Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

Hulk had the right idea on how to incapacitate Wolverine - make him temporarily punch drunk.

The comic panels the NFL doesn't want you to see! Christ, I think I've gotten CTE just looking at that last panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Say Nothing posted:

Hulk had the right idea on how to incapacitate Wolverine - make him temporarily punch drunk.

Does anyone have that sequence where Wolverine describes what it feels like to be hulk punched?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Say Nothing posted:

I like how Greg Pak thought he could make "Then he punches him in the face over and over until he stops moving" sound like a planned-out strategy.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
To be fair, that's the go-to plan for a surprising number of Marvel people, hero or villain.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wanderer posted:

It used to be that Cap could chuck his shield around due to practice, skill, and I think there was at least a point in time where he had magnets built into his glove and its strap. He was not yet pulling off the eight-way trick shots that he now does as a matter of course, however, and I have to blame that on "widescreen" power creep.

Movie Cap just practiced a lot off screen with Thor.

(links cause I'm too lazy to repost the images)

http://meredithmcclaren.tumblr.com/post/121778889779/i-may-have-done-a-thing-part-1-part-2-all

http://meredithmcclaren.tumblr.com/post/121778910559/i-may-have-done-a-thing-part-2-part-1-all

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I love everything about these panels.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It really is an impressive scene. Thanks, Say Nothing.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Wait so was there a point where wolverine's bones were made of adamantium instead of just encased in them?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Wait so was there a point where wolverine's bones were made of adamantium instead of just encased in them?

Comics are a superposition. All possible outcomes for each character exist simultaneously.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Is Magneto quoting something there, or is it just something Scott Lobdell made up? I can't find it online.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is Magneto quoting something there, or is it just something Scott Lobdell made up? I can't find it online.

It's from the Aeschylus play Prometheus Bound, I think

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

In either scenario, how do his tendons/ligaments/whatever attach to bones that are 100% coated in an impermeable metal?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

There was a point where Wolverine's claws were part of the adamantium skeleton and not a product of his mutation.

Lots of Wolverine was a mystery for so long that no one knew what was "canon" and just made poo poo up that eventually changed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
At the very start, Wolverine's claws were part of his gloves, in fact.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There used to be a substantial disagreement between Byrne and Claremont about how Wolverine's bones worked.

Byrne always held that Wolverine's bones had been removed and replaced with pure Adamantium duplicates, except for his spine, which was reinforced. His healing factor meant his blood cells didn't wear out, so he didn't need his bone marrow.

Claremont always held that Wolverine's bones had been structurally reinforced with Adamantium at a cellular level. They weren't as tough as "pure" Adamantium, but they were tougher than just about anything else, and they still had functioning bone marrow. When Wolverine gets killed in the "Days of Future Past" story, the calcium boiled away, leaving the Adamantium reinforcements.

In time, later writers seem to have effectively sided with Claremont, since removing the Adamantium meant there was something left to support Wolverine's body.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

At the very start, Wolverine's claws were part of his gloves, in fact.

Sort of. Everyone assumed that but then they showed them pop in an early issue. Someone was like I assumed they were part of the costume and wolverine goes nope.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Sort of. Everyone assumed that but then they showed them pop in an early issue. Someone was like I assumed they were part of the costume and wolverine goes nope.

I meant Len Wein and that original Hulk issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I meant Len Wein and that original Hulk issue.

They never showed him without the gloves on until then. Characters change based on different writers

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

They never showed him without the gloves on until then. Characters change based on different writers

Right? That's exactly what's being discussed, how different writers had different interpretations of what was going on with Wolverine, and his creator intended his claws to be part of his gloves even if that didn't actually come up until it was established they weren't.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I don't really follow Marvel or the Hulk that much, but christ, if there's any good way to say "Um, yeah, the Hulk is big", its a normal human's head being nuzzled between the knuckles of the Hulk's fist.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Toadstrieb posted:

In either scenario, how do his tendons/ligaments/whatever attach to bones that are 100% coated in an impermeable metal?

It's even more :psyduck: when you start thinking about things like red blood cell production...

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

CzarChasm posted:

poo poo, in the Ultimate universe he survived as just a head. Didn't need to breathe and yet without lungs or much of a throat he could still talk. That's straight up magic.

I'm reminded of Morag the Immortal, in Oglaf. (WARNING: in case you weren't aware, 90% of Oglaf is intensely NSFW)

when dealing with a god, Morag -- though immortal -- gets reduced to a severed head.

