Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Just finished reading 600 posts and I gotta say. Helsing's posts own so hard. Especially about the TPP stuff.
PT6A..... Not so much

I'm excited to read about that Iriving series posted a while back. I just moved to New Brunswick to attend school here and it's incredible how ubiquitous the Irving's really are. I don't think people outside of New Brunswick really realize that. You literally can not go a a mile without being in contact with something that is owned by the Irving's. Be it a business, land, newspaper etc.
It's sad to see a whole province like New Brunswick held hostage by a single business. NB is a beautiful place filled with great people. And even though they have been given a poo poo hand and maintain a very rural culture, it's surprising how decent the people are. But I am comparing them to my fellow Albertan's, whom are garbage.

It's interesting to consider what NB would be like without the Irvings. But it seems it's in the perfect position to be a powerhouse. Lots of resources, ports, close to Quebec, Ontario, Eastern Seaboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
At least when the revolution comes you'll only have one family of ogliarchs to deal with.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Well? What about him, leftards?!?!! :smuggo:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
God, Levant is such a loser.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kafka Esq. posted:

God, Levant is such a loser.

Rebel Commander Levant

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
poo poo, I forgot about that. He needs a loving power wedgie.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Kafka Esq. posted:

poo poo, I forgot about that. He needs a loving power wedgie.

They only make him stronger.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Like many rebel leaders Levant was forced to participate in the sordid drug trade to fund his insurgency.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Also as with all courageous, honest rebels, Levant has accumulated six figures' worth of payouts to various people who accused him of libel. In his classiest case, he was ordered to pay some $57k to a Human Rights Commission lawyer.

It warms my heart to know that we have a bold rebel insurgency that is speaking in reckless disregard of the truth in order to defame people who oversee and enforce anti-discrimination laws.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
It would be interesting if Ezra was a special unlockable character in the hugely popular 'Dance Dance Karnov'.

At any rate, thanks for the info on Quebec city politics. It's one of the few places in the province we have little family ties to.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/maple-ridge-residents-rally-against-planned-homeless-shelter-1.3499697

quote:

Maple Ridge residents rally against planned homeless shelter
Province plans to turn vacant Quality Inn hotel into a homeless shelter

Hundreds of Maple Ridge residents rallied Saturday in opposition to the planned conversion of a vacant hotel into a homeless shelter.

The provincial government is in the process of buying the Quality Inn Hotel along Lougheed Highway near 217 Street for $5.5 million. The facility would then be run by B.C. Housing as what's termed a permanent low barrier shelter — meaning addicts would be able to use drugs on the premises.

That has area residents concerned about what it will mean for their community.

"It's going to enable them. It's going to make it easier for them to do what they do and continue doing it," said area resident Sandra Trainer. "It's not a solution."

Other residents say the province should have done a better job consulting with them on the plan.

"There has been no process for public input. No impact study," said Caroline Madsen. "And, no neighbourhood consultation."

Former Maple Ridge mayor Ernie Daykin says homelessness has been a longstanding problem in the city, but has worsened since the closure of the Riverview Hospital in 2012.

"This is an important issue. not only for Maple Ridge but for other communities. It's a problem and challenge that's been 25 years in the making," said Daykin.

Last summer, a homeless camp set up by squatters led to eviction notices. A temporary shelter was set up downtown but is set to close this June.

No city councillors were among the hundreds who turned out at yesterday's rally.

B.C. Housing has committed to holding a community forum on the matter, but a date has yet to be announced.

just vancouverites being vancouverites :shrug:

lovely people

great comments tho

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How come these homeless get to do drugs legallly but we cant even smoke weed

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
how come you haven't choked on your own tongue yet?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Was it in Vancouver where they put up that fake homeless shelter and filmed the reactions of the locals to its construction? I remember there was footage of people crying when they thought it was real. My equity :qq:!!!!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If even half of the stories I've heard about Patrick Brown are true I would be amazed if there wasn't a major scandal within a year.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Frosted Flake posted:

If even half of the stories I've heard about Patrick Brown are true I would be amazed if there wasn't a major scandal within a year.

What kind of odds would you lay me if I wanted to bet he'll be the next premier?

