Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

jBrereton posted:

Oh right cool. Alright well then there's 50% more ways to get a commander out of the water than I thought.

Did you pay 5 irl pounds of gold to delete your av?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Did you pay 5 irl pounds of gold to delete your av?
I did!

Although in the UK it's more like 3 irl pounds of gold.

jsoh posted:

you can also cast transform or twiceborn or life after death or ritual of rebirth
Again, though, EA R'lyeh has literally A Cap Mage that can cast Twiceborn 25% of the time (none of the other stuff), and if you kill everything in the sea by expanding like a normal person, you would have to spend gems to teleport them out of the sea for it to fire off.

A truly dross nation.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

Speleothing posted:

Aren't the N mages from uw nations mostly Capricorns who can already surface?

Pelagia's cap only mages have nature magic and are aquatic

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, 5 water gems to get them on land in a LOVELY shambler skin suit (must be v. stretchy, considering they go from size 2 to size 4 with ease) without the risk of them becoming a prawn or something.

e: also I think Desura's main site at least is dead, rip Desura.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 19, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

e: also I think Desura's main site at least is dead, rip Desura.

Well, gently caress. I've been downloading patches from Desura for an eternity and I've totally forgotten how other people get patches. Has Illwinter still some kind of website where you can download them?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
twiceborn doesnt work if you drown, so you would have to find some other way to have your guy die than drowning on land. Luckily if you can cast twiceborn you can make a bane venom charm and just have it die of disease.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Libluini posted:

Well, gently caress. I've been downloading patches from Desura for an eternity and I've totally forgotten how other people get patches. Has Illwinter still some kind of website where you can download them?

put your cd key in on steam

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
It used to be possible to register your Desura purchase on Steam and get your Dom4 downloads + patches on Steam - it's what I did, I bought Dominions 4 on Desura initially but haven't really interacted with Desura other than to use the Dominions 4 forum ever since.

The instructions on Desura for doing so were the following:

Google's cache of a Desura thread posted:

Here are instructions on how to activate your Illwinter Desura keys on Steam.

Go to your Desura Collection
Check the keys for your Illwinter games (Dominions 3, Dominions 4, Conquest of Elysium 3)
Write them down
Open Steam (download, install, register an account etc if you don't already have it)
Open the Games menu (from the very top, in tiny print, not the large print)
Select the Activate Product on Steam option
Enter your Illwinter keys and activate
Done

For Illwinter games that are not on Steam (Dominions - Priests, Prophets & Pretenders and Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars), download the standalone installers for those and write down your serial keys, then make sure you have as many copies as you need backed up so you don't lose them.If you have any questions NOT related to Steam activation, please post them in the Desura Shutting Down? thread.

If Desura is really, truly, finally dead, I would personally try the key in the file 'dom4key' file in your present Dom4 install.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

twiceborn doesnt work if you drown, so you would have to find some other way to have your guy die than drowning on land. Luckily if you can cast twiceborn you can make a bane venom charm and just have it die of disease.
Sounds like a firm basis for a Baalz style guide, shame Desura's down really.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

http://dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum.html for anyone who has stuff they still want to grab off desura

Edit: jBrereton, did you ever figure out the bug with pd and defmult of 20?

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 20, 2016

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I have Dominions 4 on Steam, how do i get my Desura Profile link to register on the Goon Game Service, now that Desura is down? Do i just register without putting in the key?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Eeepies posted:

I have Dominions 4 on Steam, how do i get my Desura Profile link to register on the Goon Game Service, now that Desura is down? Do i just register without putting in the key?

I think having a key and being a goon is enough. Brainwrinkle's fully deterministic AI will either accept it or not and is just waiting for you to submit.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, I keep forgetting my cd-key is part of my dom4 install. With that I guess I don't need Desura anymore.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
They patched to 4.24. It's mostly just fixing mod-related stuff, which is very welcome.

http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/history.html posted:

Version 4.24
This is a small bug fix update that mainly fixes a few annoying bugs with modded game that were introduced in version 4.23.

General
Event fix
Fix for caster only losing a limb when he should die instead
Fixed bug preventing mod .trn files from being found
Remove keyfiles on fail.

Modding
Fix for reading 64-bit values on windows
Game crashed when running a game after running a modded game

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Decrepus posted:

I think having a key and being a goon is enough. Brainwrinkle's fully deterministic AI will either accept it or not and is just waiting for you to submit.

Thanks for your help, managed to register on the Goon Game service. Hopefully I can get into a newbie game soon (to lose horribly).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
#slothpower still doesn't work, 3/10 patch at best.

