Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Cythereal posted:

Continuing to chew through the episodes and have a bit of a rant.

Can Elektra please gently caress off and go away? The actress is very good in her role, but is Elektra really meant to come across as a shallow, utterly unlikeable psychopath who does her damned best to take over the story the moment she comes in while offering nothing interesting of her own and distracting from the excellent Punisher storyline?

Actually, yes. Think about her background, even in the comics she's totally a rich, spoiled narcissist and always only shows up to draw Matt into whatever she's doing. And I don't find that she distracted from the Punisher storyline, in fact her coming along is what kept Matt from going after Frank again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Because the trope works.

I didn't say that it doesn't.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

My Q-Face posted:

Actually, yes. Think about her background, even in the comics she's totally a rich, spoiled narcissist and always only shows up to draw Matt into whatever she's doing. And I don't find that she distracted from the Punisher storyline, in fact her coming along is what kept Matt from going after Frank again.

She takes almost perverse pleasure in killing in the comics as well when she was introduced.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mars4523 posted:

The Punisher has a huge advantage, though. Sad to say that fridging wives and daughters is a tried and true method of giving a male anti-hero pathos.

No tears for Frank Jr.?

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
The Hand/Black Sky is to Daredevil Season 2 as S.H.I.E.L.D. was to Iron Man 2.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I finished it, enjoyed it very much. Was worried about Bernthal as the Punisher but he knocked it out of the park.

Just... GIVE ME.. a season of KINGPIN in his own SHOW already.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Full Season 2

The only real problem with Elektra and the Hand is that it's not as good as the Punisher, and the two parts don't fully integrate.

As for all the Hand and Nobu deaths, it seemed like a further evolution of Daredevil's method. Murder is bad, but Matt isn't responsible for the actions of Frank or Elektra. Which he isn't fine with at all when the season begins, but by the time he meets Frank on the boat and Elektra is revealed to be Black Sky he's changed his belief. Fisk helps him along as well. Daredevil is further into the grey than he was at the beginning of the season and like Frank he has accepted that he's in an endless war. He's still not going to murder people or set out to kill, but if someone dies in the war that's going to happen. He doesn't like it and is feeling extra guilty, but that's the answer he's come to in response to Frank's rooftop question. He won't set out to kill someone, even to save the life of another. However making sure the killer doesn't die means saving the person being killed is all but impossible.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

SiKboy posted:

No tears for Frank Jr.?
I don't think even Frank had tears for Frank Jr. He was like the stuffed-in-a-fridge equivalent of the Brody son from Homeland.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gaunab posted:

Around episode 11 or 12 when the ninjas invaded the hospital, I was hoping Claire would call Luke or Jessica to help keep guard. I'm glad it didn't go that way though because it would have hindered the story and whatnot.

I agree with you, but I lament that we will likely never really get something like that. One of my favorite things about Marvel is that since all the heroes live in the same general area, it's not ridiculous for a writer to just throw Wolverine into a random Spider-Man story. It doesn't have to be a WORLD ENDING CROSSOVER EVERYBODY NOW event. It can just be Iron Man flying over and noticing Daredevil fighting off ninjas, so he decides to stop and help. We're gonna get Defenders and if the trend of these Netflix series continues, it'll kick a bunch of rear end, but something in me likes the casual drop by in comics. It could still happen post-Defenders, I just don't see it since we didn't get it post-Avengers and we aren't likely considering we're headed into Civil War.

GLOSS posted:

I'll just say after finishing the entire season that I'm so glad that Clancy Brown continued his streak of being evil characters in comic book adaptations. I was a bit worried after his initial testimony, I should have known better that he'd be back down the line to remind us that he is always and forever will be an rear end in a top hat in any comic book related media.

