Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
There's a better than even chance my best weed connect is gonna turn out to be a didler or date rapist. Both.:nutshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Just got an email about writing an honors thesis. Unfortunately Im a second semester senior so the idea of sticking around for another half year and burning up bennies doesn't really seem to appealing. My second email was about getting a paper I wrote about the foundation of the state of Israel published in the undergrad history journal. Not really sure I want my name on something as controversial and as aggressively pursued as Israeli statehood.

Anyone know poo poo about either of these types of processes? I'm doing LSAT prep stuff for lawschool now, and don't really have much interest at all in academia. I think getting a paper published would probably be a nice little bullet point on my application but not something that would make a whole lot of difference. Conversely writing about potential war crimes being committed in the 1940s with my name attached to it seems like something I might not necessarily want.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Whip Slagcheek posted:

The next portion of my capstone isn't due for a month. I have no other assignments. :effort:

If your capstones were anything like my capstones, time spent working now means time spent drinking or sleeping later.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
This thread finally got me to jump the gun on picking up vet plates. Well that, plus the fact that I just picked up a WRX, which seems to be the most common car for speeding tickets in the US (not even remotely surprised).

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Cause every person who drives one thinks they are some loving PRO race car driver.

I'm gonna get vet (are disabled vet plates a thing?) plates when I move to California.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

SquirrelyPSU posted:

If your capstones were anything like my capstones, time spent working now means time spent drinking or sleeping later.

Eh a lot of it is rehashing poo poo I've already done. I should probably at least gather my data together so that when it's go time I can poo poo it out in relatively short order.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Getting vet plates saved me like 400 dollars and I hate them, but 400 dollars is 400 loving dollars.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Soulex posted:

Cause every person who drives one thinks they are some loving PRO race car driver.

I'm gonna get vet (are disabled vet plates a thing?) plates when I move to California.

You bet your rear end disabled vet tags exist. And handicapped vet plates, if your inevitable VA rating is less than 100%. In California, maybe? Can't see why they wouldn't. I don't know how it is elsewhere, buy in Tennessee, disabled vet tags don't need windshield placards for old man rockstar parking, but handicapped still do.

Also, disabled vet plates here are permanent and only require change of registration when you move. Handicapped vet tags still require yearly renewal.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Awesome. I've been fighting my provider about it because walking around sucks and that placard helps a bunch. He's all "not durin treatment." And I'm like "treatment is over I'm getting kicked out." But I don't know who else to go to.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

You bet your rear end disabled vet tags exist. And handicapped vet plates, if your inevitable VA rating is less than 100%. In California, maybe? Can't see why they wouldn't. I don't know how it is elsewhere, buy in Tennessee, disabled vet tags don't need windshield placards for old man rockstar parking, but handicapped still do.

Also, disabled vet plates here are permanent and only require change of registration when you move. Handicapped vet tags still require yearly renewal.

In MA the disabled vet tags are based on the civilian standard for handicap plates not your VA rating, not sure how it works in other states.

(Basically if you meet handicap criteria and are a vet you get disabled vet plates)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That's the way it worked in texas. Just showed them my a couple of things that showed I had a service connected issue and my tags from hawaii and they gave me DV plates with the symbol on them without issue. Florida, otoh, requires 100% to get the plate and they're not by default handicapped plates but instead just for 100% rated people.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Holy poo poo traveling with undergrads is a chore. Currently at a geology conference with my department, and you'd think these kids had never left the state with how worried they are to get on a bus or go to a bar. I ended up springing for my own room after one kid had a breakdown about bottled water.

At least the talks and posters are cool

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
please elaborate on a breakdown over bottled water :)

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

App13 posted:

Holy poo poo traveling with undergrads is a chore. Currently at a geology conference with my department, and you'd think these kids had never left the state with how worried they are to get on a bus or go to a bar. I ended up springing for my own room after one kid had a breakdown about bottled water.

At least the talks and posters are cool

so pumped for field school

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Lol loving bottled water from the mini bar?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Lol loving bottled water from the mini bar?

