Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gyges posted:

While possible, it's pretty unlikely. Garland is clearly the choice for holding up Republican intransigence to the light during the election. The only way I see Obama/Garland pulling the nomination is if the plan is for a string of acceptable nominees to be thrown to the wolves for electoral spectacle, which would rely on all those sacrificial nominees to be in on it. Which seems unlikely.

This sort of political coordination isn't that unusual, particularly for Obama's use of media coverage to make legislature republicans look bad. That said, if anyone pulls the nom, it'll officially be Garland. This is the normal process for making the Rs look bad. Give them enough time to refuse to vote or attack the nominee during hearings (which won't happen in this case), then the nominee withdraws themselves because they need to concentrate on their current work and the media coverage/hearings are a "distraction". Obama made a selection he'd be comfortable with on the bench if actually selected, but that gives R intransigence maximum coverage and can be withdrawn if needed. This is how the Obama appointment process normally works, and he has it down to a science at this point- particularly re: washington post coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I'd put money on Garland being renominated by President Hillary Clinton, especially if RBG makes noises about retiring again.

It will obviously depend on if Democrats actually fail to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and if they do somehow recapture a Senate majority.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rygar201 posted:

McConnell ruled out any movement on Garland during the Lame Duck session, citing NRA opposition to Garland.
Nice to know the GOP kowtows to the NRA. Voice of the people, you say???

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So Merrick Garland is just another ideological extremist like Robert Bork? That's too bad. I guess Obama just doesn't care about compromise.

(I refer of course to the fact that Bork is the only nominee in recent history blocked due to his politics, but even he got a hearing.)

It's been framed differently for history's sake - as an executive disclosure issue to conservatives and as a competency issue to liberals - but make no mistake, Harriet Miers was absolutely blocked due to ideology. By her own party! And if you believe Jeff Toobin and others, they were wrong and she was a far-right reactionary, perhaps even better for the cause than Alito.

The Senate is probably going to end up having to confirm Garland at some point or another, but McConnell is facing a populist revolt in an ongoing presidential primary, one where the widely disliked senator that McConnell hasn't been able to wrangle isn't even the party's biggest problem. Mitch is basically stuck until there's a presidential nominee, and he has to maintain the idea that he has control of a unified caucus on this in the meantime. Obama in his nomination speech even subtly recognized this by asking for a schedule to confirm Garland by the beginning of OT 2016, which gives McConnell, Grassley, et al. around six months to organize a surrender if the political conditions are such to do so.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alter Ego posted:

I'd put money on Garland being renominated by President Hillary Clinton, especially if RBG makes noises about retiring again.

It will obviously depend on if Democrats actually fail to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and if they do somehow recapture a Senate majority.

No way a Democrat replaces RBG with Garland. Garland is only getting appointed if the Republicans blink or President Clinton goes with him as the nominee for Scalia's replacement. Which is fairly likely since they're probably going to run at least part of the focus in the election on how it's a travesty Garland isn't getting a hearing.

Of course if Obama goes with the strategy of several qualified, centrist, praised by Republican, nominees then Hillary probably goes with her own liberal choice if the Senate doesn't vote up whoever the last nominee in the string of Obama nominees is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Nice to know the GOP kowtows to the NRA. Voice of the people, you say???

It's funny in a bad way how consistently McConnell contradicts himself.

I guess he's saying Garland wouldn't get a hearing even if hrc appoints him.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

bird cooch posted:

Garland is right in line with President Obama, i can see the confusion with '08 campaign Obama though. This being an election year and all.

For real. I thought all the retards who've been jerking off about three dimensional chess had committed seppuku out of shame years ago.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

It's funny in a bad way how consistently McConnell contradicts himself.

I guess he's saying Garland wouldn't get a hearing even if hrc appoints him.

He won't have to worry about it when he's senate minority leader and the democrats change the rules of the senate.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Conceding that Garland is fairly left-leaning, he's still 63 years old. That's two years older than Roberts is now and 11 years older than Thomas was when he was appointed. Think of all the awful poo poo that Thomas has done, and he's only 4 years older than Garland now.

