Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Tide posted:

I learned 10 at the numbers, 20 on base once wings level, and 30 on final once wings level. These days, I've not been using the third notch on final and instead landing with 2 with a bit more speed. We have so much wind that it's easy to get ballooned or float on final with full flaps.

That's what I teach as well, 40° is generally unnecessary and makes speed management much too crucial for primary guys to learn the round out and flare well.

reduce power and 10 at the numbers, 20 level in base, and 30 on short final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

My training is extend to 20 right before turn to base, 30 on base, full right after turn to final

Your training is just a guideline. You should practice landing at all flap settings (including none) and adjust based on wind speed. The higher the winds, the less flaps you should use.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

AWSEFT posted:

Your company doesn't provide crewmeals?

We have a catering preference form where they'll order us food at our next stop when things pop-up. My company is awesome :3

They will sometimes if I call and beg for a sandwich because I'm on hour 10 of duty without a scrap, but there's really no policy because "we don't know what you like." Plus the employee that ends up getting it is guaranteed to be all "you're welcome" and "how was that food I bought you?"

If I haven't eaten in 8+ hours, eating is not a privilege.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rolo posted:

I learned a cool new word today.

Our "crew meal" scheme in the 135 world is always a total side of the spectrum. One day it's pop ups for 12 hours straight and I'm eating out of our own stock of m&ms and crackers, the next I'm eating someone's 400 dollar plate of fine cheeses they didn't even take out of the cabinet.

I gotta say, it's drat good cheese.

I remember lots of random uneaten/unfinished stuff being brought in when I job shadowed at a major fractional's ops department in high school. Fruit plates, cheese and crackers, veggie trays. Lots of paying customers' scraps wound up up for grabs.

Tide posted:

I learned 10 at the numbers, 20 on base once wings level, and 30 on final once wings level. These days, I've not been using the third notch on final and instead landing with 2 with a bit more speed. We have so much wind that it's easy to get ballooned or float on final with full flaps.

I learned this way, with the added caveat of "no adjusting flaps below 300 AGL".

That pilot mill rule of thumb during Private pissed off my Instrument check instructor because we had a sudden go-around with me under the hood shooting a LOC into our uncontrolled airport. He took over, put us on downwind, and let me land VFR, and I stopped adding flaps at 20 degrees for whatever reason. (I think he put us in the pattern at lower than TPA or something).

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Engine out landing in Taiwan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V2n0e5g42I

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

They will sometimes if I call and beg for a sandwich because I'm on hour 10 of duty without a scrap, but there's really no policy because "we don't know what you like." Plus the employee that ends up getting it is guaranteed to be all "you're welcome" and "how was that food I bought you?"

If I haven't eaten in 8+ hours, eating is not a privilege.

That is MESSED UP. You should make a little pdf of your different meal preferences and send it in, then they can't tell you that.

Also, I'm pretty sure if there is an incident/accident the FAA is gonna want to know if/when you ate.

I'm really not surprised though, I talk to plenty of 135 guys that get treated very poorly. My friend violated rest rules a few times and the company wouldn't hear it. He quit w/o another job lined up. The CP was pissed but "oh loving well".

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

simble posted:

Your training is just a guideline. You should practice landing at all flap settings (including none) and adjust based on wind speed. The higher the winds, the less flaps you should use.

Yes. Sorry, I should have specified. My training is generally this, but depending on circumstances, including wind speed, crosswind, other conditions of course. For instance, if I am advised to extend the downwind, I'm not going to use flaps til much later.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AWSEFT posted:

My friend violated rest rules a few times and the company wouldn't hear it. He quit w/o another job lined up. The CP was pissed but "oh loving well".

Isn't this what NASA reports are for?

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

hobbesmaster posted:

Lol if you think the Feds are going to give two shits about your average 135 operation. I literally had an Faa inspector tell my chief pilot that the company's rest rules were illegal (24/7 on call) and then watched as my chief pilot argued back that the FAA had signed our GOM making everything in it FAA approved so how could it be illegal? I don't even know why the Feds dreamt up part 135 no one even pretends to follow the rules anyway.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Part 135 is basically a Mad Max themed version of Part 121

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

VOR LOC posted:

Lol if you think the Feds are going to give two shits about your average 135 operation. I literally had an Faa inspector tell my chief pilot that the company's rest rules were illegal (24/7 on call) and then watched as my chief pilot argued back that the FAA had signed our GOM making everything in it FAA approved so how could it be illegal? I don't even know why the Feds dreamt up part 135 no one even pretends to follow the rules anyway.

