Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Not keeping up with all the stuff, but what harassment was she getting? Botania is one of the better mods out there.

people freaked the gently caress out when vazkii made passive flowers like dayblooms decay after three days, and removed the option to turn decay off

someone even forked Botania (it's open source) to put the stupid bullshit back in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

Not keeping up with all the stuff, but what harassment was she getting? Botania is one of the better mods out there.

AFAIK, from the twitter rants I've seen, it wasn't actually harassment. Vazkii has a very hard time taking criticism and takes things like "____ is overpowered, nerf it!" or "revert this change it's terrible and bad" as personal attacks and harassment. The straw that broke the camels back was the whole "passive decay" issue(if you follow botania updates you're probably familiar), the community didn't like it and Vazkii was stubborn, and instead of just being like "no" and then ignoring the complaints, she constantly engaged them and had like 30 twitter rants about it as well as gigantic blog posts trying to fight the horde. It was a futile endeavor and just escalated things on both sides. It's a shame cause Vazkii is a good dev with good game design sense as well as good technical ability, but c'est la vie.

It's certainly possible there was real harassment going on, but to the extent of my knowledge it was just constant fights with people who disagreed with design decisions.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
It's not like Vazkii's sitting idle anyway. Psi is her mod too and it's already had 4 releases for Minecraft 1.9.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Pff, i learnt to live with the passives decay, just meant you had to rush endoflames or find an overgrowth seed.

Psi? what is that? might have a look.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

psi is a mod where you need to know 10th grade math to use it but if you do then you can do cool stuff

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Psi is like an admin tool, but with tedium. You have to "level up" and then also be smart enough to do some weird pseudo-programming with math, but once you make some programs it's basically "do whatever the hell you want, for free, forever."

Gameplay wise, it really makes no sense to me. It doesn't really fit in with any mod, or within minecraft itself. A couple hours in and you can have flight, high jump, automated building, automated quarrying, crazy instagib weapons and other entity tools, invincibility... the list goes on. It's not something I would say is bad, it's certainly interesting and very unique, it's just... weird. It's like it doesn't have gameplay, to me.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

AFAIK, from the twitter rants I've seen, it wasn't actually harassment. Vazkii has a very hard time taking criticism and takes things like "____ is overpowered, nerf it!" or "revert this change it's terrible and bad" as personal attacks and harassment. The straw that broke the camels back was the whole "passive decay" issue(if you follow botania updates you're probably familiar), the community didn't like it and Vazkii was stubborn, and instead of just being like "no" and then ignoring the complaints, she constantly engaged them and had like 30 twitter rants about it as well as gigantic blog posts trying to fight the horde. It was a futile endeavor and just escalated things on both sides. It's a shame cause Vazkii is a good dev with good game design sense as well as good technical ability, but c'est la vie.

It's certainly possible there was real harassment going on, but to the extent of my knowledge it was just constant fights with people who disagreed with design decisions.

There was more than just that. In particular, there were a number of people who made very personal attacks both publicly on Reddit and privately to Vazkii, basically acting like complete assholes. I've spoken both to Vazkii and some people close to Vazkii on the subject. (Complete disclosure - I'm also part of Vazkii's official Botania server.)

The final straw that caused her to quit was fairly minor but she'd basically had enough by that point.

Glory of Arioch posted:

people freaked the gently caress out when vazkii made passive flowers like dayblooms decay after three days, and removed the option to turn decay off

someone even forked Botania (it's open source) to put the stupid bullshit back in

That was the big one, but people also would never shut up about not seeing the precise numbers, about the Excalibur being taken out, the changes to the Flugel Tiara/Eye of the Flugel... and some other things I can't recall off-hand. Basically, anything they saw as a "nerf" they flipped out over it.

Vib Rib posted:

Yes I just said earlier that TC5 is a big step up from 4 in a lot of ways, but while the research/vis plants aren't necessary, there's still a lot of stuff in Thaumic Bases that would probably be nice to have.

