Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Net Worth: goiter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
G.D.P.: Goiter Domestic Product

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have graduated from goiter

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Revert to goiter is clearly the best one :colbert:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Sorry, no update today: I stupidly decided to develop a fever instead. At least it's not goiter v:shobon:v

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Or worms.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Covski posted:

Sorry, no update today: I stupidly decided to develop a fever instead. At least it's not goiter v:shobon:v
Are you sure? :raise:

Get well soon!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Looks like the developer is jumping on the MMO bandwagon.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
God, I need sleep because I read that as Worms of Goitercraft and went o.O;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

silversatyr posted:

God, I need sleep because I read that as Worms of Goitercraft and went o.O;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

The combination of Rasuna's two favourite health problems!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Covski posted:

Have you checked your neck recently? Fevers are a known sign of lurking goiters, and we all know goiters prefer to ambush their prey.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Coolguye posted:

getting caught up but hold on just got to the second life and now i get to post this image

But seriously, how did that came about? I'm imagining that the developer either put in a full goiter translation option as an easter egg that has a 0.0001% chance to trigger or it's there as a copy protection thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HardDisk posted:

But seriously, how did that came about? I'm imagining that the developer either put in a full goiter translation option as an easter egg that has a 0.0001% chance to trigger or it's there as a copy protection thing.

Or Coolguye cheated and replaced every string they could find with "goiter".

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HardDisk posted:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Or Coolguye cheated and replaced every string they could find with "goiter".

Likely this. I remember a couple of 'shoops like this floating around /b/ or /v/ when this game first came out and I became aware of it.

Even back then running through this game a couple times on my /b/-frequenting friend's laptop after I found it there and wondered what it was, I could tell that the chance for goiter was way out of whack, without people pointing it out to me with stuff like that.

I remember getting a couple of China games going and moving to cities to work better, and a couple of Euro ones as well. Not many Africa games that I remember where I didn't almost immediately restart since they usually turned out lovely and died immediately. Only hosed around with the game a couple days before I for bored with it (and the constant goiter got to be too big of a joke for me to continue taking it seriously), although the facts that they gave you from time to time at least could be interesting to read sometimes. The game was also very preachy about constantly nagging you for charity donations, and that got tiring after a while.

Also, random (wild?)fires constantly hitting the country where I'm living and not affecting me at all (couldn't they y'know, narrow down the area that the fire was affecting to your area of the country or not your area of the country, and not display the latter? Guess that's a bit too much granularity for a "game" like this made so cheaply with basic designs for educational purposes, but with all the data contained within, you would think they could differentiate that, especially with the thing where rebellions break out in certain provinces of the country you're in and not effecting you besides the popup...)

I think the one I remember the most vividly is having a Mexican woman suffering from leprosy so much so that she got disfigured from it, but was still able to get married and have a child (daughter, I think) after the leprosy set in. She was still able to get a college degree, move to the US (legally!) and find work as a schoolteacher and living a relatively long and fulfilling life. I would think that having disfiguring leprosy would curtail all of that and she'd die (relatively?) young(?) in a (literal) leper colony or hospice for lepers, but I guess having that disease and having it progress after not having it treated to the point where you're permanently disfigured didn't prevent her from fulfilling her dreams... :unsmith:

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 16, 2016

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
It was as a result of this thread that I asked the tech (?) who was prepping me for a blood donation the other day how people who had iodine allergies (which he asked me about) avoided goiters. He didn't know. My cursory Google research has also not given me an answer.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

nerdpony posted:

It was as a result of this thread that I asked the tech (?) who was prepping me for a blood donation the other day how people who had iodine allergies (which he asked me about) avoided goiters. He didn't know. My cursory Google research has also not given me an answer.

My understanding is that when people say they have an iodine allergy, they mean that they've had a reaction to either a topical antiseptic (usually something called povidine-iodine), or they've had a bad reaction to intravenous contrast that used as part of some imaging. From what I've read, there have been no reported cases of allergies to potassium iodide salt, which will dissolve into potassium and iodide ions when you eat it. There shouldn't be an issue avoiding goiters as the people sensitive to antiseptics or contrast get enough iodine in their diet like anyone else.

I haven't looked at immunology in a while, but I don't think it's possible to allergic to iodine/iodide on its own because it's way too small for a fit with any of the immune receptors to activate an allergic/immune response. That being said, this isn't my field of expertise, so please don't go make your friend with an "iodine allergy" shotgun a liter of dissolved iodine to show him that he's wrong.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
Thanks! I had sort of figured it was something like that, but it's nice to have someone who actually knows things about science confirm.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The life of Rasuna Habibie (née Irawan), part eight

Rasuna is firmly decided to devote the rest of her life to improving Indonesia's situation in any way she can, despite her husband's suggestions that they might be able to move abroad.

