Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I'll admit, Yume and Ranta were the ones that surprised me most this episode. Yume's hobby is pretty hardcore, while Ranta's is a lot more laid-back than I'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know, Haru really lacks the personality for either a thief, or a leader. There is no way he could keep up with Yume. He gets along way better with Mary.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

You know, Haru really lacks the personality for either a thief, or a leader. There is no way he could keep up with Yume. He gets along way better with Mary.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
... well, that episode brought a whole new meaning to skill grinding.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I agree, Yume is better suited to Ranta. And speaking of Yume´s VA:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Ka0 posted:

I was a bit surprised they had the scene with Haru & Yume comforting each other after Manato's death. Even early on, I had already thought they were angling for a Ranta and Yume thing. That's a more fun pair so I'm glad if they're going back in that direction, and Mary's a great partner for Haru as well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's a LN, so it's a harem by default until proven otherwise. Likewise, Ranta presumptively exists simply to make Haruhiro seem charming and attractive in comparison. I did like the fact that their class-roles made Yume and Haruhiro naturally spend more time alone together though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I was a bit surprised they had the scene with Haru & Yume comforting each other after Manato's death. Even early on, I had already thought they were angling for a Ranta and Yume thing. That's a more fun pair so I'm glad if they're going back in that direction, and Mary's a great partner for Haru as well.

Yeah, I was pretty much sold on the Haruhiro x Yume romance because of that scene, but no it turns out it's Hal x Mary. They transitioned it well though.

I'm glad we're getting a bit more about the characters. I was pretty surprised by Yume's hobby, and also surprised that people in fantasyland have climbing equipment. Ranta's chill fishing hobby fits pretty well for him. I also like how Haruhiro isn't quite sure what he's supposed to do. For me it suggests that maybe his hobby is something specifically related to modern Japan, or maybe he's such a chill dude that he would just hang out at cafe's all day. Either way, I absolutely loved that laid-back first half of the episode.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Clarste posted:

It's a LN, so it's a harem by default until proven otherwise. Likewise, Ranta presumptively exists simply to make Haruhiro seem charming and attractive in comparison. I did like the fact that their class-roles made Yume and Haruhiro naturally spend more time alone together though.

If that were the case, they wouldn't have made Manato and Moguzo such rad dudes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, I was pretty much sold on the Haruhiro x Yume romance because of that scene, but no it turns out it's Hal x Mary. They transitioned it well though.

I'm glad we're getting a bit more about the characters. I was pretty surprised by Yume's hobby, and also surprised that people in fantasyland have climbing equipment. Ranta's chill fishing hobby fits pretty well for him. I also like how Haruhiro isn't quite sure what he's supposed to do. For me it suggests that maybe his hobby is something specifically related to modern Japan, or maybe he's such a chill dude that he would just hang out at cafe's all day. Either way, I absolutely loved that laid-back first half of the episode.

Mary's type however is Moguzo according to her however.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Phobophilia posted:

If that were the case, they wouldn't have made Manato and Moguzo such rad dudes

Manato was also Haruhiro's love interest.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Clarste posted:

it's true

though any harem theories fell apart since Shihoru was/is only interested in Manato

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The harem theory works, but the protagonist was Manato

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

Manato was everyone's love interest.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Ka0 posted:

Why is she smearing poo poo on her mouth? Goddamn it Japan.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Major Ricardo posted:

what

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Looks more like barbecue sauce to me. :shrug:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Major Ricardo posted:

It's chocolate, you weirdo! She tweeted it on Valentine's Day.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Major Ricardo posted:

I think if you see a pretty lady and that's what comes to your mind because of her nationality, you might want to work on your xenophobia problem.

Anyway, they sure are getting better at killing sapient beings.

Edit now that I've finished today's: oh. Oh dear.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 13, 2016

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

a kitten posted:

I think if you see a pretty lady and that's what comes to your mind because of her nationality, you might want to work on your xenophobia problem.

Anyway, they sure are getting better at killing sapient beings.

Edit now that I've finished today's: oh. Oh dear.

I kind of expected that to be the finale for this arc, but they jumped right into it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this is what ranta reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That video is slightly more dignified.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:ohdear: Tense episode all round. I hope these cute rpg babies will be alright...

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Are we down to the last 3 episodes now?

