Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sword Art Online is bad, right? Like not even worth $5 bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This may have been posted already but the stuff for Paragon from Epic Games is showing up now.. It's F2P with optional coins and you can play today with a Founder pack or later this year in the Open Beta.

There's also a free theme.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/paragon/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PARAGONALLPRODG

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

axleblaze posted:

Sword Art Online is bad, right? Like not even worth $5 bad?
On Hollow Fragment:

Depends on how :spergin: you are about your localization, and on whether the type of gameplay appeals to you.

The story is mediocre harem stuff that mainly serves to keep you moving, but also doesn't offend anyone. You may even like some of the characters.

The translation comes in two flavors: On the Vita it is done by non-native speakers, which makes it a little confusing to understand sometimes, but it's usable and keeps the mood intact. On the PS4 the translation is completely bland larp poo poo, but has correct grammar. Pick your poison.

The gameplay comes in two flavors as well: On the Vita you balance various bars by switching back and forth between attack types as well as managing aggro, and using various actions to rebuild your SP, so you can fire off special skills. On the PS4 the special skills have been nerfed because someone thought they were overpowered. They have hard cooldowns that limit how quickly you can use them, and SP are completely meaningless now. I think the skills don't even actually use them anymore.

What both gameplay flavors offer though is a really well done rhythm type action combat style, since you need to keep on ball to trigger attacks on hits to keep attack bonuses rolling, with all weapons and all special skills having different timing patterns.

Personally i find the Vita version superior.

Lost Song:

Skip it. Same type of story, but the gameplay tried to be some macross thing, without anything that makes it macross, zero complexity, and often dungeons that disable flying.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I absolutely adore the Vita version's translation and refuse to buy the PS4 version because of the new, cleaned up one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sony should be paying me a commission for how many times I've talked to someone about PSVue and convinced them to try it out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

I absolutely adore the Vita version's translation and refuse to buy the PS4 version because of the new, cleaned up one.

I prefer translations I can actually understand

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sakurazuka posted:

Blame yourself or God.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Sakurazuka posted:

Then the current Vita translation will be perfectly fine for you, unless you have a particularly bad variant of dyslexia.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Weird flash sale, I feel like there aren't any big name games

E: other than Peggle which I of course bought instantly

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 19, 2016

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Kinda torn on getting Salt and Sanctuary. Anyone played much of it to offer an impression?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a shameful boehner posted:

Kinda torn on getting Salt and Sanctuary. Anyone played much of it to offer an impression?

the thread for it is positive but dark souls 3 in 3 weeks

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

a shameful boehner posted:

It's pretty solid so far; I'm 3 or 4 bosses in. No idea how long it is, but it's pretty hard -- the second (?) boss took me like 6 or 7 tries to kill with my piddly poo poo weapon. It's a lot like a 2D Dark Souls done pretty right, especially the whole shortcut/Metroidvania interconnected areas part. Just about everything aspect of it so far is Dark Souls inspired, but changes just enough to not seem like a cheesy ripoff. If you like Metroidvanias and/or Dark Souls, you'll almost certainly like it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i heard the lack of map is a huge pain

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Dark Salts is good if you like metroidvanias but yes it needs a map

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

It looks cool but as a person with literally no sense of direction I'm happy just watching streams of it

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Dark Salts is good if you like metroidvanias but yes it needs a map

Yeah, I wish it had a map in the game. The above image helped me a lot. And I really dug the game; it's got me salivating for more Dark Souls. It's a great appetizer if you can fit it in your budget.

I picked up a bunch from the Flash Sale, and I dusted off the PS3 so I could play JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I probably should have swung by here for a general opinion first, though. I grabbed the Sword Art game, despite not really knowing to source or what kind of RPG it is. Peggle was a no brainer. Project Root is something I regret. And I'm willing to take a chance with Transformers, Strider, and Zombie Vikings. I remember the last one from when people could vote for some month's PS Plus free game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought Salt and Sanctuary based on "2D Souls Game/Castlevania" to be honest. I haven't played it yet but I expect I'll like it, I'm not really looking for it to do anything new besides that :v:

LawfulWaffle posted:

Yeah, I wish it had a map in the game. The above image helped me a lot. And I really dug the game; it's got me salivating for more Dark Souls. It's a great appetizer if you can fit it in your budget.

I picked up a bunch from the Flash Sale, and I dusted off the PS3 so I could play JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I probably should have swung by here for a general opinion first, though. I grabbed the Sword Art game, despite not really knowing to source or what kind of RPG it is. Peggle was a no brainer. Project Root is something I regret. And I'm willing to take a chance with Transformers, Strider, and Zombie Vikings. I remember the last one from when people could vote for some month's PS Plus free game.

