Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I hung out with stoners and junkies and freaks in high school, so they largely didn't do much in the way of bullying, although one girl who I had a huge crush on definitely killed my self-esteem for the majority of my high school life.

One guy did try to set me on fire though. He was a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Golden Goat posted:

I've been playing Arcade games and i'm finding some cool poo poo:

http://i.imgur.com/hh0vErv.gifv
This is Armoured Warriors and it's sweet for a Beat'em up. You can swap out arms and guns and legs for all sorts of different attacks and weird poo poo. Only problem is it's a clusterfuck like all beat'em ups in later levels.

I want to find more cool arcade games now.

It's really sad that so many of the most visually striking and fundamentally fun beat-em-ups are ruined by being arcade exclusives and thus tuned for quarter munching rather than a fun difficulty curve.

Heck, the home version of King of Dragons is more fun than the arcade one despite the huge visual and audio downgrade!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bloodychill posted:

We had lockers but they were just big enough to fit a very fat raccoon into. People got into fights. I got into a fight a couple times. Nothing big, just more like wrestling until we were tired out. Physical bullying was extremely rare, mostly people were just very lovely to each other verbally if they felt inclined to bully.

I now feel bad for posting that stupid 8bit mages image. I didn't make it but I take full responsibility for what came out of its wake with the exception of the piss mage image, which made me chuckle.

lol sounds good, my school was p rough so many fights, knives getting pulled etc.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

bloodychill posted:

We had lockers but they were just big enough to fit a very fat raccoon into.

It sounds like there's a story behind this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's really sad that so many of the most visually striking and fundamentally fun beat-em-ups are ruined by being arcade exclusives and thus tuned for quarter munching rather than a fun difficulty curve.

Heck, the home version of King of Dragons is more fun than the arcade one despite the huge visual and audio downgrade!

a lot of arcade games would have switches on the board for difficulty so you can usually tone them down to a more acceptable level.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stux posted:

a lot of arcade games would have switches on the board for difficulty so you can usually tone them down to a more acceptable level.

They're still going to suffer from the last levels just being a complete clusterfuck of reused enemies.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Ciaphas posted:

did anyone here ever get legit shoved (or do the shoving) into lockers, door closed and all

dunno about you lot but we either didn't have lockers or they were tiny cupboards

Yeah, actually. I moved to the south unfortunately right before 9/11. For my skin colour, I was called sand-friend of the family consistently, had my stuff stolen, told to kill myself, was threatened with a knife, told to leave america and go back where I came from (which is Canada, I guess), had milkshakes thrown at me, etc. I'm not an easy guy to beat up (so I rarely ever was, except by this one linebacker in highschool), but drat the verbal insults can actually hurt more.

A couple months ago I was walking to a CVS only for some fat guy to yell "allah-lalalalalala" out the window of his car and that's in Baltimore.

It's kinda insane but that's life.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

They're still going to suffer from the last levels just being a complete clusterfuck of reused enemies.

oh yeah for sure but its usually enough to make it an enjoyable experience overall insntead of a complete pain

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, I'm just mourning the fact that it condemns them to "really fun to play through once" instead of being Actual Classics.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There was a beat em up based on the movie Hook and it was good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I'm just mourning the fact that it condemns them to "really fun to play through once" instead of being Actual Classics.

well, there is at least one arcade game that is a Legit Classic

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Stux posted:

well, there is at least one arcade game that is a Legit Classic

Isn't that ninja batman whatever game that the AVGN featured?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i liked that simpsons game that seemed to be everywhere in the 1990's

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

This exemplifies my main issue with beatemups, wtf is going on?

I got threatened "I will destroy you" by a football kid in HS. In front of the main office, surrounded by my friends. I just smiled and let him yell. To be fair I was laughing and making fun of him because he earlier tried to get in a fight with the varsity tennis player that also placed 3rd in the state for body building.(which in rural America is pretty impressive)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I know a dude who named his first kid Rufio.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Instant Sunrise posted:

i liked that simpsons game that seemed to be everywhere in the 1990's

The only time I ever beat that was when the guy who owned the machines at our pizza place came in to fix them and he gave us like 50 free credits on the thing. My sister and I sat and played for over an hour. The last boss (Burns) was so much bullshit that I needed to spend a couple dollars on top of that to win.

Color Printer posted:

It sounds like there's a story behind this

Yeah, there was a prank but it was years before I attended so I didn't get to see it happen but it was funny that at one point, a teacher had to expressly say we couldn't keep animals inside our lockers.

Ravane posted:

Yeah, actually. I moved to the south unfortunately right before 9/11. For my skin colour, I was called sand-friend of the family consistently, had my stuff stolen, told to kill myself, was threatened with a knife, told to leave america and go back where I came from (which is Canada, I guess), had milkshakes thrown at me, etc. I'm not an easy guy to beat up (so I rarely ever was, except by this one linebacker in highschool), but drat the verbal insults can actually hurt more.

A couple months ago I was walking to a CVS only for some fat guy to yell "allah-lalalalalala" out the window of his car and that's in Baltimore.

It's kinda insane but that's life.

