Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There were definitely some series I just never bothered to watch (streaming or fansub) just because it was too much of a bother when they weren't picked up by CR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've already stopped giving a poo poo about anything that's not on CR because that's the easiest thing for me to watch in the UK. Daisuke gets some stuff but their player is awful and I have to sit at my PC to watch it, the other UK anime streamer that I've forgotten the name of also gets some stuff but it's always weeks late and I don't want a third subscription service so yeah. Everything else I can't even watch here.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just dont like Hulu because I have problems with it and it hitches without fail every 15 minutes or so and I sometimes have to restart the app it gets so bad.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah Hulu is a huge pain and I hate it, Daisuke I put up with that one time for One Punch Man but otherwise bleh.

Netflix is still basically useless for anime unless you're looking for older mainstream-ish titles you never watched. They also had a killer selection of old-rear end anime DVDs back in the day but I'm pretty sure those are 75% destroyed by now.

Funi is awful without a sub and OK with one (But probably the worst value for money just because the number of shows they get per season swings wildly) Crunchyroll is great but is apparently losing the bidding war to all the crappier services, Amazon Prime is actually a good deal just for the free shipping and member discounts so I guess I can live with it.

Still too many competing services for too few titles at the end of the day. Also I assume Viz grabbing Jojo means Hulu or bust?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

madmac posted:

My concern is mostly that too much audience fragmentation through exclusivity deals might weaken streaming and cause a revival of fansubs as people get tired of having to sort through half a dozen paid streaming services every 3 months and just give up on legal streaming.

I already have subs for most of this crap and even I'm about ready to throw my hands up so I'm a touch worried how this is all going to pan out in the end.

It's not gonna cause a revival of fansubs because there are plenty of people that set up bots to auto-rip the streams anyways. There's already a slice of the audience that does it and I suspect that in most cases the general audiences just won't care enough to pirate them.

People that don't have Prime but wanna see the few shows they licensed are just gonna grab the ripped version that will be out soon after it's up on the site.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The most likely scenario is, unless there's a huge amount of buzz around those shows licensed by Amazon, most people probably won't even know they exist.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Srice posted:

The most likely scenario is, unless there's a huge amount of buzz around those shows licensed by Amazon, most people probably won't even know they exist.

Last I heard they exclusively licensed the entire Noitamina Block, so it could go either way. Been kinda hit and miss lately TBH.

And it's not even really just the Amazon thing in itself. Every exclusive slice that goes to a new service is also reducing the number of series available to the established ones. Losing the Noitamina block is a blow to Funi in particular, for example. When every streaming site is wanting you to pay for like 4 shows per season, how many people are going to bother?

Meh, who knows how it will turn out in the long run. For right now at least it's becoming a bigger pain every season to try and follow things legally and it's hard to feel positive about it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I'm not willing to pay for more than one anime streaming service.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 20, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i don't care for it because crunchyroll is the only service available here in the first place

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm still a couple episodes behind, but I think Heavy Object has become genuinely enjoyable

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

boom boom boom posted:

I'm still a couple episodes behind, but I think Heavy Object has become genuinely enjoyable

I really enjoy the main mercenary girl (Wydine Uptown, this show has the best names, though she's no Prizewell City Slicker). Voiced by Satomi Arai, but not obnoxiously, which is a bit of a rarity after the Toarus and Shimoneta.

As to the other topic, Crunchyroll is the only anime streaming service that I'll pay for. I miss out on a couple of big name shows for a while doing that, but Netflix is awful at subtitling things (Due to the software they use, primarily. A goon friend of mine tells me that CR is the only one of he bunch that actually uses a fork of Aegissub). Funimation, for its part, doesn't have all that many exclusives that I would have been horrified to have missed (with few exceptions, such as Spice World: Wolf Edition). Daisuki just doesn't have the library of older shows to justify my dollars.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

another girls und panzer ova got announced. this time with an university team. i'm guessing they are gearing up for a new season where they fight university tank teams?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

I really enjoy the main mercenary girl (Wydine Uptown, this show has the best names, though she's no Prizewell City Slicker). Voiced by Satomi Arai, but not obnoxiously, which is a bit of a rarity after the Toarus and Shimoneta.

As to the other topic, Crunchyroll is the only anime streaming service that I'll pay for. I miss out on a couple of big name shows for a while doing that, but Netflix is awful at subtitling things (Due to the software they use, primarily. A goon friend of mine tells me that CR is the only one of he bunch that actually uses a fork of Aegissub). Funimation, for its part, doesn't have all that many exclusives that I would have been horrified to have missed (with few exceptions, such as Spice World: Wolf Edition). Daisuki just doesn't have the library of older shows to justify my dollars.

Funi has a bunch of stuff I like: kamisama kiss, Dimension W, Grimgar, Tenchi Muyo, snow white with red hair, etc

It's me, I'm the guy subscribed to Amazon. Crunchyroll, funimation and Netflix. Plus watching Gundam ibo on daisuki (free version).

