Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

be nice wicka posted:

silverstone is probably the most overrated sports venue in the world

I don't have enough knowledge about other venues, but it is an absolutely snooze of a race track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Good.. this explains a lot about shiity Pharma http://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...er-9047437.html

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

In my manic late night googling looking for trap speeds in Melbourne, I failed. Anyone got a handy link for who the slowest fuckers are?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Contact the Victorian police. The fuckers can't help themselves

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Terminus Est posted:

In my manic late night googling looking for trap speeds in Melbourne, I failed. Anyone got a handy link for who the slowest fuckers are?

http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-one-world-championship/season-2016/event-timing-information-5

Go hog wild

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I need this race to be good

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Me too. I can't believe I'm staying up to watch it

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Hopefully:

The new start/clutch rules will create far less predictable starts and it won't be a Merc 1-2 after the first corner
The warmer temps help Ferrari switch on the tyres
The new radio rules end the 'death by spreadsheet' over-optimised races problem and we some real differences in how well different drivers manage their races.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

none of these new rules will change anything positively because they are all half-assed attempts at fixing a problem no one genuinely wants to fix

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

the only thing that needs fixing is getting rid of hybrid engines, I want V8 - V10 - V12 glory. And the new qualifying format fails to excite me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Fat Jesus posted:

the only thing that needs fixing is getting rid of hybrid engines, I want V8 - V10 - V12 glory. And the new qualifying format fails to excite me.

Wrong

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fat Jesus posted:

i will never understand a thought process so obviously wrong as this

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

darth cookie posted:

:vince:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

darth cookie posted:

Honestly wouldn't suprise me if they did.

Any other goons in GA today?

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

So, some people like a quieter, greener, slower F1 with a dose of RNG?
as in they prefer this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-vVrH37Bq0

to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTbXc4_H4Cc

?

also for non-australians not watching the day-long telecast, they're talking about how all the team principals are having a meeting now to demand CHANGES be made. what the changes they want made isn't known.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

i will never understand a thought process so obviously wrong as this

Motorsport is based on spectacle. That is why people watch.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Bring back the Glen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18NUC7-TPe8

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Norns posted:

Verstappen will save us.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Motorsport is based on spectacle. That is why people watch.

they can't watch what doesn't exist

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

honestly dude i know for a fact you are not that stupid. f1 is a backwater, irrelevant racing series if it moves backward and re-adopts V8/10/12s. it's just loving obvious. no one invests money into that any more. period. not happening.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Eeeeh. Sure its a pipe dream to think that the engine manufacturers would turn around and go "gently caress it, lets make some v12 thunderers and be damned with the cost, we're going to make the craziest motherfucking spectacle on Earth." But its nice to hope. Sure its unlikely as hell that that sort of thing can happen, but then consider that the America's cup exists.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

darth cookie posted:

but then consider that the America's cup exists.

a comically niche sailing race supported exclusively by crazy billionaires is relevant to this discussion how?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123362/qualifying-to-revert-to-old-format

Quali reverting to last year's system from Bahrain onwards. I'm surprised they went with this and didn't come up with any dumb ways to "improve" the knockout system.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

a comically niche sailing race supported exclusively by crazy billionaires is relevant to this discussion how?

I was kind of alluding to the possibility of F1 becoming a car racing series supported by crazy billionaires, which might be the way F1 can be a nuts series with engines that have no road relevance development requirement. I'm not saying that it will happen, just that its one conceivable way that F1 becomes the mad fantasy series some people want. :shrug:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Well that was quick.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

darth cookie posted:

I was kind of alluding to the possibility of F1 becoming a car racing series supported by crazy billionaires, which might be the way F1 can be a nuts series with engines that have no road relevance development requirement. I'm not saying that it will happen, just that its one conceivable way that F1 becomes the mad fantasy series some people want. :shrug:

i don't think a series that most people don't know exists is what those people envision when they suggest going back to V12s. i think that, for the most part, they are naive and do not understand the reasons why we've moved beyond such engines. nor do i think most of them ever even watched the F1 they fondly "remember," much like how idiots hold the early 00s in such high praise because they look back on how fast the cars were, despite that being one of the worst ever eras of F1.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