Also, Troooooodeaumania!

quote:

Last Thursday, while the Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was being feted with the pomp and luxury of a state dinner in Washington D.C., his government quietly leaked the fact that the Liberal platform had underfunded its promise to First Nations youth by as much as $1.7 billion. It was such a masterful stroke of political damage control by communications staffers that its release was spun into a headline entitled “Trudeau Looking to Improve State of First Nations Education,” and only the journalists at APTN have taken the time to seriously dig into the fiscal sleight of hand.

The anonymous federal source who leaked the information to the media tried to lay the blame squarely on former prime minister Stephen Harper, claiming that his government had “secretly” removed $1.25 billion from the government’s ledgers of which the Liberals could not have possibly been aware. The problem with this claim is that NDP MP Charlie Angus raised this exact concern during the last election campaign, noting that the Liberal plan relied on $1.7 billion of pre-existing funding over the 2016-17 to 2019-20 period that could not be guaranteed. No other political party’s platform relied on this pot of money, nor was there any indication of its existence in the three primary sets of government fiscal documentation: the Main Estimates, the Public Accounts, or the Reports on Plans and Priorities. Even if it were to exist, there was no guarantee that the money had not been re-profiled over a much longer time horizon.

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/can-the-liberals-keep-their-promise-to-first-nations-youth/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Trees and Squids posted:

Was it in Vancouver where they put up that fake homeless shelter and filmed the reactions of the locals to its construction? I remember there was footage of people crying when they thought it was real. My equity :qq:!!!!

That was Toronto

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Noted bigot and generally lovely person Marine Le Pen was allowed into Canada for some reason, and while here she decided to warn us that letting Syrians into the country could lead to total chaos.

quote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/france-s-le-pen-criticizes-canada-s-immigration-policy-during-quebec-city-visit-1.2824947

Le Pen says Canada's political leaders have shown little regard for the consequences of their decisions. She says the consequences could include accelerating the demands of religious minorities, such as providing space for prayer or the establishment of religious courts. "A multicultural society is a society in conflict," said the French politician, who is spending the next few days in Quebec.

A handful of protesters showed up outside at the Quebec City hotel ahead of Le Pen's news conference. They unfurled banners denouncing her party and shouted insults, including the claim she is responsible for the rise of racism in France. Her party has been described by its critics as xenophobic due to its strong stance against mass immigration to France. Le Pen responded to the protesters by calling them kids who should go to bed. The group left after one of their members was struck by Le Pen's bodyguard.

When questioned about Quebec's independence movement, Le Pen said she was a member of a party that defends sovereignty, and compared France's battle with the European Union to that of Quebec with Ottawa. Later, in an interview, she said if her party were to take power in France, it would recognize Quebec as a state on the international scene.

:supaburn: SPACE FOR PRAYER? WELL GLORY BE!

To his credit, PKP welcomed her the way one welcomes a snotty kleenex floating in their latte.

quote:

"On behalf of the Parti Quebecois, I want to formally disassociate our party and these instances of activities and meetings, at personal initiative, with this party whose history, doctrines, and proposals are at odds with the values of the Parti Quebecois," he wrote.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah I've heard things.

I was going to post links but they aren't as easy to find with Google as they were six months ago. Curious that.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Thursday is Ghomeshi day, Monday is VRX LOL and -30B Budget day. Seems like it's going to be a good week for Canada.

Someone get those Albertan's who want a bailout to comment on bailing out Bombardier, and then Valeant pls.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Yeah I've heard things.

I was going to post links but they aren't as easy to find with Google as they were six months ago. Curious that.

I'm curious to see how he tries to clean up his image. It's a good thing Barrie is a small town, his nightlife activities there would be harder to hide in Toronto or Ottawa.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm curious to see how he tries to clean up his image. It's a good thing Barrie is a small town, his nightlife activities there would be harder to hide in Toronto or Ottawa.

Was he the one that had a habit of buying drinks for underage girls?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Everyone should listen to Charlie Angus.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Double post why not

quote:

Good Monday morning to you.

We’re one day out from budget day. Although the country’s economic outlook is a bit dim and the federal government deficit projection now hovers around $30 billion, the Liberals insist their inaugural budget will follow through on many – if not all – of their big-ticket election vows. As CP’s Andy Blatchford reports, the political message weaved throughout it will be: “reducing inequality while laying the groundwork for long-term economic growth.” Those election promises included billions of dollars for economy-boosting measures, such as an enhanced child-benefit plan and infrastructure spending.