We're worse than 24/7 on call. I've been told three times in three months that we don't fly at the end of an on call day, in other words, spend 14 hours awake and on call before getting a pop up at night. All three times we did exactly that that night.

I had a scheduled day off last week and they flew me on a pop up from 9pm the night before to 6am on my day off. The solution? Give me off from noon that day to noon the next day. 24 hours, still a day off.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Not if you do something internationally illegal. Only covers if you do something (like miss a restriction, bust airspace, etc) by accident.

VOR LOC posted:

Mine does :3

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

AWSEFT posted:

Not if you do something internationally illegal. Only covers if you do something (like miss a restriction, bust airspace, etc) by accident.

I thought he meant reporting the company. But maybe I'm not following.

Why did your buddy knowingly violate the rest rules?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Hmmm. Engine out. Once we get to 100AGL we'll find somewhere to land.

I feel like this guy got really lucky.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

sleepy gary posted:

Hmmm. Engine out. Once we get to 100AGL we'll find somewhere to land.

I feel like this guy got really lucky.

Well they got lucky that the engine didn't quit earlier over the mountainous terrain they were over at the start of the video, yeah.

Looks like he held best glide toward the water/islands from the beginning of the video, then did a forward slip to get it down on the piece of land they eventually touched.

I don't see what you're seeing. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks excellent to me.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

I thought he meant reporting the company. But maybe I'm not following.

Why did your buddy knowingly violate the rest rules?

He should have reported the company to the FSDO but he didn't. He was put in a bad position..... but reporting yourself is pretty dumb as well. So it happened, he decided to just quit. Don't feel too bad, he got a job a reputable 135 listed on APC now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Edit: this was just a long, dumb, rhetorical question I realized the answer to right after posting it.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 18, 2016

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

VOR LOC posted:

In my personal experience the FAA gives absolutely zero fucks about operators of any sort as a whole. They will end the career of a pilot for the most minor of infractions but unless an airline is loving up so bad that they kill people, or the media starts talking about it, the FAA won't touch them. It literally took 3 crashes and an act of congress before they realized the regional airlines had some issues.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

In my personal experience the FAA gives absolutely zero fucks about operators of any sort as a whole. They will end the career of a pilot for the most minor of infractions but unless an airline is loving up so bad that they kill people, or the media starts talking about it, the FAA won't touch them. It literally took 3 crashes and an act of congress before they realized the regional airlines had some issues.

They'll certainly fine airlines for infractions, but ya, they reserve certificate action for pilots and mechanics that don't also happen to be US senators.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh. Our seats on our American Airlines CLT to DEN flight are right next to the shitter. I mean, right behind us. I really want to upgrade us to the main cabin but it would split us up and sammich me right between two other people.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Tide posted:

Ugh. Our seats on our American Airlines CLT to DEN flight are right next to the shitter. I mean, right behind us. I really want to upgrade us to the main cabin but it would split us up and sammich me right between two other people.

Well, someone has to sit there; did you not have the opportunity to choose seats when booking? http://seatguru.com/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fordan posted:

Well, someone has to sit there; did you not have the opportunity to choose seats when booking? http://seatguru.com/

If you don't have status with an airline and its a popular route your options can be very limited.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It was booked through a package deal (steamboat.com) for our ski trip to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. No option to choose seats. Debating as to whether or not the 200 bucks would be worth it.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Tide posted:

It was booked through a package deal (steamboat.com) for our ski trip to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. No option to choose seats. Debating as to whether or not the 200 bucks would be worth it.

I would think if it splits up your party and you get the middle seat, its not worth it. Take the $200 and do something fun with jt on your trip instead. You're unlikely to have a miserable time on what should be a 4ish hour flight and bathrooms are ventilated pretty well.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Just passed my ATP feels like I've been in training for years.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Congrats on the ATP! :toot:

Couple questions for you career guys:

Anyone here work for or know anyone that flies for Skywest and can vouch for the quality of life?

Anyone ever leave an on-call 135 gig and regret it?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Yeah, one guy who left to go to prison.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Where do you live, Rolo? Come to Compass. QOL is high. Airplane is shiny. All is good. If I had 1000 121 sic I could upgrade right now and I've only been on property 9 months.. In LAX next month I'm holding 17 days off, commutable trips, first 7 days of the month and last 5 days of the month off. The party bus here just doesn't seem to show signs of stopping, but who knows. Also, a union to save your rear end when you gently caress up.
You should see my skywest friends schedules... honestly.. The ones that have been there for 3+ years. Freaking brutally ugly, I'd be happy to PM it to you, but it doesn't even touch my QOL. I know another guy that went there about 8 months ago and he's still been doing reserve and weird poo poo in bases far away from his home of.. LAX. (Where if he went to compass at that time, he'd be bidding really loving senior.) To some extent the train has left the station here but it also doesn't seem like it's stopping, CAs are getting hired left and right. 24/mo upgrade for the foreseeable future and hiring 40/mo, which is pretty big at a 700 pilot airline.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 21, 2016

