Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Spanish Manlove posted:

Saint Somewhere makes some good rear end saisons and they really do taste better when in green bottles for some reason. Just a tiny bit of skunk really brings out the funk.

Saint Somewhere: A Tiny Bit Of Skunk, Brings Out The Funk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MunchE posted:

Saint Somewhere: A Tiny Bit Of Skunk, Brings Out The Funk

The bottles taste so much better than on draft, doubly so when they've sat on the shelf for two years because nobody likes farmhouses down here unless they're hyped to all hell.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Spanish Manlove posted:

The bottles taste so much better than on draft, doubly so when they've sat on the shelf for two years because nobody likes farmhouses down here unless they're hyped to all hell.

We got a ton of Saint Somewhere a few years ago in Philly and it just sat on shelves forever. I had a couple and thought they ranged from decent to very good but gently caress if I can remember what the names of the good ones were because all their labels are the same. Marketing and packaging are things that a lot of people in the beer industry haven't grasped yet I guess.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HatfulOfHollow posted:

We got a ton of Saint Somewhere a few years ago in Philly and it just sat on shelves forever. I had a couple and thought they ranged from decent to very good but gently caress if I can remember what the names of the good ones were because all their labels are the same. Marketing and packaging are things that a lot of people in the beer industry haven't grasped yet I guess.

Cynthiana, Saison Athene, and Serge are the ones I know off off hand that I think are worth writing about but yeah their downfall is their marketing and packaging. Hopefully with the recent/upcoming expansion they'll do a better job at it. At least the new ones they have coming out all have different labels.

I might play them up as being the best things ever but they're a solid 8/10 to 6/10 but being cheap bombers that used to be easy to find means I like them a lot. Also Bob Sylvester's a nice guy and they deserve to at least be better thought of than "sleeper hit."

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
There was literally a Malort beer at Hunahpu day. There may have been multiples.

I went to Brouwers and Fremont yesterday. I'll probably go somewhere else tonight. I wanna hit up Canon before nippon.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

Jerome Louis posted:

Randomly decided to go to the beer shop today here in norcal and they had Jester King Le Petit Prince and Simple Means, Toolbox Bog Sauce, and Cantillon Gueuze. A good day.

Sounds like we go to the same shop or we all got the same stuff, except no cantillon at mine :(

Also saw Sump for the first time ever but looked at the price tag and put it back and grabbed 2 more city of the dead for the same $ instead.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005

LeafHouse posted:

A friend snagged me a group D ticket so I'll be there. Drop me a PM or if a bunch of other goons are going we can get an email chain going for some meetups. Fingers crossed for decent weather. Surely it can't be lovely for the 3rd year in a row!

Agreed about the weather. I got group B's again this year, and I've already resigned myself to the fact that BVDL is going to be gone, but I have fun at the event every year anyway.

I usually get there around 7:30, 8am and do the whole line bottle share thing on the south side. If ya'll goons want to meet up, lets get together for some shares.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

zonacat posted:

Sounds like we go to the same shop or we all got the same stuff, except no cantillon at mine :(

Also saw Sump for the first time ever but looked at the price tag and put it back and grabbed 2 more city of the dead for the same $ instead.

Corti bros... Love that place. Todd was almost out when I was there. I also saw Sump on the shelf at Curtis Park market for $16.99, but yeah I'd rather have something else :p

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I decided tonight was the night for me to try a bunch of beers that I've had my eye on for a while.

They are:

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

There was literally a Malort beer at Hunahpu day. There may have been multiples.

I went to Brouwers and Fremont yesterday. I'll probably go somewhere else tonight. I wanna hit up Canon before nippon.

I'm in Seattle too. I only went to Pinebox last time, so Brouwers is top on my list. Was Fremont worth going too? Any other brew pubs that offer something I can't get in Portland?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Pine Box is my fave bar in Seattle, stop by there too!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spanish Manlove posted:

Cynthiana, Saison Athene, and Serge are the ones I know off off hand that I think are worth writing about but yeah their downfall is their marketing and packaging. Hopefully with the recent/upcoming expansion they'll do a better job at it. At least the new ones they have coming out all have different labels.

I might play them up as being the best things ever but they're a solid 8/10 to 6/10 but being cheap bombers that used to be easy to find means I like them a lot. Also Bob Sylvester's a nice guy and they deserve to at least be better thought of than "sleeper hit."

Cynthiana is one of my all time favorite saisons. I highly recommend it.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Just got back from the Lickinghole Creek's Illuminatos release. A pretty drat good beer. Also had plenty of Heir Apparent on tap, which is currently one of my favorites.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
improper glassware.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Clean your glass and you won't get so much foam.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

funkybottoms posted:

improper glassware.