I knew what was up from the second I saw him, because I saw him in The Flash playing....basically the same dude. I was kinda sad, because I thought at first that it was a subversion. I was wrong.

cool kids inc. posted:

He is one hundred percent in the right i

No he's not and I was happy as hell when Matt rightfully told him to gently caress off. I was sick of hearing him ride Matt for saving lives and Matt constantly apologizing to him. I can understand his fear that he would find Matt dead on a rooftop. Hell, he nearly did on multiple occasions. It's not that I didn't think he had the right to complain. I just think it got tiring by the end of the season. Matt could jump out of a burning building with a child, stop a mugging, and do CPR on a guy only to have Foggy be waiting for him at home like "But you didn't come out with me and Karen, you dick!"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Have people characterizing Elektra as spoiled and narcissist just not finished watching the show or something? It's an act. Perhaps it's an act that she's grown to inhabit, but it's nonetheless an act. The whole point of the character is that she was a tool used by Stick to break Matt away from his morals and his justice. She stops the shallow vixen persona as soon as Matt finds out about her true allegiance.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
spoiler all When Fisk repeatedly tableslammed Matt I was freaking out. The show realy has unique takes on violence

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SonicRulez posted:

I agree with you, but I lament that we will likely never really get something like that. One of my favorite things about Marvel is that since all the heroes live in the same general area, it's not ridiculous for a writer to just throw Wolverine into a random Spider-Man story. It doesn't have to be a WORLD ENDING CROSSOVER EVERYBODY NOW event. It can just be Iron Man flying over and noticing Daredevil fighting off ninjas, so he decides to stop and help. We're gonna get Defenders and if the trend of these Netflix series continues, it'll kick a bunch of rear end, but something in me likes the casual drop by in comics. It could still happen post-Defenders, I just don't see it since we didn't get it post-Avengers and we aren't likely considering we're headed into Civil War.

It's funny though because Arrow already did that twice with the Flash (I don't mean the crossover episodes either, I mean "Barry shows up and saves the day in this week's Arrow").

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'm finding this show a lot more immersive now that I mentally substitute "Gotham City" for "rapidly gentrifying neighborhood in Manhattan."

NY and Gotham in the recent films both had a huge obliteration event.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Man, after watching all of these Marvel Netflix shows, Flash and Arrow just don't have the same punch.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Of all the parting-shot hooks they could have given us, S2E13MICRO was somewhere under "Fing Fang Foom cameo" on a list of things I expected.

MECHARL WINSLOW
Mar 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
S02E13 Question about the Black Sky from someone that doesn't read the comics: Is it a vampire? Elektra was put in that fancy coffin thing, the child one was kept in the dark, they're doing weird blood things with those kids, and Nobu died only by being struck through the heart. It would be kinda cool if it was setting up a Blade thing, but I don't know anything about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MECHARL WINSLOW posted:

S02E13 Question about the Black Sky from someone that doesn't read the comics: Is it a vampire? Elektra was put in that fancy coffin thing, the child one was kept in the dark, they're doing weird blood things with those kids, and Nobu died only by being struck through the heart. It would be kinda cool if it was setting up a Blade thing, but I don't know anything about it.

The exact concept doesn't exist in the comics apparently, but your guess seems to be pretty much what they're aiming for. Maybe more demon-y, but same idea.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MECHARL WINSLOW posted:

Black Sky is some sort of Anti-Christ style figure that will lead The Hand to domination. Since Elektra is Black Sky and not a vampire when it's revealed there isn't a direct connection. The Hand uses some sort of magic technique that brings people back from the dead, which is what they were prepping that giant container for with the blood of the children and whatever toxins were being incubated inside them. Most likely they were going to use it on Elektra to make Black Sky immortal. Nobu has already had this done to him, which allows him to continuously come back from the dead. Stick stabs Nobu in the heart and then beheads him as a way of making sure the fucker finally stays down. There is no link to vampirism as presented so far.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 20, 2016

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

moths posted:

Of all the parting-shot hooks they could have given us, S2E13MICRO was somewhere under "Fing Fang Foom cameo" on a list of things I expected.

microchip the character?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Latter half spoilers The kid from last season that Stick was trying to kill, was he a Black Sky candidate? I can't recall what happened to him. Anyway, Nobu referred to the Black Sky this season as the "ultimate living weapon", which has a very specific context in Marvel, so I doubt that was just an accidental phrasing. Maybe the Hand poo poo is gonna be the overarching thing the Defenders team up to handle