Age 32

Hubby picks up a new career as a shoemaker, less stimulating but providing a more stable income than his handicrafts ever did.

Rasuna's big sis recovers from the depression she has struggled with for a while.

An odd thing about the game is that it usually tells you when relatives recover from health problems, rather when they develop them. There are quite a few arbitrary exceptions to this though v:)v

Rasuna's oldest daughter is off to school. They grow up so quickly :3:

Age 33

Rasuna and Ken-Dedes have another baby, another healthy baby boy. They name him Mukmin.

The family is growing bigger, and they are all in good health.

Big sis has another daughter, and continues the family tradition of having pretty poor imagination when picking baby names. Rasuna feels honoured, though.

Rasuna has always been a melancholy woman, but her mood takes a turn for the worse. After weeks of mostly lying in bed, Ked-Dedes insists that she talk to her doctor about it. His suspicions are confirmed.

:smith:

Age 35

Apparently, Rasuna's mother had been suffering from OCD for a while, but she's better now.

Rasuna's oldest son begins school as well.

Age 36

Nothing much happens. Rasuna's depression even prevents her from carrying out her usual activism.

Age 37

When Rasuna's father is diagnosed with stomach cancer it is already too late to do anything about it. He passes away after a short struggle, a sudden ending to a long hard life.

Age 38

Her father's death changes something in Rasuna's outlook on life. Slowly, she starts to pull herself out of her depression and is eventually back to her old self. No happier than before, but with a renewed devotion to making her country better.

Mukim begins school as well.

Age 40

A look at the family. The children are growing up, and they are able to save up quite a bit of money despite having quite decent living conditions and donating a small fortune to charity.

They are eating well now. Rasuna is quite determined that her children are going to be allowed to eat all the iodine they can ever want.

Age 41

Rasuna's mother's mind is starting to go in her old age. Rasuna and those of her siblings who still live in the village take turns to take care of her.

Age 42

Rasuna's return to political life has not gone unnoticed by the powers that be. Again, she is arrested in the early morning. Again, Rasuna refuses to talk.

And once again, the authorities turn out to have worse bark than their bite.

Rasuna's poor senile mother now has malaria as well. She may not be long for this world. :smith:

Age 43

Remember Hadjar, the unlucky brother who kept getting hit by cars and falling and hurting his brain and being filled with worms? He has diabetes now :saddowns:

Speaking of being hit by cars, Ken-Dedes suffers the same fate later that same year. He isn't hurt as badly as Hadjer was back in the day though.

Age 44

Raden graduates from secondary school. Higher education is no more in the cards for her than it was for Rasuna, though.

Ken-Dedes is hit by a car again, on the very same stretch of road as last time. He is rapidly developing a slight phobia for venturing out in the street.

Age 45 - 46

Nothing of particular interest happens. The struggle continues.

Age 47

In her confused state, Rasuna's mother wanders out late one night and and breaks her hip in a bad fall. She never recovers, and dies a few weeks later.

Rasuna inherits quite a bit of money from her parents.

It seems that the entire inheritance always goes to the player character, no matter the number of siblings. It's also interesting to note that both parents beat their life expectancy by three years (72 years for women and 67 years for men).

Sukarno graduates as well, and is engaged to a unusually bright girl shortly afterwards.

Age 48

The health of Rasuna's older siblings keep declining, as her big sister is diagnosed with asthma.

Sukarno becomes the first of Rasuna's children to marry! :toot: He and Ridwan makes a beautiful couple, and Rasuna is very proud.

Age 49

Ken-Dedes comes down with tuberculosis, the most deadly disease in the world by number of deaths yearly.

Age 50

Saleh, one of the baby brothers, has worms again.

Rasuna's youngest son graduates, and is quick to marry a smart girl from a wealthy family.

Age 51

More old age pains among the siblings. Of course, Mahisa-Campaka is only a year older than Rasuna.

Raden asks permission to marry her long-time boyfriend. Although Rasuna would have preferred her to find a more morally principled man, she can see why her daughter would be attracted to such a handsome, talented and intelligent man. Seeing no reason to deny her daughter her shot at happiness, she and Ken-Dedes give their permission.

The marriage is one of the largest events the village has seen for a long time.

Age 52

Almost a year later to the day, Rasuna's first grandchild is born.

More happy news, as Ken-Dedes recovers from his tuberculosis, after having been at death's door at several occasions.

(His health was down to the single digits, so I was surprised that he actually survived!)

Age 53

Rasuna's younger brother drinks himself to death, having never amounted to anything in his life.

Age 54

Rasuna's eyesight is growing progressively worse from cataracts, causing her some trouble at work.

Still she and her family is in quite decent health, with only one of her three living children suffering from goitre!