Uh, mayybe you haven't been paying attention to the beer scene (which is understandable, there are only a few real beer connoisseurs these days), but this is the champagne of beers

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Control Volume posted:

Uh, mayybe you haven't been paying attention to the beer scene (which is understandable, there are only a few real beer connoisseurs these days), but this is the champagne of beers

Then put it in a champagne glass...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

danbanana posted:

Then put it in a champagne glass...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

better; i drank 12% coffee stout out of a mug at 845 this morning

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

funkybottoms posted:

better; i drank 12% coffee stout out of a mug at 845 this morning

Yeah but it's coffee. Proper glassware

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Let me get right in on the ground floor of hype for Sloop Brewing. They're gonna explode soon, I bet. Had their Black Razz and Sauer Peach, both excelling in fruit juice presence and mild tartness. Beer nerd nectar. And in cans nonetheless. A+.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

a worthy uhh posted:

Let me get right in on the ground floor of hype for Sloop Brewing. They're gonna explode soon, I bet. Had their Black Razz and Sauer Peach, both excelling in fruit juice presence and mild tartness. Beer nerd nectar. And in cans nonetheless. A+.

Had both of these a few years back and they were very good. If they are packaging now I can see the hype train leaving the station as we speak

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Jerome Louis posted:

Corti bros... Love that place. Todd was almost out when I was there. I also saw Sump on the shelf at Curtis Park market for $16.99, but yeah I'd rather have something else :p

My Corti Bros. process:

1. Order sandwich
2. Go look at beer
3. realize I need a basket to hold all this beer and sandwich
4. checkout
5. (days later) listen to wife complain about $50 trip to Corti Bros's that yielded no groceries, just 1 sandwich and a bunch of beer

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Cnidario posted:

Just got back from the Lickinghole Creek's Illuminatos release. A pretty drat good beer. Also had plenty of Heir Apparent on tap, which is currently one of my favorites.

Nice, I was there too. You try Coconut Illuminatos? It was cold as poo poo outside and I was improperly dressed but I thiiiink it might just beat Coconut Resolute. It's super tasty.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

coronaball posted:

My Corti Bros. process:

1. Order sandwich
2. Go look at beer
3. realize I need a basket to hold all this beer and sandwich
4. checkout
5. (days later) listen to wife complain about $50 trip to Corti Bros's that yielded no groceries, just 1 sandwich and a bunch of beer

But it looks better to have grocery store charges on your card rather than total wine or the bottle shop.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Are you gonna cuvee them into the bucket and ladle it out?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The beer scene is about trying new things, after al....

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

Are you gonna cuvee them into the bucket and ladle it out?

pretty much my exact thought

someone (danbanana?) mentioned how well 2013 BCBBW is drinking now and, yeah, they were right- it's still sweet, but it honestly seems less sweet than it was fresh, and there's a leathery, tobacco-ish flavor that i don't remember being so prominent. otherwise, all the classic English barleywine flavors- toffee, raisin, dark fruit, burnt sugar- in all the right places, with a nice touch of vanilla from the barrel aging. sad that i only have two more; might have to do something about that.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dumb pictures aside where the Frick do I find Zundert or Tre Fontane or the one trappist beer thats allergic to paper labels in the good ol US of A

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Don't bother, just drink Rochefort

Westvleteren has to be imported/bought on the grey market, it doesn't get distro to US other than "brick" gift boxes every year or so.

But really just drink Rochefort

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
They still do the bricks for the US? I thought that was a one time thing.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

dphi posted:

They still do the bricks for the US? I thought that was a one time thing.

There were at least 2 different ones in the past few years AFAIK

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
What are the must haves at Brouwers?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

a worthy uhh posted:

There were at least 2 different ones in the past few years AFAIK

If your bottle shops are anything like the shops around here who got those Westy bricks, they probably just held them back for a special event like a black Friday release or something along those lines. 12.12.12 was the only time those were actually released in the US, for the very specific purpose of funding renovations to the monastery. But as was stated above, just get Rochefort and don't sweat tracking down the Westy bottle. The difference isn't enough to justify the price.

Also Control Volume you're missing St. Bernardus 12 so you might as well give up.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You can't go to a liquor store here without tripping over a St Bernardus bomber, dont sass me

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
made a last-minute decision to drive up to DC with my girlfriend on a freak Sunday off, currently sharing a bottle of Grimm Bourbon Barrel Double Negative from the bottle list at Churchkey. suck it, nerds

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

What are the must haves at Brouwers?

Lambic lambic lambic :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

poop dood posted:

Nice, I was there too. You try Coconut Illuminatos? It was cold as poo poo outside and I was improperly dressed but I thiiiink it might just beat Coconut Resolute. It's super tasty.

I didn't try any of the coconut stuff - my friend tried it and said it was great.