Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'd kind of like to see Cosworth (or whoever) try to make an affordable crate engine again but that just never really seems to work out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Manufacturers can gently caress off like they have any time things haven't gone their way who cares about them

Ferrari and Cosworth can make all the engines imho

and i'd ask again: where is the money coming from in this scenario? if you can't answer that question then don't suggest that the manufacturers leave.

Alain Post posted:

i'd kind of like to see Cosworth (or whoever) try to make an affordable crate engine again but that just never really seems to work out

i'd really really like to see cosworth or another privateer (but definitely cosworth) form an alliance with some kind of electronics company to build a power unit to the current regulations.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Give me a Haas, Force India, Manor, Williams or McLaren, over a Mercedes, Red Bull or Renault any day.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Alain Post posted:

I dont think the F1 Engine part of Cosworth exists anymore tbh, even if they still do I dont think they could afford to develop one.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Alain Post posted:

perhaps if they were allowed but nooo, we must constantly justify a few bad decisions made years ago over fears that one or two companies involved might be petulant children

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm extremely excited to see how Suzuki and Ducati do in this MotoGP race, so obviously Lorenzo is going to gently caress off into the lead for the whole race

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

krushgroove posted:

Seriously though you can't be serious

Judging by the responses, apparently I was? I might have to look up what a joke is on Wikipedia first though

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

I dont think the F1 Engine part of Cosworth exists anymore tbh, even if they still do I dont think they could afford to develop one.

nothing has changed organizationally since they supplied V8s. they designed an engine to the 2014 specs but never built it.

Triple A posted:

perhaps if they were allowed but nooo, we must constantly justify a few bad decisions made years ago over fears that one or two companies involved might be petulant children

it is impossible for me to believe that you are genuinely this stupid

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Alain Post posted:

i'm extremely excited to see how Suzuki and Ducati do in this MotoGP race, so obviously Lorenzo is going to gently caress off into the lead for the whole race

Rossi is extremely salty still so I hope we get him and Marquez fighting for position

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

El Hefe posted:

Rossi is extremely salty still so I hope we get him and Marquez fighting for position

I hope Big Vale gives the spanish twink fraud another knee to the helmet.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"But big engines!" Grunted Triple A.

I wonder exactly what would happen if I were to go into another SAS thread and say "hey I only started watching this year/I used to watch but stopped because I thought it was poo poo 5 years ago/I checked out the results on wiki and it looked like it was a poo poo race".... and here's my opinion on why your sport is poo poo/here's what I think you should do to change your poo poo sport so its more like this sport that I like."

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

be nice wicka posted:

and i'd ask again: where is the money coming from in this scenario? if you can't answer that question then don't suggest that the manufacturers leave.

i'd really really like to see cosworth or another privateer (but definitely cosworth) form an alliance with some kind of electronics company to build a power unit to the current regulations.

I could have sworn they did for 2014, but no one wanted to use it.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Alain Post posted:

BeIN's coverage of MotoGP has been...good thus far? (Too many ads for EL CLASICO TOURS! though.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Troy Queef posted:

BeIN's coverage of MotoGP has been...good thus far? (Too many ads for EL CLASICO TOURS! though.)

I just sprung for the streaming package, it's expensive but the archive is nice.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If you want a good example of workable high tech formulas and race direction, ACO/Le Mans is it. They have some fantastically complicated rule system that allows the LMP teams to run wildly different designs with gas, diesel, turbo, NA, batteries, flywheels, and they all still end up within a few laps of each other after a day long race. And their virtual pit lane sector is a hell of a lot better idea than the virtual safety car in F1 that allows cars to be boring and slow while simultaneously still being unlimited in specific speed and dangerous in any given corner.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Caption this.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gallery-fernando-alonso-s-accident-sequence-681178/

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
348kph the Ducatis on the straight

insane

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
RIP Vinales

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

WEC has one company running the top two teams and another company in a distant third. I strongly suspect if Toyota got close on pace to either Porsche or Audi they'd magically start finding some pace. I don't think the ACO's rules are the solution.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

IAN-NO-NE

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
fuuuuuck, RIP Iannone, now Ducati have to rely on Confirmed Fraud Dovizioso

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

fuuuuuck, RIP Iannone, now Ducati have to rely on Confirmed Fraud Dovizioso

why in the world haven't they shown a replay of this yet

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

why in the world haven't they shown a replay of this yet

They haven't shown a replay of Crutchlow's wreck either

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 20, 2016

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Gonna repost this cus holy moly:

Alonso ponders "can things get any worse with McLaren?"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
not that i hate the current formula because i like it and think its really cool but the correct answer for F1 engines is "V10"

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Finished the race encore. Frog Max can gently caress off. Alonsowns and those McLarens are holy poo poo built well. Grossjeans is alright by me.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

unreliability is cool. i love the dynamic of fast-but-fragile, makes it at least worth watching when someone seems to be running away with the race

i also miss 1989 when the reliability rate was so poor that you had a decent shot at a podium if you finished the race at all, which led to a bunch of really weird third-place finishers

'84 is great as well for this.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Do we have any Max supporters left after his massive show of petulance?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Attrition makes the show much better.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Not a totally wasted day.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Diet Crack posted:

Gonna repost this cus holy moly:

Alonso ponders "can things get any worse with McLaren?"

Heid the Ball posted:

Not a totally wasted day.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Norns posted:

Do we have any Max supporters left after his massive show of petulance?

they'll pop up again once the kid has a day when everything does go his way

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

learnincurve posted:

"But big engines!" Grunted Triple A.

I wonder exactly what would happen if I were to go into another SAS thread and say "hey I only started watching this year/I used to watch but stopped because I thought it was poo poo 5 years ago/I checked out the results on wiki and it looked like it was a poo poo race".... and here's my opinion on why your sport is poo poo/here's what I think you should do to change your poo poo sport so its more like this sport that I like."

You just described every World Cup thread

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
F1 is dead

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

bit late but heres a Q3 meme

https://i.imgur.com/seESGft.webm

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Your best place for the really spergy data is actually the FIA website. It's buried behind a few links but you can get all the press releases, timing data, even trackside press department phone numbers if you want them

http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-one-world-championship/season-2016/event-timing-information-5

E: but keep it on the down-low so they don't hide it away

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

poty posted:

F1 is dead

Long Live F1

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

I could have sworn they did for 2014, but no one wanted to use it.

yeah i mentioned that above, they released like a rendering of their V6t but no one was interested. and i'm not sure if how they would have gone about building the hybrid bits, that's why i suggested working with another company. it would help a lot if people would stop freaking out, let the regulations mature, then the FIA can do as they always do and standardize some parts. that'd make it a lot easier for new engine suppliers.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
It's sad to see Rosberg going back to his Spa 2014 tricks, running Lewis off the track and then cutting him off. This time he failed at destroying his front wing though. Would have been nice to see the stewards do something about it. Besides cheering for their favourite driver, Nico Rosberg, I mean.

And then the italians just forgot that the medium tyre existed, even though they had a 20 minute red flag period to work out their strategy. Right. The fix is in

poty fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Zanael posted:

As a french NASCAR enthusiast....
Mods?

• Locked thread