Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
a pic of the new sniper rifle

dotdotdot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Actually, the pipeline has been flipped, so it's currently traveling back to the switch.

The pipeline and the switch are out of sync, so the pipeline is currently twitching while the switch slowly rotates counter-clockwise.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

dotdotdot

I hope you can see through walls with a scope that big.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

SomethingJones posted:

If Frontier were to leave one single promised feature from their next update, they would get hammered on their own forum and elsewhere. When CIG does it, nobody opens their mouth cos they'll get banned.

But of course, in Elite, it's a game and they have to deliver. In SC, it's an alpher :shrug: you just don't understand game development.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sunswipe posted:

I hope you can see through walls with a scope that big.

If anyone can handle an oversized scope, it's CIG.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Downloading the freeplay version right now. I hope it's a terrible as they say...

Also, I have good internet and their patches would still take me 3hrs to download?

really?

REALLY?

Well, the one thing from stopping me from dropping in and gooning up Port Olisar is that my internet is NOT that good, and it would take me the entire free fly period to download the software.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Scruffpuff posted:

:aaaaa:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

:boom:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

:iceburn:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

A Neurotic Jew posted:

dotdotdot

Everything about that screenshot is a mess.

Hang on though, are they mocapping all the fps animations and adding them in with these patches? Doesn't that stuff take YEARS? And they're doing this in CryEngine?

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

:vince:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Goddamn.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
They're mocapping all possible playthroughs of all the possible players of the final game (it's a short list).
When you hit a key, the game actually plays a prerecorded mocapped animation of you doing what you were intending to.

It's a new feature coming in 2.4.
Chris said yes.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff posted:

:drat:

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Sundowner posted:

there's something very unnerving about that. like he just became a meat singularity.

It looks like he was hit by the Dark Elf implosion grenade from Thor.

Eonwe posted:

In addition to multiplayer Pokemon, a lot of my childhood was spent wishing for a multiplayer Harvest Moon. Now as an adult I'll get to set up what is essentially a Harvest Moon multiplayer server....and I'm sure my mom will end up playing too. Some things never change I guess.
Eonwe did you marry your mom in Stardew Valley?

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

:bravo:

:lol:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Star Citizen: The ___ feature was not included in the ____ release

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Impeccable soundtrack choice, as always. Have you given planetary landings a go in VR?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

:vince:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq2rKOYr7Pc I've seen the new S42 advance video.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Star Citizen - Where the Alpha triples every second

In other news, looks like even RadiantFlux is sick of their poo poo. It seems 'balance by blinding' was a bridge too far and he even nuked his YT channel.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/322870/who-cares-about-space-anyway

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mechanism Eight posted:

Impeccable soundtrack choice, as always. Have you given planetary landings a go in VR?

Just done it for the first time just now.
I can't even put it into words, it's on another level from anything I have ever done in a game. I flew down to a moon and the terrain just kept coming, I aimed for a small crater and eventually flew the width of it and it took about 15 minutes to cross. The scale of this thing is immense.
I flew to the bottom of it and could no longer see the sky, what I thought was a small crater (and it was from afar compared to the ones around it) had slopes the size of Everest.
I will upload a vid, it is impossible to do it justice though.

Edit: It didn't record :(

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 20, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Thoatse posted:

In other news, looks like even RadiantFlux is sick of their poo poo. It seems 'balance by blinding' was a bridge too far and he even nuked his YT channel.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/322870/who-cares-about-space-anyway

I felt a great disturbance in the Farce, as if millions of dollars suddenly parped out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

I. That. What.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Scruffpuff posted:

:jiggled:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel posted:

I can't even put it into words, it's on another level from anything I have ever done in a game. I flew down to a moon and the terrain just kept coming, I aimed for a small crater and eventually flew the width of it and it took about 15 minutes to cross. The scale of this thing is immense.
I flew to the bottom of it and could no longer see the sky, what I thought was a small crater (and it was from afar compared to the ones around it) had slopes the size of Everest.

