Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Today is our quarterly meeting. Someone has decided to use this meeting as a platform to call me out in front of the other 39 participants, which includes all the executive leadership. This employee claims that I have a grudge against him and that I haven't replied to his emails for over a year. He blames me for loss of sales, productivity, and "almost daily frustration". Its so absurd that I almost feel like I am having a prank played on me. I let him know that now isn't the best time to bring this up and that maybe giving me a call in the last year could have been more constructive. An executive that is a general, all purpose dickbag decides that indeed it is a good time for me to tell them why I haven't replied. Good news though! I have my laptop with me and I can connect it to the projector! Lets derail this entire meeting to see whats going on.

:colbert: Okay, first of all, why haven't you used the helpdesk email address we require for all issues?
:argh: I don't know the email address
:colbert: I include it in every single email broadcast I send to the entire company which is at least every other week.
:argh: In any case you check your inbox right? Why are you ignoring my emails?
:colbert: I don't recall ever getting an email from you for anything.
:argh: Well I have my email on my phone if you need proof
:colbert: That is okay, lets pull up your email on my laptop and see. *Projects it for the entire room
:argh: You can do that?
:colbert: Yep *does search under his sent items for me
:argh: Aha! See! Look at all these emails!
:colbert: You sent this to my personal business gmail address. I haven't checked this email since I was hired here.
:argh: oh, how was I suppose to know?
:colbert: How were you suppose to know what email address you were sending email to? How did you even get this email address?
:argh: I don't know.
:colbert: Okay cool, for all future issues no matter the severity, please email the helpdesk. If you feel like I am ignoring you, call me at my desk. If you have a personal problem with me, bring it up to me or my manager before you call me out at a meeting.
:argh: Fine

Ceo: No more derails for the rest of this meeting. Actually, no more derails at this meeting ever again. This was embarrassing for us. We should be able to work together without needing an investigation.

I am still really confused how he got my personal gmail address. I checked my gmail after and I don't have a single sent email from that address to my company. Its not part of my exchange outlook address book details either. This is loving bizarre.

I talked to my boss and HR right after that meeting. HR was at least in agreement that she should talk to this employee and his boss immediately. My boss let me take the rest of the afternoon off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

Today is our quarterly meeting. Someone has decided to use this meeting as a platform to call me out in front of the other 39 participants, which includes all the executive leadership. This employee claims that I have a grudge against him and that I haven't replied to his emails for over a year. He blames me for loss of sales, productivity, and "almost daily frustration". Its so absurd that I almost feel like I am having a prank played on me. I let him know that now isn't the best time to bring this up and that maybe giving me a call in the last year could have been more constructive. An executive that is a general, all purpose dickbag decides that indeed it is a good time for me to tell them why I haven't replied. Good news though! I have my laptop with me and I can connect it to the projector! Lets derail this entire meeting to see whats going on.

:colbert: Okay, first of all, why haven't you used the helpdesk email address we require for all issues?
:argh: I don't know the email address
:colbert: I include it in every single email broadcast I send to the entire company which is at least every other week.
:argh: In any case you check your inbox right? Why are you ignoring my emails?
:colbert: I don't recall ever getting an email from you for anything.
:argh: Well I have my email on my phone if you need proof
:colbert: That is okay, lets pull up your email on my laptop and see. *Projects it for the entire room
:argh: You can do that?
:colbert: Yep *does search under his sent items for me
:argh: Aha! See! Look at all these emails!
:colbert: You sent this to my personal business gmail address. I haven't checked this email since I was hired here.
:argh: oh, how was I suppose to know?
:colbert: How were you suppose to know what email address you were sending email to? How did you even get this email address?
:argh: I don't know.
:colbert: Okay cool, for all future issues no matter the severity, please email the helpdesk. If you feel like I am ignoring you, call me at my desk. If you have a personal problem with me, bring it up to me or my manager before you call me out at a meeting.
:argh: Fine

Ceo: No more derails for the rest of this meeting. Actually, no more derails at this meeting ever again. This was embarrassing for us. We should be able to work together without needing an investigation.

