Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Snowmankilla posted:

I feel dumbly nervous about the event. I waited for an extra 2 months to buy a rMBP, and if there is not an refresh on that or the Air, then I will be pissed I missed the $300 off that came up a bit ago. It feels like Christmas is coming!

Agreed. It's disconcerting that there haven't been any rumors around a rMBP refresh. Then again, I don't recall the Macbook being preceded with rumors either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mandals posted:

Agreed. It's disconcerting that there haven't been any rumors around a rMBP refresh. Then again, I don't recall the Macbook being preceded with rumors either.

There were a ton of rumors. Really accurate ones too, correctly calling the one port thing, the dongle, and the force touch trackpad.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

All the sites are saying that MB and rMBP are definitely getting a refresh soon, just probably not at this event, since it's focused on mobile and wearables and software. Maybe quietly in the coming months.
The MB desperately needs one.
But we just don't know, do we?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I don't think we'll see a redesigned MacBook/Air/Pro before June. Maybe earlier if they decide to just do a spec bump, but I doubt they'll get a mention at this event (unless it's just because of the aforementioned spec bump).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jealous Cow posted:

I bet the airs go away.

Upgraded 12". 13" rMBP gets slimmed down significantly, 15" slimmed down somewhat.

that's definitely coming within the next year or two. There's not really much the Air has over the Macbook except ports.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Was so tempted to get one last night. Also trying to decide between a model with a faster RAM and flash mem vs $90 saved for slightly slower. Would I ever notice?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cheese eats mouse posted:

Was so tempted to get one last night. Also trying to decide between a model with a faster RAM and flash mem vs $90 saved for slightly slower. Would I ever notice?

Yes. Pay the $90

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If they do redesign the unibody rmbp this will be the second time I have bought the year before redesign mbp since my brand new 2007 mbp got replaced by the unibody. That was painful. Hard to believe that unibody is still largely the same style as today with retina improvements of course. One of the reasons I waited two years to buy the 2015 is because I keep thinking Apple would come out with a new body. I'm hoping any redesign this year won't be as painful to endure as that one. I'm still banking on them not having a new body though, just a skylake mid 2016 update as others have said. Still I love my 15", it's an awesome computer

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If the 12 gets more ports I'm all over it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I think it'd be odd if there weren't any hardware updates but I'd sort of expect that from a company like Apple.

USB 3.1 still isn't naively supported by Intel. I could see them deciding to wait until Kaby Lake in 2017 to coincide with a big refresh.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ethanol posted:

If they do redesign the unibody rmbp this will be the second time I have bought the year before redesign mbp since my brand new 2007 mbp got replaced by the unibody. That was painful. Hard to believe that unibody is still largely the same style as today with retina improvements of course. One of the reasons I waited two years to buy the 2015 is because I keep thinking Apple would come out with a new body. I'm hoping any redesign this year won't be as painful to endure as that one. I'm still banking on them not having a new body though, just a skylake mid 2016 update as others have said. Still I love my 15", it's an awesome computer

Apple won't significantly change the design of the rMBP without putting USB-C in it- and they probably won't do that until they can get Thunderbolt 3 as well, since the goal is to have both connection standards share the same ports.

It's possible that they could pull something off for this summer, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if we don't see an rMBP chassis redesign until 2017 based on Intel/Thunderbolt chatter.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Dead Goon posted:

SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Both cost money.

It is also likely that the SSD you buy will also provide software that will be able to clone your drive for free.

SuperDuper is free for basic tasks.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

fordan posted:

SuperDuper is free for basic tasks.

Just a quick search, wasn't really paying attention.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I guess it makes sense to announce rmbp refresh at WWDC 2016 if the main focus is updated OSX/iOS. I just hope they will be immediately available after they announce them.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apple won't significantly change the design of the rMBP without putting USB-C in it- and they probably won't do that until they can get Thunderbolt 3 as well, since the goal is to have both connection standards share the same ports.

It's possible that they could pull something off for this summer, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if we don't see an rMBP chassis redesign until 2017 based on Intel/Thunderbolt chatter.

why would they not be able to do thunderbolt 3 this year considering everything's in place for it and it's already available on a number of competing PC laptops

Nasty Stanky Bitch
Dec 20, 2008
Is os x/mac hardware actually better (vs windows) for music production in terms of latency?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Going back to school in September so hoping that the new rMBP's come out before end of July!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

oaok posted:

Is os x/mac hardware actually better (vs windows) for music production in terms of latency?

Most of the hardware is the same these days, the advantage I've always seen for OSX running on Apple hardware is that it's the same company making the software and the hardware, and there's only a limited amount of model variance. I've just found in most cases, the system as a whole just feels more stable.

I still use Windows machines for work and other things, and simple incompatibilities still annoy me. Apple/OSX aren't perfect by any means, but it's definitely better and the fact if you run into an issue you can generally find others who have too.

