Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I was going to ask this in the product recommendation thread, but it's closed for some reason. Does anyone have any good waffle iron recommendations? Ideally I'd like one that can do the deep belgian style and thinner ones(or alternately be a panini press in addition to a belgian waffle maker).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

There is a new thread.

This is a good one:
http://www.amazon.com/Waring-WMK200-Belgian-Waffle-Stainless/dp/B00F3SA9LO

But if you want to feed more then two people at once, get a double:
https://www.amazon.com/Conair-WMK600-Double-Belgian-Waffle/dp/B0034JU9T6/

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What's the best way to chop carrot sticks? It takes me maybe 20 minutes to peel and chop a quart bag of them, and I can eat a pint in a sitting.

Cut the carrot to a rectangle, cut planks, cut to length, and cut sticks. I can put up an mspaint diagram later tonight if you'd like.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I got a pasta machine. It's a Marcato Atlas 150, which I assume is what most pasta-machine-owning people have because it's the thing that every store seems to carry. My pasta technique needs a lot of work, but I enjoyed dinner well enough. Now, how in the suffering gently caress do I clean this thing? The instruction booklet that came with this thing is so far beyond useless that I can only assume Italians come out of the womb able to field-strip a pasta machine and the instructions are meant as a reminder for idiot Americans like me in case we get concussed.

It says no water ever. Fine. I tried using a brush, as directed, but I don't really have a stiff brush around that's clean enough to use for this, because why would I? I ended up getting some stuff out of the crevices with the handle of a pastry brush, since the bristles do nothing.

I managed to get one of the little plastic combs out of the fettucini section, after figuring out that that was what was meant to come out. (The instructions do not mention that you're supposed to detach that section and turn it upside down, nor do they give an indication that it's detachable or instructions on detaching it.) We discovered this was possible only because my fiancée noticed that in the pictures the base of the machine doesn't appear to be attached.) The other comb in the fettucini section does not appear to be removable, because the hole in the side that allows the first one to come out doesn't exist anywhere near the other roller.

The machine came with two more rods and two plastic combs that look almost like they'd fit on whatever the other section is called (tagliolini?). But they don't, quite, because I can't get the metal rod to go through the hole without the plastic comb blocking it. I have no idea how I would install it if I wanted to make tagliolini. I have no idea how I'd get the second comb on, because there is no second hole near the other roller. (I assume both are meant to be installed, because both seem to be there on the fettucini section.) I have no idea why the ones in the fettucini section came preinstalled and the tagliolini ones didn't.

Once the comb is removed, I can sort of get to the actual roller part to clean it. It's not great access, but it will do, I guess. Cleaning this machine is way more aggravating than actually making pasta with it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

With my KA attachment I gave up and the bits just eventually came out. You'll get a better feel for the dough which will result in less crap in the parts in the future.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

guppy posted:

Is an overnight dry rub not worth doing before slow-roasting a pork shoulder? (I assume skipping the dry rub entirely is a bad idea, just wondering if I need to do the "plan ahead the night before" thing.)
For roasting, no. Applying dry rubs prior to smoking is a different matter, as the rub assists in the development of the pellicle, needed for development of the smoky flavour as well as smoke ring development (and there you don't need to have the rub on overnight, but applying it well before the meat goes in the smoker does have an effect).

Tots posted:

What's everyone's favorite food storage solution? Looking for variety in size and shape, microwavable, reusable, durable, and dish washer safe.
Delitainers for little poo poo like leftovers and whathaveyou, cambros of various sizes for long-term dry goods storage. I also have a couple big cambros for brining, running an IC, and poo poo like that.

spankmeister posted:

When I make tomato sauce I use whole canned tomatoes and I let them simmer whole for an hour or two before crushing them.
I pretty much always use either garden tomatoes or canned San M's. Any tomato that hasn't been chemically stabilised should break down pretty quick---like in 15, 20 minutes of simmering rather than an hour---while still preserving most of the bright, fresh tomato flavours.

