Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

xthnru posted:

So much for ever sleeping again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENTC-mAQ0tI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Volcott posted:

Good, maybe they'll find a less ethically inflexible buyer. I want killbots fighting our oil wars, drat it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-P1x0oDb8o

The worst thing about the Cold War ending was that we were denied a future in which giant robot fights determined international negotiations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Filthy Hans posted:

The worst thing about the Cold War ending was that we were denied a future in which giant robot fights determined international negotiations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

Maybe that future can still happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iofS5OJMewE

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 18, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

US nuclear weapon platforms.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I actually like FiveThirtyEight, but this poo poo is how I used to pad essays back in middle school. Jesus loving christ.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

I actually like FiveThirtyEight, but this poo poo is how I used to pad essays back in middle school. Jesus loving christ.

Only quoting because I took as a class on Fuzzy Logic last semester from a prominent...fuzzy logic professor... and it was dope as hell.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

yeah the mongolians were so nice, they only sacked your city and killed/raped everyone if you disobeyed and maybe if you looked at them wrong

or maybe they just wipe out your entire way of life because you had a lovely king

real cool dudes

That's exactly the point. Mongols were bad dudes, and American Prosperity Gospel has adopted the Mongol attitude towards the poor (before Kublai converted to Buddhism, called "idolatry" in Polo's text).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw in PYF:
http://i.imgur.com/0CIltih.webm

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

US nuclear weapon platforms.
Funny how poorly the planes are drawn, as if the artist only had blurry photos to work with. Also, how come they knew the names of the land-based missiles but not the Tridents. And that's a pretty ridiculous assumption about the Space Shuttle.

The illustration comes from a Soviet civil defense pamphlet from 1986:

The entire thing can be found here. For some reason, the delivery systems of other nuclear nations than the US were of no interest.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kopijeger posted:

And that's a pretty ridiculous assumption about the Space Shuttle.

Hence the Buran

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kopijeger posted:

And that's a pretty ridiculous assumption about the Space Shuttle.

its not that ridiculous - from the soviet cold war perspective, the shuttle makes a lot more rational sense as a stealth spaceplane bomber because what it was actually used for - a complicated, risky, not very efficient method of delivering small payloads at great cost into space - is pretty fuckin dumb. it clearly had some military applications just looking at it, and since you want to plan for the worst, like a sudden stealth strike on moscow, it gets incorporated into america's nuclear arsenal (also justifies building one of the things yourself)

http://idlewords.com/2005/08/a_rocket_to_nowhere.htm

quote:

Future archaeologists trying to understand what the Shuttle was for are going to have a mess on their hands. Why was such a powerful rocket used only to reach very low orbits, where air resistance and debris would limit the useful lifetime of a satellite to a few years? Why was there both a big cargo bay and a big crew compartment? What kind of missions would require people to assist in deploying a large payload? Why was the Shuttle intentionally crippled so that it could not land on autopilot? Why go through all the trouble to give the Shuttle large wings if it has no jet engines and the glide characteristics of a brick? Why build such complex, adjustable main engines and then rely on the equivalent of two giant firecrackers to provide most of the takeoff thrust? Why use a glass thermal protection system, rather than a low-tech ablative shield? And having chosen such a fragile method of heat protection, why on earth mount the orbiter on the side of the rocket, where things will fall on it during launch?

... That so much about the vehicle design is bizarre and confused is the direct result of the Shuttle's little-remembered role as a military vehicle during the Cold War.

By the time Shuttle development began, it was clear that the original vision of a Shuttle as part of a larger space transportation system was far too costly and ambitious to receive Congressional support. So NASA concentrated on building only the first component of its vision, a reusable manned spacecraft that could reach low earth orbit. Since NASA assumed it would be able to fly Shuttle missions with a turnaround time as low as two weeks, this left the vexing question of what to do with all that spare launch capacity. The tiny commercial launch market was in no shape to supply such a wealth of satellites, so NASA turned to the one agency that had an abundance of things requiring shooting into space - the Air Force - and asked it to abandon its unmanned rocket programs, instead committing all future satellite launches to the Shuttle.

