Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

mandatory lesbian posted:

i like the clothing in LR but i'm really really really really bad at the gameplay

Hi my name is Lightning and I am a Blue Mage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

This is my favourite

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I like how both of those have a random strap that serves no purpose other than to have another strap buckled to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

This is my favourite

Design for the new Doctor went in a different direction.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Velvet Bouncer will always have a place in my heart, though it really shows off Lightning's bizarre noodly proportions.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

I grabbed XIII-2 and LR. The former did not contradict the internet's hyperbolic opinion as it's predecessor did, but I've started LR and I'm having fun.

13-2 isn't particularly hyperbolic, some people think it's better than 13 and some people think it's worse

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

13-2 isn't particularly hyperbolic, some people think it's better than 13 and some people think it's worse

It's kind of the opposite of games like X-2 or even XIII where it started of with a lot of negative reception among fans and then got better over time. With XIII-2 though, I recall a lot of praise for it when it first came out but nowadays it's harder to find fans of it.

Me, I liked it way more than XIII. There are things I prefer about its predecessor but overall as a game, I'd much rather replay XIII-2.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've known too many people who parrot that XIII is unplayable garbage and opinions that don't correlate to the actual game and admit to having not played the game at all.

It's perfectly fine to dislike FFXIII, but I feel that there's some sort of validation thing that people have going on that they have to say it's poo poo to show they're not posers and are in with the gamer cool kids.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've known too many people who parrot that XIII is unplayable garbage and opinions that don't correlate to the actual game and admit to having not played the game at all.

It's perfectly fine to dislike FFXIII, but I feel that there's some sort of validation thing that people have going on that they have to say it's poo poo to show they're not posers and are in with the gamer cool kids.

It's probably a combination of people having experienced the game in ways other than actually playing it (stories from people who played it, watching video of it played or Let's Plays, etc.), partly due to the game's reputation in the first place, and people misinterpreting/mishearing things that happen in the game (which wouldn't be the first time this happened in this series).

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i tried playing some type-0. it seems pretty bland all in all. why is there a time limit to everything? just let my fart around and kill things and chill, game.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Oxxidation posted:

Velvet Bouncer will always have a place in my heart, though it really shows off Lightning's bizarre noodly proportions.

I can't find my Velvet Bouncer screenshot right now so have a second fiddle instead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Played Theatrhythm for the first time in months and apparently I haven't lost a beat (hah). Still the least worst game in the series.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mega64 posted:

It's probably a combination of people having experienced the game in ways other than actually playing it (stories from people who played it, watching video of it played or Let's Plays, etc.), partly due to the game's reputation in the first place, and people misinterpreting/mishearing things that happen in the game (which wouldn't be the first time this happened in this series).

Yes, almost certainly. Combined with the fact that a lot of these people think that their 8th hand opinion is extremely valuable to a conversation and contributes lots to discussion.

If you've heard the game is poo poo and want to tell people it's poo poo, at least play it yourself to ascertain why it's poo poo.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

Me, I liked it way more than XIII. There are things I prefer about its predecessor but overall as a game, I'd much rather replay XIII-2.

Yeah I feel this way too, XIII-2 feels like an actual RPG with slight nonlinearity and character development choices. I like XIII's core gameplay but you have to play through 75% of the game before they even let you experiment with it.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you've heard the game is poo poo and want to tell people it's poo poo, at least play it yourself to ascertain why it's poo poo.

I played it for over 100 hours, it's the worst main series game that isn't an MMO or NES game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I played it for over 100 hours, it's the worst main series game that isn't an MMO or NES game.

It's perfectly fine to say that with 100 hours under the belt, it's not for someone to say that if their entire experience with it is looking at Metacritic's score.

I'm not arguing the game's great just that people bandwagon XIII is poo poo for no reasons of their own which is dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah I feel this way too, XIII-2 feels like an actual RPG with slight nonlinearity and character development choices.

