Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

actually you should keep the exp share on and cycle through like 20 pokemon at once because suddenly that's completely viable without being underleveled at all

This is the best way. It keeps the game challenging, and you get to experiment with so many pokemon, without having to grind it out against 9,000,000 rattatas or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

DrankSinatra posted:

This is the best way. It keeps the game challenging, and you get to experiment with so many pokemon, without having to grind it out against 9,000,000 rattatas or whatever.

Especially in X/Y, which has a lot of variety on its routes. Narrowing things down to 6 specific pokemon when you have a shitload of choices is hard, so just use all of them.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Diet Poison posted:

Well I'm glad someone's an optimist here. I'll call it a victory if you're still able to make your character black/brown in S/M. Actually, no, I'll call that "not a colossal fuckup". Victory is having a couple outfits to choose from, but it'll be nothing near as expansive as in Kalos.

And I'll accept the likely loss of outfits AND secret bases if we can get a total overhaul of the shitfest that is the GTS.

The gen 6 GTS is miles better than the gen 5 one. If they improve it as much going from gen 6 to gen 7 as they did 5 -> 6, I'll be pretty happy.

I think GF regards secret bases as a Hoenn-specific thing so I expect them not to be in the next games.

Geostomp posted:

They've build mechanics around Amie, so I'm guessing that both it and Super Training stay in. Everything else is fair game.

They have substituted other mechanics in order to take stuff out in the past (Feebas/Milotic getting the Prism Scale), so I see no guarantee that Amie will stay in. They will probably get rid of Super Training although they might put in something other else that serves a similar purpose.

The feature that I am sad that they will probably get rid of is Wonder Trade, it is one that I really like. I have so many foreign pokemon from just getting on Wonder Trade at the right time of day.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I don't think they'll get rid of wondertrade. It doesn't feel like something tied specifically to the region, and it does a lot to promote a larger, world-wide community. You never know what you're gonna get, from who, or where it's even from. It's a complete mystery, and it can introduce you to new friends across the world - it seems thematically perfect for Pokemon, and it would just feel wrong to take it out.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rest in peace dexnav, too beautiful for this world

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BlazetheInferno posted:

Doing a bit of wonder trade spam. Newest interesting find: a spanish Phione. Was not expecting something like THAT over Wonder Trade.

I mean, it's not a Manaphy, but still!

I did a bunch of wonder trades on New Years and somehow ended up with two Phiones. Not sure what to do with them, but I have them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I did a bunch of wonder trades on New Years and somehow ended up with two Phiones. Not sure what to do with them, but I have them.

Eh, it contributes to the living pokedex I'm working on. I've finished Gens 1 & 2, and have begun work on filling the holes in Gen 3, though I keep my eyes open for wonder trade results that fill later holes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

phione is utterly worthless for trades, which is probably why you have two from wondertrade

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Finished ORAS's main game earlier, I'm making my way through the Delta episode now.

What's the best grinding method in ORAS? If I don't hurry up and get this drat Larvesta to evolve, I'm going to go insane.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Dexie posted:

Finished ORAS's main game earlier, I'm making my way through the Delta episode now.

What's the best grinding method in ORAS? If I don't hurry up and get this drat Larvesta to evolve, I'm going to go insane.

Absolute fastest way is these fine secret bases scanned into your world. They all are three Blissey triple battles all holding a toxic orb so they'll die eventually no matter what:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ziddar posted:

Absolute fastest way is these fine secret bases scanned into your world. They all are three Blissey triple battles all holding a toxic orb so they'll die eventually no matter what:

Well, poo poo. :stare:

Thanks!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Anybody have nidorino in their safari that wants to trades FCs with me?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The most interesting thing about S&M is going to be how they handle the transfer from RBY and what it could mean in terms of actual changes to the way stats work.

On the one hand, they could just keep the usual EV/IV system, ratio stat experience into EVs and lazily DV*2+1 into IVs and lmao for wanting to transfer to gen 6, but on the other that sounds like tempting fate even moreso than they usually do. I'm expecting one of two things instead: an entirely changed stat system or lmao your gen 1 pokemon only go into a special gen 1 box to be used for gen 1 mechanic battles now in 3D. Somebody is getting trolled regardless!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Decus posted:

The most interesting thing about S&M is going to be how they handle the transfer from RBY and what it could mean in terms of actual changes to the way stats work.

