Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Tippis posted:

Yes, I noticed that too. This lends further credence to the hypothesis that the loading is a matter of the game rendering planet surfaces. The question of why something that simple takes so long and why it can't reuse information it should already have is still open, though. I also wonder how much of it is due to needing some kind of pseudo-2.5D rendering to create the parallax effects when you scroll around (I'm guessing it shows up as full 3D in VR?). I wouldn't be surprised if there was some special-case requirements that keep them from just using the regular in-space planet spheres.

What is so surprising about this? Of course it generates the planets every time, this is an Elite game. What else are they going to do, store the textures for umpteen billion planets on some server somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He means if you're in a system then the data is already in memory by definition, because the game has to know what/where the planets are to draw them in 3D. So why should it need to query a server for that data when you open the system map?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

OK, I misunderstood. Perhaps the planet textures are only generated when you get close to them? That's the best explanation I can think of.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Eichel posted:

While out on Distant Worlds a bunch of us discovered that, hilariously, system map opening time has a direct link to FPS.

The moment we turned off vsync and any frame rate limits, it sped up dramatically.

(To be fair though, none of us are experiencing opening times even close to ten to twenty seconds, so there may be something else going on there).

I'm in DW with vsync off and I get said long rear end opening times. I open the map immediately after I start charging Friendship Drive (giving me a ~15 second window), and by the time it loads usually only have a second or two left to check for ELWs before the drive engages.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
I mucked around with this idea a little. There isn't much of a difference, more than 2 seconds or so between locked 60 FPS Vsync and 130 FPS uncapped.

Arach fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tooterfish posted:

He means if you're in a system then the data is already in memory by definition, because the game has to know what/where the planets are to draw them in 3D. So why should it need to query a server for that data when you open the system map?

Yes, that. And even if it needs to be rendered differently to match the style of the map screen and/or the textures aren't normally created until you get close enough to a body, why can't that information be cached between subsequent map checks? From what I can tell, you can hammer the map button and the process is repeated each and every time.

It's an odd beast.

Also…

BMan posted:

What is so surprising about this? Of course it generates the planets every time, this is an Elite game. What else are they going to do, store the textures for umpteen billion planets on some server somewhere?

…they wouldn't need to do that. If they didn't decide that it should be a 100% representation of the actual planet, they could probably get away with using less than a hundred type-specific icons with a few overlays to represent the different types of bodies you come across. Sure, you'd miss out on the kadrillion different colourations and spots and streak patterns of Class III jovians, but do you actually need all of those on the map beyond making it “realistic”?

It's neat that they do have accurate representations, but it obviously comes at a cost.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 21, 2016

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tippis posted:

Yes, I noticed that too. This lends further credence to the hypothesis that the loading is a matter of the game rendering planet surfaces. The question of why something that simple takes so long and why it can't reuse information it should already have is still open, though. I also wonder how much of it is due to needing some kind of pseudo-2.5D rendering to create the parallax effects when you scroll around (I'm guessing it shows up as full 3D in VR?). I wouldn't be surprised if there was some special-case requirements that keep them from just using the regular in-space planet spheres.

Probably because those aren't generated at any significant level of detail until you approach them.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

lee_ars posted:

Oh hey that's me. Did a bunch of bridge walk-arounds over the weekend:

Conda
These are so cool, thanks for doing them. Must be awesome to stand in those stations. Also gives me hope for them actually managing to do the walking in stations stuff one day - the visuals on the launch pads and towers are pretty good even that close!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

slidebite posted:

Jesus, I don't know if a guy should be happy that they listen to the "community" or not.
They fixed it by making all components sell for 90% of their value, obviously, so the community was right for once. Stopped clocks and all that.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I just discovered this game and I'm a little curious about a few things:
Does this game ever go on sale?
Is the Deluxe edition a must have?
Can I make any progress playing alone/unscheduled?
How bad will the be to play on a laptop using a keyboard/trackpad?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

EngineerJoe posted:

I just discovered this game and I'm a little curious about a few things:
1. Does this game ever go on sale?
2. Is the Deluxe edition a must have?
3. Can I make any progress playing alone/unscheduled?
4. How bad will the be to play on a laptop using a keyboard/trackpad?

1. Yep, it'll definitely be significantly cheaper in the summer sale if not sooner (Anyone remember what it got to last time on sale? $15?).
2. Try the base game first and then buy expansions, Deluxe Edition just includes Horizons (the first expansion) and some cosmetic items.
3. Absolutely! You can play alone and still make progress, that's not an issue at all.
4. I would strongly recommend at least having keyboard and mouse to play, a trackpad probably wouldn't work very well at all (KB+M is a very good control scheme, don't worry about getting a HOTAS unless you end up deciding you want one).