Etalommi posted:

Edit: jBrereton, did you ever figure out the bug with pd and defmult of 20?
Bwuh? Which bug? Was that me?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Game idea, needs a mod-person to make things for game:

DragonPass
Like ermorgame, but you can choose between EA Ulm and Marveni (with bloodsac removed)
Magic sites are rare
4x3/4x2 thrones, twelve points to win
No earthsnake
Common events, normal income/supply, etc.

Any other suggestions? Carcer's Caelum = DUCKPEOPLE suggestion has already been vetoed on account of Caelum not actually being birds.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Bwuh? Which bug? Was that me?

I think you talked about it in a z7.invisionfree post about De Dana. http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1573&view=findpost&p=22086937

If I set #defmult1b to 20, the unit doesn't show up for fort pd.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

How are u posted:

I need a sub for the game Corn for a lot of days over the next week and a half. If you are a person interested in playing MA Pythium (communicants! cool!) in a fine position and still in the early game contact me.

e: got some sweet subs thanks friends.

I am pioneering a new method of subbing in which I dictate the turn to another player an they tell me what to do.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Etalommi posted:

I think you talked about it in a z7.invisionfree post about De Dana. http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1573&view=findpost&p=22086937

If I set #defmult1b to 20, the unit doesn't show up for fort pd.
Oh right that post from 2 years ago on a different forum for a version of my mod that's 3 out of date, not sure how I let that one slip my mind :v:

I believe that's not actually a bug, and that you only get #defmult1b units on normal provinces over 20 but not on your own forts.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Oh right that post from 2 years ago on a different forum for a version of my mod that's 3 out of date, not sure how I let that one slip my mind :v:

I believe that's not actually a bug, and that you only get #defmult1b units on normal provinces over 20 but not on your own forts.

Any value other than #defmult1b 20 and it does show up, though.

Also, was it you who did a pretender cost balance mod post monster pretender patch?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If that's the case then it's a game engine issue (Thanks KObama) and not something moddable. I did not do a pretender rebalance patch, no.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Great Gray Shrike posted:

They patched to 4.24. It's mostly just fixing mod-related stuff, which is very welcome.

Steam isn't updating my mac Dom4 to 4.24 so trying to load games crashes. Reverifying didn't work and neither did reinstalling. Hopefully this sorts itself soon but my turns will be delayed. I've already requested extensions. Sorry to anyone this messes with.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Ramc posted:

Steam isn't updating my mac Dom4 to 4.24 so trying to load games crashes. Reverifying didn't work and neither did reinstalling. Hopefully this sorts itself soon but my turns will be delayed. I've already requested extensions. Sorry to anyone this messes with.

run a vm!!!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Decrepus posted:

I am pioneering a new method of subbing in which I dictate the turn to another player an they tell me what to do.

oh hey I didn't realize they'd released another set of TWS screens

Melum
Oct 14, 2012
Anyone have Helheim advice? First game with them, right now thinking Dormant 9x4x animal god of some type with high Order and Production. Another option is imprisoned statue of some kind, maybe beasts.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

valks are good but really expensive, so as an alternative to something like b9e4 (which is good) you could try an awake monster if you're willing to get good with positioning and running a scales build. lean on huskarls adn mercs to expand then work into vampire lords/storm demons/BoT.

otherwise you could do something like dormant ormr w9e4 dom6 o3c3g3 for max monies and blood hunting. or do dormant fountain for that sweet, sweet b9 and decent scales. most of the time putting your god in jail is a bad play because you get very little for all those extra turns you lose.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Melum posted:

Anyone have Helheim advice? First game with them, right now thinking Dormant 9x4x animal god of some type with high Order and Production. Another option is imprisoned statue of some kind, maybe beasts.

I've never played them, but ponymen nations tend to have similar strategies and looking at them in the mod inspector they seem to be a budget MA vanheim.

If you have human-size neighbours, summon air elementals.

If you have giant neighbours, cast thunderstrike (hopefully you get an a3 Hangadrott for storm casting).

You don't have easy access to D2 so skelespam is limited to your StR guys. Probably don't rely on it. You can do fun stuff like wailing winds though.

Svartalfs can make hammers.

Helhirdings are kickass stealthy raiders - N9E4 bless will take you far, although it probalby won't help much with expansion. I dunno, I've never tried expo with ponies and I don't know if valks would cut it.