:shepspends:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Davincie posted:

another girls und panzer ova got announced. this time with an university team. i'm guessing they are gearing up for a new season where they fight university tank teams?

gently caress yeah

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

that's rad. that's basically the premise of the movie, and I'm guessing Arisu's popularity led to this. she's the tiny gothloli who carries a bandaged teddy bear like miho's, and the commander of the university team they face in Girls und Panzer der Film

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sounds like the girl whose picture they used for the announcement
https://twitter.com/garupan/status/711408810070380544

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

sounds like the girl whose picture they used for the announcement
https://twitter.com/garupan/status/711408810070380544

"the 5/27-released BD/DVD OVA's title is 'Arisu War'!"

this is good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

2 new shows announced today and they just have the dumbest names

Flip Flappers

Hand Shakers

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

lmao

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

MAL Top 10: Currently most popular Spring 2016 shows
The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water 27,550
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 24,427
Bungou Stray Dogs 23,528
My Hero Academia 21,145
Kiznaiver 15,906
Joker Game 13,631
Sinbad 13,006
Phoenix Wright 12,917
JoJo 12,348
Mayoiga 12,124

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 20, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Bungou Stray Dogs 23,528
My Hero Academia 21,145
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 15,906
Joker Game 13,631
Sinbad 13,006
Phoenix Wright 12,917
JoJo 12,348
Mayoiga 12,124

What in the world

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

2 new shows announced today and they just have the dumbest names

Flip Flappers

Hand Shakers

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

In Training posted:

What in the world

The second Kavaneri should be Kiznaiver.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Bungou Stray Dogs 23,528
My Hero Academia 21,145
Kiznaiver 15,906
Joker Game 13,631
Sinbad 13,006
Phoenix Wright 12,917
JoJo 12,348
Mayoiga 12,124

for comparison, a japanese poll, pretend i copied the numbers

Most Anticipated Spring 2016 Anime Series

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable
Sakamoto desu ga?
Bungō Stray Dogs
My Hero Academia
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
Macross Delta
The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water
Magi: Sinbad no Bōken
Netoge no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja nai to Omotta?
Re: Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
Mobile Suit Gundam UC RE:0096
Hakuōki: Otogisōshi
Joker Game
RIN-NE 2
Bakuon!!
Ushio & Tora
Kiznaiver
Ace Attorney
Mayoiga
Shōnen Maid

Most Anticipated Spring 2016 Anime Series (Women)

Bungō Stray Dogs
Sakamoto desu ga?
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
Magi: Sinbad no Bōken
My Hero Academia
Hakuōki: Otogisōshi
RIN-NE 2
Joker Game
Ace Attorney

Most Anticipated Spring 2016 Anime Series (Men)

The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water
Macross Delta
Netoge no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja nai to Omotta?
Re: Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
My Hero Academia
Sakamoto desu ga?
Bakuon!!
Mobile Suit Gundam UC RE:0096
Bungō Stray Dogs

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, Bungou Stray Dogs is now on my list at least.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Isn't Bungo Stray Dogs the one that has Dan Brown as a character at some point?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

:psyduck:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PlDge33Bw8

a Prism Nana sneak peek, at the second OVA to be screened in a month. but, uh, I don't remember seeing anything about the first OVA??

Hiiragi Mako, the girl w/ the sliced-orange hairclip, is played by Chika Anzai, the CV for white Chaika and eupho's Reina. She's the girl at the top there (is her element Flowers?). And then they also credit Nanjo Yoshino (μ's Eli, Kokoro-chan from Milky Holmes, fripside singer) for playing the glasses girl at the end, but I can't find any promo art of the char or her magical-girl form.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Pretty sure this is the best news in a long time:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-20/natsume-book-of-friends-tv-anime-gets-season-5-this-fall/.100011

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Westerners have terrible taste.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

It's me, I'm the guy subscribed to Amazon. Crunchyroll, funimation and Netflix. Plus watching Gundam ibo on daisuki (free version).

:shepspends:

lol I'm kinda the same, just swap no-ads Hulu for Funi. If I was only subscribing for anime on each of them I'd probably be more annoyed, but I get more out of each sub than just seasonal anime since I use the shipping, music, and discounts on Prime a ton, watch stuff other than anime on hulu/netflix, and read manga on CR so exclusivity has no bearing on what I subscribe to in the end. It's still cheaper than cable or satellite and at least with anime you don't run into that poo poo they do where you have to have a tv provider to stream a show (yet...)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Excellent. A good, chill show.

...I don't remember a season 4 and may have missed it.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Everything Burrito posted:

lol I'm kinda the same, just swap no-ads Hulu for Funi. If I was only subscribing for anime on each of them I'd probably be more annoyed, but I get more out of each sub than just seasonal anime since I use the shipping, music, and discounts on Prime a ton, watch stuff other than anime on hulu/netflix, and read manga on CR so exclusivity has no bearing on what I subscribe to in the end. It's still cheaper than cable or satellite and at least with anime you don't run into that poo poo they do where you have to have a tv provider to stream a show (yet...)

Don't get me wrong, I have Prime, and my housemates subscribe to Netflix, so I have access to both. I mostly just don't see any real need to subscribe to either Daisuki or Funimation if I'm already paying for CR, but then I've never really looked at the prices.

For subtitled HD anime, Funi is $5/mo, which I guess isn't *that* bad for one episode a week? I can't even figure out where they want me to pay on Daisuki, making comparison shopping difficult.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Daisuke is free and doesn't have a premium service afaik, but the site is kind of garbage in turn

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
purely based on quantity and nothing else, because I know there are plenty of reasons to dislike it and access depends on location, Hulu is the best bang for your buck IMO. You get most (all?) of funimation's catalog plus a lot of the same stuff that CR gets, just on a delay. IBO is on it too, I'm not sure what other shows Daisuke has but there may be a lot of overlap there too. If I had to cheap out and cut back to just one service that would probably be the one I'd keep.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

a kitten posted:

It's still not too expensive a hobby.

Unless you start buying the merchandise. That's where they get you.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Excellent. That is completely unexpected. I'll have to watch the first four seasons again over the summer.

Everyone should watch Natsume Yuujinchou if you have not seen it. It is one of the best chill out shows, right up there with Non Non Biyori. Great soundtrack too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrbfAU2UZqI

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Davincie posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Agronox posted:

It's still not too expensive a hobby.

Unless you start buying the merchandise. That's where they get you.

real smart guys fly to japan to get the merch on the cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

I'm psyched.

• Locked thread