Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Platform was the wrong word, PC is the smallest one for major game releases but propped way up by hat collectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes PC games collectively make a ridiculous amount of money, but the great majority of it comes from F2P games and social media games. Traditional AAA games with just a single purchase upfront tend to see much bigger sales on consoles than on PC.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

quote:

SuperData reckons free-to-play MMOs generated more than half of all PC gaming revenues in 2015 ($17 billion), with "social network-based gaming" taking another 25 percent of the total revenue haul ($8 billion).

So PC gaming as a whole makes a lot of money, but the sort of games that come over from consoles are a small slice of that pie. Call of Duty almost certainly makes more money from console than PC, despite the billions of dollars Farmville manages to squeeze out of stay-at-home moms.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

But it's free-to-play and social gaming that's driving the most revenue.

Do you even read what you post?

Things like shooters sell overwhelmingly better on consoles than PC.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So here's more gundam. You get stuck with AI partners and until you beat the story you can't customize them. Towards the end your partners gently caress off and you get new ones, these new partners loving love to use attacks that launch enemies around. This is an awful idea because not only does it knock enemies out of your skills and combos, but the game has an instant kill move where if you break all the parts off an enemy gundam, you can just destroy them no matter their HP. Super useful against bosses and stuff. However their torso has to be on the ground, so if some rear end in a top hat keeps launching the torso into the air until it can regenerate, you're just stuck sitting there waiting.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Sleeveless posted:

games are always designed with consoles in mind.

Yes, all games are designed to be released on consoles, tell me more about how much you understand the industry

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sleeveless posted:

Including games that weren't and never will be released on consoles?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, XCOM 2 was totally designed to be played on the consoles they will not be released on for a long time (if at all). I'm also sure Pillars of Eternity was also designed for flawless console performance.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Including games that weren't and never will be released on consoles?

He said always, dude. Undertale's UI fuckery was clearly designed with a big-screen TV in mind.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
PC gamers being autistic, what a surprise. :spergin:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sleeveless posted:

Aaaaand boom goes the puppetmaster defense.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
People acting like stupid assholes in this thread, what a surprise.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

People [...] stupid assholes, what a surprise.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

Pot calling the kettle autistic, what a surprise

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Everyone is talking about a surprise but I think I missed it. :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inco posted:

Yeah, XCOM 2 was totally designed to be played on the consoles they will not be released on for a long time (if at all). I'm also sure Pillars of Eternity was also designed for flawless console performance.

You mean the Xcom 2 that runs like absolute poo poo despite being designed with a single platform in mind?

Like you couldn't cherrypick a better game?

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.
To help stop this idiotic derail:

The Division:I have been having a blast, probably because I can only play 1-2 hours a few times a week. Since release I've only gotten to level ~20 and DZ rank 10 but I can already feel the lack of content. I understand it's a shooter and not an MMO and the big name MMO's have had years of additional content but unless the incursions are anything different than Challenge difficulty x10 this game is going to die of fast.

FFVII: Bought the iOS port and when you switch windows to a different app you can move right back into the game with the smallest 1 second pause. I might actually finish the game because it's no hassle playing for a few minutes at a time. My complaint however is that I went to buy some materia and did not get a confirmation message or an option to buy multiple materia so I assumed that the game froze and mashed the buy button a few times. Looks like I now have 8000 gil worth of earth materia. I quickly sold it all back to the vendor, deciding to take the hit when I realized he took all the materia back but didn't actually give me any gil. Why does every other vendor have a confirmation message for buying except this one and why in the hell would I give him materia for free? I guess there maybe so system I'm not aware of but poo poo, time to reload my save.

Rocket League: I get too angry at this game. I love it but drat, I'm not usually such an rear end in a top hat.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Materia sell value is proportional to AP, except when mastered. :eng101:

But yeah FF7's UI is inconsistent and atrocious.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Alteisen posted:

You mean the Xcom 2 that runs like absolute poo poo despite being designed with a single platform in mind?

Like you couldn't cherrypick a better game?

I don't really see what the relevance of that is, its not a Batman: Arkham Knight situation with it clearly running better on a different platform.

But sure, how about Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2 instead? Cities: Skylines, Civilisation: Beyond Earth, Stellaris, LoL, Overwatch, the new Unreal Tournament, Smite, shitloads of indie stuff from Devil Daggers to Dropsy...

Console vs PC seems like a kind of a dumb argument these days regardless, compared to ten years ago almost every game that would have been previously exclusive to a console finds its way over to PC fairly quickly, even stuff like Metal Gear for crying out load.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's pretty obvious he meant games that are multi plat are often designed for the console first then ported over to pc after, not that no games are designed for pc Jesus christ.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
broforce

I guess I should have looked at the manual to know that I can run by holding R1, and that triangle is a melee button (melee bros are still poo poo)

also, give us Brobrobro Bro Brobrobro already, the joke makes itself

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

BillmasterCozb posted:

broforce

I guess I should have looked at the manual to know that I can run by holding R1, and that triangle is a melee button (melee bros are still poo poo)

also, give us Brobrobro Bro Brobrobro already, the joke makes itself

I would play a game of just Brobro and Dibro is the villain

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

khwarezm posted:

I don't really see what the relevance of that is, its not a Batman: Arkham Knight situation with it clearly running better on a different platform.

