Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

Thanks for reminding me of the borefest that Heretic was.

nightwisher posted:

The only good doom engine game was Strife. Can we remake that instead of brutal doom?

This thread is loving DOOMed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Yeah if you don't like Heretic you're probably a piece of poo poo irl.

And if you like hexen... may god have mercy on your soul

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah Heretic rules and I played so much of it as a kid. Hexen is pretty lame by comparison. Tons of cool ideas (classes, hub worlds) that just did not loving work well in practice.

I kinda prefer Heretic's aesthetic to Doom's in many ways, although I feel like Doom's enemies are more iconic and some of its levels are much better.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Recently I tried playing Heretic for five minutes for some reason and oh my god it is so ugly and awful

It shows just how much Doom got right aesthetically when someone made a virtual gameplay clone and it sucks balls

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I think we can all agree that this game is going to be the biggest sponge worthy sultan of cock sauce we've ever seen.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kazvall posted:

I think we can all agree that this game is going to be the biggest sponge worthy sultan of cock sauce we've ever seen.

I'd like to agree, so I just googled sultan of cock sauce to try and figure this out. First result is siracha sauce, so I guess you're saying the game will be hot and spicy? I can get behind that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
sponge worthy in Seinfeld terms was a good thing, so I think he's paying a compliment? Sultan of cock sauce sounds like an insult though. :confused:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
There's a new short trailer showing off some of the multiplayer maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHEFeZB7Lcc

Some of them look visually really good, give me great hope the campaign will have equally good design.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AirRaid posted:

There's a new short trailer showing off some of the multiplayer maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHEFeZB7Lcc

Some of them look visually really good, give me great hope the campaign will have equally good design.

Aesthetically I can't get over how much they look like a mix of Unreal Tournament maps and Halo maps, but it is what it is, I guess. That's not necessarily the worst thing.

(Also they're being made by Certain Affinity sooooooo)

Infernal looks amazing and reminds me of a proper Quake 3 style map.

Disposal looks very cool although reminds me so much of Unreal.

Overall these look very cool, way more inspiring and creative than Halo 5's maps.

I wonder if we'll be able to SnapMap using all of these assets or how limited it'll be. Like all the organic trees, they look great, but are those going to be available as prefabs or what?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Yeah we don't really know much about the variety of prefabs in snapmap yet.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Kontradaz posted:

Thanks for reminding me of the borefest that Heretic was.

Heretic was a better Doom sequel than Doom 2 just by virtue of trying to do something a little different.

5/10 needs prinny.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Can I get a larger image of this?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

Can I get a larger image of this?

I don't have one but you could photoshop it yourself pretty easy :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Doom guy has both hands on the pistol at all times, making him quite the respectable gentleman when it comes to gun safety.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Keiya posted:

Heretic was a better Doom sequel than Doom 2 just by virtue of trying to do something a little different.

doom 2 is probably the best fps ever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Keiya posted:

things like "what if doom had guns that were bad instead of good"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Keiya posted:

Alas, I replayed Heretic a few months ago, and in lots of area the gameplay isn't as tight as in Doom.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

please don't disrespect the ethereal crossbow

thanks

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Absolute scrubs in here talking down on Heretic without evening mentioning doom2's city levels.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Can we talk about Hexen's switch hunting? :getin:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kazvall posted:

Absolute scrubs in here talking down on Heretic without evening mentioning doom2's city levels.

Suburbs is a fun little romp. Though I guess it's more of a suburb level than a city level.

As for Heretic, the combat is a little boring but I like playing it kind of speedrun style, just killing maybe half the enemies, keep on running.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kazvall posted:

The main appeal of Doom 2 is ignoring the campaign and downloading actually good user made maps that make use of the Super Shotgun and new monsters.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Kazvall posted:

Downtown :negative:

Those levels really are a chore to play.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i dunno what they were thinking with the city levels.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Heretic is actually an extremely good game, and once you get used to the level layouts Hexen isn't bad either (except for the lack of weapons per class, pretty unforgivable sin)

Doom 2 is the greatest game ever released and is a thousand times better than the original game if only for the expanded bestiary.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jia posted:

Heretic is actually an extremely good game, and once you get used to the level layouts Hexen isn't bad either (except for the lack of weapons per class, pretty unforgivable sin)

Doom 2 is the greatest game ever released and is a thousand times better than the original game if only for the expanded bestiary.