I am still really confused how he got my personal gmail address. I checked my gmail after and I don't have a single sent email from that address to my company. Its not part of my exchange outlook address book details either. This is loving bizarre.

I talked to my boss and HR right after that meeting. HR was at least in agreement that she should talk to this employee and his boss immediately. My boss let me take the rest of the afternoon off.

At least your CEO sounds sane in this story

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah but if the angry idiot is a salesman, there's a high chance he's untouchable and nothing will actually come of it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

^^^ extra Scotch for Sickening after that one, :wtc:

Varkk posted:

Some vendors make the price for extending beyond three or five years into "let us consider the price of a brand new unit" territory.

I should say I'm with Sickening and you on this, in that I'd rather replace on a three-year schedule than extend warranties. However you have to get the clients that understand the hardware cycle and are willing to in fact replace hardware on that schedule, rather than running poo poo into the ground. And most of the small to midsize companies are most decidedly not of that persuasion - "but we just BOUGHT this server, what do you mean it's time to replace it, it cost almost $5,000! That's a lot of money!"

...no it isn't, gently caress off, poo poo's entering the bad part of the bathtub curve and is too slow/power-hungry besides, replace your poo poo.

Time for Scotch.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 18, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

stevewm posted:

We where targeted several weeks ago. We had posted some short bios about some of the company executives and the owner/CEO as part of a website redesign. It didn't take long for scammers to start using this little bit of information to send forged emails.

I already had our DMARC set to Quarantine, so they all ended up in SPAM. But the event prompted me to change our DMARC policy to Reject, now we never see them :D

I'm surprised my old company never got hit. Profiles of all the major executives on the webpage, the most senior IT guy is a 26-year-old that doesn't know GPO, but knows all of the executives from being from the same buttfuck nowhere town, so he got all of his superiors to quit or be fired. The NAS folder with Office got Cryptowall, I sent him an email explaining what it is. He doesn't reply, but the next day he sends out an email saying we're upgrading to 365. :10bux: says there wasn't a backup. The rest of our IT policies were just as awful as you would think.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I found out yesterday from a coworker that, some time ago, when he was promoted from Helpdesk 2 to Junior SysAdmin, it was framed to him as a lateral move and he wasn't given a raise. I was given a raise at that time, instead. This occurred because, if they hadn't, Dude would have been making more as a junior than I was as a standard. Which means not only did they know I wasn't being fairly compensated, that I didn't earn that compensation based on my skill and work, but also that I was used as an excuse to gently caress someone else over.

Funny thing, when people who are angry at their jobs find out that other people are, too, they start talking about what is making them angry. This is just the latest in a long string of bullshit, but at least I was doing interesting work. This one made me sick, though. I'm still nauseated.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Varkk posted:

Some vendors make the price for extending beyond three or five years into "let us consider the price of a brand new unit" territory.

Zebra warranties are hilarious its 40% the cost of a new unit per year and print heads aren't covered because they are "consumable" So you want me to buy this 3 year warranty that costs the same as a new one? How about I just buy a 2nd one leave it on a shelf instead?

e: this is for their high end stuff that usually lasts 5-10 years without needing a part changed because it's all metal.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

70 year old controller is 'not getting' the new ERP system that we are training people on and taking the smaller companies live with.

"Maybe we need to re-think this" -> Boss Dude

Maybe we need to tell her to loving retire. If she doesn't want to LEARN FANCY NEW COMPUTERS maybe we should re-think who our controller is. She drives to the bank at lunch and writes journal entries in by hand into a binder like it's 1962

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

70 year old controller
FANCY NEW COMPUTERS
like it's 1962
Well then by comparison AS/400 guy is a young forward-looking buck using these newfangled minicomputers from the late 1980's

e: I spell gud

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 18, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I hate marketing with such a passion. They're like sales except not out of the office as much. New job titles for everyone! Hooray for meaningless titles. Everyone in marketing is either a vp, manager or director of something. Including the lowest person on the totem pole. Now they've turned to IT. I'm going to the DevOps tech. I'm a generalist networking and windows admin with a specialty in SCCM. Nothing remotely related to DevOps but one of these stupid assholes heard the name somewhere and now wants to get to say that their work does DevOps so new title for me.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 18, 2016

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Faxes.... and stupid people who insist on faxing documents when superior alternatives exist....

