Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

Bunch of stuff about hydraulic splitters.

So their selling point is 'noiseless, vibration and dust free', yet they require boring a bunch of holes... which is going to be noisy, with lots of vibration and make dust. Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yep. Very few ways to do any of that without at least some noise, vibration, and dust however.

I will admit it's less noisy, vibrate-y, and dusty than blasting, but for road construction outside, it's probably not worth going the hydraulic splitter route when you can just blast it. For stuff inside a building or tunnel, or in an unstable area in a mine, it might be worth it. Or if you want to split the stone into very nice even pieces and use them for something instead of just making them removable with a bucketloader.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Magres posted:

Yeah if you blow up the gif and watch it a few times you can see she's riding with neither hand on her handle bars and is clutching something right in front of her face until the last second. In the still frame you can see it in her left hand (right side for us)

As she hits you can see it fly upward out of her left hand. I'm loathe to call it hilarious because she might be grievously injured, even dead from that head hit, but god drat if you assume she walked away okay it is hysterical to see that phone fly away

Natural selection, if we're lucky she'll be paralyzed and NOT be able to ever drive again, at the very least

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
E: nm not worth starting a slapfight

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Q: How do you make a dozen people post "Oh that must be from $my_city"?

A:

https://i.imgur.com/R0dxnh9.webm

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
He needs to get some curb feelers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ozz81 posted:

Natural selection, if we're lucky she'll be paralyzed and NOT be able to ever drive again, at the very least

I wonder why she gets the hate and the guy driving over the centerline with oncoming traffic gets none?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

wayfinder posted:

A:

Remi Gaillard. :D

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2trU8xi9jQ

This is my boring footage of a recent accident I was involved in. At first I didn't mention my dash cam because the police report stated the other driver was at fault which I assumed would be sufficient. Well the other driver stated he came to a complete stop in the road when he saw me coming and I was the only moving vehicle and ran into him. At this point the adjuster at Geico turns into an rear end in a top hat and accuses me of causing the accident and fraud. So I call up my insurance agent and send him the footage. The adjuster for my insurance company says the other driver is 100% at fault, send the video over and they would back me up if needed. I send it over to the fuckers at Geico and now they accuse me of driving a commercial vehicle due to having a dash cam and state that I had a free lane(oncoming) lane to avoid the accident. They rule again I'm at fault.

Now I'm having to fork out cash for my deductible and wait to be refunded. I'm sick and tired of this bullshit and maybe had I reacted instantly I could have avoided it by moving into the other lane but I have swerved in the past on the interstate and nearly caused a worse accident by avoiding texting/drifting drivers. I've trained myself to remain in my lane and lay on the horn which has kept accident free on the interstate thus far. I did the same thing here and laid into the horn but the 16yo kid never let up. What do you guys think? I know I'm not 100% at fault but am I to blame at all?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Geico's job isn't to help you. That is your insurance company.
Also, fight back.

Edit: watched the video. You should never ever assume that rear end in a top hat in the other car will stop. You might have some small amount of legal fault, but you could easily have avoided this by stopping when you saw him flying down that driveway.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 18, 2016

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002
Yea, I likely could have stopped in time had I reacted immediately when I saw him but then again I saw brake lights and had the right of way.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MoonCricket posted:

Yea, I likely could have stopped in time had I reacted immediately when I saw him but then again I saw brake lights and had the right of way.

Right of way doesn't mean your duty to avoid an accident is gone. Reacted instantly is a bit of an overstatement. You have a solid 4 seconds to react from when that car comes into view to do something, like brake, or move over to the other lane. You mention avoiding that but it's clear there was no other traffic there, so it doesn't work as a defense here.

Other dude is majority at fault but honestly the video probably does more harm than good. What state are you in?

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002
AL

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Am I missing something or are you communicating with both insurance companies at the same time? That's a terrible thing to do. Either way, Geico is a piece of poo poo company, but that sort of behavior is fairly common across the board. Just wait it out and your company will prevail. Kudos on having that camera, it really helped out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Well, you're hosed. Alabama is a contributory negligence state, which basically boils down to "If you contribute to an accident in any way (even 1%), you are not able to recover damages from the other party."

GEICO will stand tall and tell you and your insurance company to gently caress off, and the only defense your company will have is to file arbitration, which they may or may not, depending on the cost of damages and if they feel they can prevail. If, and only if, they win in arbitration, GEICO will pay your company and you'll get your deductible back. This process takes months.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ignoring the stupid law in AL that was just posted, IMO you are not at fault. The car backing out of the driveway must 100% yield to traffic in the roadway, and he actually backed into you, you didn't 'hit' him at all.

Also, gently caress GEICO.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Am I missing something or are you communicating with both insurance companies at the same time? That's a terrible thing to do. Either way, Geico is a piece of poo poo company, but that sort of behavior is fairly common across the board. Just wait it out and your company will prevail. Kudos on having that camera, it really helped out.

I went straight to Geico once I got the police report. Then when they stated I was at-fault despite what the police report said I went to my insurance agent and he ran the video through their guys. Told me to send it to geico and see how they ruled then and come back. Now I'm dealing solely with my insurance agent but we are in a waiting game because the cop screwed up the number of occupants in each vehicle(which the video shows later on) so they are amending it. I just wanted to see what AI had to say.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If my insurance agent told me to deal with the other driver's insurance company myself I'd ask him what I was paying him for. That's *his* job.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002
In hindsight that was a mistake but I wanted to avoid the deductible if possible and I thought the police report would settle it quickly.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Phanatic posted:

If my insurance agent told me to deal with the other driver's insurance company myself I'd ask him what I was paying him for. That's *his* job.

The last two times someone bumped one of our cars this is exactly the conversation I had with my insurance agent (GEICO).