Covski fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 21, 2016

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I decided to make up for the lack of updates recently by making a huge one! I'm going to split it into two though, so no vote this time (not that there would be much left to vote on). Next update coming later today or tomorrow, so feel free to discuss the plethora of new horrific health problems we encountered in this update until then! :)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rasuna's getting cataracts just in time to become the crazy old seer woman of the village. I suggest we go this route and help many young heroes begin their quests.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Ramos posted:

Rasuna's getting cataracts just in time to become the crazy old seer woman of the village. I suggest we go this route and help many young heroes begin their quests.

Quests against the despotic government. :unsmigghh:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I think the Indonesian Security Police are running over Ken-Dedes with their cars on purpose to get back at Rasuna for her activism.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I think goiters might just be a genetic thing with this family, seeing as one of the kids has one even with an ample diet.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
"Congratulations, it's a goiter!"

"Mom, this is my new goiter, Goiter."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Covski posted:

It's also interesting to note that both parents beat their life expectancy by three years (72 years for women and 70 years for men).

If male life expectancy is 70 then he didn't beat it at all.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

He didn't exceed his life expectancy, either.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

GhostStalker posted:

Likely this. I remember a couple of 'shoops like this floating around /b/ or /v/ when this game first came out and I became aware of it.
it's this, for what this is worth. i saw it a lot in /v/ back in like 2008 when this game was actually kind of relevant, so when i saw this LP being run i grinned because i knew i'd get to post it eventually

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

I think goiters might just be a genetic thing with this family, seeing as one of the kids has one even with an ample diet.

Yeah, jokes aside goitre is a thing even in first world countries. In fact, my mother irl has had goitre my entire life! Having grown up in a household affected by goitre, I must say I find you guys making light of this extremely serious issue in v bad taste :colbert:

Tiggum posted:

I meant 67 of course, fixed it :downs:

Update coming this evening, but if any of you were hankering for more depressing stories about Indonesia before then, I just stumbled across this in the news. :smith:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The life of Rasuna Irawan, part nine

Age 55

All of Rasuna's children continue the family tradition of collecting scrap for a living. Rasuna is disappointed, but it seems the pattern of poverty in rural Indonesia is hard to break.

It's odd that all of the children started working at the same time, I think it might have been triggered by switching some expenditures around.

Here you can clearly see the individual difference in pay despite having the same occupation. Age and genders are definite factors, with Raden earning less than half as her younger brother, although I wonder if personal stats also affect pay.

All the children move out that same year. (also Sukarno has worms for a bit)

This is quite certainly triggered by the fact that they all started working this year - children will tend to move out as soon as they are able.

Age 56

Rasuna and Ken-Dedes are alone in the house again, and are saving up quite a lot for retirement.

Raden's first son and Rasuna's second grandchild is born. Rasuna can't help to worry about what kind of world he is to grow up in.

Age 57

Another grandson is born. Rasuna can't shake the feeling that she should be able to feel happier about this than she does.

Age 58

Rasuna's oldest brother has lung cancer. The doctors don't expect him to live long.

Age 59

After her children move out, Rasuna's activism intensifies. After holding a protest speech in the regional capitol, she is arrested once more. Now that her children no longer rely on her for support, she is more determined than ever to tell them nothing.

This time, however, they are less lenient on her.

Besides the effects on your stats, being imprisoned means that you also have no income for the period. This is especially bad if you have a well-earning job which you are unlikely to be able to reapply for when you get out.

While in prison, she learns that Hairun is now struggling with seizures as well as the cancer.

Not only that, but her only sister dies from a sudden stroke. Rasuna's petition to be allowed to attend the funeral is denied.

The birth of a fourth grandchild gives her some small comfort, however.

Age 60

Rasuna spends a long year in prison. She makes several attempts to start writing her memoirs, before deciding that she doesn't have neither the skill nor an interesting enough story to tell.

Age 61

Rasuna is released from prison, and is greeted by a large crowed upon leaving the prison. Her sacrifices and decades of hard work has granted her an almost legendary status among Indonesian activists. She even gets her old job at the NGO back, despite her failing eyesight and the risk they take hiring a former political prisoner.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Only weeks afterwards, Rasuna's brother dies form a heart attack. It is a sobering thought, given that he was only one year older than her. Rasuna still feels there are a lot of thing she can accomplish in her lifetime.

Age 62

The next year, her older brother passes as well. It was expected, after his long struggle with the disease.

Age 63

Apparently, heart disease runs in the family.

Just like worms.

Age 64

That heart disease takes brother-Manusama at seventy years of age, the same age father-Manusama was when he passed.

Raden has her fifth child. Egomaniac that she is, she names the daughter after herself.

Age 65

Life goes on.

Age 66

There seems to be very little good news anymore. Now Rasuna's youngest sibling's lungs seem to be giving up on him.