Age definitely needs to be a factor when choosing a Justice, for the same reasoning my previous post laid out. The regressive shitheads have and will continue to nominate people as young as possible to that they can be a drag on the country for as long as possible. Progressives should advocate for the same thing, or we'll lose ground over the long haul. Alito, Thomas, and Roberts will each rack up three decades plus of sharting all over everything- we can't afford to nominate people who might go 20 years before croaking or retiring. Sri would give 14 more years of service on the Court (assuming the same life expectancy). That's a huge deal in today's world of the Court being an openly partisan body.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 21, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Quick question: can McConnell et al be impeached (or something) for refusing to do their constitutional duty and confirm Garland? Or do we basically have to wait until 2018 and hope that they lose their seats?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

enraged_camel posted:

Quick question: can McConnell et al be impeached (or something) for refusing to do their constitutional duty and confirm Garland? Or do we basically have to wait until 2018 and hope that they lose their seats?

The mechanism for expelling a Senator, for any reason, requires aye votes from two thirds of the Senate.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That seems really exploitable from a majority senate.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you have a Senate super-duper majority, why would you need to abuse the rules to expel anyone.

67 votes is already enough to do whatever you want, if you can convince 67 people to expel someone so they can't vote against what you want, then you have the votes to just pass what you want over their dissenting vote anyway.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

VitalSigns posted:

If you have a Senate super-duper majority, why would you need to abuse the rules to expel anyone.

67 votes is already enough to do whatever you want, if you can convince 67 people to expel someone so they can't vote against what you want, then you have the votes to just pass what you want over their dissenting vote anyway.

Well not whatever you want. You still may not have Unanimous Consent :v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

Conceding that Garland is fairly left-leaning, he's still 63 years old. That's two years older than Roberts is now and 11 years older than Thomas was when he was appointed. Think of all the awful poo poo that Thomas has done, and he's only 4 years older than Garland now.

20 years older than Thomas when he was appointed.

Thomas was born in 1948 and appointed in 1991, making him 43 at the time.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

enraged_camel posted:

What he's doing isn't illegal or unlawful in any way. It's blatantly partisan and putting his party's goals before the needs of the country, but if you impeached politicians for that you'd have impeachment proceedings running 'round the clock.

It's up to the voters to decide if that's what they want from their elected officials. I'm gonna guess the voters of Kentucky aren't all that bothered.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Age definitely needs to be a factor when choosing a Justice
After what's been posted on the past week's worth of posts in this thread, what's the point of bringing up more points that only apply in a vacuum? Anything about age/ideology/demographics completely ignore the political climate that this is occurring in. No one is going to disagree with a point like this without pointing out Obama's game theory or making another another goddamned reference to 12d chess.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Litany Unheard posted:

What he's doing isn't illegal or unlawful in any way. It's blatantly partisan and putting his party's goals before the needs of the country, but if you impeached politicians for that you'd have impeachment proceedings running 'round the clock.

It's up to the voters to decide if that's what they want from their elected officials. I'm gonna guess the voters of Kentucky aren't all that bothered.

Yeah, there's probably a nothing-says-a-dog-cant-play-basketball thing around not carrying out constitutional duties. Sure if you infringe on the rights of white men of means that's one thing or if you go against something that says "you can't do this" that's something, but just sitting on your thumb like a big dumb baby turtle isn't explicitly written into the Constitution as a no-no, and you probably aren't going to get anyone in trouble over a "spirit of the law" thing. Especially if it's up to some 50+ of his co-conspirators backing his intransigence.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Hawkline posted:

After what's been posted on the past week's worth of posts in this thread, what's the point of bringing up more points that only apply in a vacuum? Anything about age/ideology/demographics completely ignore the political climate that this is occurring in. No one is going to disagree with a point like this without pointing out Obama's game theory or making another another goddamned reference to 12d chess.

Wasn't meaning to have my post be a challenge or anything - mainly addressing a counter to my previous post that corrected me by stating that Garland is fairly left-leaning, which he is. I'd just add that the "political climate" in reality equals "no one he nominates will be confirmed" by the Senate so if Garland is truly his choice, it's a bad one because we're losing out on 14 years worth of service that Sri would give us. 14 years is forever in Court years.

