Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

RCarr posted:

Why not? (Genuinely asking, I don't remember if she could or couldn't)

Do we know where the hatch is physically located? I don't remember it ever being shown, and by that point there's acid and fire blocking off a decent portion of the bunker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RCarr posted:

Why not? (Genuinely asking, I don't remember if she could or couldn't)

By that point in the movie she had some pretty limited options of where she could and couldn't walk. Like I said, if she had free choice of how to exit the place the right answer would just have been the front door. She went the way that the options presented to her allowed.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

Do we know where the hatch is physically located? I don't remember it ever being shown, and by that point there's acid and fire blocking off a decent portion of the bunker.

I'd have to rewatch it, but I'm pretty sure we should be able to tell where the hatch is located.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

By that point in the movie she had some pretty limited options of where she could and couldn't walk. Like I said, if she had free choice of how to exit the place the right answer would just have been the front door. She went the way that the options presented to her allowed.

I understand what you're saying, I'm just not sure if we were shown what was blocked by fire or if you're just giving us your theory. I guess we don't even know if she ever cleared the obstruction that was blocking the hatch while she was up there the first time, so maybe it's best not to look too far into it. It just seemed odd to me.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 17, 2016

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
She also didn't have the keys and it's a lot easier to freeze and shatter one lock as opposed to like six.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
My memory is always hazy but I seem to recall that when she was done cycling the system she was helped down from the vent which led to the "good teamwork" dialogue. If that's the case, it might be that the latch is broken permanently.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ape Agitator posted:

My memory is always hazy but I seem to recall that when she was done cycling the system she was helped down from the vent which led to the "good teamwork" dialogue. If that's the case, it might be that the latch is broken permanently.

I'm almost entirely sure the "good teamwork" came after the discussion with Emmet about the earrings and who was in the picture Howard said was his daughter. I think after fixing the air filtration system (and the discovery immediately following), the next time we see her is in Howard's room. Could be that the hatch is in there, or that they snuck in while he was off fixing it elsewhere.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Fat Pony posted:

A theory floating around the subreddit is that there was no Brittany, and Howard was essentially telling the truth the entire time. Emmet lied about it being a different girl because he was the one who trapped Meagan in the air filtration room and eventually killed her.

Support for this theory so far:

- Howard's line, "I know what a traitor looks like" because he thinks that his wife kidnapped his daughter and fled to either DC or Chicago

I would hazard a guess that the line "I know what a traitor looks like", is because Meagan got caught writing "help me" in the air filtration room. The bloody earring was there on the ground, probably as a result of Howard hitting her upon discovering her "treason". She was kept down there long enough that she had to play along with Howard's game, but when she got the opportunity, she tried calling for help, thus becoming a traitor.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How did Horward get into that area?

It wasn't always blocked off. Would be silly to have your extremely important AF unit in an inaccessible room.

-e VVV

Remote User fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 17, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Through the hatch that is now mysteriously obstructed.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

She couldn't get to the hatch, she could get to the vents, which her experience in vent climbing had shown her was a way out. If she had free reign to move freely and just go out however she wanted she would have gone out the front door.

The vent was a honeypot

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The blocked hatch was in the storage room, where she just left the psychopath. She wanted to go out the front door, saw all that poo poo was on fire, went through the hatch.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So John Goodman knew she was in the vents, and instead of just opening the hatch and waiting for her at the other end, he decided to try to stab her through the vent, and give up once she got to the filtration room?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RCarr posted:

So John Goodman knew she was in the vents, and instead of just opening the hatch and waiting for her at the other end, he decided to try to stab her through the vent, and give up once she got to the filtration room?

Did she actually clear the hatch? The filtration room might just be the only exit she can reach that he can't.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RCarr posted:

He was also on fire and boiled in acid so I don't really think you are going to find any sort of plot hole in him raging around blindly instead of planning out some stealth tactics or whatever.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dienes posted:

Did she actually clear the hatch? The filtration room might just be the only exit she can reach that he can't.

They never show or mention if she did or not, that's why it's confusing.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He was also on fire and boiled in acid so I don't really think you are going to find any sort of plot hole in him raging around blindly instead of planning out some stealth tactics or whatever.

I don't think [Girl is in this room now, use door that leads to that room] would be considered stealth tactics. Not to mention him using that door would save his own life as well. I guess he was so enraged that he didn't care about living either?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RCarr posted:

They never show or mention if she did or not, that's why it's confusing.

I don't think [Girl is in this room now, use door that leads to that room] would be considered stealth tactics. Not to mention him using that door would save his own life as well. I guess he was so enraged that he didn't care about living either?

From his perspective, going outside is also a death sentence, if he was even able to reach/use the main exit between the fire and his injuries. So if he is going to die, might as well take her down with him.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Actually, being melted and on fire really helps channel the inner solid snake. I make my most tactically-realistic decisions under those conditions.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RCarr posted:

Are you saying this like it's a plot hole that he didn't do a particular thing or are you saying this as like a criticism that you could have done better if you were the one doused in acid and surrounded by fire?

