Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I'm reading up on water slide decals since I ordered that Nu Gundam and keep seeing conflicted information on what to use. Most seem to recommend Mr Mark Softer to be put under and/or over the decal, some say Mr Mark Setter under the decal, others say just water under the decal?

I don't plan on painting, so do I need anything under the decals?

Am I loving up by not top coating anything? I don't really have the space or ventilation to do that easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

BlitzBlast posted:

1. Dip it in water for like 30 seconds.
1a. If you have it, apply decal setter to the plastic where you want to put the decal. If not, just put some water.
2. Slide it off the backing onto the plastic.
3. Position the decal.
4. Drain the setter/water with a q-tip or something.
5. Apply decal softener if you have it.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

4.5. With a q-tip, apply gentle but firm pressure, straight down, across the whole of the decal's area, to help affix it to the plastic and smooth out air bubbles.

You can put gloss coat down first to help the decal adhere even better, but that's really more for stickers than anything else. If you do the entire setter/softener thing it'll be fine.

Top coat makes it looks better and protects the decals a bit from wear and tear, but it's not required or anything. Just do what you can.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Thank you!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Monaghan posted:

I'm still debating whether to get the zeong, because right now my love for char aznable hasn't trumped my "meh" feeling towards the suit. Also it's pricey as hell.

Get the Perfect Zeong!

Godzillion
Feb 29, 2016

EthanSteele posted:

Get the Perfect Zeong!

Legs are just for show, but it comes with the huge sword I think.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Godzillion posted:

Legs are just for show

What a horrible opinion. :colbert:

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
Slow goin' but touchups and lining are juuust about done, gloss coat on the front formerly-yellow bits is drying. Figured out what can be done with the back. The round pieces that go into the balljoints have pegs on them, and they have a limited amount of horizontal movement, so I'd like to get some plastic tubing and make something to wrap the Gundam Hammer around for storage.

Godzillion posted:

Legs are just for show

:allears:

Astro Creep fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 19, 2016

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ugh I'm not sure if I want the 1/144 or 1/100 Barbatos Form 6. I'm not sure about spending $36 right now.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
1/100 has the NLA mace which was omitted from the first Barbatos so is a must-buy IMO.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bimmi posted:

1/100 has the NLA mace which was omitted from the first Barbatos so is a must-buy IMO.

With piledriver functionality, no less.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
Any opinions on the high res 1/100 barbatos? I think this was order stop a while ago but its back up on hlj. Been getting all hg 1/144 and havent done any of the 1/100 so far.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Hello thread. I just got a basic Hi Mock on a whim thanks to reading through the scale modeling thread. My first Gunpla model, but I had a lot of fun with it, so it probably won't be my last.

Are there any aftermarket kits that have different hand poses I can get that'd fit it/look correct? Specifically looking for open flat hand and pointing. The first thing I did was stick it in a coquettish pose and send a photo to a friend. Now I have a need to pose it with more stuff.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay sold. Gonna preorder the 1/100 thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PirateDentist posted:

Hello thread. I just got a basic Hi Mock on a whim thanks to reading through the scale modeling thread. My first Gunpla model, but I had a lot of fun with it, so it probably won't be my last.

Are there any aftermarket kits that have different hand poses I can get that'd fit it/look correct? Specifically looking for open flat hand and pointing. The first thing I did was stick it in a coquettish pose and send a photo to a friend. Now I have a need to pose it with more stuff.

You want the HGBC Jigen Build Knuckles.

Also, HLJ have a clearance sale going on where they're adding new catagories every few days. Gundam kits haven't come up yet, so you may want to look in on the 22nd when they add the next round of stuff just in case :f5:.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You want the HGBC Jigen Build Knuckles.

Also, HLJ have a clearance sale going on where they're adding new catagories every few days. Gundam kits haven't come up yet, so you may want to look in on the 22nd when they add the next round of stuff just in case :f5:.

Every day I see the ad pop up on my facebook page and I always click it even though I know nothing has changed yet.

Godzillion
Feb 29, 2016

Eirgen posted:

Any opinions on the high res 1/100 barbatos? I think this was order stop a while ago but its back up on hlj. Been getting all hg 1/144 and havent done any of the 1/100 so far.