Jojo's All Star Battle? Yeah it's not a good game, if you want some Jojo's fanservice it's good for that though. There's a new one coming out for PS4 but I dunno if that was received well or not.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
I've nearly finished Salt and sanctuary and i wouldn't recommend it. The boss fights are either pushovers or have octuple health and spew magic everywhere. None of the later levels feel as fleshed out as the very first one. The follower system is really dumb. I'd say more but that's all there is to the game.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
There's a character called "the skarekrow"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Jojo's All Star Battle? Yeah it's not a good game, if you want some Jojo's fanservice it's good for that though. There's a new one coming out for PS4 but I dunno if that was received well or not.

I hated Eyes of Heaven, because it plays like the Naruto games. It's an awesome JoJo game, but it's a terrible game on its own. There are two demos on the JP store; the former lets you fight Diego!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Takoluka posted:

an awesome JoJo game, but it's a terrible game on its own.

Aw gently caress that's exactly what I didn't wanna hear :(

I'll try out the demo at least because I don't actually mind the Naruto gameplay if it's done well. God knows after the last one I can't trust them to make a 2D fighter anyway

Is downloading stuff from the JP store as easy as it was on the PS3? Just make a new account and go?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eyes of Heaven does not play like the Naruto games and it is still a better game than ASB, not that it is a high bar to climb. The game's not good, but it's like an actual video game unlike ASB.

Also yeah downloading the demo from the store should be painless I did it for both demos back when they were new.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Baal posted:

Eyes of Heaven does not play like the Naruto games

Really? It felt almost exactly like one of the early Ultimate Ninja Storms to me, and it turned me off really quickly because of how clunky it felt.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't know how it feels like Ninja Storm to you when there's full free movement of the stage and you can actually explore around a stage unlike UNS. Like, even basic button presses and specials are different from how that game functions. I know UNS is an obvious comparison, but they really don't play anything like the other. UNS is a 3d fighting game while EoH is more like an arena brawler. Certain specials have their utility in the team based combat of the game and it is entirely based on full three-dimensional movement unlike UNS where your characters are still locked onto a certain plane of combat and fight relative to one another and only one another.

It's rough and not a good game, but it doesn't play like UNS.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll probably just buy it when it goes on a discount just for fan service.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Baal posted:

I don't know how it feels like Ninja Storm to you when there's full free movement of the stage and you can actually explore around a stage unlike UNS. Like, even basic button presses and specials are different from how that game functions. I know UNS is an obvious comparison, but they really don't play anything like the other. UNS is a 3d fighting game while EoH is more like an arena brawler. Certain specials have their utility in the team based combat of the game and it is entirely based on full three-dimensional movement unlike UNS where your characters are still locked onto a certain plane of combat and fight relative to one another and only one another.

It's rough and not a good game, but it doesn't play like UNS.

I might be thinking of a different Naruto game with full 3D movement, then. My bad. I just specifically remember going "Wait, no, this plays terribly and is very familiar," and I may have just cross the wrong wires on that front.

Carry on!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean the game's still bad, but it's at least got more work put into the gameplay part this time around than ASB which was just a JoJo model viewer with a lovely fighting game baked into it. It's not worth anyone's money at full price, but on a sale after it hits western stores for like 15 or 20 bucks shouldn't be too bad a price.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Starting to sound like ASB isn't worth $5.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Can anyone go into what's so bad about ASB? I'm definitely not going to buy it at this point but I'm curious about what it does wrong exactly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nickoten posted:

Can anyone go into what's so bad about ASB? I'm definitely not going to buy it at this point but I'm curious about what it does wrong exactly.

I've never played it myself but I watched video when it was coming out and it looks unbelievably slow and lifeless. It's a 1v1 fighting game that takes like 10 ultras to kill somebody bc of the low damage and extremely slow pace

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nickoten posted:

Damage is really terrible, it's really slow moving, the timer takes loving forever to go through a match, it has 10 second long super animations, a really bad attempt at adding a 3D Plane to a game with mostly 2D movement, and the game's framerate caps at 30 and shits itself on a constant basis. Fights can take upwards of like 5 minutes for one round depending on how anemic it is. In terms of non-gameplay, it has really lovely single-player modes. The story mode is essentially just regular fights through the timeline of characters they could add with no bells and whistles added to it, it's just text scrawls describing the stuff that happens at those specific points in the series and then you do a fight, with like one character throughout the entire covering a part, maybe two if you're lucky. You need to do this story mode too to unlock most of the game's characters since you only start with 8 of the 40-something cast. Then there's the campaign mode which is a lovely F2P Mobile Game mode in what was a retail game at launch that gates most of the game's bells and whistles behind it and is tedious as gently caress to actually play.