Branch location called me saying they had a vendor complaining they could not get a fax through to us. I sent the branch a test fax, it worked fine. Told the vendor this; after they tried and failed 6+ times to fax this document to us. They said they would just email us the PDF.... :mad: Why did you waste our time trying to loving fax when you had the original file?!?! :mad:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I hate marketing with such a passion. They're like sales except not out of the office as much. New job titles for everyone! Hooray for meaningless titles. Everyone in marketing is either a vp, manager or director of something. Including the lowest person on the totem pole. Now they've turned to IT. I'm going to the DevOps tech. I'm a generalist networking and windows admin with a specialty in SCCM. Nothing remotely related to DevOps but one of these stupid assholes heard the name somewhere and now wants to get to say that there work does DevOps so new title for me.

Show them the going rate for DevOps engineers and see what they can do about paying you market rate.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I hate marketing with such a passion. They're like sales except not out of the office as much. New job titles for everyone! Hooray for meaningless titles. Everyone in marketing is either a vp, manager or director of something. Including the lowest person on the totem pole. Now they've turned to IT. I'm going to the DevOps tech. I'm a generalist networking and windows admin with a specialty in SCCM. Nothing remotely related to DevOps but one of these stupid assholes heard the name somewhere and now wants to get to say that there work does DevOps so new title for me.

The most frustrating meeting I've ever been in involved a conference call with Adobe customer services. We were encountering a technical issue and basically needed an engineer on the line to explain how to actually call their api (since their awful documentation neglected how to actually make the calls to the server). Cue three people that are clearly non technical introducing themselves with their full title, audibly circle jerking about how impressive their titles are, and the poo poo cherry on top of the poo poo sundae was that after hearing our problem they tried to sell us customer support, despite our company already paying for the top tier of their customer services.

Our CTO was on the call and he's normally a pretty chill and soft spoken guy and you could hear the malice dripping from his words when he finally spoke.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tigren posted:

Show them the going rate for DevOps engineers and see what they can do about paying you market rate.

Thank them for the promotion. Afterwards, tell them you'd like a match to market rates.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
At least marketing is always good for a few "we spent months on this (pointless bullshit)" projects with misspellings in the emails. No matter what company I've worked at.

No see this vendor luncheon is SUPER IMPORTANT thats why marketing spent a zillion dollars on it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Things not pissing me off: A small bonus and honest praise and gratitude from my manager, the lead DBA, and the head of IT!

The praise and such was because I came up with a way to shrink our application's database by about 80GB, which the original size of the database was really giving our DBAs headaches and making things more painful for everyone really. I've been working with our lead DBA on this little project off and on for the past month, and we have finally ran the process end to end and finally saw the end results, which he is really happy about.

The bonus wasn't actually related to that, but is a company-wide thing. Most people got a way bigger one than I did, but mine is mainly small because I was only here for 3 months last year. Hopefully the company-wide one next year will be close to what this year was(my coworker said she got an 11% bonus. As in 11% of her salary. Yeah).

Both praise and bonuses are rather new things for me, nothing like them existed at either of my previous jobs!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pissing me off, I have a server that is scheduled to be replaced so I haven't put too much thought into the problems we have with the drives not giving enough performance. The server had 4 out of 8 populated bays guess how it's setup?
15kRPM Drives in RAID5 with a hot spare. I always had assumed it was 2 RAID1s nope the guy that set this up instead of getting a nice RAID 10 with 8 drives made this mess. Throughput is 58MB/s which made me think they were 10ks without physically looking at it. Decided to actually take a look since next week I'm going to nail down what I need for the replacement.

