Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well the boss of Hager's Cave and the big boss of the Dome are both kicking my poo poo in. Is level 45 low? Neither can be poisoned which is rough stuff.

EDIT: In particular the walk back through the Dome really hardcore, is there some better way than the shrine respawn point before the Inquisitor arena? Going through there and then climbing up and killing all those ghosts is murder.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do you get a double jump eventually? It seems like there's a lot of stuff just out of reach.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Do you get a double jump eventually? It seems like there's a lot of stuff just out of reach.

No, but you do get two movement upgrades eventually. An air dash and a wall jump.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well the boss of Hager's Cave and the big boss of the Dome are both kicking my poo poo in. Is level 45 low? Neither can be poisoned which is rough stuff.

EDIT: In particular the walk back through the Dome really hardcore, is there some better way than the shrine respawn point before the Inquisitor arena? Going through there and then climbing up and killing all those ghosts is murder.

The level seems fine, maybe a smidge low??

Hagar's Cave
His gunshot should be rolled through, it will negate its damage, being too heavy might prevent this. The volley shot, just try to be far away when he starts it and you can close while it's hitting the ground and wail on him, but just move from your location when he starts doing it. As for his swings, it's like any other boss that swings, dodge rolls, block, etc.

Dome
Inquisitor has a poo poo ton of delay between attacks, just dodgeroll until he swings then wail on him. As for the other one, egh, hard to say. When he gets low on health wait for him to do his charge attack, it's the only safe opening IMO

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How do I transmute to tier 3 weapons? I got the monstrous mace, but it doesn't even appear on the alchemists screen as an option to transmute further to tier 3.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Pladdicus posted:

Maybe this will help, I almost never fail now but it doesn't fit easily into words its just something you gotta experiment with. Took me dozens of falls.

From sanctuary go left, drop down until your at the platform above it. Drop to the ledge and dash jump over to the platform down and to the right so that the door is to the left of you, then just jump dash to the right. The trick is to time your dashes.

This is super vague and likely unhelpful.

Unless you mean the boss itself then uh

good luck it's a nightmare. Fight them one on one where you can and focus them down. I go for staff guy first. The trick is to run to the opposite side of the arena and hope they split up a bit to get a few easy hits.

The jump was harder than the boss (beat it first try). Cleric has insane tankiness and heals once you get to class 5.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Megasabin posted:

How do I transmute to tier 3 weapons? I got the monstrous mace, but it doesn't even appear on the alchemists screen as an option to transmute further to tier 3.

It won't show you how to transmute weapons you don't have the materials for. You can transmute to any level from any level provided you have the materials.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

King of Solomon posted:

It won't show you how to transmute weapons you don't have the materials for. You can transmute to any level from any level provided you have the materials.

Hmm, are you sure? Previous to this it did show me the tier 2 monstrous Mace even though I didn't have an
Amber idol. If I hovered over it, it showed Amber idol 0/1.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Megasabin posted:

Hmm, are you sure? Previous to this it did show me the tier 2 monstrous Mace even though I didn't have an
Amber idol. If I hovered over it, it showed Amber idol 0/1.

I suppose I should clarify. As long as you have the unique material for that item it will show you that item in the transmutation list. So it'll show that even if you don't have the generic (ie., the Amber Idol, Diamond Cluster, etc.)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

For the forgotten king I walked off the opposite ledge and just mashed dodge as I fell :shrug:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ok, game, I have killed half of your bosses and enough Bloated Abominations (or whatever they are called) to make 20 necklaces with their ears. Would you kindly let me transmute my weapon already?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fuckin' yeah. Beat the Dome. So this boss

He's a lot like a tougher version of the Wyrm fight, really. Like all the big beast monsters his tells are fairly obvious, and this guy is a lot more clear about his attacks than the others. In truth, it's really easy to consistently damage him without taking damage, so the fight only really gets bad in the second half. I went mostly naked, equipped a 100 percent lightning block shield, and just used that and dodges to get through his attacks. The combos at the end all end with a big lightning shotgun-style blast, and he does three attacks always, so wait for the combo to run out before sneaking in a hit or dodging through him. None of his attacks except for the rarely-used homing lightning can hit behind him, so go hog wild, so long as you avoid his small shockwaves.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I may be crazy but I often find myself not paying attention to the tiny loot-pickup text. I have not once seen or noticed anything (or found in inventory) when beating a boss. I'm up to the Wyrm. (Beaten, that is)

What loot should I have???