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Slaughter posted:

Where do you live, Rolo? Come to Compass. QOL is high. Airplane is shiny. All is good. If I had 1000 121 sic I could upgrade right now and I've only been on property 9 months.. In LAX next month I'm holding 17 days off, commutable trips, first 7 days of the month and last 5 days of the month off. The party bus here just doesn't seem to show signs of stopping, but who knows. Also, a union to save your rear end when you gently caress up.
You should see my skywest friends schedules... honestly.. The ones that have been there for 3+ years. Freaking brutally ugly, I'd be happy to PM it to you, but it doesn't even touch my QOL. I know another guy that went there about 8 months ago and he's still been doing reserve and weird poo poo in bases far away from his home of.. LAX. (Where if he went to compass at that time, he'd be bidding really loving senior.) To some extent the train has left the station here but it also doesn't seem like it's stopping, CAs are getting hired left and right. 24/mo upgrade for the foreseeable future and hiring 40/mo, which is pretty big at a 700 pilot airline.

I won't be at my 1500 hours until the end of this year :downs:.

I know low time guys would kill for my position and I sound spoiled, but I only got this job because I interned in a level D sim facility where my schedule changed daily, and now I'm still on call all day every day 2 years later. I'm just planning to do something as soon as I hit my ATP that has any kind of schedule so I can have a personal life. Good news is I'll have 900 ME turbine time and a year's 135 experience by then.

No 121 time, but if you think compass would hire a 1500 hour pilot with an A&P, turbine time, charter experience and FlightSafety on his resume I'll definitely look into it!

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 21, 2016

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Rolo posted:

I won't be at my 1500 hours until the end of this year :downs:.

I know low time guys would kill for my position and I sound spoiled, but I only got this job because I interned in a level D sim facility where my schedule changed daily, and now I'm still on call all day every day 2 years later. I'm just planning to do something as soon as I hit my ATP that has any kind of schedule so I can have a personal life. Good news is I'll have 900 ME turbine time and a year's 135 experience by then.

No 121 time, but if you think compass would hire a 1500 hour pilot with an A&P, turbine time, charter experience and FlightSafety on his resume I'll definitely look into it!

On a scale of 1-10 please rate your ability to fog a mirror.
Please also list your resting heart rate.

Nah, not that bad yet, but seriously though they'll hire anybody at 1500 that is willing to study a little bit for the interview, isn't a douche, and has a good attitude. Plus I get a referral bonus which I'd split if you use my employee # on your app.
Compass doesn't junior man FOs, you don't have a great schedule on reserve but 11/12 off depending on the month and they are restricted in how often they can use you for airport ready. Plus, in LA you don't sit reserve for very long. It wouldn't be fun if you were a commuter, tho, as 4 commuter hotels/mo isn't enough for reserve, you'd need a crashpad if you don't live there. Seattle out of training as a base is possible too if you want it but movement is slower than in LA. MSP really glacial.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

ausgezeichnet posted:

Yeah, one guy who left to go to prison.

Legit best answer. Unless you're making zillions most 135 jobs are going to be bullshit. Get yourself to the 121 side and don't look back until you need a retirement job or something.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I left a Part 135 to fly in a regional. It was an incredible improvement, even on the worst days at ASA when the weather was bad cancellations were ripe crew scheduling was trying to butt gently caress us and everyone around me was bitching about how much working for a regionals is hell, it was still better than Part 135. I travelled the world on my time off flying business class and easily got over $70,000 out of my travel benefits every year. I never upgraded yet I am now in Miami training to fly Boeing 767 for Atlas. My buddy who helped me get this job just posted a pic from his first trip off IOE, he is deadheading business class with Qatar back to the US after 3 days of work. People in this airline are acting like its a shithole but again its probably gonna be the best job of my life so far. I just came back to the hotel after a date with a hot chick I met from Tinder and we made out all night.

The guy who replaced me on my Part 135 crashed and got killed less than a week before his interview at a regional.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sweet! Good info, guys. The idea of having more than 1-2 days off a month is baffling to me, since I haven't had it since about 2012. I think I'm just gonna suck it up, get my flight time and get to the airlines, stat.

Also, I hate where I live now. I'm gonna find a cheap apartment and sock away all my money to make up for first year FO pay.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Rolo posted:

Congrats on the ATP! :toot:

Couple questions for you career guys:

Anyone here work for or know anyone that flies for Skywest and can vouch for the quality of life?