The Air Force was only too happy to agree, but at a crippling price. What the Air Force wanted to launch was spy satellites - lots of them, bulky telescopes with heavy mirrors, the bigger the better - and it wanted to launch them in an orbit over the Earth's poles, so they could snoop over the maximum amount of Red territory. This meant NASA had to go back to the drawing board, since polar orbits would require a heavier orbiter than the Shuttle design had anticipated , which in turn meant using a bigger rocket at launch, and dissipating more heat during re-entry.

Moreover, there was no way to launch a polar mission safely from Kennedy Space Center — it would mean overflying either heavily populated areas in the Carolinas or risking capture of a fuel tank by the wily Cubans. So the Air Force also demanded, and got, billions in funding to build a new Shuttle launch facility at Vandenberg Air Force base in California. And because some of the Air Force's military missions involved capturing a Soviet satellite on the sly and landing after one orbit, the Air Force demanded that the Shuttle be capable of gliding over a thousand miles cross-range during re-entry, so that it could catch up with the rapidly eastbound Air Force base underneath it. This meant bigger wings, which in turn meant more weight, an even more powerful rocket, and again a more complicated heat shield.

don't miss this hilarious footnote

quote:

The Soviet Shuttle, the Buran (snowstorm) was an aerodynamic clone of the American orbiter, but incorporated many original features that had been considered and rejected for the American program, such as all-liquid rocket boosters, jet engines, ejection seats and an unmanned flight capability. You know you're in trouble when the Russians are adding safety features to your design.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

vyelkin posted:

That's exactly the point. Mongols were bad dudes, and American Prosperity Gospel has adopted the Mongol attitude towards the poor (before Kublai converted to Buddhism, called "idolatry" in Polo's text).

sorry, was just assuming you were trying to make the mongols sound like saints. theres been a movement recently to see the mongolians who invaded as benevolent leaders who took things too far sometimes.

linked cause of prop decapitated heads

http://i.imgur.com/wFXlMW8.png

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Only quoting because I took as a class on Fuzzy Logic last semester from a prominent...fuzzy logic professor... and it was dope as hell.

Was it Ol' Lotfi himself? I can't believe he's not only alive but still working at 95. It's amazing to think we still live in the same generation of people that invented almost every innovative computer thing. It's funny to think how far his work in fuzzy extends, from house appliances all the way to the social level. I created some systems with fuzzy logic that made some job positions obsolete.

Dude is almost falling apart but he's still researching. Actually looks pretty good for 95.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The joke is that roads are the ancient evil libertarians fear above all else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oiWPNYr30I

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

nerdz posted:

I created some systems with fuzzy logic that made some job positions obsolete.

WLMortis
Sep 28, 2001
Nebulosis Defunctus
Slippery Tilde

Don't blame nerdz because our society is hosed up. In a sane society replacing unnecessary work with technology would be a good thing.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

WLMortis posted:

Don't blame nerdz because our society is hosed up. In a sane society replacing unnecessary work with technology would be a good thing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I don't even know what this means or who the guy in the background is or what this meme is but I figured it related to this thread???

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

WLMortis posted:

"one in ten thousand" can make a "technological breakthrough" capable of "supporting all the rest".

Sorry, techno-utopianism is just as facile, magical, and worthless of a philosophy as anarcho-capitalism

e: Seriously, it just substitutes "the invisible hand of the market!" with "science!"
ee: of course your original point is quite fine, but I would argue that the problem is exactly the philosophy that image conveys. "Breakthroughs" applied without societal and humanitarian context can be wholly disfunctional and malignant. "More Science", in and of itself, is not always the answer.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 19, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hubis posted:

"one in ten thousand" can make a "technological breakthrough" capable of "supporting all the rest".

Sorry, techno-utopianism is just as facile, magical, and worthless of a philosophy as anarcho-capitalism

e: Seriously, it just substitutes "the invisible hand of the market!" with "science!"
ee: of course your original point is quite fine, but I would argue that the problem is exactly the philosophy that image conveys. "Breakthroughs" applied without societal and humanitarian context can be wholly disfunctional and malignant. "More Science", in and of itself, is not always the answer.
Isn't the philosophy that image conveys is that technological progress already is providing increases in productivity but the bad part is that people as a whole are not reaping the rewards of that?

