Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Guest2553 posted:

Was it a CFHA fuckup? That sounds like something stupid enough for a CHFA to do.

Either way, gently caress the CHFA.

Depending on the circumstances, its either:

-CFHA
-Canada Post
-All of the above

(CP because people were supposed to get keys in the mail, apparently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Some reserve infantry units aren't bad. You get to wear a kilt, or dumb hat, or call yourself a Rocky Mountain Ranger or Forrester or whatever.

I mean, how bad could it be right?

During Afghanistan they could be pretty good. How good they are now is pretty much up to how many people from that era or earlier are still active. Certainly a number of guys in CSOR started as reserve infantry, so there's no denying some had good standards and competent NCOs.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 23, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Depending on the circumstances, its either:

-CFHA
-Canada Post
-All of the above

(CP because people were supposed to get keys in the mail, apparently)

If it's come down to blaming Canada Post for loving up, it's CFHA. Or the mailroom, who probably didn't "gently caress up" so much as "deliver the keys to the address in their lookup table for the unit on the box regardless of what was written on the goddamned thing".

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

flakeloaf posted:

If it's come down to blaming Canada Post for loving up, it's CFHA. Or the mailroom, who probably didn't "gently caress up" so much as "deliver the keys to the address in their lookup table for the unit on the box regardless of what was written on the goddamned thing".

They also hosed up the emergency accomodations on a base with that. They changed the locks but didn't give the BDO the key(s) to get in.

Oh, and don't move to Esquimalt if you like having hot water. :ssh:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Nice work, you loving morons http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/members-of-hmcs-winnipeg-arrested-for-drug-possession-in-japan

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I guess at least it wasn't sexual assault/harassment?

Generally, when I think of countries with permissive views on recreational drugs, I think of Japan. :catdrugs: :hf: :japan:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Did any other RQs steal Roll-Up-The-Rim cups overseas or was it just 2 Horse?

I hear the story of The Great Timmies Caper this time every year.

*e: I fixed this on my phone a week ago, welp!

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 12, 2016

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Well the people busted in Japan were uh, the son of an admiral and son of the just-retired CDS (the one released from custody, but his name is in the press - also air force, not navy). And the embarked PSP person, of course.

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/esquimalt-based-sailors-arrested-on-drug-charges-in-japan-identified-1.2767143

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
I see your navy retardation and raise you airforce good ol boys' club.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/racist-abuse-canadian-air-force-1.3443197

Army needs to step up its scandal game. Come on Green Machine, we need a cadet rape or two.

Also,

quote:

the son of an admiral and son of the just-retired CDS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3bJ0UuZGwk&t=216s

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 12, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Barrakketh posted:

Army needs to step up its scandal game. Come on Green Machine, we need a cadet rape or two.

I have faith. With the Vandoos overseas again for OP Reassurance, I have no doubt there will be DUIs and domestic calls galore in Valcatraz.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Strong. Proud. Racist as gently caress.

I remember guys in my reserves unit were excited when the Caledonia occupation started (Mohawk nation occupied an under-construction subdivision in Caledonia, outside of Hamilton because they believed it was part of their territory) because they thought they'd be able to go bust some heads.

They were sorely disappointed when told that the military wouldn't be participating.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MA-Horus posted:

Strong. Proud. Racist as gently caress.

I remember guys in my reserves unit were excited when the Caledonia occupation started (Mohawk nation occupied an under-construction subdivision in Caledonia, outside of Hamilton because they believed it was part of their territory) because they thought they'd be able to go bust some heads.

They were sorely disappointed when told that the military wouldn't be participating.

Guelph guys?

I had scarcely heard a bad word about Natives before joining the military. It was beyond eye opening to hear otherwise chill people go on racist tirades.

Luckily as a Black guy, I was one of the good ones so I got a pass.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Guelph guys?

I had scarcely heard a bad word about Natives before joining the military. It was beyond eye opening to hear otherwise chill people go on racist tirades.

Luckily as a Black guy, I was one of the good ones so I got a pass.

Hamilton. The slightly more capable side of Guelph.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
My unit was too nerdy to be racist. Plus we all had jobs, so we didn't have the Combat Arms Trailer Trash hanging around, scrapping for Class B's.

Although we did have a nutcase who was a conspiracy theorist and wrote a Patriot fiction book about banks ruining his his Mary Sue's life and it included a terrible sex scene with a stand-in for one of our officers he had a huge crush on.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I got quite a bit of ribbing for being half Chinese but none of it was malicious. Also the majority of the anti-aboriginal rants I heard were from natives. The military is still pretty loving racist though.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

acumen posted:

I got quite a bit of ribbing for being half Chinese but none of it was malicious.