*ahem*:ninja:
I can paint a pretty picture like some other guys do, or I can give you some facts and observations like some of us here have of our respective carriers. Where do you live? Chances are OO has a domicile in a city near you, and we just upped first year pay to $36.50/hr. I'll add more if you PM me, or when I get to a physical keyboard instead of typing on my phone :)

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 21, 2016

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

Sweet! Good info, guys. The idea of having more than 1-2 days off a month is baffling to me, since I haven't had it since about 2012. I think I'm just gonna suck it up, get my flight time and get to the airlines, stat.

Also, I hate where I live now. I'm gonna find a cheap apartment and sock away all my money to make up for first year FO pay.

Just get a really cheap room somewhere IN BASE to store your clothes and poo poo and then travel around on your days off visiting friends and family on your days off. After the first year when you start making more money then do AirBNB and Couchsurfing around the world. It'll be easy once you hold a line. If you are not single, and/or you have children, then haha I hope your gf/wife makes good money. At least the regionals are paying relatively decent money on the first year.

Also, don't make upgrade time your priority when choosing a regional. It doesn't really matter much anymore. It's a stepping stone and the majors are hiring as many if not more regional FOs than they are hiring captains. Go for quality of life all the way. I would look at upgrade time not as a means to get PIC time, but as an indication that you'll be able to be a senior FO ASAP and have a great schedule so you can go to Buenos Aires for two weeks and live like a king for the same money you spend living in the US.

Animal fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 21, 2016

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Butt Reactor posted:

*ahem*:ninja:
I can paint a pretty picture like some other guys do, or I can give you some facts and observations like some of us here have of our respective carriers. Where do you live? Chances are OO has a domicile in a city near you, and we just upped first year pay to $36.50/hr. I'll add more if you PM me, or when I get to a physical keyboard instead of typing on my phone :)

You're post history is a pretty good read, especially cause I'm in it a couple times :haw:

I'm gonna suck it up and buy plat when I get home to my laptop, so I can ask for info via PMs then. I've been here drat over 10 years, I'd say I got my first tenbux worth.

I live in Nevada, but I hate it. I would love to live in Tucson or any west coast state.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

Go for quality of life all the way.

I want this on my wall. One thing this industry has taught me is that talk is cheap and "suffer now for happiness later" is bullshit.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wait, Atlas has 767s now?

WHAT I EVEN HAPPENING ANYMORE

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Rolo posted:

I live in Nevada, but I hate it. I would love to live in Tucson or any west coast state.

Great, that gives you SFO, LAX, PSP, FAT, SEA, PDX as domicile choices. We have PHX and TUS bases too but those are shrinking and might be difficult to transfer into as a new hire. SLC isn't exactly west coast, but it's good if you like outdoor poo poo such as skiing, hiking, biking, etc. Attrition is currently about 30-40 guys a month, so we're not stopping hiring anytime soon. Upgrade time right now is down to 3-4 years, which isn't far of from the other carriers. As for bonuses, yeah we have a referral bonus plus type bonus if you hold a CL-65 or E175 type rating. As for reserve, well that's going to suck anywhere, it's just a matter of how quick you can hold a line. Personally, I didn't even sit reserve a whole month when I started flying, and I only sat reserve for about ~3 months in SLC (one of our most senior hubs) before holding a line. I even broke guarantee without trying to all three months, while a buddy of mine flew maybe 5 hours one month because he wanted to. The myth that seniority gets worse the further west you get is quickly evaporating, we're adding E-175s every month for Alaska and United flying on the west coast with some additional Embraers for Delta coming online later this year in LAX and SEA.

Ok, now let me poo poo all over the good stuff I just said. PBS is our scheduling software and it suuucks. You'll almost never get exactly what you want, so you learn to compromise very well when it comes to bidding. It gets better as you build seniority but only slightly. Crew Support is notorious for being bipolar towards pilots, I've had some very helpful guys and some cunts that'll make you want to :suicide: Non-union is a prickly subject, I like not having to pay dues and dealing with workplace politics (ALPA at both the regional and major level, :lol: ). It kinda is rough not having representation sometimes though, having legal recourse if poo poo hits the fan or a MEC to work towards better pay and QOL packages would be nice.

Even with all that, I like it here. Most crews I work with are cool and most of the trips I have are in cities like Vancouver, ABQ, NAshville, etc, so I'm almost never bored on overnights looking for things to do :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm glad there are people who enjoyed their time at the regionals. Gives me hope for the future lol.

• Locked thread