On the one hand, they could just keep the usual EV/IV system, ratio stat experience into EVs and lazily DV*2+1 into IVs and lmao for wanting to transfer to gen 6, but on the other that sounds like tempting fate even moreso than they usually do. I'm expecting one of two things instead: an entirely changed stat system or lmao your gen 1 pokemon only go into a special gen 1 box to be used for gen 1 mechanic battles now in 3D. Somebody is getting trolled regardless!

I'm imagining going from the Gen 1 games to anything else being a one-way transfer, once they leave the Gen 1 games they can never go back, and the formerly Gen 1 mons get adapted somehow to the current stat system. All EV's most likely just set/reset to 0, and either your suggestion for changing DV's to IV's or possibly randomizing entirely new IV's for the Gen 1 mon, as all their stats will need to be completely recalculated anyway.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'm imagining going from the Gen 1 games to anything else being a one-way transfer, once they leave the Gen 1 games they can never go back, and the formerly Gen 1 mons get adapted somehow to the current stat system. All EV's most likely just set/reset to 0, and either your suggestion for changing DV's to IV's or possibly randomizing entirely new IV's for the Gen 1 mon, as all their stats will need to be completely recalculated anyway.

My guess is IV=DV*2 (with a chance to add 1 to the final number to make odd numbers/31s possible) and a Stat Exp/EV reset, plus randomly generated natures and abilities. They could even make hidden abilities possible/guaranteed to convince more people to buy the VC games.

I don't think they'd completely randomize the IVs just because that's one of the few things they could bring forward relatively painlessly.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So I finally got a mew in Blue, should I use it as an HM dump and use Kadabra as my battle psychic type or should I train mew to be my psychic main? If so how should I build it?

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 21, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Everyone's talking about old features that should be in the new game but nobody mentions no-recharge Hyper Beam or Special being one stat? For shame.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

nobody wants one special stat back

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hyper beam should be like a coach's challenge in football where if you knock them out with it you can use it without recharging but if they survive you lose hyper beam for the rest of the battle

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nitramster posted:

So I finally got a mew in Blue, should I use it as an HM dump and use Kadabra as my battle psychic type or should I train mew to be my psychic main? If so how should I build it?

Mew is pretty powerful and levels up surprisingly fast, I gave it dig and it's pretty much just killing everything with that.

I say you use Mew.

as for what moves you should give it: Psychic, Ice beam (or bilizard), and then the other two can be whatever you like (I recommend either earthquake or dig and maybe fly or surf so it can kind of be an HM slave too).

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 21, 2016

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
With the International coming up, I decided to try my hands at my first Ratings Battles to see how I fare and have promptly gone 4-25. I don't use any hacked mons, and everything still one-shots me despite my week of EV training/breeding and regardless of type matchups.

I guess I won't be battling much more beyond whatever gets me the free giveaways :(

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
i haven't used hyper beam since gen 1 and that's fine. its just fine.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Decus posted:

Special stat issue was solved literally nearly 2 decades ago with Gold and Silver. They had planned to be able to transfer Pokemon from GSC to RSE initially, so I'm sure they already figured out the DV -> IV thing, too. And the EVs will likely be reset to 0 anyhow since it won't be able to tell the difference between Special Attack and Special Defense.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Parrotine posted:

Ah I see, looks like a goof on my part.

Dang, all that work for nothing ahaha

Here's Smogon's guide for the Battle Maison:

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/bc/maison_part1

Greninja is a good recommendation to take into the Maison so you're part way there. Looking at the set you posted all you really need to do is breed for a different nature since moves on Greninja are a piece of cake.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Blhue posted:

i haven't used hyper beam since gen 1 and that's fine. its just fine.
it's really really fun on porygon Z with the ability that increases STAB from 1.5x to 2x.
300 power with 135 base special attack? aw heck, you shouldn't have

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Classtoise posted:

Special stat issue was solved literally nearly 2 decades ago with Gold and Silver. They had planned to be able to transfer Pokemon from GSC to RSE initially, so I'm sure they already figured out the DV -> IV thing, too. And the EVs will likely be reset to 0 anyhow since it won't be able to tell the difference between Special Attack and Special Defense.