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Thanks, I just noticed the expansion doesn't even work on macs so I'll wait for a sale and look at the base game.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES
Found a thing...it's probably already been posted before, but it seems legit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/eliteexplorers/comments/3rbsx3/habitable_zone_charts_by_star_class_for_yr/

e: habitable zones listed as per temperature of star and star type.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tempted to throw together a combat fitted Imperial Clipper and head out into the wild yonder and explore until hostile aliens appear in a later expansion.

In fact I think I will.

I did. Full combat load, military hull and 40 tons of jump fuel with an auto repair and one vehicle bay. You know, jump range aside the iClipper can hold a lot of stuff.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 23, 2016

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is there a specific XBox thread or all in here?

I've been trying to do kill missions but people keep escaping the interdiction by flying straight into the rings of planets which makes them vanish. It's quite annoying.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

Is there a specific XBox thread or all in here?

I've been trying to do kill missions but people keep escaping the interdiction by flying straight into the rings of planets which makes them vanish. It's quite annoying.

You should be able to target their wake and follow them into the rings. Or does this not work on the XBox?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Libluini posted:

You should be able to target their wake and follow them into the rings. Or does this not work on the XBox?

If you're interdicting them and they fly into the rings then you just drop out of Frame Shift because of proximity, they vanish entirely.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

If you're interdicting them and they fly into the rings then you just drop out of Frame Shift because of proximity, they vanish entirely.

You are using a frame shift interdictor right? Just rip them out of flight before they reach anywhere.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DancingShade posted:

You are using a frame shift interdictor right? Just rip them out of flight before they reach anywhere.

Yes, during the mini-game to interdict them, they fly though a planets rings and vanish. Probably just bad luck really but happened twice in a row trying to do a kill mission.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

Yes, during the mini-game to interdict them, they fly though a planets rings and vanish. Probably just bad luck really but happened twice in a row trying to do a kill mission.

It's best to try and interdict them as they pull away from a gravitational object due to their slower initial velocity. Suns are obviously ideal for this and where most NPCs do it to you instead.

It could be you're just hunting in a rather crowded region in a system. Last time I spent a significant amount of time interdicting I spent my time mostly around the halfway point between two planets in different orbits that both had stations & bases generating traffic with a couple hundred light seconds each way.

Also fancier interdictors work at much longer ranges, if that's a factor for your windows of opportunity.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is horizons worth it at the moment? I've come back from a tear long hiatus and I'm a lowly bounty hunter with a viper mark 3 and 2 million credits to my name farming RESs. I remember I was trying to grind for an imperial clipper. Praise be the stimperor.

If anyone wants to hang out I'm in Lampade system.

BR0ME0
Apr 6, 2010
I've been wanting to play this game for so long, have they released ANY update on a PS4 version? I haven't been able to find any real news on it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Is horizons worth it at the moment? I've come back from a tear long hiatus and I'm a lowly bounty hunter with a viper mark 3 and 2 million credits to my name farming RESs. I remember I was trying to grind for an imperial clipper. Praise be the stimperor.

Not really, wait for a sale.

Don't get me wrong, from a technical standpoint the planets are cool as gently caress, landings are awesome and the buggy is really fun to drive, but it doesn't add a whole lot of gameplay beyond those things yet.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Driving around the SRV is pretty drat fun, even though the controls are awful and there seems to be nothing useful to do with it

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Driving around the SRV is pretty drat fun, even though the controls are awful and there seems to be nothing useful to do with it

Especially when boosting over a hill and discovering there's a gigantic crater right behind it

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

For travelling around in a buggy I like to flip it to cruise control mode and ever since I started doing that I find it's a lot easier to get around. Uses the FA key I think.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

Phi230 posted:

I ended up getting horizons cause I had some extra cash in the bank and I felt like trying out some space dune buggies.
However, on reading up on ways to increase empire ranks so I can get a clipper, I found a post somewhere that is pretty quick on money and rep with empire but requires planetary landings.

Here's the info if you or anybody else wants to use it.

I took my vulture over about 17 jumps to HIP 10716, Morgan Depot(this will require an advanced scanner to unlock- it's at 1A planet) and accepted a bunch of "Cut the Power" and "Performance Review" missions through logging on/off of Public/group/solo mode.
Once I had whatever amount I felt was enough, you circle the planet to Fernandes Depot, shoot the generator, then shoot the little drones, then head back to the planetary station. All of the missions will go to this specific depot and all of the missions come from Empire related corps.

The missions pay out in a range from roughly 10k to 350k each and the ranks go up fairly quickly, probably faster than donation missions overall. The higher paying 150k to 350k missions are fairly common as well, so depending on how many you stack, you are looking at a couple million per run. The run itself takes about 15-20 minutes at most, and the accepting missions are reliant on RNG gods or whatever the hell the mission bulletin runs on for the missions to appear, but they all seem to be on at least a 3+ hour timer for completion so you can take quite some time to collect and then do the run.

