Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
All the more reason not to compound the atrocity by using unmatched belt halves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
What's the spitter growing rate based on?
It's definitely correlated with time and pollution, but every time in a new game i start destroying their bases they make a big jump in evolution

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RattiRatto posted:

What's the spitter growing rate based on?
It's definitely correlated with time and pollution, but every time in a new game i start destroying their bases they make a big jump in evolution

https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=Enemies#Evolution

-- percentual increase in the evolution factor per tick.
game.player.print(game.map_settings.enemy_evolution.time_factor

-- percentual increase in the evolution factor for 1000 Pollution Units
game.player.print(game.map_settings.enemy_evolution.pollution_factor)

-- percentual increase in the evolution factor for every destroyed enemy spawner
game.player.print(game.map_settings.enemy_evolution.destroy_factor)

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Here you go, thanks.
So the assumption "don't destroy their annoying base until when it's absolute necessary" holds?
From there i get that it only matters if i actually destroy their nest, but the indiscriminate genocide of biter do not affect the growth, right?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So excited. Making a huge expansion to the North, and will work on creating a huge wall section to the East as well (much much bigger expansion than the one to the North). I've got hundreds of laser turrets in stock so I'm going to lay them all along the wall segment, then wait a few days ingame time and see which sections get the most damage. I'll then reinforce with more turrets and put a roboport in range to repair.

In the pic, the part of my factory just above the assembly line, I'm going to push that wall up by a few screens and section off a piece of land from ocean to ocean. Will give me room to later expand assembly since I've now got tonnes of petroleum so I can pump out and keep red and purple circuits in stock at least to 1k each. Will be fun.

With the MKII Power Armour, will I be able to wade into enemy nests and kill them with blue shotgun shells? Cause with the first power armour, I die real quick, even with a couple MKII shields and lots of battery.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RattiRatto posted:

Here you go, thanks.
So the assumption "don't destroy their annoying base until when it's absolute necessary" holds?
From there i get that it only matters if i actually destroy their nest, but the indiscriminate genocide of biter do not affect the growth, right?
Don't ignore that eating pollution is a constant tick once you aggravate a spawner. Its a far less magnitude because its constantly ticking over on eating pollution. If the spawner destroying evolution punishes anything, its striking way out beyond your smog cloud to kill bases that aren't aggravated yet. If you have the time and inclination, trimming down bases inside the smog cloud isn't the worst idea in the world.

Loopoo posted:

With the MKII Power Armour, will I be able to wade into enemy nests and kill them with blue shotgun shells? Cause with the first power armour, I die real quick, even with a couple MKII shields and lots of battery.
Its got more slots for exos, rectors, and shields so to a point, yes. But you're still really reliant on chucking in poison capsules and distractor capsules, maybe graduating to destroyer capsules too if you have the research for a personal robot army and the materials to supply a line cranking them out. Nothing really stands up to those bases with a sea of large worms except the indirect methods.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 21, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Loopoo posted:

So excited. Making a huge expansion to the North, and will work on creating a huge wall section to the East as well (much much bigger expansion than the one to the North). I've got hundreds of laser turrets in stock so I'm going to lay them all along the wall segment, then wait a few days ingame time and see which sections get the most damage. I'll then reinforce with more turrets and put a roboport in range to repair.

In the pic, the part of my factory just above the assembly line, I'm going to push that wall up by a few screens and section off a piece of land from ocean to ocean. Will give me room to later expand assembly since I've now got tonnes of petroleum so I can pump out and keep red and purple circuits in stock at least to 1k each. Will be fun.

How are you guys taking the way zoomed out screenshots of your bases?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Applewhite posted:

How are you guys taking the way zoomed out screenshots of your bases?

http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/factorio-maps

be warned, making fully zoomable screenshots of super big bases can take forever to screenshot.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm still a bit confused about best practices for oil drilling and refining.

How many pumpjacks should I have going into each refinery?

Do I need inline pumps if I'm running a very long pipeline to my refinery and/or chem plants?

It seems like I need a lot more Petroleum Gas (Plastic and Sulfur) than Heavy Oil (Lubricant) or Light Oil (umm... solid fuel?), at least at the moment. I never seem to produce gas quickly enough, and I end up with storage tanks full of refined oil and lubricant that I can't use. What should I be doing with all this stuff?

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 21, 2016

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Make 75 blue science packs as early as you can; then research Advanced Oil Processing. That will allow you to start converting (cracking) your heavy oil >into> light oil >into> petroleum gas.

you will also need water as pictured here.

Your oil refineries can also be set to produce more gas after completing the aforementioned research.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

WhiteHowler posted:

I've gotten up to Logistics, but I'm still a bit confused about best practices for oil drilling and refining.