That's not always what you're after---sometimes you definitely want to cook it down to mellow out the flavour, but I feel like a lot of American red sauces---pasta sauces, pizza sauces, and so on---could profit from quicker prep to preserve more of that fresh tomato note.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What's the best way to chop carrot sticks? It takes me maybe 20 minutes to peel and chop a quart bag of them, and I can eat a pint in a sitting.
The technique you're looking for is called batonneting, and you should be able to find a whole shitload of tutorials online that will explain it better than I'm about to. But all you're trying to do is take off the ends, slice of one sliver along the length of the carrot so you have a nice flat surface to stand it on, set the carrot on the flat side, then take off two more lengthwise slivers so you now have three of the four long sides square, turn the carrot again to get the fourth side and then you have a rectangular hunk of carrot. Now you can cut it lengthwise, using downward cuts to get flat pieces. Keep all the flat pieces together and rotate them and repeat the lengthwise cuts and now you have a bundle of carrot sticks, done.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's why God made baby carrots.

Tots posted:

What's everyone's favorite food storage solution? Looking for variety in size and shape, microwavable, reusable, durable, and dish washer safe.
$20 and done. I also have a handful of the super cheap deli/takeout flats, but these are much more durable while still being really cheap, obviously.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Anne Whateley posted:

That's why God made baby carrots.

$20 and done. I also have a handful of the super cheap deli/takeout flats, but these are much more durable while still being really cheap, obviously.

Perfect! Cheers.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I wasn't squaring them off, that's probably what made it tricky. My roommate also keeps putting my chef's knife through the dishwasher, so I need to sharpen it pretty bad.

Around here baby carrots are 3-5x more expensive than normal carrots.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
One amusing thing I seen with carrots is people lathing them with a drill and vegetable peeler. Homemade baby carrots!

Also, thanks for the recs SN.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Scientastic posted:

I use supermarket value own brand chopped tinned tomatoes all the time, and they work just fine. There comes a point when a tomato has been cooked, chopped up and tinned that it stops mattering if it's an heirloom San Marzano canned by artisans on the south face of Etna...

yeah I use these and save the san marzanos for when I'm making something I-talian, or a dish/sauce where tomatoes are at the forefront.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My roommate also keeps putting my chef's knife through the dishwasher, so I need to sharpen it pretty bad.

No chef's knife gets that dirty you can't just wipe it clean, dry and stash it. Stab that douche, or at least clean it and leave it under his pillow with a note, next time that poo poo happens. My wife does this and it enrages me.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

BastardAus posted:

No chef's knife gets that dirty you can't just wipe it clean, dry and stash it. Stab that douche, or at least clean it and leave it under his pillow with a note, next time that poo poo happens. My wife does this and it enrages me.

Improper knife care enrages me as well. Completely serious nothing pisses me off more than catching a roommate not using a cutting board or putting my knives in the dishwasher. Everyone wants to use my knives because they're nice and sharp. Guess the gently caress why idiots!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

You havent felt rage until a housemate uses it to lever cans open (when they break the tab) or the most heinous and loving unimaginably stupid cime of using it to unscrew little screws in appliances etc.

Both these have happened. Im triggered by knife abuse chat.

(I should point out though that I was nearly chased out of the knife thread for dishwahing cheap knives :v:)

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 21, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cheap knives are for abuse. I have my nice proper chef's knife for the real thing and a lovely old I don't even know what kind of knife for crunching through bones and poo poo. Levering open a can is fine for that knife, it's for abuse.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Cheap knives are for abuse. I have my nice proper chef's knife for the real thing and a lovely old I don't even know what kind of knife for crunching through bones and poo poo. Levering open a can is fine for that knife, it's for abuse.

Unfortunately house mates occasionally turn your good knife into a poo poo one through stupidity. If it's not repairable it is a dishwasher knife. My screwdrer abuse knife was a fairly expensive tomato knife. I dont actually think they are that important but thats not the point. Somehow someone managed to twist the ends of BOTH end forks by using it as a screwdriver. Surely you would reconsider after loving one of the forks? :psyduck:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Can you cook pasta in a rice cooker? I've never been a fan of the water wastage of cooking pasta so it seems like a good idea.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tired Moritz posted:

Can you cook pasta in a rice cooker? I've never been a fan of the water wastage of cooking pasta so it seems like a good idea.