After Earth Hour on Saturday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau took to Twitter to hint climate action would be on the books, while housing and anti-poverty advocates say it will also include added funding for affordable housing projects.

Overall, Canadians will see a "fundamentally different approach to the economy," Francois-Philippe Champagne, the parliamentary secretary to the minister of finance, told CTV’s Question Period yesterday.

Although he hasn’t had a hand in drafting this federal budget, NDP Leader Tom Mulcair has changed his tune from the election campaign and now says he would consider a deficit if it allowed the government to help Canadians and to meet other NDP commitments. That comes ahead of his party’s decision around whether to endorse his leadership amid some supporters’ criticism of his ‘right wing’ leanings.

The Canadian Press has learned that “the federal cabinet will soon be asked to make an initial down payment on the navy’s $104-billion frigate replacement program with an approval that will lay the groundwork for the new fleet.” The government will be asked to approve requirements for the new warships and cost tradeoffs, as well as first-stage funding, which will allow defence planners to get the ball rolling. Murray Brewster has more.

So this could get awkward fast for the feds. With its hand out asking for a billion-dollar bailout from Canadian taxpayers, Bombardier is pushing to shift major chunks of work on its Toronto-built Q400 turboprop planes to Mexico and China. As the Globe reports, that’s a move that would see about 200 jobs chopped at a factory near Toronto. Doesn’t exactly say ‘Thanks for saving our rumps,’ now does it?

If Canada is looking to thaw chilly relations with Russia, a proposed international agreement to ban fishing around the North Pole could be just the thing to heat things up, says a top arctic and international law expert said this weekend. Our Ainslie Cruickshank has more.

It’s fair to say former broadcasters haven’t had the best track record on Parliament Hill. Pamela Wallin. Mike Duffy… they’ve fallen short of doing their former profession proud. Now, other broadcasters turned politicians are playing a key role in the House of Commons heritage committee’s study on the state of local media in Canada. “Next they’ll be allowing the lawyers and teachers into politics as well,” joked MP Seamus O’Regan.

Still with Tories that lost their way… At an event called “Conservative Futures” on the weekend in Barrie, Ontario Conservative Leader Patrick Brown was among the few willing to look critically at the past, specifically last fall’s federal election. With six current Conservative MPs in attendance, all of whom are at least exploring the possibility of running for the leadership, the Ontario premier and former MP said the party lost its way during the campaign, particularly around the niqab and defending minorities. Our BJ Siekierski has that story.

Marine Le Pen might disagree, however. The head of France’s right-wing Front national party was in Quebec City on the weekend and said Canada is on the wrong path with its immigration policy. Being so welcoming to Syrian refugees is “erroneous,” she insisted, adding that Canada’s political leaders have shown little regard for the consequences of their decisions. As for the protestors outside her news conference who deem her views erroneous, she dismissed their behaviour as being unacceptable for a democracy, telling them, “Away children, go back to bed.”

In Saskatchewan, NDP Leader Cam Broten has broken out the fighting words on the campaign trail and called the Saskatchewan Party’s platform ‘boring.’

Here and there:

Statistics Canada releases an overview of immigrant business ownership and the associated job creation in Canada (2001-2010).
Governor General David Johnston meets with Filippo Grandi, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.
UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi, addresses media on the challenges faced by his office and the international community to protect and assist refugees and displaced people.
The Senate internal economy, budgets and administrations committee releases Senate arbitrator Ian Binnie’s report on the 14 Senators who challenged auditor general Michael Ferguson's 2015 audit on inappropriate Senate spending.
Opposition Leader Rona Ambrose appears at an Economic Club of Canada event to outline what the opposition wants to see in the federal budget, her vision for job growth and the importance of accountable spending for Canadian taxpayers.
The Senate national security and defence committee meets to examine and report on Canada's national security and defence policies, practices, circumstances and capabilities. The committee also discusses security threats facing Canada.
Question period in the House of Commons gets underway at 2:15 p.m.
Department of Health officials appear at Commons committee to give a briefing on the 2015 Canada Health Act Annual Report and the status of Canada's health care system.
Catherine Cano, president, Cable Public Affairs Channel, appears at Commons official languages committee to give a briefing on the mandate and the vocation of CPAC.
Agriculture Minister Lawrence MacAulay appears at Commons committee to provide a briefing on the Department of Agriculture and his mandate letter. Also Main Estimates 2016-17: Votes 1, 5 and 10 under Agriculture and Agri-Food, Vote 1 under Canadian Dairy Commission and Vote 1 under Canadian Grain Commission.
Official Languages commissioner Graham Fraser appears at Senate committee hearing witnesses on the application of the Official Languages Act and of the regulations and directives made under it, within those institutions subject to the Act.
WaterAid Canada marks World Water Day by releasing a report on the state of the world's water.
Margaret Trudeau among speakers discussing mental health at a Walrus event in Calgary.

