Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kilroy posted:

I gotta say I was a little less terrified of folks getting radicalized by Trump after I saw that "what will happen if Trump isn't elected" article posted here a while back. Pretty much everyone pictured there, even in the background, looked like they could be knocked to the ground with a stern look.

Of course, they probably own guns at a higher rate than most, and are probably more likely to escalate to deadly force as well. So that's a problem. I've long advocated that the left should seriously start arming itself - still not too late, folks.

Buncha gun owners work each other into a lather and get jumpy they generally just end up killing each other. I doubt anybody shown at a rally and am certain nobody who agreed to be interviewed are going to go out shooting anybody. It'll be some channer who watched every single rally and whose world will fall apart when Trump doesn't win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

If there's any violence by disgruntled Trump supporters it'll resemble good old-fashioned American mass shootings ending in suicide. What better way for a person to vent his frustrations at the world that he thinks passed him by before leaving it on his own terms?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Kilroy posted:

For my part I think your best case scenario is overly pessimistic for the Democrats, but that's neither here nor there.

I guess I shouldn't say "best case," rather I think that's the likely map.

If I put together a best case scenario, with Trump ruining down-ticket races and the Republicans running poor candidates for open seats, it'd look more like this: http://www.270towin.com/2016-senate-election/GaLmy2

Still not as much of a rout as people might be hoping for, but it would give the Dems a little breathing room for the beating they're likely to take in 2018.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

DemeaninDemon posted:

No there won't. Most of them are armchair revolutionists that'll gently caress back off to freep, /whitepower, or where ever else they post. They talk tough but won't be bothered to risk losing their jobs over it.

Yeah. Most of them.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Yeah. Most of them.

Ones that don't take over government buildings during their off season and get sent dildos.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Epic High Five posted:

Buncha gun owners work each other into a lather and get jumpy they generally just end up killing each other.
Actually, they've come to shoot random strangers over 'parking spaces'.

Don't forget that hate shootings are a fertile ground for ISIS sentiments in turn. (And other reactions, like that black TV anchor who thought that his workplace was racist against him.)

Like I said before, I'm pretty sure right-wing terrorism will turn out to be a massive issue for Clinton to deal with.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Most of them are probably chicken poo poo, but there's a lot more some of them than the Sov Cits to potentially flip out when they don't get their way. Although then when one of them finally gets gunned down by the police, Trump and most of them will come out to mourn them as "patriots". Trump sure as poo poo will try to market them if he can maintain his cult of personality after this election.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crabtree posted:

Most of them are probably chicken poo poo, but there's a lot more some of them than the Sov Cits to potentially flip out when they don't get their way. Although then when one of them finally gets gunned down by the police, Trump and most of them will come out to mourn them as "patriots". Trump sure as poo poo will try to market them if he can maintain his cult of personality after this election.

naw, it is the fate of all sovcits and militamen who actually take action on their beliefs to be immediately disavowed and condemned as a crisis acting false flag

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Epic High Five posted:

naw, it is the fate of all sovcits and militamen who actually take action on their beliefs to be immediately disavowed and condemned as a crisis acting false flag

I'm not so sure the game hasn't changed at least a little in that regard when Trump's openly threatened riots to happen. They could be remembered if only to be used as a threat if Trumpism lingers in the right/fringe.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crabtree posted:

I'm not so sure the game hasn't changed at least a little in that regard when Trump's openly threatened riots to happen. They could be remembered if only to be used as a threat if Trumpism lingers in the right/fringe.

eh, he's not even refusing crusty old weirdos who throw a punch, no way he's touching somebody who shoots up a PP

I know this because this has happened this cycle of course, and he had no comment on it

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Epic High Five posted:

Last I checked, Finicum was a martyr. Has something changed?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Trump will gently caress off back to hotels or whatever. His whole deal is he's a winner. Once he loses for real he's done.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

Trump will gently caress off back to hotels or whatever. His whole deal is he's a winner. Once he loses for real he's done.

You're right. He'll claim that he got stabbed in the back, but his supporters don't seem like the sort to fall for that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Epic High Five posted:

eh, he's not even refusing crusty old weirdos who throw a punch, no way he's touching somebody who shoots up a PP

I know this because this has happened this cycle of course, and he had no comment on it

I'm not just thinking about Trump in that last post, just if his style lingers and permutes into another louder nationalist will they name drop tragedies and fringe attacks as "what will happen if we are not appeased" statements.

EDIT: As much as it could be asking anyone in the thread to pull out their crystal ball and wizard hat to perfectly predict the future, that is. :v:

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 20, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

meristem posted:

Like I said before, I'm pretty sure right-wing terrorism will turn out to be a massive issue for Clinton to deal with.

Ah, the nineties again. Hopefully none of them manage to bomb a federal building this time.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

meristem posted:

Last I checked, Finicum was a martyr. Has something changed?

He didn't manage to shoot anyone.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hey, I've been inspired by some of the satire goons have written in this thread to do some of my own dumb political fanfiction (the newest ones reference the older ones slightly, so start from the back). I don't know if you'll find it funny or not but I have a large backlog and try to add a little story daily.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Make Judge Dredd Real

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I swear, pretty much every quote from a Trump speech makes it sound like he's legitimately mentally retarded. I know that he's not a stupid person, but everything he says just comes across as so profoundly un-eloquent.

e: as an exercise, try to imagine his quotes being read by a Pakled from Star Trek TNG. Tell me it doesn't fit perfectly.