Water tastes better at a dollar an ounce.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

The hotel only had Dasani water, which he will not drink because of the "mouthfeel" and he was very worried about dehydration, and didn't get why no one else was worried about him.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

The hotel only had Dasani water, which he will not drink because of the "mouthfeel" and he was very worried about dehydration, and didn't get why no one else was worried about him.

Inshallah Cocacola co. Claims another american life

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I am not looking forward to this aspect of college.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
mouthfeel

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

App13 posted:

How has this cliff baby survived for so long without getting picked off by natural selection

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Heavy mouthfeels

App13
Dec 31, 2011

It's cool though I found a nice group to go day drinking with. College is great, it's just the traveling part that feels like babysitting.

One girl was crying and yelling at us because we left the hotel and went to the conference without her. She got lost for 2 hours.

The hotel is down the street from the center.

She is 29.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
:eyepop:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mouf feel

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Soulex posted:

Mou' feels

FTFY

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

so pumped for field school
They all talk about it like it's a year in Vietnam.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

App13 posted:

It's cool though I found a nice group to go day drinking with. College is great, it's just the traveling part that feels like babysitting.

One girl was crying and yelling at us because we left the hotel and went to the conference without her. She got lost for 2 hours.

The hotel is down the street from the center.

She is 29.

lol

App13
Dec 31, 2011

If I spend a year in field school can I get a special veterans plate?

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
switching schools to finish my masters and need my certificate of eligibility, but i forgot my VONAPP password. go to reset and apparently i used my .mil email like an idiot. I don't have a CAC reader and the VONAPP help desk says they can't change the contact email on an existing vonapp account due to privacy issues.

i have to submit a new vonapp application/account even though i've used up about 9 months of bennies

motherfuck

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man gently caress VA, no phone call, letter, email, or poo poo about Voc Rehab. What a worthless loving organization.

Edit:

Was just looking at the site and saw that eventually I'd have to attend an "orientation" at a Regional office. For real? The closest one is like 6 hours away. Yeah gently caress this.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 22, 2016

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
It's a real quick intake, yea sucks you gotta go far but think of the new computer, man! btw what magic words should I tell my Voc Rehab lady to get a laptop? I use a 2008 desktop now.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Grem posted:

It's a real quick intake, yea sucks you gotta go far but think of the new computer, man! btw what magic words should I tell my Voc Rehab lady to get a laptop? I use a 2008 desktop now.

for the cost of an overnight trip to seattle, both literal and my time, they can shove the $300 laptop they might agree that I need up their loving asses.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
They would make you go all the way to Seattle from Idaho? What the god drat poo poo.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mike-o posted:

They would make you go all the way to Seattle from Idaho? What the god drat poo poo.

The other regional office that I could possibly go to is Boise, which is an even further drive.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Hospitals will comp your trip, maybe they will too?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I don't know I've traveled a couple times with the paintball team and it's always involved me sitting in the back of a van for 6 hours while drinking whiskey out of a flask and getting high as balls cause they keep passing blunts around.

Then getting there and drinking with the coaches all night while they ask me how I'm going to manage to play inn the morning.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
The closest regional office to me is four hours away but they have smaller offices in my town that I go to. Don't read too far into to boilerplate letters and guides and poo poo. If your in a college town with a few schools there will be a VR&E counselor in town. If not the nearest college town will have one. I'd be.. Not surprised but kind of surprised if you had to drive 6 hours.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Grem posted:

There are no real magic words, they're probably going to ask what you have now and a 2008 desktop is pretty goddamn ancient to their standards.

If your counselor is decent they'll have the laptop preloaded with Office and probably McAfee and all sorts of other poo poo. I think mine billed out at about $1300, with printer, wireless mouse, etc. Only reason I know that is because they left the receipt in the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Chill hct. They'll send you a letter. If it gets down to the wire just register under post-9/11, but you have plenty of time yet before fall registration closes.

• Locked thread