Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't really notice Elektra using them as slashing weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaphod42 posted:

*IIRC they were farming equipment used by militias to defend themselves and break the weapons of people trying to kill them more than actually wage war.

E: Googling though sounds like you're right and I'm wrong. Must be mixing it up with other "ninja tools".

Yeah, I think you're either think of the kunai, which was some sort of trowel that was sharpened to have a cutting edge, or the kama, which was basically a sickle.

Pretty much any farm implement is a weapon with a little bit of imagination, though.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Elfgames posted:

Wait what? his radar sense is just his other four senses working together at superhuman levels, so if you cut out hearing the other three are probably not going to give you much spatial awareness.

I didn't have a chance to rewatch the first season before this one, is that how they played it? I don't remember, but that WOULD make a lot more sense. I was just thinking of his radar sense in the vein of the comics, where it sort of generates a 360 degree map in his brain. I know they briefly showed it working in season 1.

And yeah, sai were originally farming implements turned weapons, and eventually Japanese police used them in the form of the jitte. I should've just kept telling myself it was a comic book show!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

Pretty much any farm implement is a weapon with a little bit of imagination, though.

In honour of 100 years of the Irish state, the most patriotic scene of farm equipment turned into weaponry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZRwDft6eI&t=20s

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Irish food is already a weapon.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
why would you say these things

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Irish lack of food is a weapon

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

sassassin posted:

It is very irritating to me that people can watch the 300 movies and not understand that the hypocrisy of the characters is intentional. They are deliberately over the top propaganda movies and you're not supposed to fall for it. The narration is always in character, from biased perspectives. In the first one the entire movie is revealed to be a story that one Spartan tells to the army just before another battle, intended to rile them up.

When Spartans shout about freedom you are supposed to laugh at the funny joke.

Yeah, 300 is basically the Starship Troopers of the 00s and it rules.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

because when i think of people who are "in on the joke", I think of Zack Snyder and Frank Miller

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Irish lack of food is a weapon

The genocide it's fun to joke about

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Alaois posted:

because when i think of people who are "in on the joke", I think of Zack Snyder and Frank Miller

People calling Zack Snyder stupid when they don't recognize satire unless it ends with Doogie Hauser wearing an SS uniform is also really great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

This version of Death just feels like a ripoff of Gaiman's Sandman's Death, although it possibly pre-dates it. The white-on-black font also feels like a Sandman ripoff, but again probably predates it?

Nope, that's from 2004. (I Googled it.) However, in Sandman it's Dream who speaks in white on black, not Death. Death is one of only two of the seven Endless who has normal speech bubbles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jedit posted:

Nope, that's from 2004. (I Googled it.) However, in Sandman it's Dream who speaks in white on black, not Death. Death is one of only two of the seven Endless who has normal speech bubbles.

Hah, thought so. So Gaiman's Sandman actually massively pre-dates it, and they just copied him. Figured! I gave them the benefit of the doubt but shouldn't have.

And I know that's Dream and not Death, but still. Its a character who looks like Death who talks the way Dream does from the comic series about Dream / Sandman / Morpheus / Whatever you wanna call him. Having unique fonts like that isn't completely unheard of in comics but its pretty rare. The Endless' designs were really great and definitely one of the most memorable parts of Sandman. And people working for D.C. Marvel would have definitely read Sandman by 2004.

Death in Pratchett's discworld also has his own distinctive font, but its ALL BOLD CAPS which is pretty different.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zaphod42 posted:

Death in Pratchett's discworld also has his own distinctive font, but its ALL BOLD CAPS which is pretty different.

Actually, Death speaks in ꜱᴍᴀʟʟ ᴄᴀᴘꜱ. He doesn't shout, you know.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Zaphod42 posted:

Hah, thought so. So Gaiman's Sandman actually massively pre-dates it, and they just copied him. Figured! I gave them the benefit of the doubt but shouldn't have.

And I know that's Dream and not Death, but still. Its a character who looks like Death who talks the way Dream does from the comic series about Dream / Sandman / Morpheus / Whatever you wanna call him. Having unique fonts like that isn't completely unheard of in comics but its pretty rare. The Endless' designs were really great and definitely one of the most memorable parts of Sandman. And people working for D.C. Marvel would have definitely read Sandman by 2004.

Ghost Rider V1 & V2 had a similar mechanic, where ghost rider spoke in white letters on black bubbles, with the bubble outline also having a flame effect. Not sure on the relative time frames of publishing, so it might be Marvel who actually did it first.

Edit: also, I think Venom had a similar speech bubble mechanic.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Mar 21, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not sure about that. Death first appeared in Marvel comics in 1973 and was definitely being shown as a white-skinned human woman by 1982. I'm just not sure when she first spoke.