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Yeah it was basically stated last season that the kid in the shipping container was a black sky candidate, and that they're rare as gently caress. E13 so of course stick goes soft and abducts one and raises her as a daughter instead of killing her

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I expect Claire to be the Charlie of the Defenders with Luke, Jessica, Matt and Danny being her Angels. I'm guessing Matt is going to be the heart of the team, the one who keeps everyone together.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

Black Sky is some sort of Anti-Christ style figure that will lead The Hand to domination. Since Elektra is Black Sky and not a vampire when it's revealed there isn't a direct connection. The Hand uses some sort of magic technique that brings people back from the dead, which is what they were prepping that giant container for with the blood of the children and whatever toxins were being incubated inside them. Most likely they were going to use it on Elektra to make Black Sky immortal. Nobu has already had this done to him, which allows him to continuously come back from the dead. Stick stabs Nobu in the heart and then beheads him as a way of making sure the fucker finally stays down. There is no link to vampirism as presented so far.
I had just assumed that the toxins in the bloodstream of the drain-kids were just mind-control drugs. I was actually kinda surprised that they didn't up usinng the drain kids as fodder for new ninja recruits.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kraps posted:

spoiler all When Fisk repeatedly tableslammed Matt I was freaking out. The show realy has unique takes on violence

Yeah that was definitely "life as a vegetable" savagery. Awesome that Murdock just took it instead of really giving back and showing his hand, but Kingpin still noticed.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

BrianWilly posted:

Have people characterizing Elektra as spoiled and narcissist just not finished watching the show or something? It's an act. Perhaps it's an act that she's grown to inhabit, but it's nonetheless an act. The whole point of the character is that she was a tool used by Stick to break Matt away from his morals and his justice. She stops the shallow vixen persona as soon as Matt finds out about her true allegiance.

Just the ones complaining about it.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Finished up the season this morning. Hell of a show.

Absolutely loved Punisher and the first eight episodes or so are fantastic, up to and including when Kingpin gets back involved. Once the Hand story starts taking over, it slows a bit. This show is best when it leaves comic book mysticism and goofiness at the door, so when that got dialed up a notch I found myself getting a little bored. Mixed feelings on Elektra as at times her scenes were great and at other points they dragged. Not a big fan of Karen or the actress who plays her. It feels like every scene shes in has to have an awkward moment and these nervous pauses, or that's how she's choosing to act it out. And I continue to root for Foggy more than anyone; Fulton Reed, NYC BigLaw Attorney is a show I'd binge ten times over.

Also, spoiler-free impression here, but it was my biggest take away: Some of the Punisher sequences are the most thrilling MCU content I've ever seen. In terms of adrenaline-pumping scenes there is some technically excellent acting/directing and creative choices going on and it even made Deadpool look lame by comparison. I was watching with a group of friends and there were a couple moments in particular where we all stood up and started going crazy. That's never happened with another comic movie or show before. If he gets his own show that's got a chance to be the best action show on all of television, and I'm not talking just comic book stuff.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Just finished the first four episodes. So far episode 3 stands out as the best to me but episode 4 was good too.

It does make me wish they could use Spider-Man for the TV show though?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not fridging if the characters don't exist.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
S2:
The scene where Daredevil interviews Frank is weird. "I'd like to treat him as a hostile witness. *Goes on a monologue that doesn't end in a question.

And did anyone else think the Delaware Bikers thing was a deleted subplot? It gets its own scene when Foggy talks to the Dogs but gets resolved entirely off camera. Maybe they couldn't find a location that looked like Delaware?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

S2:
The scene where Daredevil interviews Frank is weird. "I'd like to treat him as a hostile witness. *Goes on a monologue that doesn't end in a question.

And did anyone else think the Delaware Bikers thing was a deleted subplot? It gets its own scene when Foggy talks to the Dogs but gets resolved entirely off camera. Maybe they couldn't find a location that looked like Delaware?

The more I think about the season the messier it seems

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

broken clock opsec posted:

microchip the character?