I really shouldn't be surprised this is the same guy that gave me a 4 drive NAS in RAID6.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Client took a backup of production at 12:30 am.
Client then works on prod all morning
Client then decides to do an unscheduled failover of Prod -> DR to test
Client runs the "restore backup on DR" script
Client restores 12:30 am backup to DR
Client works on DR all day, doesn't notice that changes made after 12:30 and before failover aren't there
Client then PUSHES DR DATABASE BACK TO PROD AND FAILS BACK TO PROD
CLIENT THEN NOTICES ALL MORNING WORK IS MISSING AND CALLS ME FOR URGENT ANALYSIS

Jony Ives has to get out a Paint window and draw out the sequence of events for clients to understand what they did wrong

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off, I have a server that is scheduled to be replaced so I haven't put too much thought into the problems we have with the drives not giving enough performance. The server had 4 out of 8 populated bays guess how it's setup?
15kRPM Drives in RAID5 with a hot spare. I always had assumed it was 2 RAID1s nope the guy that set this up instead of getting a nice RAID 10 with 8 drives made this mess. Throughput is 58MB/s which made me think they were 10ks without physically looking at it. Decided to actually take a look since next week I'm going to nail down what I need for the replacement.

I really shouldn't be surprised this is the same guy that gave me a 4 drive NAS in RAID6.

Umm, doesn't raid 5 outperform raid 1? Did you mistype something?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Client works on DR all day, doesn't notice that changes made after 12:30 and before failover aren't there
CLIENT THEN NOTICES ALL MORNING WORK IS MISSING AND CALLS ME FOR URGENT ANALYSIS

Jony Ives has to get out a Paint window and draw out the sequence of events for clients to understand what they did wrong

on the bright side congrats on a successful DR -> Production restoration! :toot:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

At least fail overs appear to be working!

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Sickening posted:

This can depend on the read/write profile and the hardware being used.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sickening posted:

Using 4 our of 8 drives, you could get 8 10k RPM Drives in a RAID10 for better performance for about the same price.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

pixaal posted:

Using 4 our of 8 drives, you could get 8 10k RPM Drives in a RAID10 for better performance for about the same price.

That isn't what I was responding to. Did you type raid 1 where you meant to say raid 10?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sickening posted:

That isn't what I was responding to. Did you type raid 1 where you meant to say raid 10?

No I thought it was 2 RAID 1s because that is how the other servers are setup. A 4 drive RAID10 using the spare would be faster too. There is just so much wrong with the config.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Ozz81 posted:

Reminds me of a current client that had an on-site IT manager who put in his notice after a recent vacation. Dude would constantly watch us like a hawk whenever we were logged into servers or doing any work in their environment. We spent a week getting as much info from him as we could, and by the end of that week he was so checked out that he avoided us completely. We found out later from an engineer working on site that former IT manager had a ton of work and projects that had piled up...and he never documented any of it. Didn't tell our engineers about any on-site appointments he'd set up for running network cables, issues with printers or other equipment, computers that crashed and needed rebuilding, you name it. And to top the poo poo sundae, IT managers boss didn't tell anyone the guy was leaving until 2 days before his last work day - then "surprised" the front desk receptionist (who was out on vacation) by not telling her she'd be the main point of contact on site after IT manager was gone. Such a clusterfuck but at least that pain in our rear end was gone, one of our engineers who worked with him talked about how moving a network printer turned into a 3 hour ordeal because IT manager didn't believe that the IP/subnet needed to be changed before the printer would work in another spot on a separate internal VLAN. Funny enough the guy took a job as IT manager with a different company in town...and they're mostly a Mac shop, which he knows absolutely gently caress-all about using or configuring :lol:

Had to come back to this one because of context...

Both me and my partner engineer got calls on our work cell phones from this idiot asking to help out. Right after he decided to bounce from the old job, ignore our phone calls and emails asking him for information, and ended up leaving a ton of unfinished work that we had to clean up in his wake. Not sure what my partner said but I laughed, hung up, and ignored any other calls from his number. gently caress you, pal :cheers:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bigass Moth posted:

At least marketing is always good for a few "we spent months on this (pointless bullshit)" projects with misspellings in the emails. No matter what company I've worked at.

It's sort of a mix between marketing and directors, but when someone gets some brilliant idea that came to them while taking a poo poo which needs to be deployed right away... they generally forget about it if I half-rear end whatever is they want without completing it.

Sales director wanted alternate E-mail addresses for a select few people along with custom E-mail signatures and dedicated telephone lines, this sounds reasonable except the whole brief consisted of a one minute chat. I set up the addresses but he never responded about what he actually wanted and the staff had no idea about the project anyway.