Living in the southwest, most people assumed I was hispanic or something but I graduated from HS in 01 so it might have been a little uglier if it had been later. Hispanic friends and coworkers always say I look like Seth Rogan for some reason. I have kind of a mild jew fro going on, I guess?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bloodychill posted:

The only time I ever beat that was when the guy who owned the machines at our pizza place came in to fix them and he gave us like 50 free credits on the thing. My sister and I sat and played for over an hour. The last boss (Burns) was so much bullshit that I needed to spend a couple dollars on top of that to win.

reminds me of the time once when i went to the bowling alley and somehow the time crisis machine got stuck on infinite credits for player 1. i think i beat the game about 3 times before we had to leave

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Stux posted:

reminds me of the time once when i went to the bowling alley and somehow the time crisis machine got stuck on infinite credits for player 1. i think i beat the game about 3 times before we had to leave

Time Crisis 1 was amazing and probably my favorite game to try to ironman behind Metal Slug X. I've also had a really hard time finding it in arcades these days on the offchance I find an arcade to actually go in.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My favorite arcade rail shooter is house of the dead 2

Second is ocean hunter

third favorite is whatever that Fireman themed rail shooter is called

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

bloodychill posted:

Living in the southwest, most people assumed I was hispanic or something but I graduated from HS in 01 so it might have been a little uglier if it had been later. Hispanic friends and coworkers always say I look like Seth Rogan for some reason. I have kind of a mild jew fro going on, I guess?

Yeah, a few people assumed I was hispanic as well. I graduated HS in 2011. But elementary and junior high school in the Bush era was rife with ignorance and hatred from my peers, primarily because of the war and what everyone's parents were saying. People were far more tolerant in college, but it's insane how much a little intolerance by parents can be reflected by their children.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I wasn't bullied a ton, mostly got punched because I was being an rear end in a top hat (quelle surprise). Thankfully being lilly white and being able to pass well as a woman I get very little shade thrown my way but being trans loving sucks because I'm constantly worried about how people are looking at me.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I had no idea that there was a Hook beat 'em up. That's kind of amazing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stux posted:

Happened to me in a random arcade once and it was one of those machines with multiple games on. We managed to get all the way through Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and halfway through The Punisher before anyone noticed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That happened to the Virtual ON cabinet at the student union at UNLV while I was there. an impromptu tournament was immediately organized upon discovery

I took fourth of 12 with that robot that throws out hearts for her cannon :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Happened to me in a random arcade once and it was one of those machines with multiple games on. We managed to get all the way through Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and halfway through The Punisher before anyone noticed.

no one noticed for me so one of the other kids who had started watching got to carry on the legacy

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

No locker shoving in my childhood but a guy in my ap physics class hid in a cupboard to see if the teacher would notice/care

He didn't

I wish I could've enjoyed arcades as a kid but the only ones were at the movie theatre and it was a loonie per game instead of a quarter :canada:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

When I was in high school my school did a deal with another school to take in all their super violent students and never expell them so both schools would look better when it came to funding. They spent most of high school terrorizing me and everyone else. Now the school is super safe and has a really nice football field and people can have long hair without getting their rear end kicked.

I am very angry a/b this.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jyrraeth posted:

No locker shoving in my childhood but a guy in my ap physics class hid in a cupboard to see if the teacher would notice/care

He didn't

I wish I could've enjoyed arcades as a kid but the only ones were at the movie theatre and it was a loonie per game instead of a quarter :canada:

Should've gone to your local Chuck E Cheese lookalike fucker.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Lurdiak posted:

When I was in high school my school did a deal with another school to take in all their super violent students and never expell them so both schools would look better when it came to funding. They spent most of high school terrorizing me and everyone else. Now the school is super safe and has a really nice football field and people can have long hair without getting their rear end kicked.

I am very angry a/b this.

in elementary school, i had other kids try to strangle me on two different occasions and the administration didn't want to do anything about it. my parents pulled me out of there and home schooled me for my middle school years.

yeah...

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I was really funny so I got by on my charm and wit.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This troper is a Tsundere Action Girl who is probably smarter than L even though she's 13, and people think it's a good idea to push her down, trip her, call her names, shout about her Cloudcuckoolander-ness, stalk her, and repeatedly ask her out after she's said NO. (I'm quite pretty. I'm not self-centered, I just take after my grandmother. Who looks 30 years younger than she IS.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

I was really funny so I got by on my charm and wit.
So uh... what happened?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Lady Naga posted:

Should've gone to your local Chuck E Cheese lookalike fucker.

I lived at the edge of town (at the time) and I think the closest equivalent was like 30 mins away. Calgary is very spread out

Once I was old enough to go to Chinatown i played cheap DDR and uhhhh that rhythm game where you wave your hands around

Edit: Para Para!! the machine wasn't in english so we thought it was super cool and we kept selecting the wrong things

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 22, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FactsAreUseless posted:

So uh... what happened?

Grand piano fell on me :(

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

Grand piano fell on me :(

My brother died the same way.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jyrraeth posted:

I lived at the edge of town (at the time) and I think the closest equivalent was like 30 mins away. Calgary is very spread out

Once I was old enough to go to Chinatown i played cheap DDR and uhhhh that rhythm game where you wave your hands around

this isn't what you're talking about but taiko drum master owns so have some anime drums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VUQ73Q-gOw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trip report: Day of the Tentacle still owns

Although I've played it so many times I can start laughing before someone says the line

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

oddium posted:

this isn't what you're talking about but taiko drum master owns so have some anime drums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLTTpCovtVA

anime drums is way less awkward to watch than anime ... uhh arm waving

its surprisingly difficult even on easy stages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also you should've visited the Pladium!!!! It sucks now :(

• Locked thread