You can cook pasta in less water

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/05/how-to-cook-pasta-salt-water-boiling-tips-the-food-lab.html

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Eeyo posted:

What do you mean entirely covered? Like sous-vide? Even a super-tight lid won't really be that effective. They may also be very wrong, I haven't repeated their tests.

I've been experimenting doing rice in my pressure cooker at low pressure settings. Haven't isolated the effect of the the different variables yet (rice type, ratio, quick release or slow cooldown) but in a sealed context, 1:1 definitely seems right for sushi rice.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I have a scar on my hand that says you should not do that. Although in my case it was a container of Old Bay and a filet knife.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

guppy posted:

the pasta people didn't tell me how to use their thing!

I found this video that looks like it shows everything from taking it out of the box to using it. I didn't see any combs in the part that I watched, but hopefully it helps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6tVVMqv9y4

e: is the comb the tall plastic thing with all the long tines? If so it shows all that stuff, plus the "multi purpose wand" that comes inside it :pervert:

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 21, 2016

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

On Tuesday I defrosted ground beef and didn't use all if it. The remainder was placed in a sealed Pyrex container. I assume I should not even consider using this tonight and should throw it out. Is that correct?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

nuru posted:

On Tuesday I defrosted ground beef and didn't use all if it. The remainder was placed in a sealed Pyrex container. I assume I should not even consider using this tonight and should throw it out. Is that correct?

Smell it. Anything beyond "it doesn't smell that bad" gets tossed.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I've had a wicked cold this last week so I'm not trusting of smell right now. I'll probably toss it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Stinky_Pete posted:

I found this video that looks like it shows everything from taking it out of the box to using it. I didn't see any combs in the part that I watched, but hopefully it helps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6tVVMqv9y4

e: is the comb the tall plastic thing with all the long tines? If so it shows all that stuff, plus the "multi purpose wand" that comes inside it :pervert:

Thanks, this was educational. Doesn't really cover cleaning though. Comments suggest Mr. Wookums is right and I should just wait for it to dry out and then it'll come out easily.

The plastic thing is actually a pasta rack, mainly for drying.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, I've never gotten mine wet.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got a pressure cooker this weekend and I'm in love. I have a couple questions about it though.

The instructions say that once it comes to pressure to reduce the heat until a slow, steady amount of steam comes out. I turned the heat as low as I could to where the pressure indicator was still raised fully, but the amount of steam coming out of the regulator still seemed like a healthy amount to me rather than a trickle. I'm just deathly afraid of evaporating all the water inside. After the chickpeas I cooked from dry were done, there still seemed to be plenty of water in there, but am I missing something? Should it be little puffs of steam coming out, or a steady stream with a bit of a hissing noise? It's a Presto 8 quart stainless steel, if that matters.

Second, the chickpeas I cooked. They were from dry so I gave them 35-40 minutes, after which they were still a bit crunchy so I gave them about 10 minutes more. They're completely cooked, but not quite as soft as what come out of a can. Is there any truth to legumes remaining tough if you pre-salt the water? I wanted to season them while they cooked as I've made chickpeas in the traditional stovestop simmer way before and didn't season the water and they came out really bland.

Also, the broth left over. I'm going to be using it to make soup this week. I know you can use the liquid from a can of chickpeas to make a vegan meringue, which my wife is interested in doing. Does the same go for the homemade broth from the batch I cooked?

Finally, price. I thought the local Patel Brothers would have bulk chickpeas for sale, but they don't...only Swad brand 7 lb. bags for $9. Is this a good price? I'm not quite sure where else to look but more than a dollar a pound seemed a bit much for them.

Oh one more thing...Desi chickpeas. They were really small. How different are they from the regular ones?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I've never tried a pressure cooker, but, I have yet to ever cook any sort of bean and have it come out as soft as what's in canned form.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What are goons making for Easter side dishes? We're having 16 people over so the more food the better.

We're having ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, deviled eggs, green bean casserole, dinner rolls, all the normal midwestern stuff. Asparagus and brussels sprouts for those with slightly more advanced tasted buds.