It's not just calling for 'more science!', it's calling for an end to poo poo like this:

Possibly by radical or utopian means like the abolishment of the wage system altogether, but it seems like a root cause of the problem has been identified or proposed and it isn't just 'insufficient breakthroughs'.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Jesus Christ

In 2010, the Cuyahoga County Recorder's Office in Ohio was sued when it decided to charge $2 per page for photocopies of public documents. The following scene is a deposition from that court case. The dialogue is presented verbatim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoNMB-7ZwFk

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

shrike82 posted:

Jesus Christ

In 2010, the Cuyahoga County Recorder's Office in Ohio was sued when it decided to charge $2 per page for photocopies of public documents. The following scene is a deposition from that court case. The dialogue is presented verbatim.
There's a number of these; they're typically entertaining.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000004115589/verbatim-expert-witness.html

edit: On further research, 'a number' appears to be four, and those two are the only entertaining ones.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 20, 2016

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Volcott posted:

How can you post this and not post the amazing second half?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeXu3XSM9-c

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't the philosophy that image conveys is that technological progress already is providing increases in productivity but the bad part is that people as a whole are not reaping the rewards of that?

It's not just calling for 'more science!', it's calling for an end to poo poo like this:

Possibly by radical or utopian means like the abolishment of the wage system altogether, but it seems like a root cause of the problem has been identified or proposed and it isn't just 'insufficient breakthroughs'.

Except that the quote doesn't deride income inequality or the fact that Capital tends to concentrate wealth unfairly. Instead, it rails against "inspectors of inspectors, and people who make insturments for inspectors of inspectors". It's a grumpy academic bristling at the inconvenience of bureaucracy, and indirectly arguing that government only exists as a type of patronage program full of people doing jobs that only serve to justify their own existence. If only we got rid of all this wastefulness and let true innovators, those special "one in ten thousand" get back to doing great things to push society forward, we'd all be better off. Sound familiar?

Don't confuse this:

for this:

e: to put it another way, what Fuller is advocating is that innovative minds should be freer from the requirements of society to create things which would increase GDP/resources. What your graph indicates is that is not at all the problem, but rather it's the allocation thereof. Fuller's position is at best naiive in assuming that overall abundance would eliminate local scarcity.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 20, 2016

WLMortis
Sep 28, 2001
Nebulosis Defunctus
Slippery Tilde

Hubis posted:

Except that the quote doesn't deride income inequality or the fact that Capital tends to concentrate wealth unfairly. Instead, it rails against "inspectors of inspectors, and people who make insturments for inspectors of inspectors". It's a grumpy academic bristling at the inconvenience of bureaucracy, and indirectly arguing that government only exists as a type of patronage program full of people doing jobs that only serve to justify their own existence. If only we got rid of all this wastefulness and let true innovators, those special "one in ten thousand" get back to doing great things to push society forward, we'd all be better off. Sound familiar?

Don't confuse this:
~Rand~

for this:
~Sagan~

e: to put it another way, what Fuller is advocating is that innovative minds should be freer from the requirements of society to create things which would increase GDP/resources. What your graph indicates is that is not at all the problem, but rather it's the allocation thereof. Fuller's position is at best naiive in assuming that overall abundance would eliminate local scarcity.

I think you can call Fuller naive and overly Utopian, but it seems unfair to lump him in with the Objectivists (although maybe the previous quote doesn't do the best job of separating them). I can't see Ayn ever holding these views:

Wikipedia posted:

He was convinced that the accumulation of relevant knowledge, combined with the quantities of major recyclable resources that had already been extracted from the earth, had attained a critical level, such that competition for necessities was not necessary anymore. Cooperation had become the optimum survival strategy. "Selfishness," he declared, "is unnecessary and hence-forth unrationalizable.... War is obsolete." He criticized previous utopian schemes as too exclusive, and thought this was a major source of their failure. To work, he thought that a utopia needed to include everyone.

(For the record, I don't think science is the silver bullet that's going to fix all the world's problems by itself; I just don't think we should hold off on inventing an automatic sewer-cleaning machine just because there are currently people employed in cleaning the sewer manually)

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I don't think this guy should be intentionally upsetting the robot, it will remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Volcott posted:

I would say you've been delving too deep into /pol/, but I tried trolling with some far left ideas a while ago (automation ushering in systemic unemployment, promoting a GMT) and found a lot of people agreeing with me.

