Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

Maybe I missed something during the binge, but was it ever revealed who killed Reyes? E 10 or 11

They didn't spell it out, but there were only 2 factions and only one used automatic weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

RareAcumen posted:

General Season 2 character musings. I didn't really care for Electra when she showed up because I have no idea who she is or what her deal was. Like how she learned how to be an incredible fighter and all that. All I knew was that her showing up out of nowhere with Matt not realizing she was in his house for like a full minute and half had to be significant somehow. And then she brought him to the house of the dude who was involved in his dad being murdered and all I could think is 'What the gently caress- Is she getting turned on by all this? I mean breaking into someone's house and drinking their whiskey and stuff is one thing but now literally murder a man seems like an enormous leap from there.' I was really relieved when she stayed kinda at arms length from Matt romantically though because holy poo poo she's absolutely insane.

The whole kill the guy who killed Matt's dad was in the past after they first met, and was the last time they saw each other until Elektra showed up in his apartment

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ego-bot posted:

Maybe I missed something during the binge, but was it ever revealed who killed Reyes? E 10 or 11

Yes. It was the Blacksmith framing Frank, and then drawing him to the docks where he wanted to ambush and kill him.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The biggest recurring theme of these Marvel Netflix shows is that the supporting cast / villains outshine the heroes with their performances.

Murdock just seems to fade into the background but all the ancillary characters take center stage and shine. Just like with Kilgrave / Luke / Patsy.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Finished season 2.

The Punisher stuff was amazing, but everything involving the Hand just lost me. Mainly because they kept calling Elektra the Black Sky but failed to even say what the gently caress that means. In their attempt to be mystical and overhanded with the destiny stuff, they've failed to state what importance the Black Sky even holds. No explanation as to why a group of teenagers would willingly join with the Hand to sell their life away, no explanation as to how Nobu kept on reviving, just nothing.

That's the worst of it, but then there's also the fact that we have no resolution with the Blacksmith. Frank just mindlessly murders everyone connected to what happened to his family, but we get no hint as to who is behind it all. I'm assuming we will get a season 3 to elaborate on it, but the lack of conclusive resolution really pisses me off. The last episode may as well just be a giant cliffhanger tease for season 3, as opposed to an actual season ending.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Uh, dude (late S2 spoiler) Clancy Brown WAS the Blacksmith

Great season. I thought Karen was easily the standout character of the season. She wanted to redeem the Punisher in some way, whatever way she could because she feels guilt - for Wesley (which I assume is where she got the gun) and for whatever happened with her brother. Much of the season is her quest to be happy and normal while also to justify whatever it is she's done in the past.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lotus circle posted:

Finished season 2.

That's the worst of it, but then there's also the fact that we have no resolution with the Blacksmith. Frank just mindlessly murders everyone connected to what happened to his family, but we get no hint as to who is behind it all. I'm assuming we will get a season 3 to elaborate on it, but the lack of conclusive resolution really pisses me off. The last episode may as well just be a giant cliffhanger tease for season 3, as opposed to an actual season ending.

Uhh... you might want to go back and rewatch the last few episodes.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Codependent Poster posted:

Uhh... you might want to go back and rewatch the last few episodes.
So what is Blacksmith supposed to be the Clancy Brown character then?

EDIT: So I guess he was but man I guess I must have just been tuning out so much at that point cause I didn't really catch that. I thought he was just another guy who was in on it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lotus circle posted:

So what is Blacksmith supposed to be the Clancy Brown character then?

Yes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Little Mac posted:

Great season. I thought Karen was easily the standout character of the season. She wanted to redeem the Punisher in some way, whatever way she could because she feels guilt - for Wesley (which I assume is where she got the gun) and for whatever happened with her brother. Much of the season is her quest to be happy and normal while also to justify whatever it is she's done in the past.

Nah, she threw Wesley's gun into the river. She went out and bought her own some time between seasons.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just finished watching it and i really enjoyed this season as well. Though that the Black Sky stuff was the most comic book stuff they've done but it wasn't bad.