Yesterday, Barack Obama stepped off Air Force One and into the history books, as the first American president to visit Cuba in 88 years. Calvin Coolidge was the last to do so in 1928. The move marks an end to the Cold War-era estrangement between the two countries and the latest move to restore normal relations.

With his family and a huge delegation in tow, Obama tweeted: “¿Que bolá Cuba? Just touched down here, looking forward to meeting and hearing directly from the Cuban people.”

The president will meet with Cuban leader Raul Castro today and tomorrow, the pair will take in a baseball game between the beloved national Cuban team and Major League Baseball's Tampa Bay Rays.

Back on the American campaign trail, things continue to ratchet up and spiral downward as Donald Trump supporters clashed with protestors outside a rally in Utah. In Arizona, protestors showed up at every event and blocked the main road into his outdoor rally for several hours before it started. The Republican candidate is refusing to condemn violence at his rallies. He insists “professional agitators” are to blame, while video shows a protestor being beaten and another apparently being grabbed by his campaign manager Corey Lewandowski. Trump is also still warning that there will be riots in the streets if the Republican Party denied him the nomination.

With the Democratic nomination looking much tamer in comparison, Politico looks at how Hillary Clinton’s allies are learning to live with the Bern. Yes they want him to concede, but it turns out he’s a bit of a rival with benefits.

Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam has told investigators that he was planning new operations from Brussels and possibly had access to several weapons, Belgium's foreign minister said Sunday.

Finally, when your ‘Trump supporter starter kit’ comes in the mail…

International

Asian stocks slip as oil skids; dollar steady (Reuters)
Obama lands in Cuba for three-day visit, calls it a ‘historic opportunity’ (Toronto Star)
North Korea 'fires short-range missiles' into sea (BBC News)
Joe Biden tries to reassure supporters of Israel of U.S. commitment (CBC News)
Senate won’t consider Supreme Court nomination even after election: McConnell (Toronto Star)

National

Arctic fishing ban could help warm relations with Russia, says expert (iPolitics)
France's Le Pen criticizes Canadian immigration, refugee policy (Reuters)

Atlantic

Tax on sugary drinks not best way to improve health: N.L. Senator (CBC News)

Prairies

Manitoba Liberals to invest in drug treatment program if elected (CBC News)
Provincial NDP leader calls Saskatchewan Party’s election platform ‘boring’ (Canadian Press)
NDP candidate Wab Kinew launches campaign in Winnipeg (CBC News)
Selinger in attendance as Kinew launches campaign (Winnipeg Free Press)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

infernal machines posted:

Was he the one that had a habit of buying drinks for underage girls?

Among other things.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Among other things.

Dish!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Paging Snarky Westerners

https://mobile.twitter.com/gmbutts/status/711268387884810241

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Have you guys ever heard of the Duplessis Orphans?

Hahaha, I'd heard the word before and a vague idea that it was something really terrible, but holy poo poo. That's some dark stuff.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I know it's a silly thing to even comment on but I really loving hate it when politicians lie so blatantly. I honestly don't see how it would hurt Mulcair to just straight up admit he is changing his position to try and save his job. In a saner system it wouldn't be fatal for a party leader to admit that they were adopting the positions that their membership wanted them to adopt. But since our society doesn't actually trust democracy and is obsessed with "strong leadership" any time a politician changes their stance they have to pretend that they believed this all along, since apparently being a leader means pretending that you never alter your positions or make mistakes.

