Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pivo posted:

The 5 is still good. I was using mine until late last year and other than a sticky home button, it was perfectly good. Everything worked just fine. It was RAM-constrained, app switching sucked because everything had to reload, but it was never... terrible. Considering how cheap you can pick one up, if you're like totally destitute and need an iOS phone, it's a better option than the SE or whatever will be.

edit: I mean, this thing is going to be around $500 CAD off-contract at least, you could get a nice 5S with 64GB of storage for half that much on a good day. If penny-pinching is your goal, it doesn't make sense. But I'm sure it'll sell like hotcakes to teens and kids.

The 5 is bad because it's 32 bit.. no ad blockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

It's rumored to have the same internals as the iPhone 6S. That's just a standard phone but in the typical 4" Form Factor.

It it does everything it's claim but pre-ordering day one. My 5S still works but after having 3 screen replacements it's starting to fall apart.

I'm pretty sure the internals will rival the 6, not the 6S.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah, if you buy a 32-bit iPhone in 2016 I feel bad for you, son.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

TraderStav posted:

poo poo. There's an announcement tomorrow? I just ordered an iPod touch off of amazon for my kids birthday. Expecting a refresh on that also?

They just updated the ipod touch last year iirc so I wouldn't be worried. It normally takes them 2-4 years to refresh.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm pretty sure the internals will rival the 6, not the 6S.
If that turns out to be true, then it'll loving suck. If that's the only way they feel they can keep to that price point + form factor, I might as well just give up and spring for a 6S+ or a 7+ that, while it definitely won't fit in my pocket, will comfortably last me for the next three years.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

babydonthurtme posted:

If that turns out to be true, then it'll loving suck. If that's the only way they feel they can keep to that price point + form factor, I might as well just give up and spring for a 6S+ or a 7+ that, while it definitely won't fit in my pocket, will comfortably last me for the next three years.
Why not get a regular 7 that will fit in your pocket?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

babydonthurtme posted:

Apple has been standardizing on the A8 for awhile, you'll get support even if it is iPhone 6 internals. Chill.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pivo posted:

Not a chance. That's in the fall. I'd be surprised if they finalized the design, much less started mass production.

But I thought iPhone 7 was shipping in the fall, in September? When are they going to announce it?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Michael Scott posted:

But I thought iPhone 7 was shipping in the fall, in September? When are they going to announce it?

Are you new to ipgones? christ.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Why not get a regular 7 that will fit in your pocket?
The pockets on my favorite pants are stupidly small. Seriously, my 5S only just fits, the 6/7 would not. Finding ladies pants that have decently sized pockets is annoying.

Also, I've just never liked the in-between-y size of the 6 :v:. We couldn't afford new phones up until very recently anyway, since I prefer buying it outright vs the payment plan/contract route, so I decided that when I could afford to drop $700+ on a new phone, it might as well be on a massive hugephone. Naturally Apple then announced a cute smaller phone to tempt my heart :ohdear:

carry on then posted:

Apple has been standardizing on the A8 for awhile, you'll get support even if it is iPhone 6 internals. Chill.
It's not the support I'm worrying about, it's the whole new phone feeling, the big jump in battery life + performance. I want to play dumb phone games again without my battery dropping like a rock.

babydonthurtme fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 21, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pivo posted:

The 5 is still good. I was using mine until late last year and other than a sticky home button, it was perfectly good. Everything worked just fine. It was RAM-constrained, app switching sucked because everything had to reload, but it was never... terrible. Considering how cheap you can pick one up, if you're like totally destitute and need an iOS phone, it's a better option than the SE or whatever will be.

Doesn't the 5 have the same RAM (i.e. 1GB) as the 5S and 6? It shouldn't be constrained especially with the lower-res screen.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

carry on then posted:

Putting an A8 in the SE would be disappointing because the A8 is not appreciably faster than the A7. (At the clock speeds they run it at in the iPhone 6, anyway.)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Doesn't the 5 have the same RAM (i.e. 1GB) as the 5S and 6? It shouldn't be constrained especially with the lower-res screen.

Probably. Can't be assed to look it up but I trust you. But I had the 5, and then the 6S, so I didn't experience those other models. With the new versions of iOS, and apps growing in size, the RAM felt constrained. In Safari for example tabs would always reload. App switching would in a lot of cases reload. I'm just saying it still felt OK to use even with all the modern software, and I don't know that there was anything I desperately desired other than a nicer camera and TouchID. If you can get a 5 for a steal and you're broke as gently caress, it's not a bad solution IMO. But with new phones coming out, the 5S and 6 will be good on a budget, too.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I just need a modern, up-to-date iPhone that will survive the blighted hellscape that is my back pocket.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I feel like, if you don't love "My Fair Lady" and you eat sushi but only vegetarian sushi (never any fish!) then we could never ever truly get along, see eye-to-eye.

I am adding "carry your phone in your back pocket" to that list. I know you're out there, and you're all hosed up, and totally wrong. About that thing, and probably a great many other things.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

They usually announce the new phone around September

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm totally comfortable giving whichever telecom another $300 w/ a 2-year Contract for a non-constrained phone that fits in my hand and pocket.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Pivo posted:

It's a cheap entry-level small smartphone for people who want to run iOS. If you're in this thread, you've probably drank the Kool-Aid to a sufficient degree that you don't need the cheapo entry level one, nothing but the latest flagship will do if you're shopping. Maybe you'll get one for your kid so he can send dick pics to little Susie.

If it's the price point you're after, well, if a few hundred bucks matters you really probably shouldn't be buying brand new luxury electronics. You need a phone, sure, just get a used 5 or 5S. Still good, way cheaper.

it's the size more than anything for me. i already have an ipad for anything i want a large screen for.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Tab8715 posted:

I'm totally comfortable giving whichever telecom another $300 w/ a 2-year Contract for a non-constrained phone that fits in my hand and pocket.

In the US at least, carriers don't do this anymore. You have to either buy the phone or rent it.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Pivo posted:

I feel like, if you don't love "My Fair Lady" and you eat sushi but only vegetarian sushi (never any fish!) then we could never ever truly get along, see eye-to-eye.

I am adding "carry your phone in your back pocket" to that list. I know you're out there, and you're all hosed up, and totally wrong. About that thing, and probably a great many other things.

That's ridiculous. Where else would it even go? :confused:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Lazyhound posted:

That's ridiculous. Where else would it even go? :confused:

Front-left pocket is the phone pocket

I feel weird without its weight there

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

Front-left pocket is the phone pocket

I feel weird without its weight there

Front right. Carrying a phone in your back pocket seems like the dumbest poo poo to me. What happens when you sit down? Do you just sit on your phone? Why the gently caress would you do that?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Your butt is the fleshiest of all areas unless you don't have an rear end at all.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
A good thing to do with your phone is to avoid putting the entire weight of your human body on it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Back pocket is prime pickpocket positioning.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

Front right. Carrying a phone in your back pocket seems like the dumbest poo poo to me. What happens when you sit down? Do you just sit on your phone? Why the gently caress would you do that?

Well, 90% of the time my phone is going to be in my hand if I'm sitting down anyway, but yeah, I sat on my iPhone 5 for years without a care in the world and it was flat as a board when I traded it in.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

Well, 90% of the time my phone is going to be in my hand if I'm sitting down anyway, but yeah, I sat on my iPhone 5 for years without a care in the world and it was flat as a board when I traded it in.

Bendgate aside I don't think that's really the concern. First - it's uncomfortable as gently caress! Why would you sit on your phone?! I don't understand people who keep their wallets in their back pocket too. What, so like one side of your rear end is slightly higher? I feel like that'd be really bad for your back. I tried it once and it simply hurt. Second - What if you want to use your phone while sitting? Gotta stand up a bit to take it out, or like, lean forward and reach into your rear end awkwardly. Third - You COULD potentially break the phone.

Know what I keep in my back pockets? Receipts. That's it. Phone goes front-right, unless I have my coat & I'm using my headphones, then it's front-left in the coat pocket.

You back-pocket people are weird as hell.

edit: Although for ladies it does make sense. You often don't even have pockets and your pants are really tight. All the girls I know 1- carry it in their purse 2- carry it in their hands if they want quick access to it 3- flop it down on any surface next to anywhere they're sitting 4- and subsequently every few weeks I see a Facebook post "Lost my phone, text me your numbers please!" Gyal dem need pockets :P

Pivo fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 21, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

A good thing to do with your phone is to avoid putting the entire weight of your human body on it

Good thing no one has pockets in the soles of their shoes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Back pocket is prime pickpocket positioning.

Where do you recommend a fellow Victorian gentleman living in Dickensian times keep his valuables?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The time I dropped my iPhone 4 onto concrete was the last time I put a phone in my back pocket and ran up stairs

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

Where do you recommend a fellow Victorian gentleman living in Dickensian times keep his valuables?

If you're in a North American city, pickpockets aren't usually a thing unless you're at Times Square or something, but in Central and Eastern Europe, Southeast Asia, South America, they're everywhere.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There isn't a point of the day I'm not wasting my life playing freemium anime games on my phone so I don't really need pockets.

I do have a sexy Brown Leather Case I get to show off all the time, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pivo posted:

If you're in a North American city, pickpockets aren't usually a thing unless you're at Times Square or something, but in Central and Eastern Europe, Southeast Asia, South America, they're everywhere.

I've had an iPhone (not mine) stolen from my back pocket in a non-lovely Dublin nightclub. Would never keep a phone there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Someone should probably post an event thread.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pivo posted:

Bendgate aside I don't think that's really the concern. First - it's uncomfortable as gently caress! Why would you sit on your phone?! I don't understand people who keep their wallets in their back pocket too. What, so like one side of your rear end is slightly higher? I feel like that'd be really bad for your back. I tried it once and it simply hurt. Second - What if you want to use your phone while sitting? Gotta stand up a bit to take it out, or like, lean forward and reach into your rear end awkwardly. Third - You COULD potentially break the phone.

Know what I keep in my back pockets? Receipts. That's it. Phone goes front-right, unless I have my coat & I'm using my headphones, then it's front-left in the coat pocket.

You back-pocket people are weird as hell.

edit: Although for ladies it does make sense. You often don't even have pockets and your pants are really tight. All the girls I know 1- carry it in their purse 2- carry it in their hands if they want quick access to it 3- flop it down on any surface next to anywhere they're sitting 4- and subsequently every few weeks I see a Facebook post "Lost my phone, text me your numbers please!" Gyal dem need pockets :P

Most receipts are printed on thermal paper, Good job heating them up and fading all the print away. The only things that belong in a back pocket are street game accessories, like pogs, marbles, jacks, and basketballs.

But for real who gives a poo poo what you keep in which pocket; it's more important that the user keeps it somewhere they can be aware of its presence if need be than some universal best spot.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

Most receipts are printed on thermal paper, Good job heating them up and fading all the print away.

Ha, they survive the trip home, at least. And actually even if I leave them for a while, they still don't get faded. Maybe my rear end just isn't as hot as yours. ;-)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If your body heat is clearing thermal paper then I can recommend only that you put the iPhone in the nearest pocket to hand, and run to the ER.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it that time again where we post our Every Day Carry ™ ©?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Are you new to ipgones? christ.

Thanks for the worthless post.

spongeworthy posted:

They usually announce the new phone around September

Then when will it ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Michael Scott posted:

Thanks for the worthless post.

Then when will it ship?

September, you racist.