Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

this poo poo in the year of our lord 2012

i hear they moved to cvs at some point after i left

Oh hey. I remember using that back in 2001. It was poo poo. For an extra side-order of poo poo, we used it over a 10Mbit VPN. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

KiddieGrinder posted:

This is interesting. I wonder if they brought this up to make people think they're still handing out refunds freely, so folks think they're still flush with cash, while quietly denying every single request that comes in?

Because I thought no one was getting refunds anymore, and just got standard copy paste generic responses.

Until they release SQ42, you can get a refund you just have to force it. They don't have any choice (especially in the EU) unless they want to go to small claims and lose. I'd imagine they jumped at the chance to employ someone who'd actually worked at HMRC and some kind of tribunal, she'll actually be aware there are laws and stuff. I've seen emails from CIG customer support idiots with zero understanding of the way things are meant to work, that intentionally mislead people about their rights, you'll get away with that for ages until you get caught at it.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

this poo poo in the year of our lord 2012

i hear they moved to cvs at some point after i left

Owie.
Sidenote: a friend once told me a fun story about a Source Control Troll. Apparently, there was this guy who'd get a job at some software dev company, then spend a month preaching a different source control than currently in use. As soon as he'd talk them into moving everything to a different VC, he'd quit and move to the next job. Last i've heard, he was doing the same now, but with languages.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

yeah don't get me wrong, you always have been and still are an excellent poster, it's just that ever since the ban your posts are coming from the base assumption of "everyone involved with pushing star citizen is a worthless hacky scammer", which is true, but it's very hard to convince people that the earth revolves around the sun when they're still arguing about the world being flat-- you just come off as a double heretic instead of the regular, run of the mill single heretic

I wonder what it takes to reach triple heretic.

You have a good point, and it's true that an outsider with a neutral reputation would be more convincing. That said I don't think they can be convinced.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You have a good point, and it's true that an outsider with a neutral reputation would be more convincing. That said I don't think they can be convinced.

That's not now cults work.
If you have anything but a positive reputation, you're a heretic.

There are no ”neutral outsiders”.

You're either a believer or a heretic.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

D_Smart posted:

If you guys want to get an idea of how all these 14 companies that are involved with Star Citizen are going to be taken apart, watch this:

https://youtu.be/xOOlsCWzItI?t=607

Can't wait. Hope the companies don't triple every second.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MedicineHut posted:

Can't wait. Hope the companies don't triple every second.

I think that part has already happened.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Smorgasbord posted:

Well I'm going to have to have a man to man talk with him about whether it's this poo poo that is stopping him from buying a house, that's for sure.

And that was what I said about unskippable animations taking away control but he was sure there was a workaround/skip for that so I let it go.

edit: The bullshit is 7 layers thick over there though, I get the feeling the backers cling to the one answer from CiG that tells them what they want, and disregard the 20 that indicate it won't ever happen.

They're really on the wrong track with my brother talking about needing 'faith' and talking about non-believers though, I can certainly work on that angle.

I hope you get through to your brother and make him see sense but I can only think that you're struggling to shut the gate after the horse has bolted. There isn't any chance of CIG refunding that $12k

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Wrecked Angle posted:

I hope you get through to your brother and make him see sense but I can only think that you're struggling to shut the gate after the horse has bolted. There isn't any chance of CIG refunding that $12k

No, you see, he only has one ship ($200) and sold the rest for a "not insignificant" amount. lol

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'm sure this is true, but I imagine with Chris it's "do it my way or you're fired". Is it worth your job to contradict direct orders from the boss, even though you know it's the correct way to do things, or just do whatever the gently caress he says and collect a pay-check?

Basically I'm hesitant to call their programmers bad, mainly because I'm guessing they not only get conflicting orders, and having to scrap and re-do what they did already constantly, but also probably different directives at once; Chris says do this, Sandi says work on that, and then Ben eclipses in saying make the ships like this. I'd imagine in that environment, making decent code would be a pretty daunting task for anyone. :shrug:

honestly i'm willing to give them a lot of leeway because i've seen things. i've worked at a specific game company who shall not be named (you can probably find it if you dig through my post history but vOv) and they had some seriously bitch-assing developers working for them-- but the engine that they were required to use was so full of ridiculous legacy jank and our branching strategy was so nonexistent that the fact that the engine worked at all was impressive