I thought The Punisher was really well done, Jon Bernthal did a really good job. He had some good stuff to work with and really made the most of it. Karen was really good to they gave her a lot to do and she felt like she had a lot of presence throughout the series. Wasn't such a fan of Elektra, I didn't think she was bad but I guess her characterisation wasn't so great to me. I loved Roxxon being in there as well.

I'm glad they wove stuff from season 1 into it with Fisk being really good again even though his part was condensed into a few episodes. And I thought having Hogarth offer Foggy a job was a really good way to further connect the series to Jessica Jones.

EDIT: Everyone watched the Luke Cage trailer? Didn't realise it was going to be out this year.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 20, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Just finished this up. I'm echoing other people when I say that the Punisher parts were the highlight of the season, and the Elektra/Ninja stuff kinda fell flat. I actually enjoyed it when it was Matt being the reluctant ally to Elektra because hey something worse is on the loose but after she leaves and almost gets killed by the french dude it just sort of drags on.

I was honestly surprised that the DA really didn't have much to do with the overarching plot at all. I mean yeah she covered up a crime but she wasn't in league with anyone. She was corrupt but not dirty. I thought where they were going with the sting operation is that she ordered the undercover cop to open fire, but nothing really came out of it.

Overall it kinda feels like the mystical stuff is more of an order from on-high for their crossover material and the Punisher stuff was their original/main idea for the season.

Oh also I thought the Black Sky was something different in Season 1? Like there was definitely a kid named "Black Sky" they had earlier that they delivered by train. They said finding another one would be hard, but it feels like they retconned it so Elektra is the one Black Sky.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
My favorite thing in this forum is when goons complain about plot holes when it turns out they just don't know how to pay attention to what they're watching

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

computer parts posted:

Just finished this up. I'm echoing other people when I say that the Punisher parts were the highlight of the season, and the Elektra/Ninja stuff kinda fell flat. I actually enjoyed it when it was Matt being the reluctant ally to Elektra because hey something worse is on the loose but after she leaves and almost gets killed by the french dude it just sort of drags on.

I was honestly surprised that the DA really didn't have much to do with the overarching plot at all. I mean yeah she covered up a crime but she wasn't in league with anyone. She was corrupt but not dirty. I thought where they were going with the sting operation is that she ordered the undercover cop to open fire, but nothing really came out of it.

Overall it kinda feels like the mystical stuff is more of an order from on-high for their crossover material and the Punisher stuff was their original/main idea for the season.

Oh also I thought the Black Sky was something different in Season 1? Like there was definitely a kid named "Black Sky" they had earlier that they delivered by train. They said finding another one would be hard, but it feels like they retconned it so Elektra is the one Black Sky.

The DA ordered the DNR on Castle. She was dirty as they come.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Little Mac posted:

The DA ordered the DNR on Castle. She was dirty as they come.

Yeah but I meant that was in her own self-interest. She wasn't ordered by the ninjas or Clancy Brown or anyone to do it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Speaking of: s02e06:
When Matt gets into Elektra's car he has a shirt with a button-down colour, he then takes another shirt off and puts a third on.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
She also (DA stuff) chose not to evac civilians, aka the Castles, before her sting in at the carousel.

Even with that in mind though, in retrospect, I don't think she was exactly the type of "scum" that Frank would have bothered to kill, which makes sense with the fact that the Colonel ended up killing her and trying to frame Frank for it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

henkman posted:

My favorite thing in this forum is when goons complain about plot holes when it turns out they just don't know how to pay attention to what they're watching
Full season 2 spoilers.
My defense is that conspiracy was beyond convoluted. The DA, the gangs, the army, so and so forth. It was just over-stuffed and I didn't feel like they made anything clear with the Blacksmith stuff when the Clancy Brown guy just kept yelling about their army days while Frank decided to murder him. I'm guessing at the end of the day, Frank was just in the wrong place at the wrong time with his family, because there doesn't seem to be much hint that he was set up. That or the Clancy Brown guy decided to take him down because Frank wasn't as loyal as he thought? Whatever, it's honestly too much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lotus circle posted:

Full season 2 spoilers.
My defense is that conspiracy was beyond convoluted. The DA, the gangs, the army, so and so forth. It was just over-stuffed and I didn't feel like they made anything clear with the Blacksmith stuff when the Clancy Brown guy just kept yelling about their army days while Frank decided to murder him. I'm guessing at the end of the day, Frank was just in the wrong place at the wrong time with his family, because there doesn't seem to be much hint that he was set up. That or the Clancy Brown guy decided to take him down because Frank wasn't as loyal as he thought? Whatever, it's honestly too much.

It's just because of the way things shook out out of order. The Blacksmith organized a huge deal, but found out about the undercover officer and scuttled it instead (and somehow he knew Frank was nearby and wanted him killed.) A shootout broke out, which the DA covered up because the circumstances would be a career killer.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
My impression of this thread: "why wont the blonde bombshell date the obese goon :stwoon:"

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
This season could have used a few more episodes to better flesh out the concluding arcs of both storylines, especially Frank Castle's storyline with the Blacksmith's organization. That in particular felt incredibly rushed and thinly plotted.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

My impression of this thread: "why wont the blonde bombshell date the obese goon :stwoon:"
They did, didn't they?

(Marci was great this season.)

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 20, 2016

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Aphrodite posted:

It's just because of the way things shook out out of order. The Blacksmith organized a huge deal, but found out about the undercover officer and scuttled it instead (and somehow he knew Frank was nearby and wanted him killed.) A shootout broke out, which the DA covered up because the circumstances would be a career killer.

My take on it is that Frank might have known, Blacksmith might have offered him a job or something, like he did with the guy in the picture, Frank said no, and so Blacksmith set up the deal with the three gangs without any intention of actually being there, specifically to catch Frank in the crossfire -knowing that Frank takes his family there certain days of the month- that he was actually there and is the guy who shot Frank in the head execution style. That the DA was involved is just coincidence as to why his people weren't there.

I say this because from the story in court, he already knows how hard it is to kill Frank, and he wanted to be sure

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just finished and loved it all.

Can't wait for the next series

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lotus circle posted:

Full season 2 spoilers.

Frank was the target of that shootout all along. And it's heavily implied by his talk at the end with Blacksmith it's because Frank didn't join up with him after the war. Blacksmith chose the place for the deal because he knew that's where Frank took his family. It probably went south because of one of his men. Frank was targeted with a shot to his head. Frank realized who Blacksmith was at the docks when one of his former war buddies called out "Long time no see, Frank!" That's the same guy Karen saw in the photo who was getting put into a body bag at the docks. The DA tried to cover it up because she had an undercover there and could have saved the civilians but didn't, and didn't want any of that falling back on her, which is why she erased evidence of Frank and his family being there, and put the DNR on him.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Mars4523 posted:

This season could have used a few more episodes to better flesh out the concluding arcs of both storylines, especially Frank Castle's storyline with the Blacksmith's organization. That in particular felt incredibly rushed and thinly plotted.

I think they left that open in case they decide to make a punisher series.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

lotus circle posted:

Finished season 2.

The Punisher stuff was amazing, but everything involving the Hand just lost me. Mainly because they kept calling Elektra the Black Sky but failed to even say what the gently caress that means. In their attempt to be mystical and overhanded with the destiny stuff, they've failed to state what importance the Black Sky even holds. No explanation as to why a group of teenagers would willingly join with the Hand to sell their life away, no explanation as to how Nobu kept on reviving, just nothing.

They were pretty clear on it. There was a whole Stick monologue and it was a running thread through Elektra and Matt's relationship where he is the light and she is the dark.