FFXIII has character development choices as well, unless you're counting A) That at max level you have everything (which means other JRPGs don't have character development choices) or B) There are objectively better choices for character development (which, again, means other JRPGs don' have it, including FFXIII-2.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the slightly greater variety in character development options and slight non-linearity are so insubstantial in xiii-2 that it doesn't nearly offset the much worse encounter design and balance

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I feel this way too, XIII-2 feels like an actual RPG with slight nonlinearity and character development choices. I like XIII's core gameplay but you have to play through 75% of the game before they even let you experiment with it.

Why did you play a game you didn't like for 100 hours.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIII has character development choices as well, unless you're counting A) That at max level you have everything (which means other JRPGs don't have character development choices) or B) There are objectively better choices for character development (which, again, means other JRPGs don' have it, including FFXIII-2.)

I actually agree with this once you get to Pulse and have all the monster hunting sidequest stuff and the full Crystarum open, but the problem is that there's almost nothing left at that point other than endless optional battles with mostly uninteresting enemies. Given that I appreciate FFIV so much I'm not sure why the lack of character development and customization bugs me, but I suspect it's a combination of the game involving a lot more passive watching than a SNES game, finding fewer other hooks about the game to enjoy outside the combat, and nostalgia for a game I played when I was in the 2nd grade.

In Training posted:

Why did you play a game you didn't like for 100 hours.

3 reasons!

1) I don't hate it to begin with, it's just my least favorite modern mainseries game. It's still okay

2) I didn't know what I disliked about it until I played it.

3) It was a thing when it came out that everyone in the SA thread was saying NO IT STOPS BEING SUPER LINEAR AND TUTORIALIZING PAST A POINT and every1 was hyping up getting to Pulse or whatever, then when you get there the freakin game is over basically unless you wanna do a more boring version of X's monster arena crap.

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 20, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You definitely have to pay attention more in XIII than you do in any of the SNES games. Maybe V if you're getting crafty with the job stuff but that's more preparation than execution.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

You definitely have to pay attention more in XIII than you do in any of the SNES games. Maybe V if you're getting crafty with the job stuff but that's more preparation than execution.

Absolutely, and I say this as someone who really loves those SNES games

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

Should I upgrade Sazh's ravager or

hm

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Turtle farming is the worst thing about XIII if you're silly enough to 100% it. Sure you can spam death but that's even more boring than farming the things for Traphezodrons legitimately.

At least you get to be annoyed as your party leader auto-walks itself under a turtle foot for the 2000th time for no reason.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

the slightly greater variety in character development options and slight non-linearity are so insubstantial in xiii-2 that it doesn't nearly offset the much worse encounter design and balance

As someone who literally could not find his way back to the Plot at one point, XIII-2 offers substantially greater non-linearity than XIII.

It doesn't help XIII is the most linear game in the series by a country mile. You don't have to be Bethesda to make a game more open than XIII, you just need to have a loving town or something.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

As someone who literally could not find his way back to the Plot at one point, XIII-2 offers substantially greater non-linearity than XIII.

It doesn't help XIII is the most linear game in the series by a country mile. You don't have to be Bethesda to make a game more open than XIII, you just need to have a loving town or something.

I get the linearity complaints with XIII but it's kind of weird that no one seemed to mind it in FFX

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
FFX was super linear too and it was bad about that, but I think people complain about it more with XIII because it's completely honest about it. FFX had maps that twisted and turned, pretending to be some kind of path, wheras XIII will literally put you on straight lines like all the time. It's just presentation, is all.

So, why is it they decided XIII should have no towns? Surely they modeled them all after all the years the game took to make.

vvv You can choose to walk toward the screen instead of away from it, but I wouldn't really call that choice. Ultimate weapons are postgame and I doubt many who played bothered getting them.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 20, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Should I upgrade Sazh's ravager or

hm

Every character in the game has multiple ultimate weapons that have different effects and equipment can be upgraded and crafted to grant different abilities. Like it's fine to say it isn't a great system (it isn't) but it exists and allows you to customize your characters

Momomo posted:

FFX was super linear too and it was bad about that, but I think people complain about it more with XIII because it's completely honest about it. FFX had maps that twisted and turned, pretending to be some kind of path, wheras XIII will literally put you on straight lines like all the time. It's just presentation, is all.

