Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I don't have $1500, someone get this:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5492162881.html

Coredump fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Eddie Bauer edition is best edition.
I might buy a plane ticket if that thing is under 100k miles.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1986-one-of-a-kind-buick-park-avenue/1147433546?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I need the name of that appraiser. I have a VW Scirocco for him to look at.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

I need the name of that appraiser. I have a VW Scirocco for him to look at.

My truck first. brb going to Dollarama for some Baubles
Estimated 150000 things stuck to the car, most of them worth 25-30 cents apiece, they factor in the hours it took the PO to stick all that stuff on there, and they claim the car is worth $3500-4500 before the modifications.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Back in college, there was a sentra like that. It had hundreds of little toys and action figures glued to it. I wish I still had pictures of it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's gotta be a scam, isn't it? Are Full size mid 90s Broncos really that cheap in the southern US?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Looking at the pictures of it is giving me paralyzing claustrophobia. I don't think I could sit in it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

slidebite posted:

That's gotta be a scam, isn't it? Are Full size mid 90s Broncos really that cheap in the southern US?

Yeah it's too good to be true. I did a quick search for bronco's and the going price is $5-8k and in much rougher condition.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 15, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen that truck posted before, possibly even in this thread

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

http://garrettinohio.blogspot.com/2016/02/car-ad.html

Spoiler: It's a scam

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Any time you get an email address from a text it's a scam. Just ran into this the other day. Ssgt Rebecca Rodriguez is going overseas with her medical team and has to sell RIGHT NOW.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I laughed way to hard at that.

quote:

Thank you with appropriate recommendations of them with it. You am mighty sorrowful Bronco with fresh tracks been laying down. Striped cash depositors have with me an Amazon structure plenum. Eight of these trains in less time notwithstanding it has them up the crater barge. Please draw the baleful lagging loops in some strong bailiwick presentment sod if the minimal chance. The best of luck with your own business in China has been a while and it is a good one for the next two days ago.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Acquired this gem for 4900 after taxes, tag, and title.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sting=137678039

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5489018324.html

I...I kinda want this. If it was like $12000 less I'd buy it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gotta love CL buyers. Had a guy across the state ask if I would deliver the scooter I'm selling to him. gently caress you, figure it out if you want it, not my problem.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a couple of things listed on my local craigs (well, Kijiji, that's the big one in Canada) worth about $100 and some guy from Quebec (literally the other side of the continent)] asked if I would include shipping to him. The whole reason I'm listing locally is to avoid packaging and shipping, if I'm going to go through that effort I'll ebay the drat thing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

slidebite posted:

I have a couple of things listed on my local craigs (well, Kijiji, that's the big one in Canada) worth about $100 and some guy from Quebec (literally the other side of the continent)] asked if I would include shipping to him. The whole reason I'm listing locally is to avoid packaging and shipping, if I'm going to go through that effort I'll ebay the drat thing.

I shipped my DSM datalogging setup to a guy in Quebec. Sounded sketchy as gently caress but it all turned out OK.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

slidebite posted:

I've noticed a lot more replies from out of province these days, it's really easy to do a canada wide search on kijiji.

64fanatic
Oct 21, 2008

So crazy? DON'T MIND IF I DO!
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/red-deer/cadillac-hearse/1146502317

Headliner is suspected of being immortal. The rust is so comical I don't know how this hearse avoided the car crushers for decades. The insane part of me wants to put a shiny engine inside and make sure the frame isn't held up by sheer willpower and drive around like a dirty bastard.

64fanatic fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 20, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

leica posted:

Gotta love CL buyers. Had a guy across the state ask if I would deliver the scooter I'm selling to him. gently caress you, figure it out if you want it, not my problem.
If it's something with dealing with, I just quote $2/mile or whatever makes sense for delivery. You'll be surprised how many people are willing to pay extra for something like that. Selling non running motorcycles is a breeze, when you can negotiate on delivery as well. I bought a running bike for $800 that needed work, rode it for 2 years and sold it in a non running state for $950. Took an extra hour to load it and deliver it to the dude's house. As you can imagine, it's worth way less otherwise.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

64fanatic posted:

The rust is so comical I don't know how this hearse avoided the car crushers for decades.