The Hand worship a being they call Black Sky, who is some manner of evil demony thing. They've been searching for the Black Sky for centuries but have never found Black Sky. In the ancient days when they took over most of Asia they stumbled on the secret of immortality. This is first referenced as coming back from the dead when Stick tells Matt that Christianity is based on someone doing that. Later Nobu comes back despite being dead in Season 1. Then it's revealed that Matt has trouble sensing Hand ninjas unlike normal people. Later we see both Nobu come back from further deaths and that Hand ninjas were previously dead and have been brought back. For instance they go to do an autopsy on one and he already has an autopsy Y incision scar.

Matt discounts all the magic stuff as bullshit, just as he thinks Madam Gao is a normal old drug kingpin instead of a magic ancient lady. However we have known since season 1 that there's magic poo poo afoot. Elektra is aware of all the legends about the Hand and is trying to figure out if she should give in to her evil nature or fight it with Matt.

Elektra being full of darkness was super blatantly laid out. Like entire conversations about evil/darkness/bad being her core while Matt is light and instead of corrupting him he corrupted her. Also constantly tempting Matt to do bad while getting pleasure from killing.

As for the kids, they've been hopped up on evil magic juice for months and have been incubating some sort of organic evil while being drained of their blood. Their drained blood is literally boiling and foul smelling. If they aren't already dead and brought back via Hand sorcery they've been possessed by evil and follow the will of the Hand.

The Hand are literally servants of demons/the devil with a prophesied figure who will lead them to world domination. They are opposed by a Catholic as gently caress dude who is said to be in possession of an inner light that he lets shine every where he goes all through the night. They're far more in keeping with the overall theme of Daredevil than the Punisher.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
These netflix rules are kinda silly it's annoying having to mouse over every single post in the thread so a precious few can read like a single uncensored post per page.

Just binge the entire show in a single night like a normal person.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Were these Yakuza bikers seriously listening to Yeah Yeah Yeahs... Pfft

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Full Season 2 info

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Aside from Foggy already having a blonde bombshell, he and Karen have better romantic chemistry than her and Matt. It would have been better to not go and set her up with either guy, but the Matt thing was just a long set up for an inevitable "Oh no, this isn't what it looks like" misunderstanding. Also bad things happen to every woman Matt Murdoch sticks his dick in and I think enough bad things have happened to Karen.

Codependent Poster posted:

Frank was the target of that shootout all along. And it's heavily implied by his talk at the end with Blacksmith it's because Frank didn't join up with him after the war. Blacksmith chose the place for the deal because he knew that's where Frank took his family. It probably went south because of one of his men. Frank was targeted with a shot to his head. Frank realized who Blacksmith was at the docks when one of his former war buddies called out "Long time no see, Frank!" That's the same guy Karen saw in the photo who was getting put into a body bag at the docks. The DA tried to cover it up because she had an undercover there and could have saved the civilians but didn't, and didn't want any of that falling back on her, which is why she erased evidence of Frank and his family being there, and put the DNR on him.

Colonel Clancy Brown does say it ties into what happened in Afghanistan, which makes sense what with him being a huge Heroin dealer and all. Which is probably something that would be covered in a future Punisher series. The only real hole in the Blacksmith plot is that the former Marine drug ring knew exactly how giant a badass Frank was and decided to go about things in the way most likely to bring down his full unholy wrath on their sorry asses. Ok, killing Frank himself totally makes sense. Killing his family too is just asking for a karmic reaming.

bring back old gbs posted:

These netflix rules are kinda silly it's annoying having to mouse over every single post in the thread so a precious few can read like a single uncensored post per page.