Age 67

Again, Rasuna is arrested. The security forces seem to balk at imprisoning an aging, half blind old lady though.

Sukarno's first son is born. Rasuna wonders how the child will remember his grandmother as he grows up.

Age 68

One day coming home from work, Rasuna almost stumbles over her husband lying dead atop a pile of shoes to be mended. Of all the deaths in recent years, this is the one that hits her the hardest. Ken-Dedes was one of the few people she had ever known who could ever make her smile, except for her children.

Age 69

The death of her husband radicalises Rasuna further, despite the pleas of her children. She leads a picketing action against the home of one of the exploitative large land owners of the area. This time the security forces have no choice but to sentence her to a long prison sentence, despite her advanced age. Many doubt that she will ever see freedom again.

Rasuna's health is failing, and it seems to her that her sight grows more blurry with every passing day.

Another funeral missed. Rasuna has now outlived both her younger siblings.

She misses the birth of her youngest son's first child as well.

Age 70

As a propaganda stunt, the government makes a big show of providing Rasuna with surgery to fix her eyes. She would have refused, if they had given her the option.

Another grandchild is born, and is named after Sukarno's aunt.

Age 71

The much touted cataract surgery seems to have been an unsurprisingly shoddy job, and soon enough her vision is almost as bad as it was before.

Age 72

Hadjar surprises the family by dying at a ripe old age. Rasuna is now the only surviving sibling out of eight.

Age 73

Rasuna is released from prison. There is much celebrating, but Rasuna doesn't attend.

The family grows larger.

Age 74

Rasuna is much too old to continue her work, but she can still take care of the youngest of the village even if she cannot see very well. She is much appreciated by the children, and it gives her some small measure of joy in her autumn years.

She is still as active as she can be, even though she spends an increasingly large amount of her time in prayer.

Luckily, she has quite a bit of money saved up so as not to be a burden on her children.

Again she is arrested, but even the security forces find it hard to motivate locking her up at this point. Her back is bowed but unbroken.

Age 75

As time goes on, she has less and less strength to keep fighting against injustice, but she remains and example to many others who continue the struggle to change the country for the better.

Age 76

For the last months of her life, she is nearly blind and almost entirely bed-ridden. After fighting a case of pneumonia for almost two weeks she passes away surrounded by her children and grandchildren, as well as many of those who looked up to her for inspiration. In her final moments she wishes she could have done more for her country, but as bleak as her life was, she doesn't regret a single thing.

Hundreds of people turn up for her funeral.

Rasuna Irawan's final stats.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

First of all, please compose your eulogies for Rasuna.

Next, let's talk about where this LP is going from here:

First of all, should we do another random life, or try our hands at creating a custom character?

Secondly: Should the next run be done as I did with Yu and Rasuna with frequent thread votes, or decide on a general personality from the start? The second alternative would mean less frequent but longer updates, and probably make the lives go a bit more quickly. Give me your thoughts!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
She never stopped fighting. She gave thousands of her fellow citizens a Rasuna live.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't know how much customization you can make. It could be interesting to see what the game would make of starting in a country that was in state of war in 2006. I assume there would be some unique events related to that? Obvious choices would involve Afghanistan, Iraq, DRC, Somalia, Turkish Kurdistan?

Alternatively, is it possible to start in North Korea?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As for eulogy: Looking back at Rasuna's life and accomplishments, we can for once swell up with pride, rather than with goiter.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Rasuna: Iron will, iron gut, gentle heart.

Not a bad way to be.

steinrokkan posted:

Afghanistan, Iraq, DRC, Somalia, Turkish Kurdistan?

Alternatively, is it possible to start in North Korea?

I'd definitely like to see a life in one of the nightmarish parts of the world, like DPRK, DRC, somalia too. Life expectancy there being what it is, it'll probably be a quick look before we go to another, fuller life.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Put my vote down for DRC.

I don't think a goon-vote run could stay out of prison for more than a few months in North Korea.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
As much a hero as the one after which she was named. Bowed. Bullied. Unbroken.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm interested in a North Korea run myself. Looking forward to three degrees of punishment.

E: Actually I'm curious. Can you emigrate anywhere in the game because starting off in some first world country and leaving for North Korea sounds hilarious.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Can we do a Vatican run?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

Can we do a Vatican run?

ChaseSP posted:

E: Actually I'm curious. Can you emigrate anywhere in the game because starting off in some first world country and leaving for North Korea sounds hilarious.

I think the way forward is clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cathode Raymond posted:

I don't think a goon-vote run could stay out of prison for more than a few months in North Korea.

If we want to have the full experience of the Democratic People's Republic, we'd have to start in there.
Camp 14 is literally something out of a dystopian nightmare. If I would read a fictional book about that place I would dismiss it, because it's unrealistically over the top.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 22, 2016

• Locked thread