High res isn't worth the insane markup, just get the regular 1/100.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So it turns out Gentei Parts restarted their service without mentioning it on their newsletter.

Since Bandai hates bulk parts orders, the new system is pretty much a waiting list. You only get five parts per order too, so it's really kind of meh. But at least it exists.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

quote:

• Internet Explorer users will be automatically demoted in the queue

...wha?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bimmi posted:

...wha?

I.D. Tentee tax

Lanz
May 30, 2013
[looks at HGUC pale rider prices on amazon]

so uh was that a P-Bandai Exclusive? Cause somehow that thing goes from 48 bucks to over a hundred

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lanz posted:

[looks at HGUC pale rider prices on amazon]

so uh was that a P-Bandai Exclusive? Cause somehow that thing goes from 48 bucks to over a hundred

Well, that and a pack-in for a special edition videogame. (The game sucked.)

It's an original mold that never reached full mass production. Kind of a pain to get.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A friend of mine got it, it's mostly an edit of the HGUC GM Sniper II.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

chiasaur11 posted:

It's an original mold that never reached full mass production. Kind of a pain to get.

It's a metaphor for itself.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
made a lot of progress on kshatriya today

this things loving huge

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

A friend of mine got it, it's mostly an edit of the HGUC GM Sniper II.

Really? Interesting. What I heard was that it was visually similar to the Sniper II, but with completely different parts.

Sounds like I heard wrong, then.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

chiasaur11 posted:

Sounds like I heard wrong, then.

You didn't. Apart from PCs and sabers it's a 100% new mold:

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=184697

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 21, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

You know I 've been doing this hobby for like 12 years now and I am just now making my first amphibious suit, the mg z'gock. Which I only bought for my char suit project. What I'm saying is I really don't like amphibious suits.

considering it's a thirteen year old kit, it's aged well. only real complaint is that it's got this big seam line in the chest.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Z'gock is definitely one of the top MGs of 2003 but I imagine it is showing its age.

If it makes you feel any better, that chest seam is more or less accepted as panel separation:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 21, 2016

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Hahahahaahahaha USAGundam Store just got the MG Zeong in for $55 a few days after I ordered it on Amazon for $70. :suicide:

In good news, if you want the MG Zeong, $55 is a great price for it.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Did you add shipping? $12 for me vs free from Amazon. Only a couple bucks difference but I guess that $12 shipping makes it show up faster than Amazon where it's coming from Asia it looks like.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

zelah posted:

Did you add shipping? $12 for me vs free from Amazon. Only a couple bucks difference but I guess that $12 shipping makes it show up faster than Amazon where it's coming from Asia it looks like.

I got my MG Zeong with Amazon Prime shipping. I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Help, I bought the HG Graze and now I can't stop thinking about it. Is it possible to be too into a mech design?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Whoever they've got doing summaries on Gundam Planet has a whole lot of freedom.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Good news is there's like 5 other Grazes to buy, and they all look cool!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Whoever they've got doing summaries on Gundam Planet has a whole lot of freedom.

The Graze Ein description is good too.

Someone at GP has a major hate-boner for Ein. :allears:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
That is beautiful.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Seriously though, who is Eric Mansfield?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

BlitzBlast posted:

I know this isn't the point, but ninety five goddamned dollars? You could get a White Ogre, some grey paint, and an airbrush for that much money.

...forgot the White Ogre doesn't have high-mobility calves/backpack. SHIN MATSUNAGA CUSTOM, paint, and a lesser airbrush?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I wonder if the Graze Ground type is gonna be wide release or P-Bandai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's P-Bandai. Definitely. Just hope the Rouei comes along with it - and maybe the Spinner Rodi, if they're feeling generous.

On a semi-related note, the Graze Ein looks like a fascinating piece of engineering, and I'd love to get my hands on it and see how it works. First off, it's clearly got bits of the standard Graze HG frame in it - check out the chest and thighs - and yet it's goddamn huge, dwarfing the Kimaris Trooper next to it. Second, unlike pretty much every other HG in existence, the fists are solid sculpts and the open-fingered hands are what it uses to hold its weapons... and, judging by the angle those great big axes are held at, it seems to support them pretty well. Third, it has jointed wrists.