If audio production is your thing though, I've always found people who run studios that I'm friends with often lock themselves into an OS version and only upgrade when they know everything is 101% stable and tested.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

oaok posted:

The built-in hardware is the same, the main difference is that OS X has a better audio software stack that's well suited to low latency out of the box. Or at least that's what it used to be, I haven't paid attention in a while.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

God help you if you're planning on running pro tools on Windows

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

I used PCs for years, starting with CoolEdit, FruityLoops, Reason, etc. Switched to Mac around the time of Tiger and I'm now the living embodiment of the phrase "there is no one as zealous as the newly converted."

The difference for me has come down to the little things: no more frustrating Windows driver issues, random blue screens and the nagging feeling that Microsoft hates users. Now I have better battery life, an unobtrusive and silky smooth OS, overall stability, Protools support, iTunes/iPhone integration for dumping playlists and syncing audio sketches, amazing hardware build quality, "better" supporting software and ecosystem integration (I like the walled garden), a large array of hardware accessories, etc. Note that these reasons are also broadly applicable to Macs as a whole.

Ultimately it comes down to the realization that using Windows makes me angry and takes me out of whatever it is I'm trying to focus on. On those rare occasions I have to jump on a Windows machine, I spend most of my time being like "stop stealing focus you loving fucks" and "why the gently caress are you nagging me to update every 10 minutes" and "gently caress a duck why does it reset my audio preferences every time I install an update." That's time I would rather spend making music.

Mandals fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 21, 2016

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Pivo posted:

All the sites are saying that MB and rMBP are definitely getting a refresh soon, just probably not at this event, since it's focused on mobile and wearables and software. Maybe quietly in the coming months.
The MB desperately needs one.
But we just don't know, do we?

I would be incredibly pissed if this were true, but I also know it probably is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mandals posted:

Ultimately it comes down to the realization that using Windows makes me angry and takes me out of whatever it is I'm trying to focus on.

And nothing sums this up better than the lack of focus stealing in OS X. A problem I never knew existed until I switched to an OS that didn't switch me out of whatever I was working on every time it wanted my attention. God drat do I hate that.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

And nothing sums this up better than the lack of focus stealing in OS X. A problem I never knew existed until I switched to an OS that didn't switch me out of whatever I was working on every time it wanted my attention. God drat do I hate that.

It's one of those jarring things, like watching live TV with commercials after months of commercial-free Netflix, that when you do have your focus stolen it's incredibly noticeable. OS X isn't immune from this, but it happens far, far less.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I think it'd be odd if there weren't any hardware updates but I'd sort of expect that from a company like Apple.

USB 3.1 still isn't naively supported by Intel. I could see them deciding to wait until Kaby Lake in 2017 to coincide with a big refresh.
It's not in the PCH or whatever, but if they want TB3 they'll get USB 3.1 by default cause it's part of the TB3 controller, for the USB-C ports at least. Might be possible to hub off to USB-A ports for all I know but I don't know if Apple would do that for bandwidth reasons, and if they even leave USB-A ports there to begin with. Maybe pull something like the old 2012 MBP, one last up to date machine with legacy USB ports that sticks around while or before coming out with a full redesign.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Everyone got their popcorn (and Safari browser) ready?

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/march-2016/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Switzerland posted:

Or a PC with Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge!

Heh.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please Chrome Jesus give me a slightly updated MacBook.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Switzerland posted:

I bought a new Apple TV just for this and future events.

Anybody got the rtsp url?

Hey, no Event thread?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Hey, no Event thread?

Sex Parrot asked in the iPhone thread if anyone's going to make one. I think we're all just too lazy. I sure as hell am not going to do that work. You do it. :P

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Anybody got the rtsp url?

i think this site might link to it, I saw it on Twitter as an option for people without macs to watch the stream:

http://irumble.com/applelivestream/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Looks good, thanks! Well, in 30 minutes it oughta look good..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I always watch the live stream (of sorts) with commentary on TheVerge or Ars

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be on a train, what's the bests place to get updates in text form?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Temporarily closing for the event, please redirect all liveposting/etc. here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769230

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Opened again with a lamentation about lack of Skylake rMBP. :smith:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Serious lamentation!

So what's the thread advice, if I want an rMBP?

I want one now, but was hoping they'd update specs today. Since they didn't do that, I'm vacillating between just buy one and wait the three months or so for an update, which is likely to be ... What?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

movax posted:

Opened again with a lamentation about lack of Skylake rMBP. :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

Buying the 2015 version tomorrow I guess.

Edit - who am I kidding, I'm loving stoked to get my first Mac and it's going to be an amazing thing.

I Am Crake fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 21, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They don't really do events to announce updates to laptops anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

I'm biased because I'm waiting on a rMBP refresh, but that keynote was...underwhelming. Just minor iterations to existing products delivered via stilted presentations. It managed to feel both rushed and plodding at the same time. I love Tim and Phil, but they lack Steve's natural sense of timing and showmanship. Craig is better, but they didn't use him today.

Just disappointing overall. I love Apple, but I'm starting to get confused by the product lines (seriously wtf is going on with the # of SKUs in the iPad line).