Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

AgentJotun posted:

Double edit - In the RB "dominant" era of 2010-13 Vettel/Webber had almost exactly half as many 1/2 finishes (12) in twice as many races (77).

That isn't too surprising because the RB was an aero dominant car that relied on quick cornering speeds. Neither driver could overtake very effectively, partially because both are Bad Drivers but also because it was slow on straights and couldn't get into position to out-brake other cars into low speed corners. But if you could put it on pole, turn the engine mode onto crazy mode for a few laps and open up a one-second gap before DRS was enabled, it was an impossible car to catch because of how fast it could corner.

When one considers that Mark Wibbah consistently had some of the worst starts on the grid, putting him into fourth or fifth place from P2 at the start, it's easy to see why he wasn't always able to get back up to P2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Fat Jesus posted:

The poo poo drivers in the good cars will win more than the good drivers in the poo poo cars for the 3rd straight season

There is only one good driver on the grid though. And he's died twice now.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

FAROOQ posted:

There is only one good driver on the grid though. And he's died twice now.

Sebastian Vettel hasnt died twice. 🤔

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

That isn't too surprising because the RB was an aero dominant car that relied on quick cornering speeds. Neither driver could overtake very effectively, partially because both are Bad Drivers but also because it was slow on straights and couldn't get into position to out-brake other cars into low speed corners. But if you could put it on pole, turn the engine mode onto crazy mode for a few laps and open up a one-second gap before DRS was enabled, it was an impossible car to catch because of how fast it could corner.

When one considers that Mark Wibbah consistently had some of the worst starts on the grid, putting him into fourth or fifth place from P2 at the start, it's easy to see why he wasn't always able to get back up to P2.

This is definitely a factor, especially Webber's terrible starts. But if the teams could choose between a car thats brilliant in a straight line and very good in corners, or one thats weak on the straights but superb cornering speeds I think they would take the former every time. In 2014 especially the Mercs just breezed past everything, which allowed them to come through the field so easily if they had too. Also opened up more strategic options because they knew they could swoop straight by any cars they would come out of the pits behind. So its score 1 for Mercedes on the dominance scale from that perspective.

Quali pace too is waaay in favour of Mercedes. I know everyone hates Webber but I'd rate him about equal to Rosberg, but compare the number of poles and P2 grid slots between the two and it pretty one sided (especially when accounting for 77 races for Webber vs 39 for Rosberg)

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?

learnincurve posted:

even 2 years ago a wheel would have come off in Nando's crash but they all stayed on on Sunday.

One came off and ended up further into the run off area from where Nando's car ended up.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1. how many loving times does this need to be said? the halo is not instead of a fully enclosed canopy. it is step one down that path. there is pressure to have SOMETHING done by 2017, from virtually everyone involved, and a canopy is far too complicated for that short timespan.

2. of the people who are actually IN THE SPORT, drivers/teams/etc., the objections to the halo fall into two categories: it doesn't look cool and racing is supposed to be dangerous. the former is dumb and the latter is dumb AND implies that the halo would remove that aspect of danger. you and the dumbfuck redditors are the only people who seem to think the halo wouldn't be a safety improvement. you are wrong. drop it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The people responsible for what happens after a crash hate the halo that was presented by ferrari. So that's just marshals, medics and doctors then. This isn't the first time they have had to deal with them, halos are not a new concept, and yes people have ended up with worse injuries because they could not be extracted quickly enough. they just haven't appeared in F1 till now. What is more common in F1, a car hitting a barrier or a wheel hitting a driver?

Putting something on the car that may make things less safe as a stopgap is lunacy, especially since had they worked on the full canopy idea instead after Jules' crash then we may even have it this year and certainly in 2017.

edit: have you not thought that this is about money? a jet style canopy is going to cost far far more than a halo and have you met the people making the decisions in formula 1?

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 21, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

learnincurve posted:

Wheel tethers are also being made stronger all the time, even 2 years ago a wheel would have come off in Nando's crash but they all stayed on on Sunday.

no they didn't. watch the crash again, one gets flung all the way down to the end of the runoff area. not to mention the assload of other debris flying all around the crash site

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

learnincurve posted:

What is more common in F1, a car hitting a barrier or a wheel hitting a driver?

What is more common? A legitimate, full-on Roger Williamson-like fuel fire that the marshals can't extinguish, or debris flying into the air after a crash?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

let me spell this out for you as clearly as possible: YOU ARE WRONG. this is settled. there is no other side to the discussion. drop it.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
the halo's fine, as long as it doesn't hurt visibility/aero and actually is strong enough to handle most debris

let teams design their own as long as they pass crash tests

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Have any of you ever been to a race and seen a driver unable to get out of a wrecked car because it's a tin top, had a roll cage or anything similar to a halo? These things twist and bend during an accident, or just flat out shatter and turn into a projectile themselves, and it involves literally cutting the car apart to get the driver out or you risk serious neck injury. Don't think I'm coming at this because I think they should man up, if I was I wouldn't be saying we should have a canopy. it's because the idea of any driver being trapped in a car after a wreck scares the living poo poo out of me. I've seen it too many times, that room in my head is full.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

Have any of you ever been to a race and seen a driver unable to get out of a wrecked car because it's a tin top, had a roll cage or anything similar to a halo? These things twist and bend during an accident, or just flat out shatter and turn into a projectile themselves, and it involves literally cutting the car apart to get the driver out or you risk serious neck injury. Don't think I'm coming at this because I think they should man up, if I was I wouldn't be saying we should have a canopy. it's because the idea of any driver being trapped in a car after a wreck scares the living poo poo out of me. I've seen it too many times, that room in my head is full.

No, can't say I've ever seen that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

we are done with this topic

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Can we talk about how Mercedes were not allowed to tell Nico that his brakes were about to explode, and decided not to retire him when they were at a critical level please?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

Can we talk about how Mercedes were not allowed to tell Nico that his brakes were about to explode, and decided not to retire him when they were at a critical level please?

You will need to get permission from the new forum moderator first.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

You will need to get permission from the new forum moderator first.

don't be a child

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

learnincurve posted:

They were allowed, it's classed as a safety iasue if the driver is at risk of mechanical failure. Iirc Checo got a team warnibg about something similar

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In that case are they just saying that because they thought they would be black flagged as the temps hit critical, or that they thought Nico would freak out and gently caress up?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Merc didn't tell Nico because they were rightly worried he would melt down and subsequently shriek about how the car feels funny on the radio every 30 seconds before losing his lead to a gust of wind.

There is an alarm system in the car that would have told him his brakes were toast if the temps got any higher.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did the same thing happen to Lewis then? At one point he said "how do I turn this alarm off?" "I'm sorry I can't tell you that Lewis" and that was never explained. They did say Nico's problem was down to debris, but it could just because neither cars can follow closely behind another without melting.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

learnincurve posted:

Did the same thing happen to Lewis then? At one point he said "how do I turn this alarm off?" "I'm sorry I can't tell you that Lewis" and that was never explained. They did say Nico's problem was down to debris, but it could just because neither cars can follow closely behind another without melting.

An alarm going off is annoying but isn't a critical/safety issue like a brake failure would be. Mercedes are either exaggerating the severity of the brake issues to manufacture some drama and play games with the other teams, or they don't read the rules carefully. Normally I'd suggest it was the former, but in qualifying we saw half of the teams convinced that they were allowed to complete a flying lap after the 90 second countdown, so maybe rule interpretation isn't high on anyone's priority list.