Why did they drop the ability to transfer to Gen 3?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

CJ posted:

wasn't any way to cross connect a GBA and an old game boy

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

CJ posted:

The way I understand it, there was no way to get an original GB (or a GBA running in GB mode) to communicate with a GBA because of a hardware incompatibility - Nintendo changed the link interface so much that it was impossible for a GBA to communicate with a GB even using the old link cables.

Gen3 -> Gen4 was no problem because Nintendo designed the DS in a way that allowed DS games to read and write to the GB port. Had they not done that, Gen3 would have been similarly cut off from inter-generational transfers.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Axel Serenity posted:

With the International coming up, I decided to try my hands at my first Ratings Battles to see how I fare and have promptly gone 4-25. I don't use any hacked mons, and everything still one-shots me despite my week of EV training/breeding and regardless of type matchups.

I guess I won't be battling much more beyond whatever gets me the free giveaways :(

If you played Doubles, was there lots of Primal Groudon/Xerneas? I hear that's The Thing to do nowadays.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zonekeeper posted:

They could even make hidden abilities possible/guaranteed to convince more people to buy the VC games.

Though that would actually be a disincentive in some cases (like Machamp, who has No Guard as a regular ability instead of hidden)

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Can't you still run an Aegislash and walk all over most Xerneas runners by trapping them?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Ostentatious posted:

Can't you still run an Aegislash and walk all over most Xerneas runners by trapping them?

With what, Pursuit? Xerneas would just take the resisted hit and switch. And Primal Groudon is right there in a double battle.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Weren't there Secret Bases in DPP, in the underground? Isn't that were the capture-the-flag comes from?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Rudoku posted:

With what, Pursuit? Xerneas would just take the resisted hit and switch. And Primal Groudon is right there in a double battle.

I figured with 0 speed and Gyro Ball you can one shot a Xerneas. That's always what I was told, though doubles would make that impossible because they could both just focus it down.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
I got all the ribbons now. I'm ready for sun and moon with my pretty pokemon.

Interesting that you get a sparkly badge effect when you send them out now too. Neat.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Secret Bases feel like a neat idea executed poorly. I like the idea of being able to decorate a room with poo poo I've collected/earned along my adventure, but it'd be nice if I had a reason/easy way to go to and from my secret base. I don't really like that a lot of the layouts feel like they're designed to be inconvenient, not to mention I'll find secret base spots but not even be able to check the layout without having a pokemon with the move with me.

It felt like an extension/"improvement" of the room customization in G/S, but I remember that more fondly then RSE's secret bases.

That said QR codes for Blissey Bases are awesome.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ostentatious posted:

I figured with 0 speed and Gyro Ball you can one shot a Xerneas. That's always what I was told, though doubles would make that impossible because they could both just focus it down.

"trapping" something generally means Pursuit Trapping, which is putting out a pokemon with Pursuit where ideally you'll outrun their active pokemon and kill it with Pursuit whether it switches or not. it's "trapped" and is going to die no matter what it does. Putting out a mon with a super effective attack just means the opponent will switch to something that might resist the incoming move if they can, they aren't really trapped in any meaningful way.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Secret Bases feel like a neat idea executed poorly. I like the idea of being able to decorate a room with poo poo I've collected/earned along my adventure, but it'd be nice if I had a reason/easy way to go to and from my secret base. I don't really like that a lot of the layouts feel like they're designed to be inconvenient, not to mention I'll find secret base spots but not even be able to check the layout without having a pokemon with the move with me.

It felt like an extension/"improvement" of the room customization in G/S, but I remember that more fondly then RSE's secret bases.

Secret bases combined with the Join Avenue mall from Black/White2. I practically lived at Join Avenue when completing my dex.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Oxyclean posted:

There's another set of codes, too. I have secret shore and secret meadow both decked out with blissey bases. I'll see if I can dig the other ones up.

They were extremely useful when I was doing level-up evos for my living pokedex, with one major drawback: throwing three level 1 'mons against three level 100 blisseys leads to 30ish minutes of mashing A when the battle is over thanks to all of the level ups and learned moves.

I think these are it:

Also, here's the Smeargle Academy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i only played b/w2 after online service ended so i never got to do cool join ave stuff

• Locked thread