I want to make a few more dishes but I'm having trouble thinking of stuff and there's only 4 burners in the stove and so much room in the oven. I want to do another meat dish, like maybe grill a small chicken or two, but I don't want to have to pay too much attention to it when I have to keep going in the house to finish up other stuff. I've thought about some cold dishes like salads, any other ideas?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

What are goons making for Easter side dishes? We're having 16 people over so the more food the better.

We're having ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, deviled eggs, green bean casserole, dinner rolls, all the normal midwestern stuff. Asparagus and brussels sprouts for those with slightly more advanced tasted buds.

I want to make a few more dishes but I'm having trouble thinking of stuff and there's only 4 burners in the stove and so much room in the oven. I want to do another meat dish, like maybe grill a small chicken or two, but I don't want to have to pay too much attention to it when I have to keep going in the house to finish up other stuff. I've thought about some cold dishes like salads, any other ideas?

Get a small roast of lamb from the butcher, stab small cuts all over, stick halved garlic cloves and sprigs of rosemary in the cuts, impress everyone with what is a really simple roast! And it's lamb- topical! Lamb is delicious. Even better if you can indirectly cook it on some sort of charcoal cooker....

It's spring over there right?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Bob Morales posted:

In addition to spinach dip that she serves as just a side (don't do that, but you could make a nice spinach salad with BACON), my mother-in-law puts cubed sweet potatoes, apple juice, and butter in a crockpot. It's not on the stove and it's tasty. A wild rice/barley/quinoa salad could be good and unusual, too.

Edit: how could I forget about shrimp cocktail??? It's protein and it's cold.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 22, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How is this grinder? It's cheaper and rates higher than the Baratza.

Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AR7SY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_hfy8wbFMZ0R3M

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm making lamb burgers and rabbit sausages for Easter

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

How is this grinder? It's cheaper and rates higher than the Baratza.

Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AR7SY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_hfy8wbFMZ0R3M

I have the one with the brushed die-cast body, and I love it. It's super quiet, makes a nice reliable grind.

Only downside is that sometimes it builds up static-electricity in the body while grinding, and when you pull out the coffee bin, some of the grinds fly out and stick to the outside. I'm guessing the plastic body doesn't do this as badly.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
We're doing a ribeye roast, roast potatoes, gravy made from the roast drippings and glazed carrots. Normally we do ham or leg of lamb but the grocery had ribeye roasts on sale for $4.99/lb so I couldn't pass that up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have the one with the brushed die-cast body, and I love it. It's super quiet, makes a nice reliable grind.

Only downside is that sometimes it builds up static-electricity in the body while grinding, and when you pull out the coffee bin, some of the grinds fly out and stick to the outside. I'm guessing the plastic body doesn't do this as badly.

No the plastic one most definitely does that too. Grounds jump everywhere if they're coarse or even medium. I don't tend to have that problem when grinding fine but I'm not sure why. May just be that I'm not grinding enough at a time for it to really build up a charge.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

psychokitty posted:

A wild rice/barley/quinoa salad could be good and unusual, too.

You can make a good cold salad with spinach, quinoa, chickpeas/white beans, garlic, herbs and lemon. You can also throw in asparagus or spring peas or roasted zucchini or whatever seems delicious at the time. Super Springy!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I've thought about some cold dishes like salads, any other ideas?

Other people have suggested salads too; here's mom's barley salad if you're interested. Go ahead and make it a day or two ahead of time, it gets better after a day or so in the refrigerator.

1 ½ cups dry barley
2 ears corn or 1 cup frozen corn
½ large red onion diced
1 med cucumber diced
2 large tomatoes diced
¼ cup fresh basil chopped
3 Tbs lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
3-4 Tbs vinaigrette dressing or red wine vinegar
fresh parsley chopped,( to taste)
Lawry’s seasoned salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
3 or 4 shakes cumin

Prepare barley according to package directions. While still warm add lemon juice, olive oil and vinaigrette. Add vegetables and toss. Chill a few hours or overnight.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Scientastic posted:

I'm making lamb burgers and rabbit sausages for Easter

This is the Easter I would love to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How should dried herbs and spices be stored in relation to other foods? Some of my chocolate and other foods have a faint cumin-like taste.

At the moment all my dried herbs and spices are stored in screw top or semi open containers on one side of my pantry with all my other pantry stuff pretty close by.