to put this in perspective, we had a couple of engineers working 18 hour days for a week because while we were working on a project for the ps3, our xbox 360 engine builds had broken accidentally and nobody knew why. no "real" source control so we couldn't revert it, so they just had to soldier the gently caress through and jump through some ridiculous hoops to unfuck everything enough that we could at least get an engine onto the platform

i'm sure that there are some really lovely coders there, but the fact that they have poached crytek developers on their team and they still have as much jank as they do leads me to believe that the jankiness is more from the fact that crobets is trying to paint an elephant in spots and sell it as a cheetah than it is from CIG's developers sucking. the decal thing is ridiculous but i have to imagine even CIG knows better than to grab the people working on engine optimizations to get more than 16 people in a server at a time and tell them to start working on spinny ring textures

I agree with these points, and I definitely may be wrong. It's possible CIG is whiplashing a bunch of ace engineers with changing requirements, and they may have to slosh through metric poo poo tons of spaghetti code. But I strongly suspect they just don't have the critical mass of top-tier engineers required to make the thing. Netcode doesn't stay broken this long. Although there's kind of a blue-collar cinderella story that people here like to indulge in (myself included) that there are great people at CIG getting squashed by the top brass, I have to suspect that most of this top talent has left the company. You can't just have a handful of rockstars and a bunch of code monkeys. The rockstars just can't keep up with all the damage.

IDK I feel a bit like I'm kicking a puppy here. But the net result is, CIG is doing really, really bad work.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Decrepus posted:

No, you see, he only has one ship ($200) and sold the rest for a "not insignificant" amount. lol

every single goon has made their money back AND turned a profit selling ships

also people related to goons

:homebrew:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

orcinus posted:

Owie.
Sidenote: a friend once told me a fun story about a Source Control Troll. Apparently, there was this guy who'd get a job at some software dev company, then spend a month preaching a different source control than currently in use. As soon as he'd talk them into moving everything to a different VC, he'd quit and move to the next job. Last i've heard, he was doing the same now, but with languages.

:allears:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

as a whole? assuredly not. but there's a rule of thumb when it comes to customer support in general: less than 10% of people who have had a negative interaction with a product will actually complain about it online anywhere, let alone the official CS forums(even those numbers are probably wildly inflated for most cases, but since SC has a higher-than-average rate of tech-savvy customers we can probably err on the high side). which means that for every person that actually makes a PU or ship complaint thread that ends up getting shitcanned, there's at least another nine or ten that are running into the issue, not posting about it and watching the responses people who dare to complain are receiving. those are the people that it's still worth effortposting for, not the (comparative) handful of whales whose brains would almost-literally boil in their skulls if they had to accept the idea that they've been scammed out of tens of thousands of dollars apiece.

Toops posted:

But the net result is, CIG is doing really, really bad work.

yeah there's really no arguing that's what it boils down to

e: i should admit (if it's not obvious) that i'm a little defensive when it comes to tarring all the developers at a company with the same brush, just because i, and every dev i've known, has been in the position of "i want to do this project right but due to managerial pressure/scope/crunch time/moon phases i can't, so i guess i'll just slap it together and may god have mercy on the next poor rear end in a top hat who needs to deal with it" and that was a frequent enough occurrence at a reasonably successful small time game dev studio with management that wasn't great, but things still shipped

i can't even imagine what that poo poo looks like when you've got a boss that's 20 years out of date on tech and doesn't want to know or listen to any of the limitations that he has to constrain his grand design to

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 20, 2016

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Berious posted:

I would cum and poo poo in my pants simultaneously if Solar Plebien ever made it on steam

That would be the greatest moment in SA history

LOL same. It's definitely a "it's happening!" kind of feeling.

At this point I'm following the Stranded Deep approach. That's a team of two that are building a totally legit indie open-world survival game and got it on steam. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the operational/marketing/advertising/PR part of game development, because I'm the guy who likes to mash code for 18hrs a day. But getting the game on steam is definitely a tentative goal. There's a certain milestone I'm working towards, and once I hit that, I'm gonna take some time, do the research, and commit to a release strategy.

No matter what though, I can tell you this: There will be a Solar Plebeian 1.0.0, and it will be distributed publicly and playable.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

Until they release SQ42, you can get a refund you just have to force it. They don't have any choice (especially in the EU) unless they want to go to small claims and lose. I'd imagine they jumped at the chance to employ someone who'd actually worked at HMRC and some kind of tribunal, she'll actually be aware there are laws and stuff. I've seen emails from CIG customer support idiots with zero understanding of the way things are meant to work, that intentionally mislead people about their rights, you'll get away with that for ages until you get caught at it.