Per the norm for ponymen, your main focus is to find decent indy researchers and just load them the gently caress down with air quills. You won't shitstomp as hard as dubbless EA Vanheim, but ponymen raiders can and will gently caress an enemy's poo poo up. Eventually you want to start the world's most expensive blood economy (lol vanjarls) and start cranking out storm demons.

Someone please come along and tell me all the cool and interesting things I forgot to mention.

E: ooh vampires gently caress I totally forgot about that. Make a billion of those. Probably get your blood econ going earlier than you might otherwise for that sweet twilight action

Melum
Oct 14, 2012

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

valks are good but really expensive, so as an alternative to something like b9e4 (which is good) you could try an awake monster if you're willing to get good with positioning and running a scales build. lean on huskarls adn mercs to expand then work into vampire lords/storm demons/BoT.

otherwise you could do something like dormant ormr w9e4 dom6 o3c3g3 for max monies and blood hunting. or do dormant fountain for that sweet, sweet b9 and decent scales. most of the time putting your god in jail is a bad play because you get very little for all those extra turns you lose.

Tried a test game as the dormant ormr, went pretty well, so probably gonna do that. Seems pretty poo poo as a blood mage nation though. Going to have to spend a while empowering a hangadrott to do anything, it seems like. I do love bloodstones though...

Edit: Hmm, the version I tested took 2 misfortune to bump up to 8 Dom, but I suppose with blood sac I can start lower.

Melum fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 21, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

yeah getting a decent blood economy going as ponies is always expensive but them's the breaks. always bee line for garnets even if that means murdering someone.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Melum posted:

Tried a test game as the dormant ormr, went pretty well, so probably gonna do that. Seems pretty poo poo as a blood mage nation though. Going to have to spend a while empowering a hangadrott to do anything, it seems like. I do love bloodstones though...

Note that you're not a blood focused nation like Xib or Mict. Unless you win the lottery and find garnet zons or some other site that gets you recruitable blood, you're only going to have vanjarls for blood hunting. They are stupid expensive for a main blood hunter and also important for casting a magic in fights, so basically unless you've got a massive income you're not going to have the sort of blood income that can sustain huge blood expenditures. Mostly you'll be summoning a trickle of storm demons, as many vampires as possible (this cannot be understated. Make all of the vampires), and otherwise using regular tactics augmented by these.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Helheim has access to jotun wolves (and no native nature mages to cast it with lol), which are sacred and have fear and has a high conjuration battlespell to crap out a ton of valkyries. If you managed to get to that point you're probably gonna win but I personally have never managed to get them off the ground, but I'm a known Bad PlayerTM.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Note that you're not a blood focused nation like Xib or Mict. Unless you win the lottery and find garnet zons or some other site that gets you recruitable blood, you're only going to have vanjarls for blood hunting. They are stupid expensive for a main blood hunter and also important for casting a magic in fights, so basically unless you've got a massive income you're not going to have the sort of blood income that can sustain huge blood expenditures. Mostly you'll be summoning a trickle of storm demons, as many vampires as possible (this cannot be understated. Make all of the vampires), and otherwise using regular tactics augmented by these.

Break into nature with indie shitlords or in some other way. Cast brood of garm, draug (conj4), air elementals (conj5) and summon valkyrie (conj6 - 7 flying sacreds for one gem is incredible)

Or you can go ench and spam the everliving poo poo out of pale riders and summon skelemen.

Or you can go thau and utilize spooky magics before casting an early burden of time though this will reduce your options.

Or you can go evo and do shadow blast spam + storm/tstrike.

Regardless, go get const2 first, make a dwarven hammer with a cap mage and set some idiot to make an owl quill every turn for a very long time. Take magic 3 so you can recruit stupid indies to read books for you cause ponyman is for fighting not for reading books. Blood is your endgame but your ponymen and cool things get you there.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GenericOverusedName posted:

Helheim has access to jotun wolves (and no native nature mages to cast it with lol)[/super].
If only there were any indie N mages in EA :(

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

yeah getting a decent blood economy going as ponies is always expensive but them's the breaks. always bee line for garnets even if that means murdering someone.

Just start with them next to your cap.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Just start with them next to your cap.

thanks baalz

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I am in 4.24 now. Used my work wifi and it updated immediately. WHO KNOWS. It will probably still take me a bit to get to all my turns because a few are big endgame-y ones.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Fire ants too strong, please nerf.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 24, 2016

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Fire ants too strong, please nerf.

I almost died when I saw that battle.

Fire ant too strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Is that from the conceptually interesting Mo Money Mo Problems game or has Jomon just gone for the big dick Prod 3 strat?

• Locked thread