Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Until CC kills everyone anyway.
Chrono Cross's timeline stuff is insane and I still don't quite get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm not sure anyone does.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sakurazuka posted:

Realism is the death of fun games.

Not all games should be fun.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Something about two opposing forces that exist across all time and are fighting against one another and then an advanced army killed the original CT team because the army was from another timeline orlsalskdalskdfjasdkfj

I really hated the plot dump kids at the end.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Max Payne 3 was the most generic game ever. I have tried multiple times to get through it but the storyline is just so meandering and boring.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Chrono Cross would be a lot better without sequel baggage but as is it is still a very cool game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lady Naga posted:

Not all games should be fun.

You played Drakengard too huh?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sakurazuka posted:

You played Drakengard too huh?

Thank gently caress no.

PantsBandit posted:

Max Payne 3 was the most generic game ever. I have tried multiple times to get through it but the storyline is just so meandering and boring.

Of all the criticisms of MP3 the story is probably the least valid.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Chrono Cross would be a lot better without sequel baggage but as is it is still a very cool game.

I wish there was more to some of the characters you collect though and more dual techs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I could never get the last weapon I needed to open up the path to the 'Caim ends up in modern Tokyo and gets shot down by a jet' ending.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Of all the criticisms of MP3 the story is probably the least valid.

Ah, Lady Naga telling me my opinion is invalid. Feels like home.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PantsBandit posted:

Ah, Lady Naga telling me my opinion is invalid. Feels like home.

I didn't say invalid, I said least valid.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I could never get the last weapon I needed to open up the path to the 'Caim ends up in modern Tokyo and gets shot down by a jet' ending.

Go back and end it. If you got that far in the game you might as well wrap it up.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The levels were kind of boring but at least serviceable. The shooting was still pretty fun.

The characters were completely forgettable and unsympathetic though. At least in the first couple games Max is trying to save his family or whatever, in 3 it's just some lady that I'm supposed to care about because she represents redemption for Max or some poo poo. But the game gives you no reason to care about her because she has no development other than "rich girl who likes to party".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Max Payne 3 for me was basically 'how can we strip the first two games of all their personality and turn it into a generic TPS'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

Go back and end it. If you got that far in the game you might as well wrap it up.

I just played Nier instead which was a much better decision.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The MP3 story was seriously bad because there are like six hours of unskippable cutscenes about rich Brazilians being zany and Max’s engagement with the plot for 90% of it is going “I don’t care about any of these people or anything that’s happening” and as a result neither did I. Everything about the act of shooting men in that game is great and everything else is so painful.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PantsBandit posted:

The levels were kind of boring but at least serviceable. The shooting was still pretty fun.

The characters were completely forgettable and unsympathetic though. At least in the first couple games Max is trying to save his family or whatever, in 3 it's just some lady that I'm supposed to care about because she represents redemption for Max or some poo poo. But the game gives you no reason to care about her because she has no development other than "rich girl who likes to party".

You're not supposed to care about anyone in Max Payne 3 but Max himself. The whole Fabiana thing is resolved fairly early in the game.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The MP3 story was seriously bad because there are like six hours of unskippable cutscenes about rich Brazilians being zany and Max’s engagement with the plot for 90% of it is going “I don’t care about any of these people or anything that’s happening” and as a result neither did I. Everything about the act of shooting men in that game is great and everything else is so painful.
Max Payne doesn't care about what's going on because he's an rear end in a top hat self-absorbed drunk. You are not supposed to agree with him, you are supposed to want him to not be an alcoholic drunk.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
max payne 2 is good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Max Payne 2 is really loving good

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Max Payne 3 is supposed to be a character study about a guy who loses everything he ever cares about and devolves into horrific substance abuse to deal with his problems, causing him to become horrible at his job. This is undercut by the gameplay being unrepresentative of this fact but whatever even the best games deal with that kind of disconnect and it's hardly a fault of the game-as-written.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

actually the shooting in max payne 3 is dogshit too

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Max "losing everything" and abusing substances is hardly a new or original plot for the series.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AMERICANS WILL DO ANYTHING FOR MONEY -- Max Payne in a sequel made by different developers as a shallow cashgrab for money

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

corn in the bible posted:

actually the shooting in max payne 3 is dogshit too

This doesn't contradict anything I said.