There's also the stupid DLC characters that cost 1.99 each and there's about like 8 of them, which isn't as bad as most FGs mind you, but it just compounds on the game's already insane number of problems.

Like if you're a fan of JoJo and very familiar with the series you'll probably have fun watching all the animations and supers and poo poo, but it's just a really bad game to actually play compounded by like extra stuff that doesn't really add to the game.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Unfortunately Capcom pulled the good Jojo fighting game off the store a long while ago :(

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

elf help book posted:

I grabbed it for the sake of having it, since it's flashy enough to be fun for a little while with some friends.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

If you didn't get The Swapper on PS+ last year, its absolutely worth $1.50. One of my favorite games all time. It's a puzzle platformer that's a lot like Braid.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bigmike posted:

If you didn't get The Swapper on PS+ last year, its absolutely worth $1.50. One of my favorite games all time. It's a puzzle platformer that's a lot like Braid.

I liked it for a mouse on pc but i cant do distance and angle on right stick in some of the twitchier puzzles without loving up a zillion times

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
It turns out I'll buy most anything for $2 or less so I'm buying poor choices like Bionic Command Rearmed 2 despite knowing nobody was really happy with it.

In terms of recommending things I've played (most of these are PS3 so if you've sold yours just ignore):

I found Call of Juarez Gunslinger to be a serious sleeper hit for me.  While the dueling was originally confusing once I understood it I had a blast.  The bulk of the game is a tightly constrained shooter and I think it used the theme well and I found the use of historic license hilarious at times.  Everything suggests Bound in Blood is better than it so give both of them some consideration.

Strider is a fun metroid-ish game.  It's not incredible, I struggle to recall the story and I had the feeling there was some padding going on, but it's a really good time and was polished well.

Bionic Commando Rearmed: Buy it.  The ideal all remakes should strive to be.  Keeps the old design choices that made the original unique (no jumping), tight soundtrack, tight design, lots of extras.  A+ effort all around.

Giana Sisters: Not bad as a platformer with a bit of collectathon and that light/dark switching idea that was the hot new thing years ago.  For $3 I think you'd be happy if you need a platformer with a solid art style.

Abyss Odyssey: I should have liked this but I think the combat is too janky to enjoy considering it's such a core element.  I'm aware it has some depth to it but it still felt like a first draft game-jam combat attempt.  The art is great and unique though.

Transformers Devastation: Enjoyable but there's like 1/3 of a game there.  Repetitive graphics, repetitive levels/maps, repeat bosses.  Combat is fun but I sadly found that on playing Hard I had to stick with a small set of combos to not get countered.  But it's like 1/3rd the price so that might be the right level.  Just don't go in expecting a fully realized game.

Remember Me: This one is almost a miss but it has some ideas worth sharing.  The combat is weird and inappropriate but the world design is actually very nice.  The real stars are the memory sections and if they had made that the core experience it would be a recommended game.  Still, 70% off I think it would be worth it to see the world and the memory segments and wistfully imagine a revamp/sequel.

The Swapper: Solid, solid puzzle action game.  For this price, absolutely and it's crossbuy with everything.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

Remember Me: This one is almost a miss but it has some ideas worth sharing.  The combat is weird and inappropriate but the world design is actually very nice.  The real stars are the memory sections and if they had made that the core experience it would be a recommended game.  Still, 70% off I think it would be worth it to see the world and the memory segments and wistfully imagine a revamp/sequel.

this was a ps+ game at some point i think and the only thing i remember about it was the great soundtrack

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

elf help book posted:

I bought ASB for 20$. Me and my friend couldn't stop laughing when we unlocked eshidessi and seeing a certain transformation in part 6 take place.. I kinda feel that those moment alone were worthh the 20 bucks I spent on it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okage Shadow king is coming to ps4 as a ps2 classic. Now it's not the most amazing rpg, but it's not too long, and it is actually charming for its time. I'm buying it because it has a dear place in my heart. I can't recommend it to everyone unless you're willing to put up with mediocre combat (compared to what you can play these days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I remember trying Okage back in the day and was really enjoying the wierd style and everything about it except for the fact that if your main character falls in battle it's game over.

• Locked thread