Chris Roberts is probably pro-UKIP

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6472925/#Comment_6472925

"This is a money grab plain and simple. A money grab from a company that was handed 110 million dollars"

:allears:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Berious posted:

Ddr4 is not backwards compatible. You'll spend a good jpeg getting up to par :smithicide:

When I read up, the general consensus was DDR4 is diminishing returns and wasn't worth the price (this was about 6 mo ago). Thoughts?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

Yeah. Star Citizen is fun to laugh at, but there is a very high chance this is going to end really badly for some, that's why I don't like to get involved that much. As seen in the post below, some Citizens are absolutely mental, they aren't going to just forgive and forget something that ultimately disappoints them.

That guy has tweeted to Derek Smart 1,205 times and I'm pretty sure Derek will have blocked him before he reached 6.

Yep, these people have issues

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Toops posted:

When I read up, the general consensus was DDR4 is diminishing returns and wasn't worth the price (this was about 6 mo ago). Thoughts?

I'm certainly no expert but that's what I understand too. Just if you want the newest sexiest CPU and mobo features you're going to be forced to upgrade.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

I dunno man. Are you questioning Sandi's educational skills?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

yeah there's really no arguing that's what it boils down to

e: i should admit (if it's not obvious) that i'm a little defensive when it comes to tarring all the developers at a company with the same brush, just because i, and every dev i've known, has been in the position of "i want to do this project right but due to managerial pressure/scope/crunch time/moon phases i can't, so i guess i'll just slap it together and may god have mercy on the next poor rear end in a top hat who needs to deal with it" and that was a frequent enough occurrence at a reasonably successful small time game dev studio with management that wasn't great, but things still shipped

i can't even imagine what that poo poo looks like when you've got a boss that's 20 years out of date on tech and doesn't want to know or listen to any of the limitations that he has to constrain his grand design to

I'm with you there. At my current day-gig, it's typical bad product, bad leaders, and programmer malaise. That said, we definitely have an engineering talent problem. We've had to replace top senior-level devs with junior guys/gals, and we're not "allowed" to re-write one of the flagship products because management firmly believes that no one has ever successfully re-written a piece of software. But we have made demonstrable progress in reliability while adding features for multiple clients, which is not something CIG can say.

If someone said my engineering org as a bunch of hacks (which I'm definitely not meaning to say about CIG), I would point to that progress. Even so, I openly admit we don't have enough top-tier programmers to deliver a high-quality product of the scope that our managers are selling.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ON THIS DAY IN THREAD HISTORY

Who is this guy next to Ben and how long did he last?
Link

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlMf9B1ZD0I

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 20, 2016

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Berious posted:

I'm certainly no expert but that's what I understand too. Just if you want the newest sexiest CPU and mobo features you're going to be forced to upgrade.

Socket 1151 does accept DDR3 tho.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
found on reddit, more amazing things that aren't star citizen

http://imgur.com/gallery/rBMFL

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/322448/why-so-little-content

This could be interesting :munch:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm still waiting for a reason to upgrade my 2500k, maybe next gen

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I still can't get over the lovely "Barktona" story

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

G0RF posted:

Search google for "David jennison" "why I am leaving CIG". It's been removed from several sites but you should be able to find a cached version. (Or someone who has it can paste it in.)

It was written last year but is still surely as true as when it was written.

Ok, it makes sense for art assets, since they seem to have completely redone the Blade in the last year even though the renderings from last year looked better, ironically. But is Chris Roberts really constantly redesigning and unapproving the specs for the netcode and the janky physics and clipping/collision detection and usable chairs?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Fargin Icehole posted:

I still can't get over the lovely "Barktona" story

:lol: same.

Jesus Christ, I just can't even BELIVE that happened.

I'm really glad this thread is here though. Otherwise, Solar Plebeian's hero wouldn't have the name "Barky Barktona." And that would have been a shame.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

Yep, these people have issues

You think?

http://www.tweetails.com/result.php?taskid=2848604

http://www.tweetails.com/result.php?taskid=2848603

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

eXXon posted:

Ok, it makes sense for art assets, since they seem to have completely redone the Blade in the last year even though the renderings from last year looked better, ironically. But is Chris Roberts really constantly redesigning and unapproving the specs for the netcode and the janky physics and clipping/collision detection and usable chairs?