I'm gonna be really sad to see this one go

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

a kitten posted:

I could be wrong, she might be german.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
if thats the colour of your poo poo, you should see a doctor also you should stop making gaming youtube videos with a british accent

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well the title was right, Haruhiro is really poo poo as a leader.

e: for content, his attempt at "hashing out" things with Ranta just ends as him being passive aggressive because he was indecisive about how to have the confrontation. He lets little insults get under his skin during combat. Worst of all, he seems to fail at making any actual Leader-level decisions during actual points of crisis. The moment he saw dead spots he should have immediately understood that mary was having a panic attack (if he couldn't figure that out from just looking at her) and more importantly BOOK THE gently caress OUT OF THE MINE.

And they still haven't learned to use hand signals to be quiet.

I love this anime about these incompetent dumbshits.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 15, 2016

Rondino
Mar 5, 2008
The first blu-ray went on sale today, and is now out of stock on Amazon. I don't think it's selling in astronomic numbers, but it seems to have at least beaten the expectations of the people producing it. Hopefully there's a second season eventually, the series is really just getting started in the first two novels the anime is covering.

Also, I want my copy to get here so I can read the bonus mini-novel. Apparently it's about the original 6 party members getting turned into goblins.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Rondino posted:

Apparently it's about the original 6 party members getting turned into goblins.

I dunno if this is just some weird gimmick of the mini or a huge potential spoiler but uhh... might wanna cover or reword that. Or clarify. Just in case.

Rondino
Mar 5, 2008
Oh, yeah it's just a weird gimmick. The end is "but it was all a dream." I would hope they wouldn't put any huge reveals in an 80 page book that only comes attached to a $60 blu ray.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rondino posted:

Oh, yeah it's just a weird gimmick. The end is "but it was all a dream." I would hope they wouldn't put any huge reveals in an 80 page book that only comes attached to a $60 blu ray.

Just cool filler then. Got it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Holy poo poo that was an intense episode. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!

I love what a great job this show does of making the characters complex and human.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It's nice to see them progress from incompetent newbies to newbies with a minimum of coordination. Couldn't not think of this song the whole time though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ranta earning his keep

haruhiro should really spend more time acting and less time talking about how he should be acting

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Mary was dealing with grieving for her companions' death, so I get that they didn't want to interrupt, but someone really should have noticed that their fight was loud as poo poo.

Oh well, Ranta's dead unless somehow the more competent party just so happened to be down there at the same time. Also haruhiro hesitating to climb ranta probably got him killed.

But he managed to make one good leadership decision today, so thats improvement.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I never thought I'd say it but I kinda like Ranta now, I actually hope he doesn't die.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Slime posted:

I never thought I'd say it but I kinda like Ranta now, I actually hope he doesn't die.

To hell with that! Go home everybody! Hire something useful, like another warrior. Someone that doesn't cause inter-party conflict!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Great episode, they're really doing a great job with Deathspots! That's some giant poo poo-wrecking beast right there. Also funny how the kobolds kinda shrugged off Ranta's challenge and just pelted him with arrows instead.

It's really nice to see them come up with better maneuvers and stuff, especially when they're constantly being forced back themselves. That was a really nice trick with the firewall and the magic missile that the undead had there. Good thing they had that seriously :black101: move which took the warrior's arm off. This might sound weird, given how violent their first few goblin encounters were, but I think this is the first fight where actual limbs were being lopped off? Might just be because undead aren't the most durable of fellows.

A big flaming stink posted:

Also haruhiro hesitating to climb ranta probably got him killed.

Standing around and monologuing/thinking is kind of an anime staple, so I wasn't really sure how much time really was supposed to pass... But it does make Haruhiro look kinda slow :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, that wasn't completely unexpected. I really question the wisdom of sneaking down several levels if they have such a huge risk of aggroing the whole freaking instance dungeon so easily. Morons.

The undead were pretty cool though and gave some nice closure. :)

Superstring posted:

To hell with that! Go home everybody! Hire something useful, like another warrior. Someone that doesn't cause inter-party conflict!
I... kinda wouldn't miss him either. They should pick up a paladin or something that can provide secondary healing instead.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

It's really nice to see them come up with better maneuvers and stuff, especially when they're constantly being forced back themselves. That was a really nice trick with the firewall and the magic missile that the undead had there. Good thing they had that seriously :black101: move which took the warrior's arm off. This might sound weird, given how violent their first few goblin encounters were, but I think this is the first fight where actual limbs were being lopped off? Might just be because undead aren't the most durable of fellows.

Undead are like the fantasy version of robots where the heroes are allowed to cut them up into little pieces.

• Locked thread