"What, exactly, am I paying you for if you're just going to tell me to handle this situation on my own?"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

The Mandingo posted:

The last two times someone bumped one of our cars this is exactly the conversation I had with my insurance agent (GEICO).

"What, exactly, am I paying you for if you're just going to tell me to handle this situation on my own?"

Oh you're helping pay for a small part of the billion plus dollars they spend on ads every loving year. gently caress geico and their inescapable ads

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BraveUlysses posted:

Oh you're helping pay for a small part of the billion plus dollars they spend on ads every loving year. gently caress geico and their inescapable ads

I don't watch TV. I coincidentally haven't seen a Geico commercial in years.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
And they've got FOUR different mascots! The gecko, the caveman, the Rod Serling guy, and the talking pile of money! Just pick one already!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's not your fault at all but in incidents like the above I always err on the side of caution because 99% of drivers are loving awful and shouldn't have a license because they're thick as poo poo.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Unfortunately last time I compared price a lot of places came back and said that they'd save me $10/month for my auto insurance... but my renters insurance would go up by $100/year. Not worthwhile to change, so I'm stuck with GEICO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All insurance companies are garbage anyways.. they exist solely to take your money and come up with excuses not to give any of it back to you.

I mean some might be marginally "less bad" but that's not really saying much when you're digging around in the scum at the bottom of a deep hole.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

xzzy posted:

All insurance companies are garbage anyways.. they exist solely to take your money and come up with excuses not to give any of it back to you.

I mean some might be marginally "less bad" but that's not really saying much when you're digging around in the scum at the bottom of a deep hole.

Sorry but USAA owns bones.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SyHopeful posted:

Sorry but USAA owns bones.

agreed

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

USAA actually operates exactly the same as other companies. Good and bad experiences. The industry is so regulated and competitive that all major insurance companies have almost identical products and service. There may be some unique offerings here and there, but the core of what you're paying for is the same.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

USAA actually operates exactly the same as other companies. Good and bad experiences. The industry is so regulated and competitive that all major insurance companies have almost identical products and service. There may be some unique offerings here and there, but the core of what you're paying for is the same.

Every time I shop for insurance, I find that nobody else will even come close to the rates that I'm getting from State Farm Mutual. I think one of the ways the industry works is that the good drivers get on a 'premium' (or in State Farm's case their 'Mutual') plan after 'x' years with them, that pretty much locks them into that company unless they are willing to pay much higher rates for a few years just to switch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't watch TV. I coincidentally haven't seen a Geico commercial in years.

Well you aren't paying attention, they run print ads, billboards, race cars sponsorships and even in my region they're the only goddamned company flying advertising banners.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Yeah, many companies have a system of losing rates over time for good behavior. Geico usually raises the rate, once the introductory period is up. They're counting on you to either not notice, out don't bother switching over $40/year increase. Then it's the same story next cycle. Every single person I know, who bought Geico insurance is telling me this same story. Those ads sure are effective.

Bundled and/or specialized insurance is the ticket. I have commercial auto, home and motorcycle policies, all from different companies. All purchased through an agency, renewed and switched around about once per year, if someone offers a better deal. It's just a 5min phonecall, agency costs are paid by the insurer. Try it sometime, the results may surprise you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Locator posted:

Every time I shop for insurance, I find that nobody else will even come close to the rates that I'm getting from State Farm Mutual. I think one of the ways the industry works is that the good drivers get on a 'premium' (or in State Farm's case their 'Mutual') plan after 'x' years with them, that pretty much locks them into that company unless they are willing to pay much higher rates for a few years just to switch.

It's not the rates that are a cause for concern. It's what happens when you make a claim.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MoonCricket posted:

I went straight to Geico once I got the police report. Then when they stated I was at-fault despite what the police report said I went to my insurance agent and he ran the video through their guys. Told me to send it to geico and see how they ruled then and come back. Now I'm dealing solely with my insurance agent but we are in a waiting game because the cop screwed up the number of occupants in each vehicle(which the video shows later on) so they are amending it. I just wanted to see what AI had to say.

You might be able to use this to your advantage - I got out of a speeding ticket when I went to court and found out the officer (a) didn't show up and (b) marked the wrong speed for the zone we were in. Even a single, slight inaccuracy can cause doubts about the accuracy of the rest of the report, and you having video of the incident works in your favor too.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ozz81 posted:

You might be able to use this to your advantage - I got out of a speeding ticket when I went to court and found out the officer (a) didn't show up and (b) marked the wrong speed for the zone we were in. Even a single, slight inaccuracy can cause doubts about the accuracy of the rest of the report, and you having video of the incident works in your favor too.

What? The PR is in his favor. You can't just throw out the narrative because of an inaccuracy, and beside, you wouldn't want to here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xzzy posted:

It's not the rates that are a cause for concern. It's what happens when you make a claim.

True, but I have had very pleasant experiences with State Farm claims, knock on wood.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The insurance company is being a dick because either A: They think they are right or B: They think you will just cave in eventually and go away. The best way to find out if it's B is to ask them the correct address to send the court documents for the claim against them. If they don't think they are in the right they will pay up.

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

wayfinder posted:

A:

lmao my mom used to tell us that the turtles/bumps in the center divider lanes on the road so that blind people could drive by braille....that guy could use some of those.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Someone parked with their hazards on and just walked away without noticing. Were there when I went for groceries and were there 20 minutes later when I left. It's night, how can you fail to notice that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

sleepy.eyes posted:

Someone parked with their hazards on and just walked away without noticing. Were there when I went for groceries and were there 20 minutes later when I left. It's night, how can you fail to notice that?

Strange if it was in a parking spot, normal if it was in the fire lane right in front of the doors. A lot of people around me have an entitlement complex where if they're only going to pick up a few things, it's okay to park right at the door.