I would think it is something like he is constantly changing his mind about what is high priority and so the developers are getting shuffled between projects constantly.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Truga posted:

So a 20 man indie studio whipped this up:
https://www.twitch.tv/trugarrr/v/55441917?t=4m0s
Note how the Underwater-not-Merlin docks the Underwater-not-Constellation without any issues and there's no epic jank while all this is happening.

Meanwhile the best CIG can do with 300 people is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKnI1W86FU&t=38s

I guess the sub people just don't understand game development.

Yes. By the way the guys at Unknownworlds have been entertaining me with Natural Selection 2 for years. And I am looking forward to play Subnautica. Those are some really good quality games there and the devs really know how to use their funding.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Heresy would only imply you hold beliefs not adhering to the canon Citizen faith. Having renounced your faith, you're more of an apostate.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

orcinus posted:

That's not now cults work.
If you have anything but a positive reputation, you're a heretic.

There are no ”neutral outsiders”.

You're either a believer or a heretic.

Beer is an apostate though, which is worse than a mere benighted heretic who has simply yet to welcome the light of the CRoberts into his heart wallet.

e: goddamn it tijuana bibliophile! :argh:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

eXXon posted:

It would be hard to believe that their entire engineering team are bad. But I agree, there are some things I've seen that can only be explained by bad technical implementation.

It seems to me that most of the day-to-day grunt work is being done by junior-level hackers, hence the Port Olisar rings. I mean, Chris Roberts isn't telling people not to make sub-meshes, and to control what should be hierarchical models with separate server-side updates. That's just bonkers.

Plus, look at the stability. They have listed rear end-tons of fixes, and the game keeps getting less and less reliable. New flight model? Cool, ships still fly like balsa wood and feel bad. I haven't seen any technical implementations come out of CIG that are worthy of praise, with one exception: The damage and explosion systems are fantastic, imo.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Star Citizens believe that when Dorothy's dog Toto pulled down the curtain that an equally powerful wizard was behind it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Toops posted:

It would be hard to believe that their entire engineering team are bad. But I agree, there are some things I've seen that can only be explained by bad technical implementation.

It seems to me that most of the day-to-day grunt work is being done by junior-level hackers, hence the Port Olisar rings. I mean, Chris Roberts isn't telling people not to make sub-meshes, and to control what should be hierarchical models with separate server-side updates. That's just bonkers.

Plus, look at the stability. They have listed rear end-tons of fixes, and the game keeps getting less and less reliable. New flight model? Cool, ships still fly like balsa wood and feel bad. I haven't seen any technical implementations come out of CIG that are worthy of praise, with one exception: The damage and explosion systems are fantastic, imo.

I think it's easily explainable by a combination of your hypothesis, that they are having a brain drain of high end talent, and that the remaining programmers have simply had their spirit broken. They're just churning out whatever they can with the absolute minimum effort required to keep a paycheck coming in. It's like when you try to motivate people with punishment, people only provide what's minimally necessary to avoid being targeted. When you gently caress things up with your program development so badly that your coders can no longer have any pride in what they are producing, you end up getting whatever code they can bang out as easily as possible.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Toops posted:

Socket 1151 does accept DDR3 tho.

Yeah but you'll have a very limited set of mobos to choose from compared to biting the bullet and dumping your old ram

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Toops posted:

:lol: same.

Jesus Christ, I just can't even BELIVE that happened.

I'm really glad this thread is here though. Otherwise, Solar Plebeian's hero wouldn't have the name "Barky Barktona." And that would have been a shame.

I have so many questions about barktona that will never be answered

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Star Citizens believe that when Dorothy's dog Toto pulled down the curtain that an equally powerful wizard was behind it.

ha ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Truga posted:

So a 20 man indie studio whipped this up:
https://www.twitch.tv/trugarrr/v/55441917?t=4m0s
Note how the Underwater-not-Merlin docks the Underwater-not-Constellation without any issues and there's no epic jank while all this is happening.

Meanwhile the best CIG can do with 300 people is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKnI1W86FU&t=38s

I guess the sub people just don't understand game development.

This is the average patch size for Subnautica (not including things like when they did the graphic overhaul):

But I guess if it's under 30GB at a clip, they clearly know nothing about developing games correctly. That, and it's been in early access since 2014, which means they probably have been working on the concept since - what - 2003, according to the chart that likes to get thrown around on the CIG forums?

• Locked thread