From what I was reading, you can do this in a smaller/faster ship like an asp, as you don't really take much if any damage at all if you kill the generator fast enough(turrets shut down when the generator is killed).
As for the drones, there are a few that fly around, but if you get as close as like 300 meters to the depot more fly out that you can shoot.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Pretty much all issues with controlling the SRV are resolved by slowing the gently caress down.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

timn posted:

Pretty much all issues with controlling the SRV are resolved by slowing the gently caress down.
I'll slow down when I'm dead!

(from plummeting 2km into a crater)

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

BR0ME0 posted:

I've been wanting to play this game for so long, have they released ANY update on a PS4 version? I haven't been able to find any real news on it.

Nope, no real news so far. Probably won't hear anything at all until the XBox timed exclusive lapses.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played this in over a year, but now I'm getting that space trucking itch again. I have 3 questions google failed to answer though

1. Is (non-rare-thing) trading still fat stacks of cash once you have some credits to deal with?
2. Are autocannons still really bad dps because they can't do decent damage to shields?
3. I noticed getting bounty vouchers even when a bunch of NPCs were shooting at my targets. Was I just lucky or did this get fixed?

e:

This is really nice info, thanks.

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 23, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Just to expand on this…

Eryxias posted:

From what I was reading, you can do this in a smaller/faster ship like an asp, as you don't really take much if any damage at all if you kill the generator fast enough(turrets shut down when the generator is killed).
As for the drones, there are a few that fly around, but if you get as close as like 300 meters to the depot more fly out that you can shoot.

…once you've figured out the layout of a station that is a repeating target for a “cut the power” mission, you can generally spot the generator from really far away and complete the mission pile by using a fixed beam to snipe the thing in a Sidewinder from 1km+ out. The turrets have gently caress-all range and you just need a steady hand to sit safely outside their max range (or not so steady if the gravity is low enough — then the ship won't move an inch). However, that generally means foregoing the skimmer missions, since they get really annoying with that kind of setup.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

Tippis posted:

. However, that generally means foregoing the skimmer missions, since they get really annoying with that kind of setup.

I've been using the large gimbled pulses on my vulture, and while they miss quite a bit, I've also never had the skimmers try to attack my ship except for when i get extremely close.
Also it only takes about 2-3 hits each, and most of the skimmer missions are to hit about 2-6, so it still doesn't take too much more time overall.

As for the generator, since you can't target it, I just keep things untargeted and shoot straight at it. Generally it doesn't last long enough for turrets to take more than a few shots if any at all.

edit: Here is a copy of the base layout I found:

Eryxias fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 23, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Eryxias posted:

I've been using the large gimbled pulses on my vulture, and while they miss quite a bit, I've also never had the skimmers try to attack my ship except for when i get extremely close. Also it only takes about 2-3 hits each, and most of the skimmer missions are to hit about 2-6, so it still doesn't take too much more time overall.

Yeah, I'm coming at more from the perspective of “how low can you go”, and it's hard to go lower than Sidewinder with a single fixed beam. So you can start doing those missions pretty much from day hour 1. :D

If you scale up from there, you can obviously start packing better and more capable weaponry.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Tippis posted:

Just to expand on this…

…once you've figured out the layout of a station that is a repeating target for a “cut the power” mission, you can generally spot the generator from really far away and complete the mission pile by using a fixed beam to snipe the thing in a Sidewinder from 1km+ out.

That's not how you spell "dumbfire missile rack" :colbert:

e: It fucks up the skimmers too.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BMan posted:

That's not how you spell "dumbfire missile rack" :colbert:

e: It fucks up the skimmers too.

I suck at aiming and need the constant feedback (and infinite ammo) of beams. What can I say. :ohdear:

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
A dumbfire missile rack should work very well.
I just kept the large pulses on my vulture because they don't sell replacements at this station and i didn't want to be without them when I head back.
....Also I'm lazy.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Tippis posted:

I suck at aiming and need the constant feedback (and infinite ammo) of beams. What can I say. :ohdear:

Good news! The blast radius is ludicrously huge!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I just wish there was any way at all to identify the correct generator. I mean when it's the fuel pump generator and the base only has say defence and operations generators or whatever. I blow them both up, nothing happens, spend ten minutes looking for a hidden third one or whatever. Then I either give up or get killed by a turret. I want to like it but it's terribly designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
I haven't done any other missions other than this place, but here at HIP 10716 it only gives missions to kill the turret generator.
I've edited my post up the page earlier with a location graphic as to where it sits in the complex

• Locked thread