Also Gaiman pillaged entire issues of Cancelled Comics Cavalcade wholesale for Sandman, so he can hardly complain about being copied.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

KozmoNaut posted:

Actually, Death speaks in ꜱᴍᴀʟʟ ᴄᴀᴘꜱ. He doesn't shout, you know.

ACTUALLY, he is a skeleton with no vocal cords, so his words just magically appear in your head. Hence small caps and no quotation marks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WeAreTheRomans posted:

ACTUALLY, he is a skeleton with no vocal cords, so his words just magically appear in your head. Hence small caps and no quotation marks.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of editing to add that. Nerd bros.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
:respek:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

People calling Zack Snyder stupid when they don't recognize satire unless it ends with Doogie Hauser wearing an SS uniform is also really great.

"but you see" he said, his diaper overflowing with no-no juices, "it's a satire. it's supposed to be awful." he will not be changed for another two days.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alaois posted:

"but you see" he said, his diaper overflowing with no-no juices, "it's a satire. it's supposed to be awful." he will not be changed for another two days.

wow, who peed in your cheerios this morning? :stare:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

bobkatt013 posted:

Not really he took out the avengers a couple of times and only were able to beat him with help from captain marvel or Adam warlock.

Adam Warlock, for those who don't know, is Space Jesus. Not like Superman in that he just has a lot of Messanic imagery attached but in a more direct way of him being crucified for our space sins and then resurrected. Also like Jesus he has PTSD and fights a future version of himself, who is an evil space pope with an afro, by traveling through time and killing himself right before he turns evil.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

Frank Miller is a nutjob but so was the guy who wrote Starship Troopers and the woman who wrote Twilight and they were turned into great movies too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was kinda pissed about (season 2 daredevil spoilers) how they made a big deal about Matt having some side effects of getting shot in the dome by Frank, like losing his hearing and being all wobbly, but then like a day and a half later he's fine and it's never mentioned or brought up again. He literally gets over a concussion in about 6 hours or so and has a nosebleed and that's it.

Just... seemed like an odd plot point to drop.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's not so much a dropped plot point, dare devil heals faster than normal, not like wolverine but still.

He literally just got better after awhile, I never got the vibe they intended it to be some sort of plot critical thing beyond 'man this sucks right now'

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, it seemed like it'd be a way bigger thing since they were harping on the damage to the helmet, and how great of a shot the punisher is, and how it's amazing he's still standing up, etc when he's talking to Melvin

Just struck me as kind of weird. It's like OMG HERE'S A POTENTIAL PLOT POINT AND... well, gently caress it, we don't wanna do that, instead we are going to just ignore it and move on and talk about feelings now.

Fits with the thread, I guess.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I thought they were doing it to give an explanation for how he gets beat in the head all the time but doesn't suffer any side effects.

"It can stop a bullet now! Punches don't hurt him!"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

I didn't have a chance to rewatch the first season before this one, is that how they played it? I don't remember, but that WOULD make a lot more sense. I was just thinking of his radar sense in the vein of the comics, where it sort of generates a 360 degree map in his brain. I know they briefly showed it working in season 1.

And yeah, sai were originally farming implements turned weapons, and eventually Japanese police used them in the form of the jitte. I should've just kept telling myself it was a comic book show!

well it does sort of do that but the map is generated by sound and heat and smells/tastes in the air. he doesn't just have cliche enhanced senses from being deaf his are enhanced by magic toxic waste

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I dunno, it seemed like it'd be a way bigger thing since they were harping on the damage to the helmet, and how great of a shot the punisher is, and how it's amazing he's still standing up, etc when he's talking to Melvin

Just struck me as kind of weird. It's like OMG HERE'S A POTENTIAL PLOT POINT AND... well, gently caress it, we don't wanna do that, instead we are going to just ignore it and move on and talk about feelings now.

it explains the later scene where he falters and gets captured

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Superhero movies/tv are all garbage. It's the western anime.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It'll be the western anime when they start focusing on upskirt shots of underage girls who are actually 1000 year old demons and the fight scenes are removed in favour of everyone standing around shouting at each other for 90 minutes as they power up.

Anime is poo poo, in other words.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Elfgames posted:

well it does sort of do that but the map is generated by sound and heat and smells/tastes in the air. he doesn't just have cliche enhanced senses from being deaf his are enhanced by magic toxic waste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj1igrt8M1w
The part that I was thinking of starts around 1:19. So, it does sort of generate a map, which as you said, might be "generated" by his other senses. But if that's the case, how is he able to pick up random weapons in the environment, know just where that ladder/fire escape is, etc. I know it's a comic book show, but....irrational! Although, I guess if all the ninjas are zombies, they wouldn't generate any body heat. But they still have heartbeats and breathe. I just wish that instead of making it where he had to hear them breathing, they just overwhelmed him with sheer numbers. Like, say initially he's hearing them. Ninjas realize this, stop using their swords. Come at him again, he's still fighting, winning, so they just start adding friends to the mix. It would've been better than him not able to hear their heartbeats, but could hear Stick tell him to listen for their breath, then be able to tell where they are by that.