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Welp just beat the game. Missed an area though, will have to go do that on my second character when I play this again after Dark Souls III. Final area was cool but it was way too small. Should have been a bit bigger and had a gauntlet of the toughest enemies in the game/maybe weaker versions of some of the small bosses or something, and then a shrine right before the final boss. As it is, it was just annoying having to do about a minute of platforming to get to the final boss. I also felt the final boss probably should have had multiple forms or something. It was a fun fight but had about the complexity of something like the Sodden Knight, which is rather disappointing considering a.) it's the final boss and b.) how much the Nameless God had been built up by that point.

Still, aside from balance issues (e.g. smaller quicker weapons being garbage in the late game) the game was really good.

I'll probably update the OP with more detailed game information either later today or tomorrow, as an fyi.

Feenix posted:

I may be crazy but I often find myself not paying attention to the tiny loot-pickup text. I have not once seen or noticed anything (or found in inventory) when beating a boss. I'm up to the Wyrm. (Beaten, that is)

All the stuff you get from bosses tends to be transmutation materials, which have their own tab in the inventory along with upgrade materials. You use 'em at an Alchemist to transform a weapon into another weapon of its class. This is how you get the good poo poo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Feenix posted:

You're not tabbing over to the different inventory categories, crafting materials and poo poo get their own page separate from consumable items

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Mages are straight up quadratic in power, my newgame run took about 20 hours, ng+ took about 5, ng+2 took about 3 hours, gonna start on ng+3 in a bit, i'll stream it
Twitch.tv/azmilionsa, probably wont have a mic plugged in.

I also made a short video on broken things, sorry about the music, was dicking around in sharefactory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugQp5cwhHY0

E: ng+3 took an hour. Gonna see if ng+4 offers resistance afger the credits roll

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 20, 2016

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

the forgotten king boss pushed my poo poo in hard, but I was more concerned with the fall damage and healing before I realized I had made it to a boss encounter. Is there a safe way to make it down to the arena without taking fall damage?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kobogartimer posted:

Trying out my new spell on a boss! (Dried king)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzqRkCb7I7g
The next two boss fights were just about the same.

How did you even get that spell before defeating the Dried King? I've been using it on my NG+ run and it's still killing bosses in a matter of seconds.

That spell seems seriously overtuned since the others spells are good but nowhere near that ridiculous.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So, don't go around changing your faiths all willy-nilly, because it resets your Devotion as well.

Now I get to spend another half hour grinding Blade Wraith Ribs. Oh, joy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I need some locks of hair and the merchant early on who sells them loving moved, where can I find him?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Are the elemental stones you get from your faction any different than the ones you can buy? I notice they have a different item slot/name. Are they more powerful? If not is there any reason not to just pick the extra health potion for all 5 leader item ugprade slots? Elemental stones can be bought for 500 gold a pop, while max potion size is a limited commodity.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Are the elemental stones you get from your faction any different than the ones you can buy? I notice they have a different item slot/name. Are they more powerful? If not is there any reason not to just pick the extra health potion for all 5 leader item ugprade slots? Elemental stones can be bought for 500 gold a pop, while max potion size is a limited commodity.

In those cases the only real benefit is restocking when resting so if you got enough gold to buy a bunch it's not that worthwhile.

Some Creeds have unique buff items tho.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I need some locks of hair and the merchant early on who sells them loving moved, where can I find him?

He should be above the exit of the castle of storms, that place you have to reach with an obelisk. I think.