Hearing Mulcair say "Oh I was in the NDP all along despite being a cabinet minister in one of the worst governments in Quebecs history!" or hearing him claim "oh actually when we said we would run balanced budgets from day one regardless of circumstances, we actually meant we would do the opposite if the situation changed" is just so pathetic. It's like he think's that he needs to keep projecting some aura of infallibility, as though every one of his mistakes wasn't really a mistake if you look at it closely enough, and everyone one of his retreats or compromises or rightward movements was just in the eye of the beholder and totally not a conscious strategy on his part.

One of the more interesting contrasts I've heard people make between Clinton and Sanders over in the USA is that Clinton talks endlessly about herself, about her biography, about her qualifications, about her hard decision making, about her knowledge and experience, etc. whereas Sanders mostly talks about his followers, his ideas, the movement he wants to build, the 'Revolution' that he's supposedly fighting for, etc. I would really love it if Canada had some political leaders who emulated Sanders rather than Clinton and talked about their ideas and followers instead of themselves. I don't give a poo poo how many people they had in their family growing up or what their grandfather went through immigrating to the country or the tough decisions they made in their previous job half as much as I care about their actual worldview and their relationship to the people who got them elected.

quote:

Mulcair would consider a deficit if it allows government to help Canadians

GLORIA GALLOWAY
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail
Published Sunday, Mar. 20, 2016 8:49PM EDT
Last updated Sunday, Mar. 20, 2016 8:51PM EDT

Tom Mulcair campaigned on the promise to balance the federal budget but, as New Democrats decide whether to endorse his continued leadership of their party, he says he believes in running deficits when they are required to meet other NDP commitments.

There is significant disappointment among rank-and-file party workers about the results of the October election, which saw the New Democrats drop from first place in the polls to a distant third behind both the Conservatives and the winning Liberals. Many blame Mr. Mulcair, saying the platform he offered strayed too far from the traditional socialist values upon which the NDP was founded.

As he fights to persuade delegates to an NDP convention in Edmonton early next month that he should be the one to lead the party into the next election, Mr. Mulcair told The Globe and Mail on Saturday that the promise of a balanced budget is good only if it does not impede a government’s ability to help Canadians in need.

“What we put on the table in the last campaign was based on the known economic situation then,” the NDP Leader said after meeting in an Ottawa Legion hall with a little more than a hundred party members.

“If the economic situation today required us to run a deficit to be able to do the types of things that we have promised to do to help people,” he said, “that’s what we would do.”

In a postelection analysis, party president Rebecca Blaikie wrote that the pledge to balance the budget made the NDP seem “cautious” at a time when the Liberals and their leader, Justin Trudeau, were providing greater contrast between themselves and the Conservatives. Critics within the party say Mr. Muclair ceded the left-leaning vote to Mr. Trudeau.

Now the NDP Leader, who has been travelling the country to talk with small groups of New Democrats – he has had about 50 such meetings in recent months, by his own count – must persuade those who will decide his fate that he remains the best voice for their convictions.

Under Mr. Mulcair’s watch, the preamble of the NDP’s constitution was changed to remove a commitment to apply “democratic socialist principles to government.” But Mr. Mulcair says he is “not a bit” squeamish about the word socialist.

“I am a democratic socialist. I am a social democrat,” he said. “Essentially what I want to make sure is that the institutions in our society serve people. Sometimes it means public ownership.”

A small number of New Democrats – mostly from the far left – have stepped forward in recent days to say it is time for Mr. Mulcair to step aside. And, while no one in his caucus has questioned whether he deserves to continue as leader, the support of some New Democratic politicians has been tepid.

Three former NDP MPs from Quebec published a letter in Montreal’s Le Devoir newspaper last week saying the party has “forgotten its raison d’être and the values it has always incarnated,” which was seen by some as a veiled call for Mr. Mulcair’s removal.

On the other hand, prominent British Columbia MP Peter Julian said in a column in that province’s The Tyee that he would be voting against holding a new leadership race. “We need to push back in Parliament on behalf of all Canadians against a government that has already thrown aside so many of its solemn commitments to those same Canadians,” wrote Mr. Julian. “And we need Tom Mulcair leading that fight.”

Mr. Mulcair came to the federal New Democrats after spending years as a Liberal member of the Quebec National Assembly, some of them as a cabinet minister. But, he said Saturday, that was because there is no NDP at the provincial level in Quebec.

