Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

TTerrible posted:

That is a verteran sergeant helmet afaik. Red for the rank, white for the vet status.

Yup. Red is sergeant, white is veteran, red with white stripe is veteran sergeant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

To be fair if any setting is going to have mundane factory doors be "screw you, you aren't blowing this open" strength, it would be 40k. Maybe when Graiah was founded they decided to waste valuable resources by making the doors adamantium for some reason.

It's true. In WH40K it makes sense.The Ministorum probably had a cleric fall asleep at his desk and in his haste to get his paperwork quota done for the day he ordered 4,000,000 adamantium doors and coffee tables.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Yeah I know this a pretty goonie debate over the proper markings and what not. I'll likely use the plumed helm and chest piece with the Ultima medallions hanging from the bottom for the champ, and the others I'll likely do either helmetless with laurels and extra purity seals and bling, or white/gold helms. I'm kind of torn, mainly cause I hate painting white.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You could also paint laurels on the helmets, like they used to on the metal veterans:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

Yeah I know this a pretty goonie debate over the proper markings and what not. I'll likely use the plumed helm and chest piece with the Ultima medallions hanging from the bottom for the champ, and the others I'll likely do either helmetless with laurels and extra purity seals and bling, or white/gold helms. I'm kind of torn, mainly cause I hate painting white.

Here's my command squad Ventris. I used one of the plumed helms for the champion which took a little modification to fit but looks rad I think, the apothecary and standard bearer are pretty much as they came apart from some ultramarines upgrade shoulder pads and stuff. I made Uriel Ventris with the black reach captain and some ultras parts, and Pasanius Lysane is kinda kitbashed with parts from lots of different kits.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

You could also paint laurels on the helmets, like they used to on the metal veterans:

That skull is winking at me, so cute!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I went ahead and put those power pack ornaments on the 3 that aren't the champion/apoth so that will go a bit further. I avoid banners because they make the bastards a pain to transport.

I noticed you got a heavy Flamer on your dude? Is that legal for Ultras?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The only codex marine units that can take heavy flamers are Sternguard and Legion of the Damned. Blood Angels can take them in tactical squads.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Whelp, bought a demon army on the cheap so I can play bullshit screemer/drone stars, maybe learn the wizard phase, and have a summoning box.

Really it's just an excuse to make 4 neat radical inquisitors "heralds" so I can keep it tied to my otherwise 100% imperium collection. :v:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Idea for something that could work for you and look cool, though it requires some bits buying most likely. Give them all gold Knight helmets, or if you want to do some cutting and give them a sort of Spartan look, get some of the chaos helms that have the T/Y vision and mouth slits, cut off the horns and smooth the helm where they were. Then add helmet crests.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Warhammer 40K- That's the wrong color helmet for 500.M41

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Uroboros posted:

I noticed you got a heavy Flamer on your dude? Is that legal for Ultras?

As others have said, nope! I don't play though so it doesn't matter for me, and I wanted to make a fluff-accurate Sgt Pasanius, so heavy flamer and the robot arm (technically the wrong arm but gently caress trying to convert the arm holding the flamer to a bionic).

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I was thinking of getting back into 40k after a nearly decade long hiatus. I really like the idea of a Grey Knight Nemesis Strikeforce, but some posters were saying Terminators are basically garbage now? Would that list be competitive? Which races are the go to for competitive play these days?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SlipUp posted:

I was thinking of getting back into 40k after a nearly decade long hiatus. I really like the idea of a Grey Knight Nemesis Strikeforce, but some posters were saying Terminators are basically garbage now? Would that list be competitive? Which races are the go to for competitive play these days?

Termies of all flavors are terrible. GK are really good for two things: purifers in pods and Draigo to gate around centurions. Dreadknights are super fun but are honestly to fair to be really competitive.

Every race except maybe Orks can be pretty competitive right now, but the best book is probably Eldar.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

SlipUp posted:

Competitive these days means alpha-grognard level of hyper-formation shenanigans. There's a massive proliferation of AP2 and high strength or mass shooting that either 1 shots or easily withers away large, expensive units like Grey Knights.

For maximum competitiveness, you'll want to look into Tau, Eldar, Mechanicum, codex Space Marines, White Scars and/or including Knight Titans as an accessory to your force or as their own standalone (though this may be on the downswing as people dropping 5 knight titans in 1850 is sort of a solved puzzle these days).