Anyway - I checked out Thaumic Bases for 1.8.9. The Primal Shroom is still there but I'm not actually sure what it does - it certainly spawns something when broken but I can't tell what it is and I can't tell if it's having an effect on the aura. Otherwise, there's a TON of stuff (more than I expected!), and seems to be fully functional outside of the Primal Shroom. The modder seriously needs an editor, though.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Pff, i learnt to live with the passives decay, just meant you had to rush endoflames or find an overgrowth seed.

Which, I mean, is what you're expressly supposed to do. Passives are baby generation, living off them is silly. It's not like it's difficult to make new flowers now that the mana petals were changed to mana dust either.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah but change is bad and taking away bad options is bad, according to those people. Those are the same people who would build a chunk filled with solar panels/heat generators/mass passive trickle power from IC2/Mekanism/etc. and get all confused when that sort of poo poo started lagging their tick rates.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

It's coming across like a lot of people here should've gotten into Paradox games, Magna Mundi and it's Carnival of Lust would've had a fanbase apparently.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Dayblooms and nightshades decaying makes sense. You make them and just slap them down near a spreader and that's it. You can make an Endoflame and let them decay and not have to bother cleaning up. Hydroangeas, on the other hand, require a not-insignificant amount of space. After they decay you have to clean that up or make more to put down where the old ones were. It's not good design. I would have been more comfortable with Hydroangeas being removed entirely or changed into a truly active flower, because they just don't work well as a decaying flower.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So guys, I know about closing the water/steam loop and just pumping in water, but I am trying to be more precise in a BFSR turbine guide so I do not perpetuate some cargo cult stuff. Like, for a small reactor, it may be quicker to start filling up tanks from an aqueous accumulator while building the turbine than making a pile of accumulators to try to do it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So guys, I know about closing the water/steam loop and just pumping in water, but I am trying to be more precise in a BFSR turbine guide so I do not perpetuate some cargo cult stuff. Like, for a small reactor, it may be quicker to start filling up tanks from an aqueous accumulator while building the turbine than making a pile of accumulators to try to do it.

Well what I did was generally make a closed-loop system and then add a second input to the reactor that was connected to an accumulator (or EIO reservoir or other water generation). That way you get a constant regular feed as the closed-loop system fills up. Might take a while to fill up/actually generate a decent chunk of power but generally one isn't overly worried about having power right now when setting up a turbine system, building a proper turbine generally means you've got a stable power source and are working on making excessive amounts of power.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I just finally decided to do a push against the hunger quest in NH and having finally made a slew of feasts I was rewarded with the Healing Axe, and now I never have to worry about food again because putting it in my hand for a few seconds maxes out my hunger and saturation for free.
Dumping out the chest of ingredients was super cathartic.

Serifina posted:

Anyway - I checked out Thaumic Bases for 1.8.9. The Primal Shroom is still there but I'm not actually sure what it does - it certainly spawns something when broken but I can't tell what it is and I can't tell if it's having an effect on the aura. Otherwise, there's a TON of stuff (more than I expected!), and seems to be fully functional outside of the Primal Shroom. The modder seriously needs an editor, though.
Yeah, definitely English as a second language, but they do a good job getting their point across at least. Some of the stuff there is pretty cool and I'll be keeping an eye on it. Let me know what else you find re: compatibility and features.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I've been working on that ever since I knew it was a thing. Those feasts fortunately can be found in certain loot tables so if you feel like exploring, you can knock them out that way instead of cooking them up yourself.

Mind I cheated the water gardens after finding the rest because I did not find a single one of them even after extensive travel.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I guess, but it's only four buckets.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

I guess, but it's only four buckets.

I tried to experiment with this, and a 3x3x1 with liquid ender against the cardinal sides just kept gobbling up water nonstop. After I went through 112 buckets worth (using tanks), I just gave up counting. It looks like the reactor will somehow continue to gobble up external water even after it has enough to maintain a loop. On the other hand, it looks like 5 aqueous accumulators filled up a 3x3x3 of similar configuration within just a few seconds. The question is whether or not it just needs one to do reasonably quickly. I can't figure out what all I need to reset with the reactor to find out the exact numbers. At this point, I'm going to just perpetuate the cargo cult message of "set up some aqueous accumulators and just be done with it."