I would like to add that none of this impacted my enjoyment at all. At the time I didn't even care. It's only thinking about it later that it comes up.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

re: Daredevil how is listening to heartbeats "kid stuff" or whatever compared to hearing breathing anyway? i'm not blind and i can generally hear people breathing if they're within a few steps but i definitely can't hear their hearts beating

didn't impact my enjoyment either but drat if that wasn't irrationally irritating

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

FFT posted:

re: Daredevil how is listening to heartbeats "kid stuff" or whatever compared to hearing breathing anyway? i'm not blind and i can generally hear people breathing if they're within a few steps but i definitely can't hear their hearts beating

didn't impact my enjoyment either but drat if that wasn't irrationally irritating
It's magic ninja breathing, I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm enjoying Daredevil season 2, especially that stairwell combat sequence, very nice. Reminds me of the great fights in season 1 that sold me on this show, which feel very OldBoy esque. Very good fight choreography, where most action films / shows these days are totally cheesy garbage.

That said (I guess spoilers?) how on loving earth do you have a whole squad of trained SWAT snipers on a rooftop across the way from Daredevil and Punisher and they're just standing around and the snipers take like 20 shots and don't land a single one of them? They're just popping off shot after shot after shot continuously missing because they're not bothering to adjust their aim? SWAT snipers? Really? At that range, the travel time of high powered rifles is gonna be really loving fast, its not like The Punisher is Neo from the Matrix dodging bullets here. I get that they're moving around a lot during the fight but that's just too ridiculous.

Also this is more of a nit pick, but they used the cliche "take the shot!" line, except they totally did it wrong. "Take the shot" is supposed to mean you have a sniper lined up already in the crosshairs and all you need is the green light and you'll fire one bullet and its done. Lots of films have done this. But in Daredevil, "take the shot" apparently means "open fire" and "spray your bullets indiscriminately as fast as you can" instead. They're not even aiming at the guy until they get the order "take the shot" and then the guy is just like "Hey everybody! take the shot!" and some 6 dudes just start popping off shots that they don't even try aiming. It makes no loving sense.

And it wouldn't have taken that much work to re-structure the scene so it made more sense.

For that matter, a whole lot of the episode (And I guess Daredevil's whole thing in general) relies on the cliche of knocking people unconscious for an hour or so without them suffering massive permanent brain damage, and I'm pretty sure that's bogus. Daredevil isn't killing anybody like Punisher... he just turns them all into vegetables.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Just watched to woeful remake of Point Break.

It's just terrible, utterly terrible. But my IIMM with it is the drawn on tattoos that all the lead cast seem to have. None of them look remotely real, they are all in thick black like sharpie ink, no colour at all, all cliche things you could find on pintrest and just look tacky.

The only redeeming part of the whole film is the homage they pay to the original with Johnny Utah emptying his magazine into the air while screaming.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Zaphod42 posted:

For that matter, a whole lot of the episode (And I guess Daredevil's whole thing in general) relies on the cliche of knocking people unconscious for an hour or so without them suffering massive permanent brain damage, and I'm pretty sure that's bogus.
Every time this happens in a film or tv show I hear Archer saying "that's super bad for you". :v:

It's the same handwaving as Batman though: he can drop people down three flights of stairs spine-first or snap all four of their limbs off at the hinge end or whatever but he mustn't ever kill anyone because killing is naughty.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Every time this happens in a film or tv show I hear Archer saying "that's super bad for you". :v:

It's the same handwaving as Batman though: he can drop people down three flights of stairs spine-first or snap all four of their limbs off at the hinge end or whatever but he mustn't ever kill anyone because killing is naughty.

Yep. Its just especially annoying now that Daredevil and Batman are both trying to be so grounded and edgy and realistic, they're trying to push away from the silly cartoony side of comics, and yet they still have this gigantic reliance upon knocking people unconscious as a plot device.

Its almost like acknowledging that superhero vigilantes just couldn't work :cheeky:

Although I could see that actually becoming a plot point in daredevil at some point in the future. "Hey uh, that guy actually died from his injuries. He had a heart condition. You really killed somebody."

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fighting daredevil is just really really tiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I do loving love how he beats people up and they sometimes get back up and attack him from behind. That's a really nice touch and so many action movies/shows are lazy and unrealistic about poo poo like that.

(unless you're like John Wick and you're just executing every single person as they go)

I guess you could argue that a lot of the dudes aren't actually unconscious, just so severely beaten that they give up and 'play dead', which probably happens in major gang fights and poo poo like that.

Still, they explicitly show him knocking out people and carrying around their unconscious bodies like its no big deal.