I got quite a bit of ribbing for being bisexual, on every course or tasking I ever participated on. And a good bit of it was definitely malicious. If I made any noise about it I just got sent to a catholic chaplain and maybe s sergeant would say a line or two about harassment after next PT. Good ole zero tolerance policy :v:

To its credit, anti-LBGT harassment was pretty much non existent at my home unit (1RNFLDR). But anytime I had to go away (Gagetown or wherever) I had to mentally prepare for an onslaught of 'human being' and gay jokes (wether directed at me or no). It was quite alienating and I took my first opportunity to leave the Reserves and enter civilian employment, even though I had originally planned to go for commission when I completed my degree.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That sucks. We had an openly gay guy and a guy we were pretty sure was gay but nobody ever gave them a hard time. I guess it all depends on the unit

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Like I said I never experienced an issue within my home unit. It was only ever when on taskings/courses when I had to work away. So it's definitely a regional or unit thing.

This was also in 2008-2012 or so, things have probably improved.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

JVNO posted:

This was also in 2008-2012 or so, things have probably improved.

Lol

In other news...I'm officially out. All the way out. Term of service in the sup res complete, honorable discharge.

SMDFTB.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nice. I'm running out the clock now, meeting with a PSO to find out what career the artillery translates to. I'm content to go to grad school, if it's all the same to them.

How does it feel?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Private security is awful fyi so I hope you've got a better plan than I did when I first got out. Although if you need a quick and easy job the Commissionaires will literally hire you on the spot.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Nice. I'm running out the clock now, meeting with a PSO to find out what career the artillery translates to. I'm content to go to grad school, if it's all the same to them.

How does it feel?

Well you sure aren't gonna find a job where good hearing is a requirement holy gently caress my gunner's ear goes off every time there's a steel strike at work

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
I went to the Prince of Wales Op Entrepreneur charity seminar, recently. It was nice knowing my local development bureau is willing to throw 75,000$ in loans and bursaries to start my own business. I've been thinking of putting my name in for the week-long seminar in Winnipeg (I think?), where they help you finalize your own business model to become Captains of Industry.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 25, 2016

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Well, the Facebook discussions about the two dudes from HMCS Winnipeg first-kissing are going about how you'd imagine...

And yesterday one of the old farts said the MND could use his "shitrag" to do cleaning stations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Anyone else have to put up with the hopeless nonsense that is shared services canada? I'm happy that at least someone is airing a grievance against them - the RCMP seem to have more of a free hand to air dirty laundry in a public place.

In other, totally unrelated news, turns out we're now allowed to make use of the Nexus bypass at a few select airports (Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto..?). Technically it's only for in-uniform personnel, but the gate security people didn't seem to know/care and waived us through despite being in civvies.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My reading is CF members are OK in civvies, only civvy air crew has to be uniformed.

E: source http://www.catsa.gc.ca/using-your-nexus-card

Mantle fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 17, 2016

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008
What about travelling in civvies with wife and kids if I have my ID? Anyone tried it?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Not yet, but I should be able to find out on spring break.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Does that apply to the extra baggage as well? Porter, Air Canada and VIA all have different baggage policies for CF.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Look up the individual airline policies but I've used extra check-in showing my CF one card or military ID wearing civvies and for personal travel.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

So what's the over/under on seeing a pay raise in the budget this Tuesday do you guys figure? :haw:

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

I just want free university. God drat.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 16, 2017

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Barrakketh posted:

I just want free university. God drat.

Sure, you just need to wear the monkey suit and attend band camp for four years.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 16, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My PSO was able to put together an ILP that included funded education, with the caveat that I need to switch to a program that benefits the CAF in some way.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Yeah but it's always been like that. And they're pretty liberal with what is "beneficial" for the forces. Not quite like it used to be - you could do almost literally anything. Pilot's licenses used to be very popular because they were paid for.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Any insight into what the new budget means? Future high-end procurement was cut, but not the F-35 explicitly?

https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/

quote:

- Increase the value of the disability award.
- Invest $25 million each year to expand access to the Permanent Impairment Allowance.
- Invest $40 million each year to provide injured veterans with 90 percent of their pre-release salary with inflation indexation.
- Invest $80 million every year to create a new Veterans Education Benefit.
- Re-open the 9 Veterans Affairs service offices.
- Hire 400 new service delivery staff.
- Spend $20 million to create two new centres of excellence in veterans’ care.
- Increase the veteran survivor’s pension amount from 50% to 70%.
- Eliminate the marriage after 60 clause.
- Double funding to the Last Post Fund.
- Cover the cost of 4 years of post-secondary education for every veteran who wants one.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 23, 2016

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

It means the thread title is more relevant than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I was awfully prescient when I came up with that one.

But creating our own version of the GI bill is a cool idea, I like it.