Do I need inline pumps if I'm running a very long pipeline to my refinery and/or chem plants?

It seems like I need a lot more Petroleum Gas (Plastic and Sulfur) than Heavy Oil (Lubricant) or Light Oil (umm... solid fuel?), at least at the moment. I never seem to produce gas quickly enough, and I end up with storage tanks full of refined oil and lubricant that I can't use. What should I be doing with all this stuff?

The amount of crude each pumpjack produces varies depending on the deposit, and decreases over time, so there's really no good answer. Usually it's better to focus on the demand side - figure out how much petroleum you want to consume, and build enough refineries to meet that demand.

Generally you end up cracking heavy and light oil down to petroleum, because you need way more plastic than lubricant. Maybe you end up turning some light oil into solid fuel on the side, since you also need coal to make plastic so that might be more of a bottleneck depending on your resources.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

WhiteHowler posted:

Get as many jacks as possible because their pump rate diminishes over time (to 0.1). Research advanced oil processing asap, then crack everything into petroleum with maybe one storage tank of lubricant.

If your crude storage is full, refine more. If your petrol storage is full, produce more. Always get more pump jacks online.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Thanks for the replies.

Do oil pipelines normally need inline pumps? My nearest oil field is pretty far away, but it seems like the oil is flowing into the storage tanks outside my refinery at a pretty good rate.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

WhiteHowler posted:

Rules of thumb I use are:
-2-3 Jacks per Refinery (though as was said, always get more)
-Double your refineries as Light->Petrol cracking
-Half the refineries as Heavy->Light cracking

Get 2 tanks of lube, then add another 2 H->L cracking plants (don't remove the lube plants). If you want to get fancy, wire a pump to turn the crackers on and off as lube gets low. Goal: No freestanding heavy oil: it should be light, lube, or absent.
Float ~1 tank of Light oil and crack the rest. Set up a handful (4 is plenty) of Fuel plants for if/when you need them, and have an easy way to connect/disconnect them.

Always make everything infinitely expandable when possible. To start, 6-8 Battery mills, 4 sulfur/4 acid mills, 4 plastic mills gets you all the product you need for the most part. 2 Lubes for bot/engine work, 2 more for blue belt production.

Inline pumps are only for really longass pipes (200+ tiles), and one is plenty, placed at the destination. You'll know when you need them, because your plants fire intermittently even after adding a large oil field. Or for automatic flow switching, but I favor builds that make more of whatever products than I can use and let it back up, which automatically turns the plant off. It's better to have idle cracking plants than having to "track down why my plastic stopped, oh my Light is full again".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can go seriously far without pumps if you're not really needing to push the throughput (assuming you're using underground pipes to cover long distance instead of making a wall of surface pipe). "Seriously far" as in, "multiple full radar scanning distances away".

Once you get up to like 20 refineries you might start needing to think about pumping, but you're honestly probably never going to need that in the base game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The small pumps are weird. You need them every ~30 pipes if you want maximum fluid velocity*, but underground pipes count as 1 pipe no matter how much distance they cover.
So don't worry too much about pumps, unless you're really going far afield with your pumping stations. You can find more details here: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6066

*You do not need maximum velocity.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Evilreaver posted:

Always make everything infinitely expandable when possible. To start, 6-8 Battery mills, 4 sulfur/4 acid mills, 4 plastic mills gets you all the product you need for the most part. 2 Lubes for bot/engine work, 2 more for blue belt production.
Wow. You should see the mess of spaghetti I had to make just to get one battery and one plastic factory running.

I'd post a screenshot, but I don't want anyone here to see it and immediately go into shock.

On an unrelated note...

My wife watched me playing this Friday night, and she seemed really interested in trying it, especially after she saw that there's a cooperative option. We bought her a copy and ended up spending most of our weekend building a new factory together. We're both getting much better at building nice, clean mining and processing operations, and we set up our first rail lines last night.

Which leads me to my latest issue.

She was taking some electric furnaces up to a new copper field and... she got hit by the train.

In multiplayer it respawns you after a few seconds, but you lose everything you were carrying. She had no idea it was even a potential danger, and she got pretty upset, to the point where she briefly decided she didn't want to play anymore.

I know the stock response here is "get good" or "pay more attention". However, it's rare that she gets so engaged with a game -- especially one we can play together. In the interest of continuing to enjoy Factorio with her, is there a mod or something that can make the trains less lethal?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

WhiteHowler posted:

My wife watched me playing this Friday night, and she seemed really interested in trying it, especially after she saw that there's a cooperative option. We bought her a copy and ended up spending most of our weekend building a new factory together. We're both getting much better at building nice, clean mining and processing operations, and we set up our first rail lines last night.

Which leads me to my latest issue.

She was taking some electric furnaces up to a new copper field and... she got hit by the train.