Doom 2 is to Doom like Left 4 Dead 2 is to Left 4 Dead - it's less of a sequel and more of an expansion and refinement.

I've got two levels to go in my Doom 2 playthrough and then it's onward to Doom 3. :toot:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Xenomrph posted:

Doom 2 is to Doom like Left 4 Dead 2 is to Left 4 Dead - it's less of a sequel and more of an expansion and refinement.

I've got two levels to go in my Doom 2 playthrough and then it's onward to Doom 3. :toot:

I wouldn't be cheering about doom 3

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Doom 3 owns, I've always enjoyed it. This will probably be my 5th time replaying it since it came out.

Also holy gently caress the Icon of Sin in Doom 2 can gently caress right off on Ultra Violence difficulty. I've failed this mission about 11 times now, and it's consistently either due to bullshit random enemy spawns, or mis-timing firing the rocket into the boss's brain.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Xenomrph posted:

Doom 3 owns, I've always enjoyed it. This will probably be my 5th time replaying it since it came out.

Also holy gently caress the Icon of Sin in Doom 2 can gently caress right off on Ultra Violence difficulty. I've failed this mission about 11 times now, and it's consistently either due to bullshit random enemy spawns, or mis-timing firing the rocket into the boss's brain.

When you're on the elevator shoot juuuust as the rocket launcher lines up with the chin.

Alternatively you could use a sourceport like GZdoom that allows full mouselook, it makes those fights a million times easier.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
What does UV actually change on that map, anyway? I think there's like a revenant on the higher difficulties and the invul spheres might be gone as well? Neither of those should make a severe difference. Does it affect the Icon spawn mechanics?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

JerryLee posted:

What does UV actually change on that map, anyway? I think there's like a revenant on the higher difficulties and the invul spheres might be gone as well? Neither of those should make a severe difference. Does it affect the Icon spawn mechanics?

Yeah there's the Revenant, and the invulnerability spheres are gone. It doesn't change the spawn mechanics.

I've just been dicked over by the enemy spawns repeatedly now. I had an enemy spawn ON the little lift you ride up twice now, the first time I got knocked off the lift, the second time I accidentally killed myself with a point blank rocket shot.

Edit-- Icon of Sin is dead, stock Doom2 complete on Ultraviolence, now I'm just going to knock out the No Rest For The Living maps and then it's Doom3 time. :getin:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 21, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Xenomrph posted:

Edit-- Icon of Sin is dead, stock Doom2 complete on Ultraviolence, now I'm just going to knock out the No Rest For The Living maps and then it's Doom3 time. :getin:

You march right back to the original games young man, and you complete Final doom before even thinking about Doom 3, especially the Plutonia experiment!

Edit: Then Doom 64.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 21, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

khwarezm posted:

You march right back to the original games young man, and you complete Final doom before even thinking about Doom 3, especially the Plutonia experiment!

Edit: Then Doom 64.
I would, but my PC is inoperable right now (PC repairs forthcoming once my tax refund comes through) and my N64 is about to be modded, but I plan to do both once I'm able to. :hellyeah:

In the meantime, here's an old print ad for SNES Doom I stumbled across on eBay. Excuse the watermark.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

doom 3 woulda been way better if it wasn't a doom game.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Doom 3 is good and fun. Just run everywhere and shoot everything.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I love Project Brutality and I find the ultra-violence to be hilarious in both that and the new Doom

And, yes, Doom 3 owns. Especially since it managed to scare my buddy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jia posted:

Guillermus posted:

Can we talk about Hexen's switch hunting? :getin:

This right here is why Hexen is in fact bad.

Hexen is pretty great, especially since they tried the whole hubworlds thing and classes, very unique. But then you find out you missed a switch somewhere and you have to go back to the castle of ice or steel or whatever after you already cleared the whole level once and gently caress that poo poo. Plus you only get like 3 weapons in the whole game because of the classes?

Heretic is way better.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The weird thing about Doom 3 is that for some reason id software decided to frontload it with all the lovely levels and put the decent levels at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Heretic is way better.

Well yeah I don't think anyone would argue that; I just think Hexen isn't as awful as people make it out to be.