Always record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-q5_UezjXo

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Thoatse posted:

Star Citizen - Where the Alpha triples every second

Back in the early PC days, the "sim" genre commonly reduced your view to "simulate" the view from inside a cockpit, car, etc. You'd have limited visibility through the windshield, see your steering wheel turn, etc. But the primary reason for all that poo poo was to reduce the area that the PC had to create animation in. If you only have to draw the action in a tiny window the fraction of the size of the monitor, you can squeeze out more performance. Nowadays, with fully 3D environments, this 2D rendering performance trick has become irrelevant. So restricting your view to create "immersion" is an autist's approach.

The reason is something I've mentioned more than once ITT, but I'll mention it again for any recent members who don't want to read a lifetime of posts. The human brain edits out information it doesn't need. It's why people who wear glasses don't see the frames around their vision after a few days of first getting them. It's why the extraordinarily restrictive view of a motorcycle helmet becomes completely irrelevant once you subconsciously move your head around more often to compensate. It's why when you go from driving a big truck, or a Jeep, for a few years, then sit in a sports car, you feel blind as gently caress - but only for a little while. After a few days, a million little subconscious adjustments restores your view to normal, and you don't even notice it any more. Little things like moving your face closer to the window, or leaning to one side when checking the blind spot, etc. Humans do this naturally.

In a game, this is impossible. You can't lean in closer, or crane your neck around, or do any natural movement to restore your view. These cockpit views do not in any way take into account human physiology - it's no different than taping cardboard cutouts to your monitor. They're an obstruction, and nothing more.

The proof in the pudding is Elite: Dangerous when experienced in VR. Once all those natural movements are usable in the game, suddenly the sense of visibility and scale explodes. Something SC can never have due to "immersion" factors.

There is literally no limit to how many different ways Chris Roberts has royally hosed up this game.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

The human brain edits out information it doesn't need.

Curiously, SC backers' brains edit out information they need as well.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

orcinus posted:

:laffo:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

orcinus posted:

Hmmm, let's see what happens when we filter a Q&A...

SomethingJones posted:

From Bensday with Batgirl & Ben episode 46
Mar 16, 2016 @ 15:11

Q: Is what's going on with Squadron 42 separate from what Tony Z and his crew are doing, or are they being pulled into that area too, to design and develop for Squadron 42?

A: SQUADRON IMPLEMENTATION DEVELOPMENT SINGLE PLAYER HUGE HUGE SQUADRON 42

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

orcinus posted:

You understand nothing about brain development!

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Star Citizen is a lot like Bernie Sanders' campaign, makes u think

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

You're making my desire to get a Vive, go up substantially. Darn you and your amazing videos :pgabz:

e; Holy poo poo this thread has over 5m views.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hobold posted:

You're making my desire to get a Vive, go up substantially. Darn you and your amazing videos :pgabz:

e; Holy poo poo this thread has over 5m views.

I am sucker for ED in VR, I do try not to bang on about it too much but it is really cool

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

:airquote: :a2m: :airquote:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

I am sucker for ED in VR, I do try not to bang on about it too much but it is really cool

After playing ED in VR only, since beta days, then lending my Oculus Rift to someone, i haven't touched ED at all. For months.
Not to say ED is bad without VR, but it's so much more fluid, playable and usable with it that it completely sours playing it on a monitor.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

orcinus posted:

After playing ED in VR only since beta days, then lending my Oculus Rift to someone, i haven't touched ED at all. For months.
Not to say ED is bad without VR, but it's so much more fluid, playable and usable with it that it completely sours playing it on a monitor.

I find it pretty meh without VR, they just fixed it so that is why I am playing more.
I'd even go as far to say I don't enjoy it that much, it is a massive difference to me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
In other news, I also did this tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcJ2m4p9UlM

Was fun, another SC free night for me, this is a worrying trend

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I find it pretty meh without VR, they just fixed it so that is why I am playing more.
I'd even go as far to say I don't enjoy it that much, it is a massive difference to me.

I REALLY want a vive but; 800 bucks.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Astroniomix posted:

I REALLY want a vive but; 800 bucks.

Yeah
:negative:

I mean I am weapons grade idiot so I will get one but I am in no real rush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

In other news, I also did this tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcJ2m4p9UlM

Was fun, another SC free night for me, this is a worrying trend

I'm sure this technology already exists at CIG and is just waiting to be turned on in the next patch.

• Locked thread