In multiplayer it respawns you after a few seconds, but you lose everything you were carrying. She had no idea it was even a potential danger, and she got pretty upset, to the point where she briefly decided she didn't want to play anymore.

I know the stock response here is "get good" or "pay more attention". However, it's rare that she gets so engaged with a game -- especially one we can play together. In the interest of continuing to enjoy Factorio with her, is there a mod or something that can make the trains less lethal?

Lucky fellow and yes, there's Gotlags train dodging mod, the train horn mod and gravestone so that in the event of the worst happening again, you don't lose your stuff. BTW you could have just loaded the last autosave to give her her poo poo back.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

WhiteHowler posted:

By our own GotLag:

GotLag posted:

JESUS CHRIST IT'S A TRAIN GET OFF THE TRACKS updated to 1.0.0, no longer a WIP!
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=21725

Changes:
  • Newer, better logic - only dodges moving trains (unless they're being manually controlled)
  • COWARD_MODE - always dodges, even if you're pressing movement keys
  • QUIET_MODE - no gasping

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Can't you just mod the train to do zero damage to players?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

WhiteHowler posted:

My wife watched me playing this Friday night, and she seemed really interested in trying it,

It's interesting you'd bring that up, since Factorio is also the only game my wife has really shown an interest in. Usually when I'm playing something she just rolls her eyes or berates me for spending money on frivolities, but with Factorio she comes over and watches me play, asking about what each assembly line is and what ingredients it requires, and even offers suggestions about placement and stuff. It's weird that this game of all the games I play would pique her interest.

Factorio: a game for wives?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

version .12.27 is out. Enable experimental updates in the betas tab for the game on steam to get it.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/427520/announcements/detail/843669720244616499

Ambaire posted:

Can't you just mod the train to do zero damage to players?

Probably a lot more complicated than the player juke mod to differentiate between biter and player ram damage.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Applewhite posted:

It's interesting you'd bring that up, since Factorio is also the only game my wife has really shown an interest in. Usually when I'm playing something she just rolls her eyes or berates me for spending money on frivolities, but with Factorio she comes over and watches me play, asking about what each assembly line is and what ingredients it requires, and even offers suggestions about placement and stuff. It's weird that this game of all the games I play would pique her interest.

My wife is a pretty active tabletop boardgamer, and she does play some PC games, but it's rare to find a good co-op experience that we're both really excited by. I think the last thing we played through together was Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel.

Someone mentioned to me that Factorio is a bit like Minecraft. I guess I can see that (giant construction sandbox with multiplayer), but where Minecraft falls flat for me is the lack of upgrades or a feeling of progression.

Minecraft is basically "I mine some poo poo and then build some poo poo with it". No offense to anyone who enjoys that game, but I was bored after about 30 minutes.

In Factorio, I'm still free to do whatever I want, but the next goal is always in sight, and every step of the way I'm getting fun new tools to play with. It's definitely one of those "just one more turn thing" games, like Civ or Xcom.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

My wife is a pretty active tabletop boardgamer, and she does play some PC games, but it's rare to find a good co-op experience that we're both really excited by. I think the last thing we played through together was Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel.

Someone mentioned to me that Factorio is a bit like Minecraft. I guess I can see that (giant construction sandbox with multiplayer), but where Minecraft falls flat for me is the lack of upgrades or a feeling of progression.

Minecraft is basically "I mine some poo poo and then build some poo poo with it". No offense to anyone who enjoys that game, but I was bored after about 30 minutes.

In Factorio, I'm still free to do whatever I want, but the next goal is always in sight, and every step of the way I'm getting fun new tools to play with. It's definitely one of those "just one more turn thing" games, like Civ or Xcom.

The Minecraft comparisons are probably coming from people who played Minecraft with some combination of the various industrial-themed mods. Automatic quarries, pneumatic tubes, resource processing, production lines, power generation and more. Factorio scratches that same itch for me, and even better than the Minecraft mods did, because they didn't manage (due to having to build off of an existing game) even a fraction of the level of automation Factorio takes for granted.

keldon
May 14, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Maybe so. I've been playing with my wife and 5 year old son the last few days. I had played most of the campaign missions before she started, but my first sandbox game was this multiplayer one with them. She's really into it. The fact that there's always something new to progress to has been great. A couple of days ago we set up oil refining. Yesterday we started with logistics bots.

My 5 year old also likes it, but usually I won't see what he's doing for a while, and then walk by a stone miner hooked up to an assembler making stone furnaces. There'll be a chest nearby with a few hundred furnaces in it. Why? Who knows? The multiplayer is nice in that he's not really hurting us or holding us back, even when he's doing these little side projects. The one time he did actively hurt us is when he got in the tank and drove around a bit... Had to tell him the tank was for grown-ups.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
How in the hell am I supposed to pull fluid out of these rail-tanker carts? I'm using the Flow Control pumps from GotLag and the latest version of the rail tank cart mod (1.1.3) but they just don't pull fluid out, or put fluid in, unless I manually remove/place the pumps every time, which goes against the whole spirit of the game.