(and thanks for the correction above regarding Thomas's confirmation age - having him confirmed was one of the biggest victories of the modern GOP)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Garland is absolutely Obama's choice since, you know, he nominated him for the position.

He's not playing some kind of third dimensional chess. He picked someone he wants on the court.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

In 20 years, we are going to see replacements for Ginsburg, Breyer, and Kennedy. Probably Thomas as well. Kennedy is turning 80 this year, Breyer is 78, and Thomas is hitting 68 this year. RBG is 83 as of last week. It isn't like there's no other opportunity to lock in progress on the court within the lifetime of Garland if he's confirmed. As you can guess from their ages, most of those being replaced are probably going to be replaced within the next 10-15 years and that's being generous. Garland's main blemish is his "tough on crime" record, and having the most reformist of CJ reformists isn't going to swing the court with one pick. His biggest benefits seem to be his views on campaign finance and the intersection of 1A and public welfare, which are going to be a big fight as more and more political campaigns become multi-year affairs, and more and more damage is done by climate change (big tobacco-style suits against companies stalling carbon mitigation efforts).

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Garland is absolutely Obama's choice since, you know, he nominated him for the position.

He's not playing some kind of third dimensional chess. He picked someone he wants on the court.

This is far too simple for the people slashing their wrists with occam's razor while trying to concoct elaborate scenarios of how Obama is going to pull the rug out on the man who openly wept while accepting the nomination.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
10 days before Scalia died http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/22/us/politics/john-roberts-criticized-supreme-court-confirmation-process-before-there-was-a-vacancy.html

quote:

WASHINGTON — Last month, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. delivered some blunt remarks about the Supreme Court confirmation process. The Senate should ensure that nominees are qualified, he said, and leave politics out of it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

If the Supreme Court really does release a statement chastising the Senate for its treatment of nominees, I don't know how I'll contain my amusement. I still doubt it will though.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Justices won't hear Nebraska, Oklahoma marijuana dispute with Colorado

quote:

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court refused Monday to referee a simmering dispute between Colorado and two neighboring states over the cross-border impact of marijuana legalization, heartening legalization advocates who feared the high court could have rolled back their gains.

The justices denied an effort by Oklahoma and Nebraska to bring their grievances about pot-related crime directly to the nation's highest court without seeking to go through lower courts first. Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito dissented, saying they would have heard the state's complaint.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How was Scalia on marijuana? Is this another day to be happy he is dead? (I know it doesn't really matter since you need four to hear a case)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Radish posted:

Is this another day to be happy he is dead?

:stare: is this a serious question?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Radish posted:

How was Scalia on marijuana? Is this another day to be happy he is dead?

He hated marijuana enough that he was perfectly happy to compromise his originalism and go "no, see, marijuana is so bad that this time I am firmly in favor of rampant abuse of the Commerce Clause to meddle in intra-California matters." It's one of the more popular citations for Thomas being way more consistent.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

quote:

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell doubled down on his insistence that Republicans would not consider President Obama’s nominee for the Supreme Court this year. Even if it seems that the next president could pick someone the Republicans would like even less, McConnell is adamant his fellow party members won’t budge on Merrick Garland. "I can't imagine that a Republican-majority Congress, in a lame-duck session, after the American people have spoken would want to confirm a nominee opposed by the NRA, the NFIB and that the New York Times says would move the court dramatically to the left," McConnell told CNN.
The Senate majority leader insisted that the reasoning behind refusing to vote is the same, regardless of timing. “The principle is the same, whether it’s before the election or after the election,” McConnell said on Fox News. “The principle is the American people are choosing their next president and their next president should pick this Supreme Court nominee.”

Be honest McConnell, you just don't want the black guy picking a Supreme Court Justice.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RACHET posted:

He won't have to worry about it when he's senate minority leader and the democrats change the rules of the senate.

They won't need to. Gaining the majority gives them the chairmanship of the Judiciary Committee which means that they can start the confirmation process. Once out of the committee (likely on a party line vote) there are enough GOP members in the Senate who will eventually vote for cloture even if they vote against the actual nomination.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

No way a Democrat replaces RBG with Garland. Garland is only getting appointed if the Republicans blink or President Clinton goes with him as the nominee for Scalia's replacement. Which is fairly likely since they're probably going to run at least part of the focus in the election on how it's a travesty Garland isn't getting a hearing.