I have to commit here since I'm trying to make a picture guide, and they gets tedious to revise.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sage Grimm posted:

I've been working on that ever since I knew it was a thing. Those feasts fortunately can be found in certain loot tables so if you feel like exploring, you can knock them out that way instead of cooking them up yourself.

Mind I cheated the water gardens after finding the rest because I did not find a single one of them even after extensive travel.
I cheated in water gardens and the Rainbow Curry, whose recipe is apparently broken because it depends on the WEEE flower mod or whatever, which is not in the pack anymore.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So uh, haha. Gregtech sure is something. If you Electrolyze silicon dioxide, you get "oxygen gas" which is 0 degrees Kelvin somehow. This does not properly work in wooden pipes despite being touted as a fluid. The pipes don't break, you just get a hissing noise and the gas doesn't go anywhere, or evaporates in the pipes, or something. (looking into it, apparently the pipes leak out gas in general. Despite being waterproof.)

Also if you are anywhere near the pipes you die almost instantly from the cold.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 20, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, don't move gases in wood pipes. That doesn't seem to work so well. Pretty funny it's listed as 0 kelvin though.

I appreciate that this pack lets you "upgrade" wands by putting better caps on them. I almost wish this was a thing in regular Thaumcraft. I just wish you didn't need to have a second wand to leapfrog with, in order to pay the vis cost of the next tier.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

"Solar Panels and passive flowers are stupid and bad"

*plays gregtech*

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I'm not following. :confused:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I was one of the peoples that had a solar panel factory running on solar power. It was super cool.

I also like big fields of passive flowers filling up some mana pools and so i thought disabling them and nerfing them was a lovely thing to do. :shrug:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Taffer posted:

Coming soon... :getin:

this is not going to be a mod i'm just gonna inject a little realism™ and tedium™ into BR

Thank you. It was way too easy to get a 3x3 reactor going for the amount of power you got out of it early on.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

CoreDuo posted:

Now you're thinking with GregTech™.

Reactor casings need Terrasteel which needs steel plates which needs a Railcraft rolling machine which needs a power source and a blast furnace to make steel. But wait, you need charcoal or coal coke to power the blast furnace and the regular recipe has been disabled so you need a coke oven too!

I'll stop talking now. :downs:

you forgot to add that Blast Furnaces need the Thaumcraft bellows or some form of oxygen supply to work...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Humans Among Us posted:

I was one of the peoples that had a solar panel factory running on solar power. It was super cool.

I also like big fields of passive flowers filling up some mana pools and so i thought disabling them and nerfing them was a lovely thing to do. :shrug:

that doesn't change that giant fields of passive flowers was still stupid and bad

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, definitely English as a second language, but they do a good job getting their point across at least. Some of the stuff there is pretty cool and I'll be keeping an eye on it. Let me know what else you find re: compatibility and features.

Yeah, I'm not holding it against him - it's very definite that he's trying and I give a lot of leeway for second language difficulties.

The resource crops are there (iron, gold, redstone, lapis, glowstone, dye). Also special resource-providing trees, tobacco, special crystal clusters you can break to add directly to the aura, a device to link the aura of two different locations directly, bracelets (low storage but fast refilling, meant for use with foci), a device to modify nodes, magical ukuleles (wtf?), spikes (iron/thaumium/void, similar to the ones from Extra Utilities), thaumium/void anvils, thaumium and void rod cores (not quite fitting to Thaumcraft in general but okay), a campfire and brazier (makes mobs flee), and an upgradable magical revolver. Oh and a device to let you increase enchantments one step further.

Most of the stuff is interesting and at least kind of unique, and some of it is useful (and some of them are seriously useful for skyblock worlds, and Sky Magic is still my main focus). The node modifier is a nice tool and helps give a reason to risk the flux to gather nodes. The tobacco and ukulele things I'm not as sold on (two different ways of giving buffs - tobacco is just for yourself and the ukulele is anyone nearby). The revolver I have no real feelings one way or another. The bracelets and wand cores have the wrong listed capacity in the book text, however (I don't think he's updated the text to TC5 amounts yet).