“I joined the NDP in 1974. I voted NDP,” he said. “In terms of the environment, in terms of social issues, I have worked on this all my life.”

A poll of 1,500 Canadians conducted last week by Abacus Data suggested that the Liberal government has made a positive impression among respondents who voted for the NDP, 55 per cent of whom said they approved of the government’s performance.

When Mr. Mulcair was asked whether he is concerned that delegates to his party’s convention will be looking at the popularity of the Liberals and questioning whether he can compete, he said New Democrats will endorse him because they know he will be their champion against inequality.

“They know that I am that fighter,” he said.

“They know that I can stand up for government. But they also know that I can champion our core values of solidarity, of wanting to remove inequality in our society, of creating a society that is more fair.”

The one thing that did make me feel a bit sorry for Mulcair (or maybe, more accurately, makes me despair a bit for the NDP) is the fact that just over half the party's voters are dumb enough to approve of the Trudeau government. That says a lot about why Canadian leaders treat their constituents with such contempt -- because they can get away with it most of the time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Politicians can't admit mistakes or changing opinions because then they lose all their powers. It's their kryptonite.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
uh, excuse me, Rob Ford admitted to probably doing crack (details only blurry due to blackout drunkenness) and still holds public office in Toronto, so your argument doesn't hold up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I voted NDP last election specifically because of Peter Julian in New Westminster, he's a fantastic person and politician and one of the hardest working and most honest MPs in Ottawa. But, I had to hold my nose while doing it because of loving Mulcair and his balanced budget poo poo. I hope the NDP dumps him, somehow.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

peter banana posted:

uh, excuse me, Rob Ford admitted to probably doing crack (details only blurry due to blackout drunkenness) and still holds public office in Toronto, so your argument doesn't hold up.

Close, he admitted that he doesn't remember doing crack.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
The Toronto Star is reporting that Rob Ford has gone into palliative care.

Politics or no politics, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Awful thing to have to go through.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Have you guys ever heard of the Duplessis Orphans?

Hahaha, I'd heard the word before and a vague idea that it was something really terrible, but holy poo poo. That's some dark stuff.

gently caress that's depressing. The article starts out sounding kinda positive too: "we can't get federal funding for orphanages, but we sure can get it for psychiatric patients. So we'll just use this One Weird Trick (Federal governments hate it!) to reclassify all of these orphans as mentally ill, then we can actually provide for them..."

But this being the same country that gave us residential schools, of course it was never going to work out that way.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

St. Dogbert posted:

Politics or no politics, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Awful thing to have to go through.

He's actually sedated rn, I wonder if they will release a cause of death. Everyone dies, don't be sad and celebrate his outlandish life.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

St. Dogbert posted:

Yeah :(. He may have been a lying, crooked bully who allegedly might've had a hand in some extortiony/gangstery stuff but nobody deserves that. Must suck for the guy's poor family, too.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

CLAM DOWN posted:

I voted NDP last election specifically because of Peter Julian in New Westminster, he's a fantastic person and politician and one of the hardest working and most honest MPs in Ottawa. But, I had to hold my nose while doing it because of loving Mulcair and his balanced budget poo poo. I hope the NDP dumps him, somehow.

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2016/03/19/We-Need-Tom-Mulcair/

lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

God loving dammit I hate this country sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Helsing posted:

I know it's a silly thing to even comment on but I really loving hate it when politicians lie so blatantly. I honestly don't see how it would hurt Mulcair to just straight up admit he is changing his position to try and save his job. In a saner system it wouldn't be fatal for a party leader to admit that they were adopting the positions that their membership wanted them to adopt. But since our society doesn't actually trust democracy and is obsessed with "strong leadership" any time a politician changes their stance they have to pretend that they believed this all along, since apparently being a leader means pretending that you never alter your positions or make mistakes.

I don't even know how to figure it out (and politician switch opinion affect approval got me nowhere), but that seems like a common sense thing that isn't actually true. I'd figure people would care more about the current position with a weighting according to how trustworthy they think the person is.

I wouldn't trust Mulcair's switch but that's because he's had that position on the way finances should be run for a long time and he made it the centrepiece of the campaign.