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I've only run one Knight in one game but it owned.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ANAmal.net posted:

I've only run one Knight in one game but it owned.

I ran a Knight once and it got shithoused by a bunch of Meganobz.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
gently caress Ultramarines. Salamanders and Black Templars 4 lyfe.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
So CC heavy armies are essentially dead?

drat. Back in my day a Blood Angel rhino rush was as OP as you could get.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

SlipUp posted:

Making the charge distance and then throwing 40 attacks, with re-rolls still feels good man. Get some friends and play what you like the fluff of and painting up.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

SlipUp posted:

It's a mix of the rulebook rules favoring shooting over close combat, and the standard of "good assault unit" tipping from "hey, these assault marines en masse could be a credible threat" to "here are special characters from three different books mashed into a squad of Centurions and they're all invisible psykers with everything-proof armor"

Like in 4th edition when Apocalypse dropped my friend nick joked about a chaplain leading a squad of genestealers inside of a wartrukk as the most broken poo poo possible, but that wouldn't even be considered "good" in 7th if it were possible.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It wouldn't even have been good in 4th edition considering how bad transports were and Apocalypse's access to super-heavy tanks.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

koreban posted:

For maximum competitiveness, you'll want to look into Tau, Eldar, Mechanicum, codex Space Marines, White Scars and/or including Knight Titans as an accessory to your force or as their own standalone (though this may be on the downswing as people dropping 5 knight titans in 1850 is sort of a solved puzzle these days).

Ahahahahahahaha... AHAHAHAHAHA... Mechanicus... right... Don't look into mechanicus, look into the War Convocation. The rest of the mechanicus is poo poo.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Anyone buying Orks? Got 40 sluggas(axe and pistol?) 8 Lootas, 4 big shootas, at least I think they are, 11 nobs, some of which are based on Black Orc bodies, a dok, a possibly broken warboss and a ton of random bits, broken poo poo, and god-knows-what dude was thinking. Also, what looks to be an attempt at bikers on boars. Five of those.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

That is the same day as Salute in the UK. I doubt there will be much overlap with GW diehards, but eh.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I love the juxtaposition of epic orchestral music from Space Marine with goofy old heavy metal album cover artwork.

I finished the last of the Meganobz! They've been sitting on my painting table as I passed them over for Kommandos and other projects, but I've finally bulked the squad out to 9 of the big lugs.

And now that I've finished up the squad, here's all 9!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

SRM posted:

I love the juxtaposition of epic orchestral music from Space Marine with goofy old heavy metal album cover artwork.

I loving love the Space Marine soundtrack, and Titus' Theme in particular, but yeah, perhaps some Bolt Thrower or D-Rok would have been more appropriate.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SlipUp posted:

Well tuned CC armies are what kills my Tau quite often or at least gets a tie.

And then you have stuff like the Invisibility-cheesing, rerollable cover-save bikers ( I forget the Chapter name) who overran my entire army on turn 3.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
My experience of CC in 7e has been either underwhelming and expensive or an unstoppable 600pt blob. There doesn't seem to be much of an in between. My opponent pool is small though and standard disclaimers about local meta

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

SlipUp posted:

Close combat armies were dead but the meta is beginning a slow swing back toward better rules for newer codices. Khorne Daemonkin are fun and can go pretty heavily into CC. Space Wolves with the new Wulfen get some gross CC buffs. The Space Marine Skyhammer Annihilation formation can tie up a good chunk of your opponents army and is nigh-unstoppable with a decent scatter roll. There's a lot of exceptional CC units around*, the trick is finding the right balance and, like always, hoping they don't get shot to poo poo before they make the front line.

If you're not playing in tournaments Grey Knights would be fine. There is a TON of AP2 out there, so it would be best to diversify your list and potentially bring your Terminators in a transport, although that's a million points.

*Except Tyranids

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I loving love the Space Marine soundtrack, and Titus' Theme in particular, but yeah, perhaps some Bolt Thrower or D-Rok would have been more appropriate.

Titus's Theme and Prelude to War sound the same, but I prefer the later. What I want is the first 2 minutes of the War theme from Avatar when the humans are gearing up to put the hurt on the Na'vi. That song gets my war boner going.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Well gently caress. If it's a limited edition Crimson Fists model, I may have to get my rear end to a GW store for the event...

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Finished the first round of my GT, managed to table a semi-traditional Tau list on turn four.