It's only for a couple days and then there's no spoilers. Netflix spoiler rules are about the only ones that make sense to me, but then I don't really care much about spoilers personally.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

After an stressful day at work, I'm finally getting in to the series. So far, still in episode 8. My many thoughts:

-Punisher is so loving brutal, I like him!
-I saw a guy getting his face blown in a Marvel series. drat.
-Stairways fight felt a bit too long, but it was nice. Seeing Daredevil exhausted at the end was great.
-Frank talking about returning from war and seeing his family die made me cry. Like very hard.
-I hate DA lady. gently caress her.
-Karen and Matt's love scenes were so cute. :3:
- Elektra is crazy.
-NINJAS OUT OF SUDDEN.
- BLIND NINJA MASTER OUT OF SUDDEN.
-WE ALL LOVE FOGGY. :love:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Heathen posted:

I finished Season Two yesterday, but then immediately went to bed. Spoilers are for the entirety of Season Two.

I have three gripes with the Punisher 1) the guy shot up a hospital full of innocent people. The writers try to handwave the hospital scene by saying nobody was hurt and if he wanted Karen dead she would be. Bullshit. This highly trained military man knew how to find Grotto and could've easily waited until a better opportunity. Even if nobody was injured there were still people in those corridors and a lot of unnecessary property damage done to the hospital. At this point in the story he had remained a mystery to everyone while taking out large numbers of organized criminals, but he's just going to waltz into a hosptial guns blazin' for one guy?

2) he hung the Mexican Cartel on meat hooks. That's not punishment or vengeance or justice or any other term vigilantes would use to justify their actions. That's just sadism. Every other instance he either shoots his victims in cold blood, or interrogates them first and then shoots them. The Punisher didn't torture anyone else or make an elaborate spectacle over their deaths so why the Cartel?

I get that some people like the Punisher because he is a Bad Man that does Bad Things to Worse People, but much like the first gripe I think the writer was trying too hard.

3) after being such an important part of the story for the first four episodes he did gently caress all at the end. He deserved a much larger role in the last few episodes. They should've found a way to tie him into the main story versus the Hand.

That said I would love to see a Punisher Netflix. Bernthal did a wonderful job. The word choice, the delivery, just everything. He sold the Punisher well as a mean bastard that is completely broken, but still functions.

There is a point in episode 11 where Frank is placed in a similar environment as when he killed the Mexican cartel. In fact, his victim goes so far as to say "it's like a candy shop in here", and he has every expectation that he is about to be expertly tortured. And yet, the Punisher makes a very different, although not merciful choice. We see his evolution as a character during the season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

bring back old gbs posted:

That was the original rule and lots of people complained. There's no way to make everyone happy, so the first weekend thing is the compromise.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone else think it's weird that Matt uses an iPhone? Seems like he'd want something with physical buttons.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

10 Beers posted:

Anyone else think it's weird that Matt uses an iPhone? Seems like he'd want something with physical buttons.

It's some kind of Android phone. Smartphones also have apps that are useful for the visually impaired, stuff that identifies things for blind people through the phone camera. It actually comes up a little in the comic.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
DD ending of season 2 question

how much Kingpin know about the Hand's goals? Does he also know that the Chinese Lady is mystical or whatever? In season 1 what was the deal with the chinese messengers who self blinded?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a lot of iPhone apps for blind people now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helical Nightmares posted:

DD ending of season 2 question

how much Kingpin know about the Hand's goals? Does he also know that the Chinese Lady is mystical or whatever? In season 1 what was the deal with the chinese messengers who self blinded?

At the end of Season 1, we find out Kingpin didn't even know the Chinese lady spoke English. So I'm guessing he doesn't really know that much.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

At the end of Season 1, we find out Kingpin didn't even know the Chinese lady spoke English. So I'm guessing he doesn't really know that much.

Yeah, he was simply working with them towards his own ends. He was giving the Hand/Yakuza what they wanted because that was their deal. Same thing with Madam Gao. I'm pretty sure extra dimensional magic kung fu cities and zombie ninjas don't actually fit into his plans.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
OH gently caress YES FISK IS BACK BABY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I'm up only to Ep. 4, but goddamn!

Anyone else notice in Ep. 3 that Matt copies almost word for word Rocket Raccoon's rant about "we all had people die on us, that isn't an excuse to behave like a maniac!"