Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I use brushes from Secret Weapon Miniatures, and either GW spray primer, or Testors Medium Grey spray undercoat. Both work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

GoodBee posted:

Any particular place to buy brushes from? All LGS sell at best GW or P3. I could hit up a craft store or an art store. I think I'm looking for a natural bristle. I used to use a Windsor Newton.

I need to grab some primer too. P3 Black was my go-to. It worked fine for me in the past so I'm inclined to stick with it.

It's been awhile though so I'm open to suggestions.

If you like P3 primer, you can just buy Duplicolor Sandable Auto Primer, it's the same stuff before the hobby company rebranding markup.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Yeast posted:

GW spray primer

Holy poo poo people actually pay 12 dollars a can for that poo poo? You can literally get the same results with cheap rusto 2X flat black primer as you can with GW.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Thanks! I think I'll check out a local art supply store today since I'm impatient.

stabbington posted:

If you like P3 primer, you can just buy Duplicolor Sandable Auto Primer, it's the same stuff before the hobby company rebranding markup.

I might give this a shot. I'm continuing an army I started a while back so I'm sticking with black primer for my troops and such.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Mini photo nerds, I just got a Nikon D200 body from a friend and want to use it for minis. What's a good lens to buy that isn't too expensive and good for that?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Holy poo poo people actually pay 12 dollars a can for that poo poo? You can literally get the same results with cheap rusto 2X flat black primer as you can with GW.

Come on, don't be disingenuous. That's not a fair comparison.

2x is not literally the same results. It's much better results! At least for the black primer- I didn't care for their white.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I loving hate corax white. I've got some friends that swear by it. It seems to leave an OK primer coat but expels clouds of chalky bullshit wherever it is sprayed. I've never seen it effect the actual primer coat though. It's weird as hell.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

TTerrible posted:

I loving hate corax white. I've got some friends that swear by it. It seems to leave an OK primer coat but expels clouds of chalky bullshit wherever it is sprayed. I've never seen it effect the actual primer coat though. It's weird as hell.

Overspray with that poo poo is a real problem. It's not a bad paint otherwise, but you really do need to do it outdoors or in a spray booth.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's a rite of passage to buy the overpriced GW can once.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JoshTheStampede posted:

Mini photo nerds, I just got a Nikon D200 body from a friend and want to use it for minis. What's a good lens to buy that isn't too expensive and good for that?

nikon's 35mm 1.8 is great, and you can crop in for smaller work, or go the extreme and pickup a Macro lens, to get the fine details.

Star Man posted:

I'm happy with the results, and it's part of the workflow for my tanks \_(ツ)_/¯

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Star Man posted:

Reminds me of one of the FW painters at the Weekender. He was describing his painting process, showing a mini for each step. Then he gets to the last step and the mini is visibly hosed up and he just says "I used purity seal" with a sad look on his face

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mango Polo posted:

Reminds me of one of the FW painters at the Weekender. He was describing his painting process, showing a mini for each step. Then he gets to the last step and the mini is visibly hosed up and he just says "I used purity seal" with a sad look on his face

I've never used Purity Seal myself to know firsthand, but that poor son of a bitch.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

It boggles the mind how many people I've talked to, online and in person, who thought the only solution for hosed up varnish was to strip the model and start over.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

SRM posted:

It boggles the mind how many people I've talked to, online and in person, who thought the only solution for hosed up varnish was to strip the model and start over.

I assume you're referring to just respraying under better conditions?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Avenging Dentist posted:

I assume you're referring to just respraying under better conditions?

Spraying gloss solves the frost and then you can rematte with something else.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

JoshTheStampede posted:

Spraying gloss solves the frost and then you can rematte with something else.

Oh right, Purity Seal is like a satin varnish, isn't it?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I think the only time I spray varnished was to test out hardware store stuff. Worked fine on a plastic mini, but left the bones mini I tried it on permanently tacky. Not sure how it's even possible for the material to affect it with a few layers of paint. :iiam:

Spraycan varnish is strange voodoo.

(Meanwhile I'm starting a second bottle of Vallejo matte varnish, and I've yet to gently caress up anything. Airbrushes are amazing.)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
yeah, I might move to airbrush varnish.

I've only had Dullcote gently caress up once and frost the side of a Chimera, but it was pretty heartbreaking.

I've only heard good things about brush on.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I kind of want to get an airbrush, but I'd have nowhere to use it. Maybe when I move to a new place...

Until then, I'll probably be ok with glosscote/dullcote and a healthy level of paranoia.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

SRM posted:

I honestly have not varnished a model in 10+ years and I don't quite know why anyone would. I use all my models constantly and have never had a problem with wear or scratching except on the occasional metal model. I'm not quite sure what the purpose would be unless your hands are filthy when touching your minis. Maybe I'm missing something? It seems like an awful lot of potential aggravation and even a complete rework for almost no benefit.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

As SRM suggests, it doesn't require a complete rework, and indeed, many people varnish during painting as a way to save their progress and make it easy to roll back to the last time they varnished. Especially on metal figures, and when using less-durable paints like VMC, you can get minor damage to the paint just putting your guys in foam storage. If you play Age of Sigmar, be doubly sure to varnish so your guys don't get hosed up when you inevitably have to stack them on top of each other in the big mosh pit in the middle!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I varnish gaming models more for peace of mind than actual belief my paint will rub off. That's said, some paint brands are more fragile than others and I use a lot of VMC which is known for it.