So she has no lungs or throat with which to talk. Which means that, in order to provide important plot information, somebody needs to blow into her trachea stump.

http://oglaf.com/furniture/3/

http://oglaf.com/bellows/

http://oglaf.com/bellows/2/

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
There is an old Marvel encyclopedia entry that showed up before with a much more realistic and frankly hardcore version of Adamatuim laced skeleton where the bones have had channels routed into four sides of them and adamantium plates are bolted into place through the bone. That looks like it was significantly more painful then hand wavy molecular bonding science and eliminates a good chunk of the questions.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

ghosthorse posted:

It's even more :psyduck: when you start thinking about things like red blood cell production...

:lol: if you think comic writers give a single poo poo about such a mundane thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

There is an old Marvel encyclopedia entry that showed up before with a much more realistic and frankly hardcore version of Adamatuim laced skeleton where the bones have had channels routed into four sides of them and adamantium plates are bolted into place through the bone. That looks like it was significantly more painful then hand wavy molecular bonding science and eliminates a good chunk of the questions.

Thing is, the very first appearance of adamantium in Marvel (a story where Ultron steals some of it to make his new body immediately after Nick Fury shows the first batch to the Avengers) showed that the only way to mold the stuff is handwavy molecular fuckery.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

MisterBibs posted:

I don't really follow Marvel or the Hulk that much, but christ, if there's any good way to say "Um, yeah, the Hulk is big", its a normal human's head being nuzzled between the knuckles of the Hulk's fist.

Spoiled a bit because it's Wolverine's head, and he's like 2/3rds the size of a human anyway.

:v:

Savage Wolverine #7

Last panel - 0/10 no ring

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Bwahahaha. "Well. poo poo. That sounded awesome, I wish I could've watched :("

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

poo poo man, the ol' Canucklehead was supposed to be a highly Evolved actual Wolverine originally. That he became 'guy with super good senses, a healing factor and metal bones+claws' actually is more sensible.

Hell, he could have ended up as an Evolved Caveman like in Marvel X books.

Plus the 70s and 80s were all about his amnesia and MYSTERIOUS past. Is he Sabretooth's son? Was his memory wiped by the Canadian government? His bones being metal, laced with metal, or reinforced is just one bit of crazy from back then.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

poo poo man, the ol' Canucklehead was supposed to be a highly Evolved actual Wolverine originally. That he became 'guy with super good senses, a healing factor and metal bones+claws' actually is more sensible.

Plus the 70s and 80s were all about his amnesia and MYSTERIOUS past. Is he Sabretooth's son? Was his memory wiped by the Canadian government? His bones being metal, laced with metal, or reinforced is just one bit of crazy from back then.

I feel like any of the above would have been much cooler than the denuded, explained, trivialized Wolverine we kind of have now (imo). It's a weird line between comics as total fantasy and the inclusion of real world perspectives, to say the least, but if the whole Achilles myth, for example, had tried to keep one foot in myth or story and another with some explanation that his genetics somehow :words: with the development of a :words: due to :words:, it would have sucked. I feel like all superheros are just MMA fighters in dumb costumes once the mystery is gone.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Bwahahaha. "Well. poo poo. That sounded awesome, I wish I could've watched :("

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRK_OMQGQlc

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

team overhead smash posted:

This is why people hate mutants.

Didn't Cyclops once unlock a car door with his punch beams just to show off?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Someone once told me that in a JLA/Avengers crossover, Superman whines that for him, even sunlight in the Marvel universe feels gross to him. Anyone have a copy of that, or know where I can find it?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

FilthyImp posted:

Comics are fun

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I kinda wish they'd kept jessica drew as a hyper-evolved spider. Talk about your existential crisis.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MisterBibs posted:

Someone once told me that in a JLA/Avengers crossover, Superman whines that for him, even sunlight in the Marvel universe feels gross to him. Anyone have a copy of that, or know where I can find it?

Is there anything that Superman didn't bitch about in that book?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O posted:

Is there anything that Superman didn't bitch about in that book?

Him and cap. It was an important plot point as they are so tied to their universes that being away from that makes them "off"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Since when is Wolverine from the deep south?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

redbackground posted:

Since when is Wolverine from the deep south?

Southern Toronto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alberta's as close to the deep south as Canada gets.