If you want extreme realism the thing he would have done is be useless and near dead and not attack her at all.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Both. It's not like because he was burned by acid that he suddenly can't move or think. He speaks to MEW and is able to follow her around just fine after he gets the acid wash.

He has some burns on his skin he's absolutely not near death.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RCarr posted:

Both. It's not like because he was burned by acid that he suddenly can't move or think. He speaks to MEW and is able to follow her around just fine after he gets the acid wash.

You can still speak clearly and follow someone while still behaving emotionally and/or irrationally due to insanity/fear/anger/pain.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RCarr posted:

I still don't know if you are trying to point this as an actual plot hole or just say you'd have done better in the same situation.

If you want to know why he stamped around being emotional and crazy instead of doing it the calmer and better way the answer is he was the monster that lives at cloverfield all along.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The broken door is just a basic plot explanation for why Michelle needs to crawl through a vent. For the purposes of the narrative, there is no door.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I don't take the Cloverfield link as entirely cynical though. They have a lot of similar underlying themes, and if as a franchise the entire link is "alien invasions from the smaller scale perspective of average chumps" that's cool with me.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it.

I feel like a moron, but I had no idea there was a giant ship above Houston until I came to this thread. Was the ship right above the city and I was somehow that oblivious or was it more like the closing shot of Cloverfield where audiences might miss the brief glimpse of the satellite crashing into the Atlantic?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I bet the people in this thread talking about honeypots are the same people who try to convince everyone on the internet about their super original fan theory that every cartoon character is in a coma.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it.

I feel like a moron, but I had no idea there was a giant ship above Houston until I came to this thread. Was the ship right above the city and I was somehow that oblivious or was it more like the closing shot of Cloverfield where audiences might miss the brief glimpse of the satellite crashing into the Atlantic?

You can see it because of the lightning, top-right of the screen.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I liked when they played catchphrase

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Loved this movie - started really slow but once we're at the bunker it's good times. I thought the whole time that Howard was lying his face off. And then the woman comes running at the door. Suddenly I believed that maybe he's right.... fast forward to the birds and again, ah it's all bullshit! That woman was just crazy! Well, we know what happens next.

Still boggles my mind that this is directed from the film geek on Totally Rad Show. Huge props to him and I hope his career takes off after this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vintersorg posted:

Loved this movie - started really slow but once we're at the bunker it's good times. I thought the whole time that Howard was lying his face off. And then the woman comes running at the door. Suddenly I believed that maybe he's right.... fast forward to the birds and again, ah it's all bullshit! That woman was just crazy! Well, we know what happens next.

Still boggles my mind that this is directed from the film geek on Totally Rad Show. Huge props to him and I hope his career takes off after this.

The woman wasn't crazy, she was (presumably) sprayed with the toxin from the extermination ships. It just that the toxin lasts in the air for a matter of minutes, not days or weeks.

e: oh I'm sure you already know this, nevermind, didn't parse that correctly.

The aliens probably aren't from Mars, either. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 19, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is the thing that ties the two cloverfield movies together the moral "satellites are bad"?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is the thing that ties the two cloverfield movies together the moral "satellites are bad"?

They are both invasion movies from a regular persons point of view.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

synthetik posted:

They are both invasion movies from a regular persons point of view.

I love this use of spoiler tags. What could it possibly say in there!? Gotta see the movie to find out!

They are both [spoiler]DELIGHTFUL NARRATIVES[\spoiler] from a regular persons point of view

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I think everyone's ignoring the best part of the movie.

and holy gently caress, "You are the in flight meal". I didn't catch that in the theatre.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I liked when they played catchphrase

"I know what you're up to!! I'm always watching!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The Catchphrase scene was great because it showed how deep Howard's psychosis was. He saw Michelle as his daughter, just a little girl so Emmitt trying to get him to say "woman" was just out of line for him. "A little girl... A princess..."

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Really wish this movie had cut out everything towards the last quarter, from when she escaped to right before she turned towards Houston. That whole alien fight seemed really lame.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing that didn't bother me while watching it, but kind of does now that I was talking with a friend about it is just how incompetent the aliens are and how that's sort of an annoying thing in movies. like, they really sucked at their job.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They did a good job until MEW found a weak point.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

NESguerilla posted:

One thing that didn't bother me while watching it, but kind of does now that I was talking with a friend about it is just how incompetent the aliens are and how that's sort of an annoying thing in movies. like, they really sucked at their job.

They seemed more like hungry animals than deep schemers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Space Hamlet posted:

I love this use of spoiler tags. What could it possibly say in there!? Gotta see the movie to find out!

They are both [spoiler]DELIGHTFUL NARRATIVES[\spoiler] from a regular persons point of view

If you didn't know what happens in the third act you wouldn't know that's the genre? It was a total surprise to me. Sorry I offended you by using spoiler tags.

• Locked thread