Events manager wanted a digital display, couldn't give any kind of decent answer about what she wanted to display so I couldn't do any proper research. After piling over managers on my case I eventually set up a cheap 50" TV with a Chromebit plugged in with kiosk software to display a lovely public Google Sheet she can dick around in. Same person also hired someone this Monday with zero warning, props for handing me a new staff requirements sheet, minus props for doing it on the day.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So what should have been a all day event with my boss of going over all our upcoming projects, going over certain systems and transferring accounts was instead 3 hours. As he was meeting someone for lunch at 12:30, and then meeting with a person at the new company he is going to so he can start their paperwork. We had 2 weeks, but he didn't let go of things until the last day.

Also he left so suddenly that a lot of people didn't know he was already gone by 12:15, and they came by to wish him well only to find an empty office.

However, I was finally able to give the admin in another department the administrator password to some hardware and systems that they manage, boss refused to give that up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The guy who basically pushed through his own choice of totally poo poo monitoring platform also thinks it's somebody else's job to schedule downtime for hosts they are working on :fuckoff:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sub-contractors that can't spell their own name.

YOUR USER NAME IS ZIMMERMAN. Z-I-M-M-E-R-M-A-N. YOU FORGOT YOUR PASSWORD?

:argh:

Guy is old as mud, and from Mississippi, or something. Love talking to him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Be careful you don't get shot in self defense!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Halfheartedly pissing me a little bit off:

"You are now entering a secure site!"

[Spinning logo]

SSL2 :hurr:

Edit: This is a healthcare-related site with much personal info :smithicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can't figure out how to use a private key and certificate for a wildcard SSL cert? Just regenerate it and supply a new CSR thrown out of whatever lovely application you are working with. Then don't say you've done it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Potato Salad posted:

[Spinning logo]

Getting hit with a DROWN attack is likely the least of that site's worries. Healthcare is notoriously terrible for all things security.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

[Spinning logo]

My latest security related annoyance is the phone app for my bank. If you don't remember to hit the "log off" button every time you finish with the app and your login expires, the next time you open the app you get an alert popup about how it needs to "securely log you off." It can't just do this basic task, it obligates you to press "ok" every single time it happens before you can do anything else with the phone.

I don't even know what "securely logged off" means. If the credential has expired, I'm already logged off, so just purge your cache and give me a login prompt.

Morons.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
My bank, if you don't log off and come back you see the login screen like normal. If you try to log in, you get an error and have to start over.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Manager Guy: Hey, we want to move to this software package. Review what it'll take to convert what we have to this package.

*1 Month Later*

Arsten: Hey, here is the conversion process, here is the training map, and estimated cost of conversion.
Manager Guy: Oh, great! Thanks! I'm going to go get a quote on the license pricing!
Arsten: :stare: Why wasn't this a part of the discussion long before you ever talked to me about conversion?
Manager Guy: Well, we wanted to make sure we could convert everything over before we moved forward.
Arsten: You wasted a month of project time, you aren't going to pay $5,000 a seat for 42 users.
Manager Guy: Oh, it can't possibly be that much. I'll get back to you soon to start 'er up.

*1 Week Later*
Manager Guy: Oh, wow. Did you know that it's $5,000 per seat?? We just can't do that for, like, 15 people.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Hurricane Electric's DNS is down. Not "the server is down and not returning results," as we have redundant providers and wouldn't be affected. No, we're in the hell or "returning empty results with NOERROR," so the majority of the Internet can't see us. I don't even know what to do against that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have this guy here who always has weird computer issues (usually imaginary) and then puts a new helpdesk ticket in every drat time instead of replying to the first one. And he always does them at either 6:30am when nobody is here or 5:30pm when nobody is here.

my helpdesk guy tried to schedule something with him today. Are you open this morning? What about lunch?

OMG I'M SO BUSY TODAY WE'LL HAVE TO TRY ANOTHER DAY I HOPE MY COMPUTER DOESN'T EXPLODED I AM SO MAD

What's the guy doing right now? Looking at crossfit leaderboards for the last half hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Why is this still a thing: