Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Eh, I think his aggression is fine in a racing sense, as long as he uses it to fuel his desire to win. The problem is that he is an 18 year old brat who screams on the radio like a bitchboy whenever anything doesn't go his way. He was right to be pissed about the 8 second pit stop where they had the wrong set of tires ready for him, but being stuck behind his teammate and crying that he wouldn't move over was weak as gently caress. And of course the tears in his eyes caused him to spin out later.

He reminds me of Kurt Busch when he first entered Nascar. Hopefully he will grow out of that poo poo, but his dad encouraging that poo poo in the media isn't helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Jos' media presence only makes Max look like a pissbaby

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah he's so aggressive having his thug of a dad in the paddock ready to throw a punch at somebody.

What a pisseyed human being.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I guarantee you that if the situation was reversed and frog boy didn't have some shitlord hovering behind him at all times and people were saying he's really a number two driver compared to his team mate that he'd shut the gently caress up.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Unless it's for championship position (like wdc) there is no way you could have reasonably expected Sainz to give up his position. I sure as hell wouldn't have.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah he's so aggressive having his thug of a dad in the paddock ready to throw a punch at somebody.

What a pisseyed human being.

Max is much better than his father and Jos should step back from the pit.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea at what point does he kick his dad out of the garage.

I try to give racers the benefit of the doubt on the radio, they all piss and moan. Alonso, Seb, Lewis are some of the best drivers/whiners.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Max is much better than his father and Jos should step back from the pit.

I want to see him out of the Red Bull machine when he isn't being hyped up. I would say he's definitely better than Jos but he's not some super driver like everyone claims he is.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I should also point out that being better than the guy who couldn't outqualify Enrique Bernoldi on a consistent basis isn't much of an achievement.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I want to see him out of the Red Bull machine when he isn't being hyped up. I would say he's definitely better than Jos but he's not some super driver like everyone claims he is.

He is really good for his age, but when you are basically trained like Ivan Drago from birth you better be at least decent.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Max got pissed off after a pitstop and acted his age over the radio, it's not exactly shocking and it's not like any other 18 year old has never been a bit angsty when they don't get their own way.

What is worrying is that neither his father, the team or Marko had a go at him afterwards and told him it was unacceptable, and in fact seem to be encouraging it. This is an incredibly sheltered kid who is only ever going to learn from the people around him, and someone on the outside needs to step in and get these people away from him pretty bloody quickly or they will utterly ruin him as a human being.

Best thing that could happen is if the FIA does something along the lines of threatening them with licence points and team fines for "bringing the sport into disrepute" every time he does this, unless they replace Jos with Jean Todt's son, (Massa's manager, was Jules' manager, and in a year or two will have no major clients) and amend his contract to a yearly one. Red bull like to think he has a 10 year contract with them but I'm sure Ferrari's lawyers are laughing at the idea of a contract signed by the father of a 15 year old with a record for domestic abuse ever standing up to a court challenge.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

learnincurve posted:

Best thing that could happen is if the FIA does something along the lines of threatening them with licence points and team fines for "bringing the sport into disrepute" every time he does this

AFL House, is that you?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

learnincurve posted:

Max got pissed off after a pitstop and acted his age over the radio, it's not exactly shocking and it's not like any other 18 year old has never been a bit angsty when they don't get their own way.

What is worrying is that neither his father, the team or Marko had a go at him afterwards and told him it was unacceptable, and in fact seem to be encouraging it. This is an incredibly sheltered kid who is only ever going to learn from the people around him, and someone on the outside needs to step in and get these people away from him pretty bloody quickly or they will utterly ruin him as a human being.

Best thing that could happen is if the FIA does something along the lines of threatening them with licence points and team fines for "bringing the sport into disrepute" every time he does this, unless they replace Jos with Jean Todt's son, (Massa's manager, was Jules' manager, and in a year or two will have no major clients) and amend his contract to a yearly one. Red bull like to think he has a 10 year contract with them but I'm sure Ferrari's lawyers are laughing at the idea of a contract signed by the father of a 15 year old with a record for domestic abuse ever standing up to a court challenge.
He's allowed to be a poo poo to his team on the radio. It's STRs prerogative to punish him, not the FIA.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I don't think FIA needs to get into regulating driver behavior outside of actual physical or verbal confrontations between drivers. Being a bitchbaby on the radio doesn't deserve some kind of fine. The last thing this sport needs is a bunch of drivers acting like boring robots with no personality.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
But if his team isn't punishing him and the culture around him is making him a horrible person then surely it's the right thing to do to step in and say "OK this red bull young driver death match program is terrible and causing real damage to people, and this Jos Verstappen bullshit is a step too far, if you don't pack this poo poo in then we will use this obscure and never used rule against you" These people lock kids as young as 13 into 10 year contracts. How can some kid aged 13-16 know if they are being manipulated by parents and the people around them or not? If Max were to tell his dad to gently caress off and claim that he was forced into honouring this contract by him, then there are EU laws heavily biased towards the kids that would make that contract invalid.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
No one under the age of 21 should be allowed in F1.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

But all he has done is be mouthy on the radio? I think you are overreacting to what is going on here. Like yea, his father should shut the gently caress up, but he isn't breaking any laws or anything so why should the sport get involved. Max is 18 and will most likely grow out of his petulance in a few years and if he doesn't he will be bounced out of the sport fast through poor performance.

El Hefe posted:

This is the real answer. At 18, he should be a test driver at best.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I hope no one tells Max to shut the gently caress up so we have one consistent source of entertainment in F1.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

keevo posted:

I hope no one tells Max to shut the gently caress up so we have one consistent source of entertainment in F1.

:agreed:
I'm not going to be cheering him on anymore. I'll sure as gently caress laugh at him flipping out over 8 second pitstops, and then doing donuts because he can't stop crying.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
How are you guys complaining about one of the funniest radio outbursts in a while?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I want him to do well only because of blinding nationalism :geert:, but yeah he needs to continue being a baby because its hilarious

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

But if his team isn't punishing him and the culture around him is making him a horrible person then surely it's the right thing to do to step in and say "OK this red bull young driver death match program is terrible and causing real damage to people, and this Jos Verstappen bullshit is a step too far, if you don't pack this poo poo in then we will use this obscure and never used rule against you" These people lock kids as young as 13 into 10 year contracts. How can some kid aged 13-16 know if they are being manipulated by parents and the people around them or not? If Max were to tell his dad to gently caress off and claim that he was forced into honouring this contract by him, then there are EU laws heavily biased towards the kids that would make that contract invalid.

this is where the vague "conduct detrimental to NASCAR" rule comes in handy

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I really disliked Jos Verstappen at the time, and I dislike him more now :( He was a gobby wife beating poo poo backmarker who lucked into a car that was far too good for him and quite reliable in an era where if a driver sneezed the car would explode on his first season and has dined out on those two podium places ever since. I would gladly sacrifice Max being a little poo poo over the radio for just one photograph of his face as Max fires him.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

:agreed:
I'm not going to be cheering him on anymore. I'll sure as gently caress laugh at him flipping out over 8 second pitstops, and then doing donuts because he can't stop crying.

Yeah you can't really say he should be sanctioned because it's a good laugh when he's quite poo poo and acting like a baby over it. It's just weird because Red Bull seem to genuinely be run by autists who don't quite understand that this isn't good for them and makes them look even worse. The flip side of it is someone like Alonso where he is trying to extract alot out of a genuinely poo poo package and you feel bad for him when he's frustrated, I don't think they quite understand the difference.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The fan vote...Got it right?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/grosjean-wins-driver-of-the-day-vote-for-australian-gp-681441/

I honestly thought it would be Lewis.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Good job F1 fans for not being totally stupid all the time.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Actually F1 fans in those polls always choose the correct option

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I really hate the fact that there are more and more strict radio band. I love hearing the team radio and now I barely hear gently caress all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

El Hefe posted:

Did they not change the rules so that nobody under 20 could get a new superlicence?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ohhh. "in the interests of fairness, multiple votes identified as originating from the same source were not counted."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Halo/canopy/nothing, V6/8/10/12, who gives a crap? F1 is about a bunch of middle-aged autists, con artists and failed drivers stabbing each other in the back while an ancient little goblin watches and laughs, and anything else that happens is a mere sideshow.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

The skill is definitely there, the guy is good. He could just get stuck in Neutral (Alesi) or burn out (Stefano Modena) though. Let's hope he mellows with age but with his father around that is not likely to happen.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Payndz posted:

Halo/canopy/nothing, V6/8/10/12, who gives a crap? F1 is about a bunch of middle-aged autists, con artists and failed drivers stabbing each other in the back while an ancient little goblin watches and laughs, and anything else that happens is a mere sideshow.

Where were you when I needed a thread title?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

A GIF of the Alonso crash plus a picture of the leftovers:

http://imgur.com/gallery/jjDx4

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Norns posted:

Do we have any Max supporters left after his massive show of petulance?

Max is at that confluence of youth, ignorance, over-confidence and egomania that is especially reserved for F1 drivers and saber fencers. The trouble with whining in F1 is that the entire world gets to find out about your in-race diatribes. But it's always good to have a back-up villain in addition to Vettel for me to root against. He's young, we'll see how he develops.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

2 things:
-It's the first time he's screwed up, after a year of being of barely putting a foot wrong when everyone expected him to fail due to his age
-His dad is a known dickhead

Those 2 factors makes it much more fun to go after him, whereas had it been Sainz doing it, it wouldn't have gotten anywhere this much attention.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Vettle is a hero.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Those 2 factors makes it much more fun to go after him, whereas had it been Sainz doing it, it wouldn't have gotten anywhere this much attention.

I disagree.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

2 things:
-It's the first time he's screwed up, after a year of being of barely putting a foot wrong when everyone expected him to fail due to his age
-His dad is a known dickhead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_kBlsz7QX4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I may like the kid against all other opinion, but even I will admit that the lad is 2 licence points away from a 1 race ban.

• Locked thread