E: nvm I misinterpreted your post. Lewis may have had the same problem. Still, Merc are dumb for thinking they aren't allowed to tell drivers that their brakes are about to explode

runoverbobby fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 21, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My impression is that the car was nearing the condition where they would have told Nico that his brakes were gone, not that he was actually driving around with critical brakes. They probably could have done the same message about 'mind your brakes or you won't finish the race' that someone else got but they didn't for some reason.

I don't remember if anyone asked Lewis what the alarm was after the race.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

"How do I turn the alarm off?"

"I'm afraid I can't say, Lewis."

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I think the alarm for Lewis was to do with the safety car coming in, possibly a reminder to turn the safety car lap delta off. The engineer is right that he's not allowed to say how to do that, but I think he was also deliberately making a point about the silliness of it by phrasing it that way.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lewis' engineer grew tired of his poo poo at least a season ago and has been getting steadily more sarcastic race by race.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Having watched it a lot and done it myself, falling off a bike is fairly harmless as long as you don't hit anything besides the ground and nothing besides the ground hits you. As long as you have big runoffs on the appropriate turns, the biggest danger is a highside or someone running you over.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"You tell me not to bother you, man"

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Brainwrong posted:

Why was Timmy Mallett in the paddock?

Hiding from Yewtree

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

What track is everyone looking forward to this year if the field is more competitive this season?

Personally I look forward to Suzuka, and kind of wish it were feasible to put it mid calendar. It's such a beast of a track and will not hesitate to gently caress up your lap on any of it's turns. I don't know if it's ~the~ most technical non-street circuit, but it must come close. COTA to me is similar to Suzuka and probably on the same level of difficulty. I guess I love S-sections.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 21, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Mexican GP is pretty fun and it would be nice if everything weren't completely locked up by then.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Australia was a fun race.

I hate a be a debbie downer, but aren't the long straights at Bahrain going to make it 100x easier for the mercs to pass and we'll be back to normal 2014/2015?

This coming from the winner of the round 1 goons GP predictor :smug:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Diet Crack posted:

What track is everyone looking forward to this year if the field is more competitive this season?

Personally I look forward to Suzuka, and kind of wish it were feasible to put it mid calendar. It's such a beast of a track and will not hesitate to gently caress up your lap on any of it's turns. I don't know if it's ~the~ most technical non-street circuit, but it must come close. COTA to me is similar to Suzuka and probably on the same level of difficulty. I guess I love S-sections.

I want a rainy Monaco. That's it.

Last year's best races were on some boring rear end tracks. As long as loving Lewis doesn't win every race from now on, I'll be okay.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

dreesemonkey posted:

I used what would have happened in 2015 and came 16th with 28% accuracy :(

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Australia was a fun race.

I hate a be a debbie downer, but aren't the long straights at Bahrain going to make it 100x easier for the mercs to pass and we'll be back to normal 2014/2015?

mclaren think they will be much stronger in bahrain so idk if it's as simple as better top speed = better in bahrain

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Shanghai will probably be a better measure of where the gap between engines currently is. The Mercs completely shithoused everyone there last year iirc where Bahrain wasn't quite as one sided. Maybe I am wrong though because I am just going on memory.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Sulman posted:

Hiding from Yewtree

I've just found out Mallett is now a "respected" artist. http://www.mallettspalette.co.uk/

Just like Rolf Harris. Maybe he's in Australia as part of a nonce-exchange scheme. We get to jail Harris and Mallett gets to touch some Abbo kids.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh I wish it were not so but he probably is a respected artist in Australia among a certain demographic. British Expat community out there are a bunch of lunatics when it comes to the motherland and very easily fleeced (for example google: British food Australia) . What mallet is doing is churning out acceptable mawkish pictures of "home" and selling them in Australian art shops and via the internet and is probably making a small fortune off of it . Fair play to him though, they will look very nice next to someone's coronation street commemorative place collection.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/jos-verstappen-says-max-s-aggression-positive-681384/

quote:

Jos Verstappen says Max's "aggression" positive

Presented without comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Positive for Fail AIDS.

• Locked thread