PantsBandit posted:

, in 3 it's just some lady that I'm supposed to care about because she represents redemption for Max or some poo poo. But the game gives you no reason to care about her because she has no development other than "rich girl who likes to party".

I just want to point out how hilariously stupid this is again.

PantsBandit posted:

Max "losing everything" and abusing substances is hardly a new or original plot for the series.
That's sort of the point though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

AMERICANS WILL DO ANYTHING FOR MONEY -- Max Payne in a sequel made by different developers as a shallow cashgrab for money

lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

This doesn't contradict anything I said.

I just want to point out how hilariously stupid this is again.

God drat dude why do you have to be such an rear end in a top hat anytime you discuss anything.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PantsBandit posted:

God drat dude why do you have to be such an rear end in a top hat anytime you discuss anything.

Hey if it's fair to pretend I didn't ever get past a third of Chrono Trigger to make weak-rear end barbs against me, it's fair for me to dismissively criticize people who make sweeping statements about games they barely played.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
No one understands American noir better than a bunch of Finns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The dragon tank is much earlier than a third of the way through CT

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Paladinus posted:

No one understands American noir better than a bunch of Finns.

Finns love anime though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Hey if it's fair to pretend I didn't ever get past a third of Chrono Trigger to make weak-rear end barbs against me, it's fair for me to dismissively criticize people who make sweeping statements about games they barely played.

Max Payne 3 has 14 chapters. The character I mentioned drives the entire plotline until the end of chapter 7. I think it's pretty reasonable to criticize a game for making 50% of the plot revolve around rescuing a character that has no characterization at all.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PantsBandit posted:

Max Payne 3 has 14 chapters. The character I mentioned drives the entire plotline until the end of chapter 7. I think it's pretty reasonable to criticize a game for making 50% of the plot revolve around rescuing a character that has no characterization at all.

Except that it doesn't but okay.

Why the gently caress does Last Crusade revolve around rescuing a grail that has no characterization?!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the new character in persona 4 golden sucks a lot

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Max Payne doesn't care about what's going on because he's an rear end in a top hat self-absorbed drunk. You are not supposed to agree with him, you are supposed to want him to not be an alcoholic drunk.
Well yeah but I also just wanted him to tell everyone involved to gently caress off and get out of Brazil. It's the volume of “story” (cutscenes) focusing on the wrong thing that’s the problem – it’s criminally boring. It’s like 90% Max glaring at happy Brazilians and mumbling about how he doesn’t care because Rockstar are completely incapable of subtlety. Halfway through the game you get a neverending flashback cutscene of Max being at a boat party with idiot Brazilian guy #3 and it plays out exactly like the same as the nightclub cutscene which also never loving ended in the second or third level. We get it, guys. The best parts of the game were the flashback chapters and not only because that bit where you shoot the guy in the pub is really well-done, though that helps

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The dragon tank is much earlier than a third of the way through CT

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've said this before, but I'll say it every time Max Payne 3 is brought up: The completely unforgivable thing that it does is reset your location and selected weapon for every "oh look, there's a bad guy" mini cutscene.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Well yeah but I also just wanted him to tell everyone involved to gently caress off and get out of Brazil. It's the volume of “story” (cutscenes) focusing on the wrong thing that’s the problem – it’s criminally boring. It’s like 90% Max glaring at happy Brazilians and mumbling about how he doesn’t care because Rockstar are completely incapable of subtlety. Halfway through the game you get a neverending flashback cutscene of Max being at a boat party with idiot Brazilian guy #3 and it plays out exactly like the same as the nightclub cutscene which also never loving ended in the second or third level. We get it, guys. The best parts of the game were the flashback chapters and not only because that bit where you shoot the guy in the pub is really well-done, though that helps

I guess we just approached the game with different perspectives because to me those cutscenes didn't "never end" and are basically a footnote next to the much more important moments like when he cleans himself up, or the airport shootout to Tears, or the headache-inducing drinking montages, or Payne getting chewed out for not doing his loving job.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
max payne in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think MP3 worked fine on paper and the issue is just that Rockstar is about as subtle as, well, Max Payne.

• Locked thread