Of course if Obama goes with the strategy of several qualified, centrist, praised by Republican, nominees then Hillary probably goes with her own liberal choice if the Senate doesn't vote up whoever the last nominee in the string of Obama nominees is.

Uh, no, my point was that if Republicans actually do go through with their petulant gay baby "NO NOMINEE :byodood:" plan, they'll see Garland renominated as Scalia's replacement, then Hillary will get to pick another one when RBG retires.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 21, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Unzip and Attack posted:

Wasn't meaning to have my post be a challenge or anything - mainly addressing a counter to my previous post that corrected me by stating that Garland is fairly left-leaning, which he is. I'd just add that the "political climate" in reality equals "no one he nominates will be confirmed" by the Senate so if Garland is truly his choice, it's a bad one because we're losing out on 14 years worth of service that Sri would give us. 14 years is forever in Court years.

(and thanks for the correction above regarding Thomas's confirmation age - having him confirmed was one of the biggest victories of the modern GOP)

Merrick is the same but slightly different election tactic of holding Republicans' feet to the fire over refusing to nominate. I mean, sure on an actuarial table Sri probably serves a few more years on the bench but we're still taking some fairly long term betting. Either one could have a sudden aneurism or get hit by falling space debris. Considering Merrick is the exception to the current trend on both sides of nominating people in their 50s to the court, it's a little premature to complain about how the Left is letting the Right stack the court because they won't nominate young enough people to the bench. Sotomayor was 54 and Kagan was 50.

Obama likes Garland and has decided that he wants to play look at the Senate snub a universally respected white guy instead of look at the Senate snub a unanimously confirmed Southeast Asian guy this summer. Complaining about 13 years when you're shifting the fulcrum point of the court ideological leagues seems a little silly. It's not like Garland is on his deathbed here.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Radish posted:

How was Scalia on marijuana? Is this another day to be happy he is dead? (I know it doesn't really matter since you need four to hear a case)

He believed that it was an interstate commercial activity and as such fell within the federal commerce clause purview, even when grown at home for personal use in accordance with state and/or local laws. (Gonzales v Raich) This is one of those things that is typically brought up in juxtaposition with US v Lopez (Guns on the other hand are not part of interstate commerce and can't be subject to federal laws regarding school zones) as an example of how Scalia just gave no fucks about consistency. His views about the 4th amendment protections are similarly scattered but I guess they generally lean toward the restraint of law enforcement (there was a somewhat recent case about mobile phones if I recall) but I am on my phone and am not sure how he opined regarding 4A rights for marijuana users, gay people, and/or people of the wrong religious bent.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Icon Of Sin posted:

May sound kinda ghoulish, but lifetime appointments mean there's only one way we were ever going to celebrate Scalia leaving the bench during a Democrat's term.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

I can't tell if you mean this question in terms of it's ghoulish to be glad a human is dead or if it's the spirit of "there is never a day we shouldn't be happy he is dead."

eviltastic posted:

May sound kinda ghoulish, but lifetime appointments mean there's only one way we were ever going to celebrate Scalia leaving the bench during a Democrat's term.

Yeah this. Like I'd rather he just left the bench and lived out his days riding elephants and watching operas but lifetime appointments mean that isn't likely.

It's not surprising that Scalia is once again hypocritical on something.

VV I was hoping someone would make that joke. :3:

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 21, 2016

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Radish posted:

How was Scalia on marijuana? Is this another day to be happy he is dead?

Not great, to be honest. Paranoid as hell and had a bad habit of eating everything within eyesight.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Agronox posted:

Not great, to be honest. Paranoid as hell and had a bad habit of eating everything within eyesight.

With an odd preference for pure applesauce.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

A+

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

I am happy to have set up this joke, which was much better than mine. Well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Procedurally, does it make sense to say that the lower courts have to consider this first? I thought state vs. state conflicts were the only ones that went direct to the Supremes?