It's got enough good stuff that I'm going to include it in the modpack and I don't see any reason to refrain from using it. Also, Automagy has started updating to 1.8.9/TC5, with a first release this morning, and that's going to be going in, too - the redcrystal alone makes it a must-have for me (magical redstone wire).

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

that doesn't change that giant fields of passive flowers was still stupid and bad

I guess i'm just going to go ahead and respectfully disagree :P

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Humans Among Us posted:

I guess i'm just going to go ahead and respectfully disagree :P

The servers crying in pain from hundreds of tick updates to generate a tiny bit of flower-power disagrees with you, but not respectfully.

Honestly I think a fair middle ground would be to only make the day/night blooms degrade only if their mana was being drained. That way you could still use them artistically because everything Botania is pretty.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Alkydere posted:

Honestly I think a fair middle ground would be to only make the day/night blooms degrade only if their mana was being drained. That way you could still use them artistically because everything Botania is pretty.

If you huck a daybloom/nightshade into an alchemy catalyst having mana pool, it'll make a purely decorative version that does not decay.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

If you huck a daybloom/nightshade into an alchemy catalyst having mana pool, it'll make a purely decorative version that does not decay.

Ah, fair enough. I'm not a botania guy so I know it does some really nifty things while looking pretty as gently caress and without any loud noises/exploding machines.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Humans Among Us posted:

This mod is a good solution for solar panel lag http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=9335 . It adds stuff for low lag renewables.

On another note, is tedium in now? I've been going nuts trying to figure out how many intermediate parts can be removed, but if tons of intermediate steps are cool now, I can relax.

Question: is the big reactors mod pretty much essential for any tech-pack? It seems really cool but I'm more in favor of a minimalist approach (no more than 1 nuclear reactor, and so on) so I've been hesitant to throw tons of stuff in.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

mensrea posted:

This mod is a good solution for solar panel lag http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=9335 . It adds stuff for low lag renewables.

On another note, is tedium in now? I've been going nuts trying to figure out how many intermediate parts can be removed, but if tons of intermediate steps are cool now, I can relax.

Question: is the big reactors mod pretty much essential for any tech-pack? It seems really cool but I'm more in favor of a minimalist approach (no more than 1 nuclear reactor, and so on) so I've been hesitant to throw tons of stuff in.

Intermediate steps are dumb, but if the intermediate steps use things that are common to other recipes and are cheap and easy to craft themselves, then it's a lot less dumb. It also feels less dumb if the intermediate steps seem logical and/or required for the mod's recipes to be unique.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

mensrea posted:

Additional machine steps can be interesting, requiring a little more planning and tech sprawl in order to automate things (and incentivizing automation to avoid going through the steps manually), but just intermediate crafting steps? Nah. Sometimes you have to just to get the kinds of material quantity/type you want, but they should be minimized when possible, they don't add anything interesting.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

mensrea posted:

The issue with Big Reactors is that it's just better than every other power source, but if you can make it difficult to reach then it's a good pick.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Alternatively, cast out BR for AdvGen.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I've been very interested in Deep Resonance. The right amount of fiddly with a good range from easy small RF to very complicated high RF.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

playing the skymagic pack, and I got the dandelifeon automated :neckbeard:

Link to webm, gfycat cuts it off

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 21, 2016

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Glory of Arioch posted:

playing the skymagic pack, and I got the dandelifeon automated :neckbeard:

Link to webm, gfycat cuts it off

I didn't even know that was a flower. That's really impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

GregTech New Horizons reminder: check the worldgen config before spending hours searching for ore in the wrong dimension :shepicide:

(Contrary to the defaults I've been referring to on the FTB wiki, galena/lead is disabled in the overworld. It's also had the minimum height reduced so it's possible for it to generate in the Twilight Forest)