There was this little indie movie a few decades ago that you probably never heard of that featured a Cadillac hearse as the protagonists' vehicle of choice.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

PCOS Bill posted:

There was this little indie movie a few decades ago that you probably never heard of that featured a Cadillac hearse as the protagonists' vehicle of choice.

I hear they're doing a proper reboot to address all the blatant issues the original release had.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nitrox posted:

If it's something with dealing with, I just quote $2/mile or whatever makes sense for delivery. You'll be surprised how many people are willing to pay extra for something like that. Selling non running motorcycles is a breeze, when you can negotiate on delivery as well. I bought a running bike for $800 that needed work, rode it for 2 years and sold it in a non running state for $950. Took an extra hour to load it and deliver it to the dude's house. As you can imagine, it's worth way less otherwise.

It's more of a time issue for me, I just don't have the time to be doing poo poo like that when i could just sell it locally and be done with it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Time for easy mode: Craigslist car and trucks, search term 'invested'

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/5488444893.html

1971 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 $8000 OBO
350 Blue Printed Motor with Pink Rods
Flat Top Pistons
Over $7000 invested in the motor alone

350 Turbo Transmission with Shift Kit
411 Rear End Ratio

New Floor Pans that are ready to be installed.
Solid car with some rust.

I have everything to put the car back together except carpet and rear bumper.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

leica posted:

It's more of a time issue for me, I just don't have the time to be doing poo poo like that when i could just sell it locally and be done with it.

Also so you don't drive 3 hours only to have Bubba Dumbfuck say "well, ya drove all this way, how's about <asking price*0.5>?"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Also so you don't drive 3 hours only to have Bubba Dumbfuck say "well, ya drove all this way, how's about <asking price*0.5>?"

Then I end up going to prison for murdering the guy :v:

I once had a dude drive from Atlanta to Tampa to buy a car from me, then try to lowball me when he claimed it had been hit and re painted. Guess how that situation ended.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

leica posted:

I once had a dude drive from Atlanta to Tampa to buy a car from me, then try to lowball me when he claimed it had been hit and re painted. Guess how that situation ended.

He fixes the cable?

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 21, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Close, I kicked sand in his face then hosed his wife.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

leica posted:

Is that the car you beat with a baseball bat? Or am I thinking of a different poster?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CannonFodder posted:

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/5488444893.html

1971 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 $8000 OBO
350 Blue Printed Motor with Pink Rods
Flat Top Pistons
Over $7000 invested in the motor alone

350 Turbo Transmission with Shift Kit
411 Rear End Ratio

New Floor Pans that are ready to be installed.
Solid car with some rust.

I have everything to put the car back together except carpet and rear bumper.

I love ads like this. At a glance I can tell that the owner is either a liar, or a complete incompetent that got taken for a ride, or both. Also probably a graybeard.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/5498813517.html

quote:

CAR FOR SALE

25,000 B.C. ROADSTER...RUST FREE, AIR BLOWS COLD, FOOT BRAKES, WELL UNDER TEN MILLION MILES.WOOD BODY PANELS

ORIGINAL SEATS..THIS IS A SOLID CAR!!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Underpowered but well built

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CannonFodder posted:

I was going to play this game, but then I got sad :(

https://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/5497383869.html

quote:

Long story short the car was recently inspected and is on the road and driven daily, but needs more work than I care to pay to put into it.

Rewind 2 years and 55,000 miles to the previous owner's Ebay listing:
"Thank you for viewing my 2003 Saturn LW300 wagon. This Saturn wagon was purchased from a PA dealer one owner history, garage kept, all maintenance service addressed. Recent purchase for my parents who live in Florida, decided to visit and needed something to drive. Used the wagon for a short time, now heading back to Florida and no longer need it. I am a 100% Ebay'er and love cars. This wagon was purchased from a very reliable dealer in PA for whom I buy many cars from. This one owner car needed very little. Like all my cars, once I get goes right to my technician to be examined. This Saturn needed just front wheel bearings, throttle body gasket, and fresh oil change. Currently sits on a nice set of all season tires about 80% tread left. No foul smells or odors, non-smoker vehicle and it shows. Interior very nice, no rips or tears. original jack and tools and spare like new. Amazing wagon drives like a European type car, firm and responsive. Optional 3.0 liter engine purrs and idles like a brick. No leaks, no funny noises, trans shifts as it should. Auto lamp feature, climate control, advanced stereo system, high output with sub woofer and tweeters in front and rear doors. Almost every option except a sunroof. Breaks have plenty of pad left, She stops straight and true. No pulls or drifts, wheel is dead on center. Whoever owned this one sure took very good care of it. Plus I went over everything and corrected it. PA car it's whole life, all open highway. Plus low miles for the year. All body panel resin so no rust or door dings. This wagon just performs and looks amazing. If you were looking for a nice solid used car and didn't want to spend a lot of money, this is it. Plenty of room and drives like a dream. Read my feedback, no BS ever, 100% and proud of it. Ask questions, I will respond promptly. Good luck. No reserve. Car is being shown locally, auction will stop with best offer. Traction control with ABS feature, newer Delco factory battery. One key with keyless entry fob- fob either needs battery or programing...Clean title, no accidents, one previous owner then me for maybe 3 months. Very rare power seat option, 6 disc player, all options operate as they should. Title in hand..."

Well that was the description when I won the car on Ebay for $3,050 on 2/1/14. Took the bus down to Howard Beach (Queens) NY, and drove it home. Loved the body style- reminded me of the Audi wagon's I liked but that were out of my price range. My wife and I had good experiences with 2 previous Saturns, and I figured it would be better on gas and less expensive for repairs than the alternatives.

My first red flag should have been the candy bowl of key fobs decorating the table in the previous owner's foyer. The car made it home with no issues. He got upset at me when the DMV gave me trouble with his father's Florida title. Then the car failed the NYS inspection for a right front wheel bearing (one of the 2 items he'd claimed in his Ebay description that he'd had fixed)- adding over $300 to my cost. I haven't even tried to "program" the fob he gave me (he included instructions)- it makes a nice key chain.

Less than 3 months later, I was passing a tractor-trailer on the thruway and the car struggled accelerating and had trouble getting over 65mph. When I pushed it, the warning light with the wrench-inside-the-car came on. Brought it in to my mechanic, and it needed a catalytic converter- just shy of $1,000.

Later the same month, the car overheated and we found oil in the coolant. It ended up being the engine oil cooler (oil cooler lines run through the engine- terrible design). Probably should have dumped the car then, but instead I decided to again have it professionally repaired. Nearly $1,700 later I was back on the road on 5/23/14. By now I had spent as much on repairs as I'd paid for the car.

The next day I took the car to Buffalo, and on the way home the low-coolant light came on. Dropped off the car 2 days later (Memorial Day), only to find it needed a $400 water pump. By now I was committed financially and had spent all the money I should have put into a new car, so of course I had the water pump replaced.

Summer went well, with just oil changes until bringing it in for a check engine light. Got a $450 oxygen sensor & oil change in September 2014. The check engine light came back on shortly after, so brought it back in. My mechanic said it would need another catalytic converter eventually (a different one- I think he said it has 3!), but waiting didn't hurt the car, so I still haven't had it done. The check engine light has been on 98% of the time ever since, occasionally going off. For the past 2 years, I've been getting the car NYS inspected while the light was off.

At the end of March 2015, the alternator and battery both went at the same time. Another $720. The battery light will come on very very rarely (maybe a dozen times in the past year and not at all in the past few months) when first starting the car- most times after briefly shutting the car off then turning it back on after a long drive. 2 of the times it happened at my mechanic's while he was pulling the car around for me. He confirmed the alternator wasn't charging during those times, but both times he gave it some gas and the light went right off as the alternator kicked back on.

In early November 2015, the radiator started leaking. Had it replaced for $735. 4 days later, one of the hoses popped off the radiator. I had it towed back to the mechanic, he replaced the clamp and refilled the antifreeze.

Around Christmas 2015, the car had a small but growing oil leak. Also around the same time, there was a brushing noise from the front when first starting the car. Thinking the noise was due to low oil, I got an oil change at Delta Sonic 1/3/16. The noise continued and the leak got worse, so brought it to my mechanic. He replaced the oil fill cap and a belt tensioner pulley for just under $200. I was thrilled to get the car back from his shop for under $400 for the first time ever.

Two days later another radiator hose popped off, so back went the car. He replaced all the hose clamps, and bled and filled the system- for another $200. At this time, the heat stopped working too. He suspected the thermostat and quoted me an additional $400, I decided to hold off on the thermostat and it still hasn't been addressed.