He's playing to his audience. Think about it.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Mantis42 posted:

Hey, I've been inspired by some of the satire goons have written in this thread to do some of my own dumb political fanfiction (the newest ones reference the older ones slightly, so start from the back). I don't know if you'll find it funny or not but I have a large backlog and try to add a little story daily.

These are good.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

meristem posted:

At least she'll be familiar with it having done some herself as secretary.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do Republicans even care about Cheney anymore? It seems that they've distanced themselves from him. It's not like Thatcher who is revered as a holy figure by British conservatives.

There are not a lot of up to date concrete numbers to accurately gauge the current aggregate approval rating for Cheney in 2016, but he's still more or less reviled, along with Dubya (left office with 22% approval). Yes, Dubya's approval rating has supposedly crept up to 4X% amongst the American people, which indicates that a majority of Republicans "approve" of him, but realistically, Bush and Cheney's approval is closer to 22% when their legacy is fully focused on. There is a reason that both of them didn't take prominent positions in the Republican Convention of 2008 and 2012, and will not take prominent positions at that event going forward. One of the reasons that the Republican party is in such disarray is that Dubya AND Cheney disappeared into semi-exile immediately after their administrative tenure, failing (and unable) to take senior leadership positions within their own party, creating a power vacuum in the GOP which has yet to be filled.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 20, 2016

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
From my Facebook feed:

Welp, there ya go! The REAL reason the most sane GOP candidate is still running.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Next you should post "You know I hear Soros pays people to post on Facebook too... just throwing that out there."

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
George Soros pays me to post here!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
The legacy of Soroscrew will never die

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Between the checks from Soros for ruining democracy and the checks from Derek Smart for trolling Star Citizen, being a goon has never been more lucrative.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

SedanChair posted:

Sure but there are a lot more Trump supporters than sovereign citizen nuts. There will be a lot of killings.

I keep seeing this sentiment, but other than goons saying 'Any day now...', this poo poo isn't happening. We've had protestors stand in the paths of vehicles on major roadways without fatalities, we've had fights break out at multiple rallies with the same people who goons claim will kill others, but nothing has happened.

Goons spend more time painting scary pictures of the future then anything else.

But I guess, any day now...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I keep seeing this sentiment, but other than goons saying 'Any day now...', this poo poo isn't happening. We've had protestors stand in the paths of vehicles on major roadways without fatalities, we've had fights break out at multiple rallies with the same people who goons claim will kill others, but nothing has happened.

It's a pretty good sign that you've been overexposed to right wing media when you start parroting their points unironically.

Like that's literally some "keeping the powder dry" stuff.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Dr.Radical posted:

From my Facebook feed:

Welp, there ya go! The REAL reason the most sane GOP candidate is still running.

How do goons always end up with so many crazy people on their Facebook? The only political posts I ever see on my feed are from my lefty friends or my aunt slamming the conservatives.

I mean, it's nice but at the same time I kind of feel like I'm missing out.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You're describing escalations of danger and violence and also saying that nothing has happened?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

UrbicaMortis posted:

How do goons always end up with so many crazy people on their Facebook? The only political posts I ever see on my feed are from my lefty friends or my aunt slamming the conservatives.

I mean, it's nice but at the same time I kind of feel like I'm missing out.

If you're not an "atheist from a Christian household" type you'll probably miss out

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

CheesyDog posted:

You're describing escalations of danger and violence and also saying that nothing has happened?

I'm not equating fights to massive waves of murders as goons tend to do.

computer parts posted:

It's a pretty good sign that you've been overexposed to right wing media when you start parroting their points unironically.

Like that's literally some "keeping the powder dry" stuff.

Am I supposed to be parroting the D&D talking points un-ironically?

Sedan just plainly posted 'There will be a lot of killings'. I didn't have to twist his words, unless I misunderstood what the discussion was, which I apologize for if I did.

All this talk about trump supporters suddenly being activated and killing people as if it was a factual eventuality is just annoying, and has become a masturbatory fantasy for D&D goons.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 20, 2016

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump supporters have got to be feeling really conflicted considering it was a black guy who beat up a white protester.

Trump racism has always had room for the "one of the good ones." This works great for their internal narrative about how they aren't racist.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I have to imagine Cheney is much more widely despised than Bush at this point. Since leaving office, Bush has done almost nothing in the public eye and when he does show up, he seems relatively charming and affable. Cheney has mostly laid low, but his appearances have certainly been of the poo poo-stirring on Fox News variety.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DeepDickPizza posted:

I have to imagine Cheney is much more widely despised than Bush at this point. Since leaving office, Bush has done almost nothing in the public eye and when he does show up, he seems relatively charming and affable. Cheney has mostly laid low, but his appearances have certainly been of the poo poo-stirring on Fox News variety.

Yeah, like when he had the gall to criticize Obama for getting re-involved in Iraq to deal with ISIS.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

DeepDickPizza posted:

Cheney's favorables have always been worse than Bush's, even during his presidency, it doesn't help that he and Rove are in a constant state of feeding the "W was a Dupe" narrative by intermittently jumping into public to say psychotic poo poo while W tries desperately to retire quietly

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

You sound real clever. But that's because they are winning. When Trump loses, they'll be furious and homicidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

You sound real clever. But that's because they are winning. When Trump loses, they'll be furious and homicidal.

Even assuming nothing changes, sucker punching people climbing steep stairs in a stadium is eventually going to result in a massive brain injury.

• Locked thread