So if you think F1 should move with the times and adopt tech that will be applied to cars in the future you won't have trouble with them eventually getting rid of drivers, right?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fat Jesus posted:

So if you think F1 should move with the times and adopt tech that will be applied to cars in the future you won't have trouble with them eventually getting rid of drivers, right?

good post, Intentionally Obtuse Guy

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

be nice wicka posted:

i don't think a series that most people don't know exists is what those people envision when they suggest going back to V12s. i think that, for the most part, they are naive and do not understand the reasons why we've moved beyond such engines. nor do i think most of them ever even watched the F1 they fondly "remember," much like how idiots hold the early 00s in such high praise because they look back on how fast the cars were, despite that being one of the worst ever eras of F1.

the only reason why this engine format was even adopted was due to renault thinking they could be even more dominant if the rules went towards their past expertise

also, NA engines can exist together with the turbocharged cars

Triple A fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 20, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

the only reason why this engine format was even adopted was due to renault thinking they could be even more dominant if the rules went towards their past expertise

lol no, it was adopted because ALL of the engine manufacturers wanted it because they knew it was the only way to justify their long-term involvement to their boards. and seeing honda rejoin and renault double down should prove they were right.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

also, NA engines can exist together with the turbocharged cars

they can, except that non-turbo, non-hybrid engines are inherently simpler and cheaper than the current power units, so a formula that allows both to compete undermines the investment all of the car manufacturers have made in the sport

this isn't rocket science. stop trying to work backwards from your poo poo opinions and just look at the drat facts.

wicka fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 20, 2016

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
allowing backmarkers and midfield to use cheaper and less complex engines is somehow undermining this sport? also, if you are so concerned about it undermining it go increase the amount of fuel the turbo spec can use by a little bit and re-allow for straight 4 configs as well

thus, you get more peak power for the turbo cars and allow the financially strapped teams to save costs all while appeasing the whiners about noise

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

allowing backmarkers and midfield to use cheaper and less complex engines is somehow undermining this sport? also, if you are so concerned about it undermining it go increase the amount of fuel the turbo spec can use by a little bit and re-allow for straight 4 configs as well

thus, you get more peak power for the turbo cars and allow the financially strapped teams to save costs all while appeasing the whiners about noise

Explain to me what confused you about my post.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Happy 3:30am fellow brits.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

be nice wicka posted:

Explain to me what confused you about my post.

are you Jean Todt by any chance?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sort of sad that they are already abandoning the qualifying change because the first session was pretty fun imo and I was enjoying figuring out which teams didn't actually read the rules and/or were not able to perform basic math.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Triple A posted:

are you Jean Todt by any chance?

Seriously, what didn't you understand? F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport. Being the best requires money. Right now, most of that money is provided by car manufacturers. They are here because of an engine formula THEY wanted. You allow a cheap engine formula that competes with them directly, they leave, where does the money come from?

THIS is what I'm loving talking about, dude. You people haven't taken one motherfucking second to wrap your heads around The Real World In Which We All Live. You just want loud engines and consequently bend over backwards trying to create stupid loving justifications for bringing your big vroom vroom noises back. Grow up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sky. Has.Started. Broadcasting. Live. :D

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wicka you are arguing with someone who twice used the phrase "greenwashing" in all seriousness. Old Russian saying "arguing with him is like teaching pig to dance, it frustrates you and annoys pig"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Wicka you are arguing with someone who twice used the phrase "greenwashing" in all seriousness. Old Russian saying "arguing with him is like teaching pig to dance, it frustrates you and annoys pig"

ain't nothing in the rule book says a pig can't dance

• Locked thread