On Tuesday 2/23/16 I was driving to Buffalo on the thruway, when the car got a terrible vibration in the front- felt a bit like driving on a flat tire. It came and went, worse at acceleration. The car did fine at lower speeds, so I drove to where I was going. Later in the day I brought it to a Buffalo Firestone. They said it could be anything from axel or bearing to transmission, and were happy to start working on it with no guarantees it would solve the problem. I passed on the repairs, and drove it home mostly on back-roads, but getting it up to 70mph on 490 barely feeling it. Took it out again later on the expressway and it shook over 45mph. Last week I brought it to a different mechanic, who examined the car and suspected the transmission or drivetrain, but didn't take it far enough to get me a price. I've been driving the car around town regularly ever since 2/23. Some times it gets shaky in the high 30's but today I had it up around 50mph without any serious vibration.

In addition to everything above, I can't help feeling that something is a bit off with the car and the catalytic converter / overheating / cooling system issues are all related. The performance and gas mileage have never been as great as I expected. Sometimes it seems like I can see the exhaust for longer than I should be able to, and the back of the car seems to get dirty faster than it should. Maybe I'm just overly picky, and you can probably tell I'm of a big fan of the car. Not really a specific problem here, just something I want you to be aware of.

All said, I've certainly gotten my use out of it; running the mileage up from 94k to around 148k in about 2 years. It still looks good and has some nice features, but I can honestly say it's been the worst car I've ever owned.

Again, the current issues are:

- Undiagnosed vibration usually at speeds as low as 35mph, assume drivetrain or transmission.
- Check engine light on 98% of the time, presumably due to catalytic converter.
- No heat, presumably needs thermostat.
- Oil leak, not too bad but noticeable.
- Needs alignment, tires wearing noticeably faster on inside.
- My mechanic said it needs rear brakes & it's probably due, however it passed the NYS inspection.
- My mechanic suggested replacing all hoses as a precaution, only had him do the clamps instead.
- Minor scrape lower front bumper, not bad and bought it that way. A few dings too.
- Super-rare battery light, hasn't been an issue and battery and alternator are just over a year old.
- There had been oil in the coolant, but it's been drained, bled, and refilled several times since.
- Needs rear wiper blade replaced
- Fob doesn't work, and figure it's not even the right fob for this car.
- Inside needs a good cleaning and detailing.
- Nearly 150k miles.

The good points are:

- Recent NYS inspection 1/22/16.
- Currently on the road and driven daily.
- Power windows & locks, power seats, 6-disc cd, alloy wheels, more.
- Looks good for a station wagon.
- Nearly $6,000 invested in just 2 years!

Sorry to write so much, but wanted to be totally upfront about the car's flaws so you don't end up feeling about it the way I do- that it's been a money-pit and probably a bit of a lemon. Hopefully it still has some life left in it for the right buyer, especially if you can do the repairs yourself. Feel free to contact me with any questions, and thank you for your consideration.

He just wanted a jdm saturn~

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

CannonFodder posted:

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5470138537.html

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5448264024.html

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5468629585.html

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
This is right across the river from my house:

https://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/5497679937.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Is that the car you beat with a baseball bat? Or am I thinking of a different poster?

Haha must be a different poster, I'd love to hear the story though.

This car was a pristine fully loaded Protege5, and the guy might have had a point (said he was a "body guy") but if it had been hit the work was drat good because i couldn't tell and it wasn't on the carfax.

But the way I looked at it was why should I accept a lowball offer when 99% of potential buyers would never notice the difference and buy it for my asking price which is exactly what happened a week after I sent the idiot packing. The guy drove as far as he did because it was a pretty rare car to be fully loaded with a manual, you would think even if it WAS hit and the repair work was very good who cares? It's the car you really wanted. I probably would have knocked a couple hundred off for the guy, but he had a poo poo fit and tried to get me to take over a grand off our agreed price before he even drove down.

So I told him to gently caress off :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nitrox posted:

I think that was Hatebrooks and the donor Miata shell he used for his tube frame monster.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/5498783937.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
72 had no hatch to access the engine, which is why I guess the engine is out but the heads are still on (only thing you really need to pull the engine for).