Most creed's merchants will sell them once you get a bit of devotion.

Megasabin posted:

I'm pretty sure they last longer, and maybe they're stronger. I haven't actually tested this though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Are great hammers/maces just really rare? I've cleared Red Hall of Cages and I'm still rocking the default warhammer. I mean, it's ridiculously effective as is, but I've unlocked up to level 3 great weapons and I just want to make sure I'm not missing out. I do have the option to transmute it into Obsidian Pillar but the scaling is awful (albeit I'm not sure if that even matters in this). This game is really good.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
They last a few seconds longer for sure, I think they're the same strength as the bought ones.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fuligin posted:

Are great hammers/maces just really rare? I've cleared Red Hall of Cages and I'm still rocking the default warhammer. I mean, it's ridiculously effective as is, but I've unlocked up to level 3 great weapons and I just want to make sure I'm not missing out. I do have the option to transmute it into Obsidian Pillar but the scaling is awful (albeit I'm not sure if that even matters in this). This game is really good.

There's only one in the game as far as I can tell. The rest are transmute only.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fuligin posted:

For the great weapons you can pretty much only find the basic one out in the wild (and maybe purchase extra copies from the blacksmith if you increase your devotion to your creed) and you then have to transmute that into any of the stronger weapons.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Regarding the final boss It has the exact same moveset as Allant/Gwyn/Artorias so I'm sure that's completely intentional, can you parry him?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Cool, thanks for the info. Hopefully there's a boss transmute.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
In NG+ the leader/devotion quests reset but the rewards are added on top of your already existing devotion so you can keep accumulating max potions or whatever

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Just beat ng+4 in about 40 minutes, i think sub-40 is possible on a ng+ mage
It involves skipping the red hall, most of ruined temple, salt alchemancy and the banquet, the village of smiles is a short visit. You also s skip 90% of the dome. I died to a bunch of dumb things so maybe 35 minites is doable?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey I beat the dome and these caves and their boss are pissing me off, where else can I go at this point?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hey I beat the dome and these caves and their boss are pissing me off, where else can I go at this point?

Ziggurat. Use the blue light bridge on the groundfloor on the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uCChYCrFrQ
This basically follows the path of least resistance.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 21, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Am I right in thinking that the gold face guild's healing potion will poison you if you use it too much? Is there golden wine that increases +attack, + defense worth it?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Am I right in thinking that the gold face guild's healing potion will poison you if you use it too much? Is there golden wine that increases +attack, + defense worth it?

It poisons you if you drink too much too quickly yes. Worth it not just for the golden wine, but also because you can purchase diamond clusters at rank 3 or 4 (forget which) that are used for quite a number of transmutations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The run up to disemboweled husk sucks so bad.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fuligin posted:

Yeah, it's awful and there's no way to circumvent it. Honestly, it's better to kill everything in your path, at least after the armor mite and the buccanneer guys. Once you get to the platform with the archers, you can haul rear end to the boss arena, then wait for whoever followed you to teleport in, kill them and hop to the boss. It's "efficient" as best as I can manage, as bum-rushing them tends to get you killed and fighting everyone drains resources.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, it's awful and there's no way to circumvent it. Honestly, it's better to kill everything in your path, at least after the armor mite and the buccanneer guys. Once you get to the platform with the archers, you can haul rear end to the boss arena, then wait for whoever followed you to teleport in, kill them and hop to the boss. It's "efficient" as best as I can manage, as bum-rushing them tends to get you killed and fighting everyone drains resources.

There is a drop-off you can make close by to the sanctuary. The only monsters you aggro that way are ones that can't follow you into the boss arena, but you will have to use a healing item to recover from the falling damage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fuligin posted:

I spent a long time looking for a candle when I saw there would be a fight there since there's normally one closer, couldn't believe you're supposed to run all that way.

Luckily the fight turned out to be very easy so it didn't matter. Sword and pistol are ruining bosses so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Finally beat the Husk and...it doesn't even unlock anything...

:negative:

• Locked thread