea, it makes sense that he was all kinds of hosed up.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ocrumsprug posted:

I have to wonder, is there a group of people that just haven't heard what North Korea is like, or is it just hubris blinding people when they look around for poverty tourism spots?

They know exactly what North Korea is like and that's the entire reason they decide to go there.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

WarpedNaba posted:

I was being glib, actually

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

ocrumsprug posted:

Three generations of their family in a gulag.

North Korea made millions off insurance fraud in part because:

quote:

"All these companies learned a lesson," said an expert on the British insurance industry who is familiar with the helicopter case. "Never agree to have disputes decided in a North Korea court and never reinsure KNIC."

The North Korean insurance monopoly sometimes took advantage of the geographical and political ignorance of brokers and reinsurers, according to the London-based insurance expert. Some brokers and companies, he said, thought they were dealing with a company from South Korea, while others were unaware that North Korea is a secretive totalitarian state with one of the world's worst human rights records.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2016/03/22/North-Korea-troops-fighting-in-Syrian-civil-war-delegate-says/1021458696828/

North Korea supposedly fielding units in the Syrian clusterfuck.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I don't believe it. How would they even get there?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Discendo Vox posted:

North Korea has planes, believe it or not. And ships!

More to the point: when you become a brutal asshat dictator, is there some kind of agreement you make to have the back of every other murderous, lovely waste of flesh on the planet?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No, but you need some kind of alliance and they have one important factor in common, namely hating the West. It's kind of like how the unpopular kids in school often end up gravitating towards each other.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Syria has also paid North Korea much-needed hard currency for missile and nuclear tech - the reactor the Israelis bombed in 2007 was North Korean-designed and probably staffed as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Orchard

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Discendo Vox posted:

They have quite a few connections to the middle east.

quote:

However, this would not be the first time North Korea has supplied weapons to the Palestinian militant group. Back in 2009, a North Korean cargo plane made an emergency landing in Bangkok. Upon inspection, it was found carrying roughly 35 tons of arms believed to be destined to Gaza by way of Tehran. The plane was reportedly carrying, “rocket-propelled grenades, missile and rocket launchers, missile tubes, surface-to-air missile launchers, spare parts and other heavy weapons.”

After an investigation, a senior Israeli official accused North Korea of using the plane to ship weapons to Hezbollah and Hamas. “With huge numbers of different weapons … (it had the) intention to smuggling these weapons to Hamas and to Hezbollah,” then-Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said while visiting Japan in 2010.

That incident is part of a pattern. In 2009 alone, the U.S. claims that no less than five North Korean vessels were interdicted while carrying weapons intended for Iran or one of its non-state allies like Hamas and Hezbollah. Moreover, North Korea has a long history of supporting Palestinian militant groups. Back in the 1970s, Pyongyang is believed to have provided support to the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) and the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO). PLO leader Yasser Arafat visited North Korea repeatedly while in power and PLO militants reportedly used to train in the DPRK.

North Korea has also long maintained strong ties to the Assad regimes in Syria. Indeed, in recent years North Korea has stepped up its support to the much beleaguered government of Bashar al-Assad in Damascus. In August of last year, North Korea’s nominal head of state met with Syria’s prime minister during a trip to Tehran. Similarly, last year a Libyan-registered North Korean vessel was interdicted while trying to ship arms to Syrian forces via Turkey. That vessel was reportedly carrying 1,400 rifles and pistols, 30,000 bullets and a number of gas masks.

North Korea is also believed to be partly responsible for the Gaza tunnels at the heart of the current Middle Eastern conflict. North Korea has an extensive tunnel network that it has used to sneak operatives into South Korea.

They also do a lot of tunnel engineering for them as stated above.

All that said, I'm not 100% convinced (you can't be for anything about the dprk) but there are multiple sources, so.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My apologies, I didn't know NK had a genuinely functional international transport structure-nor that they were a conduit for so much suffering worldwide. Is NK the source of these arms/etc, or are they a proxy for Chinese or other interests?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PT6A posted:

North Korea has planes, believe it or not. And ships!

More to the point: when you become a brutal asshat dictator, is there some kind of agreement you make to have the back of every other murderous, lovely waste of flesh on the planet?

There was a great little ad with Mugabe (I think) reminiscing over happier days with now-departed dictators, like pushing Saddam on a swing.

Google is failing me and I can't remember who ran it or why. :saddowns:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There was a great little ad with Mugabe (I think) reminiscing over happier days with now-departed dictators, like pushing Saddam on a swing.

Google is failing me and I can't remember who ran it or why. :saddowns:

Nando's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6_qlRWw4Ec

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That may possibly be the only combat action the Norks have had in decades. Gotta get experience somewhere, I guess.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If they're the same quality as NK's national football team, they're in for a bad time in Syria.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

With the added bonus that they won't need to head back to Korea to be shot in the back of the head when they lose.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

If they're the same quality as NK's national football team, they're in for a bad time in Syria.

Do you mean soccer or American football? Because while I can see them having soccer teams, there must be some kind story behind forming an American football team.

Edit: I just realized that it would probably involve the various American POWs and prisoners they've taken over the years. :smith:

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 24, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What you would call soccer, yes. They participated in the World Cup a few years ago and lost by something like 10-0 to Brazil. I really felt bad for them.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Phlegmish posted:

What you would call soccer, yes. They participated in the World Cup a few years ago and lost by something like 10-0 to Brazil. I really felt bad for them.

I'd laugh about it, but that soccer team probably bought their families a trip to the gulag with that loss :smith:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'd like to see a NK rugby team, but that would lead to a brutal slaughter. A literal one. Like, worse than the Panmunjom axe murders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Phlegmish posted:

...Err, not quite. It was 2-1 for Brazil in the 2010 World Cup. It was the Portuguese who turned over the North Koreans 7-0, but honestly their side isn't terrible. Thus far they are on top of their group in Asian World Cup qualifiers with one game to go. Probably among the 10 top sides in the AFC, albeit in the bottom of that list.