It's not just for protection though, sometimes I have different parts of the model with different glossiness and I want to even it out across the model.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PierreTheMime posted:

I honestly have not varnished a model in 10+ years and I don't quite know why anyone would. I use all my models constantly and have never had a problem with wear or scratching except on the occasional metal model. I'm not quite sure what the purpose would be unless your hands are filthy when touching your minis. Maybe I'm missing something? It seems like an awful lot of potential aggravation and even a complete rework for almost no benefit.

I have a good number of chipped and tarnished Ultramarines and it breaks my heart every time I see them in the foam. As for a complete rework, just do gloss varnish then two coats of matte and you're done. It's super simple and the only risk is to your lungs from breathing it in!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah, all metal army.

And I also use it to seal pigments if I don't want the pigment fixer effect. Otherwise it'll literally rub off on contact.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

It's important to remember that primer on plastics actually dissolves the surface at the microscopic level to get better adhesion (at least, I think). The solvents can't do that with metal (or resin, I think), so primer just won't stick quite as well to those. I'm sure it doesn't help that GW primers aren't actually primers; they're just paint.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Cross Post from the 40k thread.

What I've been working on for the last 3 months.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
This guy was an awkward bastard to paint and looking at the picture now, I realise I forgot to glaze over the grey's on the "black" cloth like I did with the rest of the blacks.

Umbra Legate from the 3rd Edition Combined Army Starter Set

I'll probably go back and fix him up after I've painted the other guys.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Felime posted:

I think the only time I spray varnished was to test out hardware store stuff. Worked fine on a plastic mini, but left the bones mini I tried it on permanently tacky. Not sure how it's even possible for the material to affect it with a few layers of paint. :iiam:

Spraycan varnish is strange voodoo.

(Meanwhile I'm starting a second bottle of Vallejo matte varnish, and I've yet to gently caress up anything. Airbrushes are amazing.)

This is a Bonesium thing not a spray varnish thing per set. Bonesium reacts weirdly to the propellants and solvents in many spray paints and varnishes to they never QUITE dry. I have bones I painted two years ago which still stick to things. It's annoying.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

It's already been said, but VMC tends to chip easily + some varnishes facilitate a few techniques.
Additionally: permanently sealing pigments and washes (oil and enamel).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

thespaceinvader posted:

This is a Bonesium thing not a spray varnish thing per set. Bonesium reacts weirdly to the propellants and solvents in many spray paints and varnishes to they never QUITE dry. I have bones I painted two years ago which still stick to things. It's annoying.

I have found exactly one spraypaint which dries on bonesium. I don't know why this poo poo is aimed at newbies

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

signalnoise posted:

I have found exactly one spraypaint which dries on bonesium. I don't know why this poo poo is aimed at newbies

So are you going to reveal the Wu Tang secret or what?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

So are you going to reveal the Wu Tang secret or what?

If I remember correctly, Montana Black (it's a line not a color). It's like 8 bucks a can at Dick Blick though, and VSP works fine if you use a second coat. If you're a prospective customer I wouldn't mind trying again and seeing what happens. I've got a lot of spraypaint..

I also am a fan of Montana varnishes. They dry quite fast and do all the protection I need.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I mean, I loving hate Bonesium so I dunno if I'd ever need this knowledge, but it could be a good way of having cheapo practice minis...

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I've never needed to prime Bones.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

I've never needed to prime Bones.

Reaper HD is the only paint I have that goes on it nicely without needing to prime. I dunno man

I'm gonna go check again to see what paints work I suppose. I hate loving this technical level poo poo

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Reaper HD is the only paint I have that goes on it nicely without needing to prime. I dunno man

I'm gonna go check again to see what paints work I suppose. I hate loving this technical level poo poo

Weird. I've used Reaper, Vallejo, Army Painter, and lovely craft paint with no issues. I scrub them hard and don't water down the base coat much.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Your contestants:

Of these three, 1 paint dried quickly, meaning it's the one that dries. The pink was INCREDIBLY sticky very quickly. The black was smooth and dry, but still sticky. Green dried quickly, but left a texture that leaves something to be desired.

Before anyone asks, yes I shook them

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Just paint them with Vallejo black acrylic surface primer. Works a treat!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

signalnoise posted:

But you don't even need to prime them! Just paint and play man!

...assuming you don't water down your basecoat at all, and basically prime the model with paint first anyway!

...sometimes!

...also you don't have to clean them up or fix mold lines because the models look like dogshit anyway and the moldlines that are there are impossible to remove cleanly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Before anyone asks, yes I shook them

That owns.

JoshTheStampede posted:

But you don't even need to prime them! Just paint and play man!

...assuming you don't water down your basecoat at all, and basically prime the model with paint first anyway!

...sometimes!

...also you don't have to clean them up or fix mold lines because the models look like dogshit anyway and the moldlines that are there are impossible to remove cleanly!

They're also $3.