Yeah I assume they're going to reimagine the concept, but it's fun to think about Frank getting (e13)a big goony goon neckbeard fatty sidekick.

So I get that the train dirt came from the big hole, but did we ever get explanation why any of that was happening in the first place?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Golden Bee posted:

S2:

Nah, the Delaware Bikers thing was just to show how far the DA would go to bury her mistake. If Matt and Foggy hadn't replaced the public defender, Frank would have been shipped to Delaware to be executed and the DA's cover-up would continue to go unnoticed.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Really enjoyed the season but didn't think it was as tight as the first season

In particular, I didn't feel like the three plots (The Punisher Story, the Hand Story, and the Matt's non-vigilante life falling apart story) tied together well at all. If they weren't going to merge into one story, they should have at least reinforced one another's themes. In addition, it felt like Karen was more present in each of the three plots than Matt, which eventually started to strain my ability to suspend disbelief. Doesn't help that they tried to paper over the problem by having Brett point it out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lycus posted:

Seriously, did I miss the dialogue where Matt decided he's okay with Elektra killing people? Because he didn't seem to bat an eye during the fight.

In a conversation earlier with Frank he was alluding to the idea that "just this one time, your way be necessary/"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are there irl people from NY that love it like Matt Murdoch loves it?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

zoux posted:

Maybe in the old days.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

No matter where you are, there's always some rear end in a top hat who thinks it's the greatest place ever and talks some dumb poo poo about it being part of them. Even in places where virtually everyone is from somewhere else. I assume due to the population NY just has more such idiots than most places.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I finished the show and my dominant thought is...where do they go from here?

I haven't read all the Daredevil comics so I don't know how they handled this there (and I know this exact situation popped up in the comics.) But that ending was seriously final, and the MCU is a hard place to hit the reset button on, unlike 616. So now Elektra will be revived, Karen knows about Matt, Foggy GTFO while the getting was good, Frank is the only real ally Matt has left at this point ("see you around Red" might be the friendliest exchange they've ever had) and generally my eyebrows are sitting very firmly near my hairline. Matt will continue being Daredevil and I guess his struggle will be picked up again in Defenders and then DD season 3 but... What exactly is left? What are they going to do? I don't see how the show continues on from here.

I kind of liked the Hand stuff but I feel like it overstuffed the season and they pulled really hard on the more substantial parts of Daredevil lore, so what is left to adapt at this point? Shadowland? Also :lol: at Typhoid Mary being part of the Hand. Jesus Christ why does everything have to come back to the Hand? They're almost as bad as the Kingpin with how omnipresent they are. Boring.

Overall, they've nuked the Daredevil landscape, the season was very messy and drawn out, Matt's woman problems are still boring (though to be fair this is also true to the comic) and I'm throwing my hands up in the air trying to understand what they've done. I just don't see how the show recovers from this but then I guess that's why I don't have a job in television.

Season 2 is good and entertaining but it just isn't as good as Season 1 and I'm disappointed in it for that. They lost something special when DeKnight moved on.

Gyges posted:

No matter where you are, there's always some rear end in a top hat who thinks it's the greatest place ever and talks some dumb poo poo about it being part of them. Even in places where virtually everyone is from somewhere else. I assume due to the population NY just has more such idiots than most places.

My twelfth grade English teacher was a NYC transplant and he was just like this. Insufferable.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 21, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They have a shitload of places they could take Daredevil. They haven't even touched upon adapting Born Again. They could make multiple seasons out of Bendis' run with Matt's identity getting out and him becoming Kingpin and then move right along to adapting Brubaker's run.

Like, seriously, Daredevil's lore has hardly been scratched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Codependent Poster posted:

They have a shitload of places they could take Daredevil. They haven't even touched upon adapting Born Again. They could make multiple seasons out of Bendis' run with Matt's identity getting out and him becoming Kingpin and then move right along to adapting Brubaker's run.

Like, seriously, Daredevil's lore has hardly been scratched.

I honestly didn't enjoy Bendis's run at all so that never occurred to me. Brubaker could be...interesting.