But sure, how about Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2 instead? Cities: Skylines, Civilisation: Beyond Earth, Stellaris, LoL, Overwatch, the new Unreal Tournament, Smite, shitloads of indie stuff from Devil Daggers to Dropsy...

Console vs PC seems like a kind of a dumb argument these days regardless, compared to ten years ago almost every game that would have been previously exclusive to a console finds its way over to PC fairly quickly, even stuff like Metal Gear for crying out load.

Overwatch is a simultaneous console release.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm not a big fan of the Batmobile in Arkham Knight and I'm hoping it's optional for most of the game. Who the hell thought gliding and zip-grappling around the city was insufficiently exciting?

That said I did like when i did my first Riddler challenge in the Batmobile and the Riddler said something like "if you don't have the brainpower to get how this race course counts a riddle I'm not even going to bother explaining it to you"

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

2house2fly posted:

I'm not a big fan of the Batmobile in Arkham Knight and I'm hoping it's optional for most of the game. Who the hell thought gliding and zip-grappling around the city was insufficiently exciting?

That said I did like when i did my first Riddler challenge in the Batmobile and the Riddler said something like "if you don't have the brainpower to get how this race course counts a riddle I'm not even going to bother explaining it to you"

It sticks around all game, including some annoying "boss" fights, but in terms of like, time percentage you do use it less after the ACE chemicals sections, I think.

Zooming around in the car mode is fun, playing dodge the red line in tank mode not so much.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

2house2fly posted:

ahahahahahaha

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I mean really I don't think it takes a majority of the game up. It has a few annoying boss fights but its not like most of the game or even a lot of the game is in the batmobile.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I mean really I don't think it takes a majority of the game up. It has a few annoying boss fights but its not like most of the game or even a lot of the game is in the batmobile.

There's a shitload of batmobile content. I guess a lot of it isn't required or anything, but the game is designed for you to use it a lot throughout the game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Rocksteady was really convinced that everyone was going to love the Batmobile.

They completely hosed up the challenge maps and only had around five combat maps and five predator maps, but don't worry guys because there were around fifteen various Batmobile challenges!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Aphrodite posted:

Overwatch is a simultaneous console release.

Oh, well the beta felt like it was built like more PC focused shooters. Also TF2 was simultaneously released on consoles too.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

khwarezm posted:

Also TF2 was simultaneously released on consoles too.

and never got updated!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

BillmasterCozb posted:

and never got updated!

That was what I was getting at, I wonder if anyone still plays it on xbox or whatever today.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Last time I played it on PS3, like 3 years ago, it actually had a few games going but they were full of hackers loving around. Apparently, for the ps3 version at least, it was really easy to spoof the CRC on the config file, so they'd rebind buttons to be able to spawn world objects like walls and poo poo.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's pretty obvious he meant games that are multi plat are often designed for the console first then ported over to pc after, not that no games are designed for pc Jesus christ.

Brain-diseased troglodytes aggressively picking fights based on deliberate misreadings of video game posts is like at least a quarter of PYF.

Mazerunner posted:

Zooming around in the car mode is fun, playing dodge the red line in tank mode not so much.

Yep, the APC chases were an absolute blast but aside from that and smashing up all the criminals' cars that can't actually fight back there wasn't really anything to do in car mode aside from drive around really fast.

Tank mode was really lackluster, I had fun the first few fights where there were only a handful of enemies so the "dodge the red line," as you say, wasn't really a factor, but way too quickly the red lines became all there was to combat and each fight felt like it would never end. I had more fun cruising around popping random fleeing rioters with the rubber bullet cannon than I did with just about any other part of tank mode.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The most disappointing fight in Arkham Knight involves the drat car.

MAJOR SPOILERS :siren:

Deathstoke pops up after you've defeated the knight, you think you're gonna have it out with him like in Origins but NOPE, just another boring rear end tank fight.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The tank was loving lame. Flying and zipping is super fun; going from that to a tank is a drat regression.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

The most disappointing fight in Arkham Knight involves the drat car.

MAJOR SPOILERS :siren:

Deathstoke pops up after you've defeated the knight, you think you're gonna have it out with him like in Origins but NOPE, just another boring rear end tank fight.

Seriously? I'm glad I didn't bother grinding out the unlock for that fight. I was dissapointed by the lack of non-vehicular boss fights in that game in general. I guess they were listening to the internet which seems to hate them, but I always enjoyed around 70% of them.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I actually like the Batmobile parts, but some of those Riddler courses expect a lot of out a fairly janky vehicle physics system.

Getting through all the military stuff was surprisingly fun, but the 240+ Riddler things is... a bit much, considering there's a boss fight gated behind them.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Riddler bullshit are the worst parts of every Arkham game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Seriously? I'm glad I didn't bother grinding out the unlock for that fight. I was dissapointed by the lack of non-vehicular boss fights in that game in general. I guess they were listening to the internet which seems to hate them, but I always enjoyed around 70% of them.

To make it worse, it's not even a new fight. It's just a repeat of an earlier one.