How else am I supposed to get crude oil back to my factory without running tons of pipes everywhere?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

You could put your crude in barrels :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I had the same exact problem with that mod, so I just stopped using it. :shrug:

I think it has something to do with the tanker car not lining up with the pump correctly, or the pump being on the wrong side of the car. I have no real idea how to fix it though.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It has something to do with the fluid mechanics for some reason depending on which tick the game is on, so after a certain number of ticks the pumps will no longer see incoming pressure from the rail cars and refuse to work until replaced (or rotated in place 4 times). It's also why I stopped using it and learned the joy of barrels.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Are all the train upgrades like laying track and such in yet or are we still waiting?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RattiRatto posted:

Here you go, thanks.

Only the nest matters. And putting off destroying it isn't really good, either. What it really means is that after destroying a nest you should immediately build an armed outpost in its place. The longer you wait, the harder it is to take out nests, and the more nests you take out, the harder it is to take out nests. So take them out immediately as soon as you have the resources to do it and build a fort in their place to prevent them from spreading.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

How in the hell am I supposed to pull fluid out of these rail-tanker carts? I'm using the Flow Control pumps from GotLag and the latest version of the rail tank cart mod (1.1.3) but they just don't pull fluid out, or put fluid in, unless I manually remove/place the pumps every time, which goes against the whole spirit of the game.

How else am I supposed to get crude oil back to my factory without running tons of pipes everywhere?

I'm just using stock small pumps and they work fine - train stops, tankers unload, train leaves again. You do have to set up the pumps and pipes leading to the tank area carefully though or the oil can get squirted off somewhere else.

I can screenshot my setup if you want pictures. Currently in build though, I got substations researched so I went to an empty patch and started building Mk 2 Unloading station. Construction bots are slow but stamping out tiled blueprints is quicker than manual.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Oops, after the discussion on oil pipes etc. etc. I feel I've overdone my small pump placement. I've got one leaving from each storage tank and then for my 4 refineries, I have 1 that pushes out from where the same pipes converge (so the 4 heavy oil pipes lead to one and I have one small pump pushing it on, same for light and PG). Is that overkill?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Well, I've almost maxed my research and haven't used a small pump yet.. so probably

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Only way to be sure is to try it!

If you've got enough volume in a pipe, a pump can actually slow it down. So if you see a lot of fluid built up behind a pump, then that means you probably don't need a pump there, or at least you need to do that thing where you have a bunch of pumps in one place that people have talked about.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The best way I would use small pumps would be in conjunction with the check valve / one way pipe mod. The check valve allows full flow from the input side when there is plenty, and a pump next to it would force low input through.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
All this talk about nests is making a lot of sense. I'm starting to reach the point where talking them out is very difficult. I'm cruising around in mk2 armor with two arc reactors and laser defense for the rest. I'm also using a tank with explosive shells and neither is cutting the mustard anymore. Are destroyer and poison capsules the last thing to add? Or is there more?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

JESUS CHRIST IT'S A TRAIN GET OFF THE TRACKS

Saved my life about 3 times tonight.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Travic posted:

All this talk about nests is making a lot of sense. I'm starting to reach the point where talking them out is very difficult. I'm cruising around in mk2 armor with two arc reactors and laser defense for the rest. I'm also using a tank with explosive shells and neither is cutting the mustard anymore. Are destroyer and poison capsules the last thing to add? Or is there more?
Combat gets a little weird by the time your factory is set up. The tank isn't a tank, its a battering ram. You can run it through as many mobile enemies as you'd like and about half a dozen spawners or worms before needing a repair. But by the time you have mk2 armor that's getting a little old and crusty for methods because you or your bots need to get out and repair it more often than you probably want to at that stage of the game.

So you load up with a comfortable amount of exoskeletons and shield with 2-3 reactors. Take a combat shotgun with a load of AP shells. And get some poison capsules and distractor capsules cranking out at the least, destroyer capsules only if you already have the research that allows extra combat followers. Kite horde around while you rain shotgun fire into whatever is in range and use poison to soften up worms. Combat shotgun is amazing, but there's no such thing as enough shield for large+ spitters and large worms so you need to kite and get some indirect stuff like poison and distractors going.

e. alternately you go full weirdest and just use large power poles and laser turrets. A little more planning, some WWI style battle lines moving forward, but you can just leave the junk there as forward batteries that stop things from spawning so near in the future.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Does staking out territory with lone power poles still keep biters from setting up shop in the vicinity?