End of game:

There are five other Tau players here and literally every one is four to five Riptides plus something, including two with Stormsurges. I do not look forward to the next potential matchup. I'm tied with six other players for full points. Time to get slapped down. :smith:

Edit: got Riptides and a Stormsurge. Goddamnit.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 19, 2016

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Finished the first round of my GT, managed to table a semi-traditional Tau list on turn four.

End of game:

There are five other Tau players here and literally every one is four to five Riptides plus something, including two with Stormsurges. I do not look forward to the next potential matchup. I'm tied with six other players for full points. Time to get slapped down. :smith:

Tau have such neat stuff that spamming riptides makes me sad.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

End of game:

I love jungle terrain, love winged Tyranids, hate anime and love Tyranids winning... truly a lovely photo. Those terrain pieces really are neat - I wish I had more storage space for terrain, so I could keep adding to my table!

For my return contribution of cool winged Tyranids fighting nerd/anime armies in the jungle, here's photos from a recent game. Game was 1500, Purge the Alien, Aspect Warrior Eldar themed list commanded by me versus my close-combat Nids themed list under control of my brother. Sorry if the tenses and conjugation/phrasing below are a bit odd, I pulled most of the text from our "live-posting" of the game in our friends' private Facebook Ham Slam group.

We scattered a buffalo chicken in each area terrain piece - when someone moves into it, the chicken detonates in a large blast. Nobody died from this during the game, but it did result in some careful maneuvering when entering terrain.

My brother loved actually playing the flying Tyrant for once instead of bearing the brunt of its shots, and he took out 4 Dark Reapers on the first turn.

I was able to get the charge off against the Warriors next turn with my almost-finished-being-painted Shining Spears. Thanks to the goons who donated/sold me bits for the wings!

After some lucky snap shots and lots of failed cover saves, the swooping Tyrant has one wound left.

Tyranids turn 2... monster deep strikes! Dimachaeron arrives in a Tyrannocyte.

And a Trygon arrives directly behind my useless Warlock.

Flying Tyrant tries to manifest a power and Perils himself to death giving me First Blood, Slay the Warlord, and a kill point.

My warlord (Warp Spider Exarch) got swallowed whole by the Red Terror!!

Enormous alien bug about to get his rear end whooped by the Avatar. The Avatar is a total beast this edition, he killed a ton without ever taking a single wound in return.

YMGARL BLAST FROM THE PAST! My brother and I allow each other to use units dropped from updated Codexes, since we often put a lot of work into converting them. I've also got a Doom of Malan'Tai and Parasite of Mortrex that see occasional play.

The Eldar chop another monster in half before it even gets to fight back (Scorpion Exarch with claw, Banshee Exarch with big choppy thing). Monsters having a rough day. At this point the score was 6:6.

I thought my Falcon was about to be punished for its hubris... but the Genestealers inflicted zero hull points. They did, however, murder the Shining Spears!

The game ended after this, Eldar favor, 11:7. This was my first-ever game using the new Eldar Codex, and my first ever game using Formations (the Aspect Warrior one, twice). As much as I love the new Aspect Warrior rules, the Codex is an improvement on an already-strong older book and the Formations add free improvements to units that already got improved. I foresee my Eldar winning a disproportionate number of games against my Catachan and Tyranids in the future.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Have not played against proper Eldar in forever, and they never brought an Avatar, might be fun if someone decides to bring one in for a match, by the looks of it

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 20, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

evilmiera posted:

Have not played against proper Eldar in forever, and they never brought an Avatar, might be fun if someone decides to bring one in for a mstch, by the looks of it

Just played a Wraithhost Eldar list after my drubbing from the Riptide game (didn't get killed just lost on mission). The opponent conceded on top of five with two units left. The bugs are back in business.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Proper Eldar armies are cool as hell, and honestly I find them harder to deal with than Wraithost silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kilo147 posted:

Anyone buying Orks? Got 40 sluggas(axe and pistol?) 8 Lootas, 4 big shootas, at least I think they are, 11 nobs, some of which are based on Black Orc bodies, a dok, a possibly broken warboss and a ton of random bits, broken poo poo, and god-knows-what dude was thinking. Also, what looks to be an attempt at bikers on boars. Five of those.

I may. Would have to be fairly close to a dumpster fire price if its preprainted heavily chopped up.

• Locked thread