Maybe I'm the one who went too deep? :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEPlr6LIek

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

WLMortis posted:

If you allow me to defend myself, the jobs I made obsolete were exactly of the higher level "assistant inspector" sort, and probably would be obsolete even without my systems if the owner of the company cared enough to know more about his own company trade. Most of the time, they actually only alleviated the workload of workers that were being made to do the jobs of 3 people or more and still had to keep tabs on a lot of metrics. Even without automation, the companies under employ and overwork people. I don't even remember one case where they caused employee downsizing, only increased employee productivity (which of course was not properly rewarded).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yikes, like locusts

https://streamable.com/lsb6

Hubis
May 18, 2003

WLMortis posted:

I think you can call Fuller naive and overly Utopian, but it seems unfair to lump him in with the Objectivists (although maybe the previous quote doesn't do the best job of separating them). I can't see Ayn ever holding these views:

(For the record, I don't think science is the silver bullet that's going to fix all the world's problems by itself; I just don't think we should hold off on inventing an automatic sewer-cleaning machine just because there are currently people employed in cleaning the sewer manually)

To be clear, I think Fuller is in the former category (naiive utopian) rather than actually Objectivist; however, I think that naiive utopianism unintentionally enabled some of the disparity that came to categorize the latter part of the 20th century. Telling people that the future would be without want because technology would just hand-wave it all away and so encouraging them to not worry about current iniquity or the social implications of how the technology would be applied allowed the gains those advances realized to be harnessed by the empowered.

nerdz posted:

If you allow me to defend myself, the jobs I made obsolete were exactly of the higher level "assistant inspector" sort, and probably would be obsolete even without my systems if the owner of the company cared enough to know more about his own company trade. Most of the time, they actually only alleviated the workload of workers that were being made to do the jobs of 3 people or more and still had to keep tabs on a lot of metrics. Even without automation, the companies under employ and overwork people. I don't even remember one case where they caused employee downsizing, only increased employee productivity (which of course was not properly rewarded).

Yeah, I'm also not going to attack this in particular. It's more the knee-jerk assertion people have that it's not up to people who create technology to worry about how it's used, or what kind of world it would create. I find that there is a personality quirk among engineers to love to solve technical problems for their own sake. That joyful inclination is valuable and maybe even critical to excelling and, potentially, elevating civilization with their craft. This goes along with a pressure from capitalism to view that work as a 'product' which should be employed in whatever way is most 'productive' regardless of how it affects the common cause of humanity.

Ultimately, my point is that we need to realize that the proper way to harness the benefits of technology to better humanity is not to simply embrace an inverse-Luddism; rather, we need to understand that scientific and technological progress is really just another form of philosophy and ideology in that it changes how we think about and interact with both the world and those around us. I think there is a tendency to create technology to solve a technical issue and just leaving the rest of the social structure to deal with the side effects. In reality, the "problem" that an automated worker of some sort isn't the actual work to be done -- it's actually a socio-economic problem of having to pay a human to do that work. If my robot replaces that human for far less cost then I've achieved half of the goal, but simply eschewing the replaced worker isn't really a good solution because of the social side effects.

Pictured: An engineer intimately aware with the responsibility we have for the technology we create

e: People losing employment because we are able to do those jobs in a more efficient manner using technology is not an argument not to create that technology, but an argument against a socio-economic system that doesn't compensate for that. But I think it's incumbent upon those who create that technology to at least be active advocates for societal change necessary to make their work fit in a moral society rather than just washing their hands of it as not being their problem.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 20, 2016

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

shrike82 posted:

Jesus Christ

There's nothing surprising about this. Depositions are fact-finding operations and your "job" as a defendant is to provide as little information as possible. We're instructed in medical malpractice depositions to ask ourselves:

1) Is this a question?
2) If yes, is the question directed at me?
3) If yes, can I answer the question without clarification?

If one can find any point that might in any circumstances need clarification, one refuses to answer until it has been addressed. Again, the purpose isn't to be be helpful. It's just the opposite. Your goal is to make the other legal team give up in frustration.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Love it or Leave it :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jre-aMAgP5I

• Locked thread