This is literally the opposite of what most people say. They say that FFX was linear but it disguised it better.

They also say that the minigames and sidequests made the game feel better despite that 90% of comments about those minigames is about how utterly poo poo they are so I donno.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ffx has towns and you can revisit locations

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ImpAtom posted:

This is literally the opposite of what most people say. They say that FFX was linear but it disguised it better.

That is exactly what I just said, XIII is the one that is totally honest about you just walking down a straight line.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I get the linearity complaints with XIII but it's kind of weird that no one seemed to mind it in FFX

FFX had diversions like minigames to break up the gameplay (and still had complaints about the linearity). Older FF games had you explore the world map to find your next objective and towns to visit to talk to NPCs and stock up on equipment, which helped distract from the fact that those games were also very linear besides maybe a side dungeon here or there or doing a dungeon out-of-order.

It probably doesn't help that the "hallway simulator" complaint FF13 gets really isn't that far off, since on Cocoon most paths are narrow and go forward with sometimes one branching path here and there. It's a game built entirely around its cutscenes and battle systems, cutting out all the exploration fluff that the other games had, at least until you reach Pulse. Yeah, most of the FF games are linear, but that illusion is actually pretty drat important when it comes to things like immersion, same with graphics and music.

Hell, look at the layout of the Sphere Grid vs. the Crystarium. Both are actually very linear, but the Sphere Grid gives the illusion of choice due to how it's laid out and is thus better received.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The similarities between X/XIII also show up in their sequels because X-2 and XIII-2 were both sequels that reused assets and just let you pick areas from a menu from moment 1

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pacing matters.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Pacing is the #1 issue with XIII that causes the majority of the gripes with it really.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Help Im Alive posted:

Because there's a million more things to compare besides both being Final Fantasy and linear

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

To be honest I think FFX would be a better game if it didn't have any of that backtracking for ultimate weapon garbage. Like, sure, you can go back to areas, but it's always for dumb awful garbage. Let's not pretend that this is a positive

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also ffx lets you pick party members from the getgo

Also the combat is better

Also the game still sucks, both do

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Final Fantasy Megathread - It sucks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

FFX had diversions like minigames to break up the gameplay (and still had complaints about the linearity). Older FF games had you explore the world map to find your next objective and towns to visit to talk to NPCs and stock up on equipment, which helped distract from the fact that those games were also very linear besides maybe a side dungeon here or there or doing a dungeon out-of-order.

It probably doesn't help that the "hallway simulator" complaint FF13 gets really isn't that far off, since on Cocoon most paths are narrow and go forward with sometimes one branching path here and there. It's a game built entirely around its cutscenes and battle systems, cutting out all the exploration fluff that the other games had, at least until you reach Pulse. Yeah, most of the FF games are linear, but that illusion is actually pretty drat important when it comes to things like immersion, same with graphics and music.

Hell, look at the layout of the Sphere Grid vs. the Crystarium. Both are actually very linear, but the Sphere Grid gives the illusion of choice due to how it's laid out and is thus better received.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Pacing is the #1 issue with XIII that causes the majority of the gripes with it really.

I echo both of these posts.

It never fails that, when XIII's linearity is criticized, someone comes back with FFX being linear. Why yes it was, but I could also play Blitzball or just walk around Killika and talk to a kid who wants to be a blitzball.

XIII really wants to sell you on this whole "fugitives on the run" gimmick. Everything is fast, uncomfortably so in my opinion. I play RPGs because I like to take my time.The pacing is part of why people complain about the "cie thing' to bring it all back to the topic a page or so ago.

If XIII had better pacing, its linearity and Proper Nouns might not have ruffled so many feathers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, while you never will, nothing stops you at certain points at turning the entire pilgrimage around and going back to Besaid, the NPCs even have new dialog for events like Yuna's wedding. poo poo you would never see unless you specifically chose to walk all the way back. I'm sure 90% of incidental dialog has never been seen because gently caress THAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

blitzball sucks and the towns are empty and boring